MTV Africa Music Awards 2008!

Steve Dii

JF-Expert Member
Jun 25, 2007
Parade of stars as MTV Africa Music Awards with Zain holds tomorrow
updated: Friday 21-11-2008

AFTER weeks of preparation, the maiden edition of the MTV Africa Music Awards with Zain (MAMAs) will come up tomorrow, Saturday, November 22, 2008, at the Velodrome, Abuja.
Rhym2.jpg

Featuring an array of local and international music stars, among whom are one of America’s finest rappers, Nasir Oludara Jones, popularly known as Nas.

According to Zain’s Chief Marketing Officer, Norman Moyo, other artistes who have confirmed participation at the awards include Kelly Rowland, The Game, Florider, Cassette, HHP, Jozi, Samini, Juacali, Naeto C, Asa, 9ice, Ikechukwu, 2face, P-Square and D’banj.

The Awards will be broadcast on MTV Base (DStv Channel 322, GTV Channel 40), partner networks and terrestrial television channels such as AIT (Nigeria), STV (Nigeria), RTGA (Democratic Republic of the Congo), TV3 (Ghana), NTV (Kenya), TBC (Tanzania) and WBS (Uganda), from November 29, 2008.

Moyo said the idea of bringing an array of international stars to the awards demonstrates Zain’s willingness to always explore opportunities that will allow for cross-cultural musical experiences, adding that being the brand most associated with music in Africa, the company would continue to contribute immensely to the development of music on the continent.

Meanwhile, there is unmatched excitement in the musical/entertainment circle as fun-loving Nigerians look forward to the forthcoming MTV Africa Music Awards with the international telecommunications giant, Zain (MAMAs).

There are indications that the Awards, the first of its kind in Nigeria, will be attended by Nigerians from all walks of life. In addition, senior officials at the different levels of government have indicated their desire to be part of the event.

Investigations in Abuja revealed that most of the top class hotels in the city are already fully-booked by individuals and organisations desirous of attending the event. The rush to get tickets for the awards has also reached a feverish and unprecedented level. For most entertainment personalities spoken to, ‘the awards is a must attend event’.

MAMA tickets are sold in Lagos at The Silverbird Galleria and Planet One and in Abuja at the Nicon Luxury Hotel, and the Mediterranean Entertainment Centre. According to a sales agent at the The Silverbird Galleria, “there have been great demand for the tickets. People are really excited about the awards and I doubt if we will be able to meet the demand for tickets because we have just very few left”.

The nominees at a glance
BEST FEMALE

Wahu (Kenya)
Asa (Nigeria)
Dama Do Bling (Mozambique)
Sasha (Nigeria)
Zonke (South Africa)

BEST MALE
Jua Cali (Kenya)
2Face (Nigeria)
D’Banj (Nigeria)
DJ Cleo (South Africa)
HHP (South Africa)

BEST LIVE PERFORMER
Samini (Ghana)
D’Banj (Nigeria)
P-Square (Nigeria)
Cassette (South Africa)
Jozi (South Africa)

BEST GROUP
P-Square (Nigeria)
Freshly Ground (South Africa)
Jozi (South Africa)
The Parlotones (South Africa)
East African Bashment Crew (Uganda)

BEST ALTERNATIVE
Buraka Som Sistema (Portugal)
Goldfish (South Africa)
Seether (South Africa)
The Parlotones (South Africa)
Coldplay (UK)

BEST HIP-HOP
9ice (Nigeria)
HHP (South Africa)
Professor Jay (Tanzania)
Lil Wayne (USA)
The Game (USA

BEST R&B
P-Square (Nigeria)
Akon (Senegal / USA)
Loyiso (South Africa)
Alicia Keys (USA)
Rihanna (USA)

ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Asa (Nigeria)
D’Banj (Nigeria)
P-Square (Nigeria)
HHP (South Africa)
Seether (South Africa)

BEST NEW ACT
Kwaw Kese (Ghana)
Wahu (Kenya)
9ice (Nigeria)
Naeto C (Nigeria)
Da L.E.S. (South Africa)

BEST VIDEO

Movaizhaleine (Gabon) – Nous
Ikechukwu (Nigeria) – Wind Am Well
P-Square (Nigeria) –Roll It
Freshlyground (South Africa) – Pot Belly
Pro Kid (South Africa) – Uthini Ngo Pro.

