Mwanaharakati Zara Kay akabiliwa na mashtaka ya kuwa na uraia pacha nchini Tanzania. Hati yake ya kusafiria yachukuliwa na Vyombo vya Usalama

Miss Zomboko

JF-Expert Member
May 18, 2014
Mwanamke wa Australia amekamatwa na kushtakiwa nchini Tanzania muda mfupi baada ya kukosoa jinsi Rais wa Tanzania anavyoshughulikia janga la COVID-19 katika chapisho la mitandao ya kijamii.

Zara Kay, raia wa Australia ambaye alizaliwa nchini Tanzania, aliambiwa afike kituo cha polisi katika jiji la Dar es Salaam mnamo Desemba 28 kabla ya kuzuiliwa kwa saa 32.

Polisi Nchini Tanzania wamesema mwanaharakati huyo anakabiliwa na mashtaka ya uhamiaji ya kuwa na uraia pacha na jalada la kesi yake limeshaandaliwa

======
An Australian woman has been arrested and charged in Tanzania shortly after criticising the Tanzanian President's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic in a satirical social media post.

Zara Kay, an Australian citizen who was born in Tanzania, was told to attend a police station in the city of Dar es Salaam on December 28 before being detained for 32 hours.

Australian citizen Zara Kay runs the women's rights group Faithless Hijabi SUPPLIED
Authorities confiscated the Monash University-educated activist's Australian passport before bailing her on December 29.

In a tweet posted on her account on January 1, Ms Kay said: "I'm out on bail, thank you all for the support. I'm still quite traumatised from everything. Please don't stop fighting for me. They can try shaking me, but they won't break me".

The arrest, first reported by the ABC, has sparked renewed concern about Tanzania's crackdowns on activists critical of the government.
20210103_145535.jpg
20210103_145545.jpg

Zara Kay, Australian citizen and campaigner for ex-Muslim women arrested in Tanzania | ABC News

Published on 3 Jan 2021

Supporters of Ms Kay say she was summoned to a police station in the city of Dar es Salaam on December 28, then held in custody for 32 hours.

Ms Kay is understood to have been charged over a satirical social media post critical of the Tanzanian President's handling of COVID-19, as well as not returning her Tanzanian passport after gaining Australian citizenship.

Ms Kay renounced her Islamic faith and campaigns globally for women's rights. She's the founder of Faithless Hijabi, which supports women who have renounced their faith them. FDAT has confirmed it's providing an Australian national with consular assistance in Tanzania.

Source : ABC NEWS (AUSTRALIA)

More : Zara Kay, Australian citizen and campaigner for ex-Muslim women arrested in Tanzania | ABC News - The Global Herald

More : Australian citizen and campaigner for ex-Muslim women Zara Kay arrested in Tanzania

More : Concerns grow about outbreak in west as case numbers rise – as it happened
The Australian government is providing consular assistance to Zara Kay, 28, the founder of Faithless Hijabi, a group set up two years ago to support women who are ostracised or face violence if they leave or question Islam.
Kay tweeted on 28 December she was “going into the police station because someone reported me in for blasphemy” and a few days later told her supporters she was out on bail but “still quite traumatised from everything”.
“Please don’t stop fighting for me,” she wrote. “They can try shaking me, but they won’t break me.”

Is this an issue for a national debate? Who is this? Suppose she is like any other with a feeble mind!
There you go, AGAIN! But I know, you still wouldn't admit the "feeble" education causing all this.

What makes an issue become a "National debate"? Why would one have a "feeble mind" by simply questioning the rationality of a decision taken by a dictator?

An Australian ex-Muslim women’s rights activist faces “politically motivated” charges in Tanzania, including for a tweet allegedly critical of the country’s president, according to her supporters.

The Australian government is providing consular assistance to Zara Kay, 28, the founder of Faithless Hijabi, a group set up two years ago to support women who are ostracised or face violence if they leave or question Islam.

Kay tweeted on 28 December she was “going into the police station because someone reported me in for blasphemy” and a few days later told her supporters she was out on bail but “still quite traumatised from everything”.

“Please don’t stop fighting for me,” she wrote. “They can try shaking me, but they won’t break me.” The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said on Sunday it was “providing consular assistance to an Australian in Tanzania”. But a spokesperson said Dfat would not provide further comment “owing to our privacy obligations”.

The case was first reported by the ABC on Sunday. The International Coalition of Ex-Muslims issued a statement saying Kay had been held in police custody for 32 hours from 28 December “without an initial clear indication of charges” and had her passport confiscated.
It said she would be required to return the police station in Dar es Salaam, the administrative capital, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the charges relate to three issues, including “a social media post deemed to be critical of the president of Tanzania” over the handling of Covid-19 in the east African country.

The International Coalition of Ex-Muslims said Kay was also accused of not returning her Tanzanian passport after gaining Australian citizenship, but added that “she never returned her Tanzanian passport as she misplaced and never used it after gaining Australian citizenship”.

The coalition said the final issue was the use of a mobile sim card registered in a family member’s name rather than her own name, under legislation that the group said “has been used to persecute other high-profile cases”.
“We believe these charges are politically motivated,” the coalition said.

“The International Coalition of Ex-Muslims reiterates its call on the Tanzanian government to immediately drop all the charges against Zara Kay and allow her to leave the country … We also call on the Australian authorities to intervene and get Zara home to safety.”
Kay, who was raised a Shia Muslim in Tanzania, told the Australian newspaper in 2019 that she had been forced to wear the hijab from the age of eight but took it off when she moved to Australia to study in her late teens.

She has renounced Islam and campaigns to help people who struggle when they similarly leave the faith. Kay has held speaking events in Australia on the topic: “Losing your religion can be hard, and for some, it can be fatal”.

Christians comprise about 61% of Tanzania’s population of 59 million people, while Muslims represent about 35%, according to past estimates, and it does not have blasphemy laws. The Australian newspaper reports that Kay faces sedition charges.

It is understood the types of assistance provided by Australian consular staff can include visiting prisons to monitor welfare, checking with local authorities about the Australian’s wellbeing, and providing contact details for local lawyers.

But consular staff typically notify Australians in trouble overseas that they cannot provide direct legal advice, intervene in legal cases or get Australians out of prison.

Back
Top Bottom