Source: tribune.com.ng

--------------------------------------------
Check majirani watani zetu jinsi walivyo na wawakilishi wengi.... Wabongo MMOJA pamoja na minjonjo yote ya bongoflava.... daah. Tutafika tu...

SteveD.

Nigerians sweep MTV Africa awards
By Tomi Oladipo
Abuja
BBC News Online

_45232366_wahu_getty226b.jpg

Wahu was emotional as she collected her prize for best female

Nigerian artists dominated the MTV Africa Music Awards (the Mamas) on their own turf in the capital city Abuja, scooping six of the 10 awards.

D'banj won both the artist of the year award and the best male award, crowning a successful year for the self-proclaimed "entertainer".

Fellow Nigerian rapper Naeto C won best new act, while 9ice won the best Hip-hop award.

Kenyan singer Wahu, who was overcome with emotion, was named best female.

She tearfully dedicated the award to her husband, fellow musician Nameless, and to her daughter who, she said, "is to young to understand how much she inspires me".

Fusion
BBC 1Xtra's Trevor Nelson hosted the show in front of a crowd of 5,000 fans in the stylishly shaped Abuja Velodrome.

_45232373_game_getty226b.jpg

The Game performed at the ceremony

Nigerian duo P-Square, who had five nominations, only managed to take home one prize for best group.

Despite not winning, the disappointed twin brothers thrilled the crowd with their stage act.

South Africa hip-hoppers Jozi won the award for the best live performers.

However, Ghanaian artist Samini revealed he was not happy the live award had gone to a "group that plays CDs and mimes".

He added: "If you say 'live' then the music has to be with a band.

"I'm not picking names but I think that the best live performer should go to a live band artist.

"I'm sorry if I'm being harsh here but I'm trying to be straightforward. If I watch you on TV and I see you with a live band, then you better do it on stage for me."

There was a cameo appearance by US rapper The Game, who gave a brief medley of his hit songs.

There were also performances by the rapper's compatriots Flo-rida, and Kelly Rowland.

Other live acts included Seun Kuti, 9ice, as well as HHP from South Africa, but it was the assortment collaborations that stole the show.

HHP came back on stage to join Nigerian singing sensation Asa on her song Jailer, and Rowland performed alongside D'banj.

But the biggest fusion was that of South African rockers Cassette, Kenyan rapper Jua Cali, and Ikechukwu and Naeto C.

American R&B singer Alicia Keys gave a video acceptance speech for winning the best R&B award, as did South African band Seether, who won the best alternative award.

Mama Africa

The legend gong went to the late Fela Kuti, the Nigerian pioneer of Afrobeat. The award was received by the star's children, Yemi and Seun.

_45232379_rowland_getty226b.jpg

Kelly and Nigerian artist D'banj performed together

Speaking of Kuti, Nelson said: "He was the first man I ever heard, all the way from the UK, when I heard African music for the first time it came from this man.

"There could only be one person, only one recipient."

Kuti's children joked in their acceptance speech that they would "not take this award to him yet".

"We'll keep it in our house, and when the times comes then we'll take it to him."

Out of the 11 awards given out on the night the legend award was the only one that was not chosen by the fans.

Winners were selected by fans sending text messages.

There was also a tribute to "Mama Africa" Miriam Makeba, the South African singer who died just over a week ago.

Winners each received a Golden Microphone trophy, which has a futuristic microphone emerging from a globe of the world, with the African continent symbolically placed at the top of the world.

Even though this was an African event there were some non-African artists nominated in different categories, including Lil Wayne, The Game, Coldplay, and Keys.

African music videos were also recognized, with Nigeria's Ikechuku winning the award for the best video for his song Wind am well.

BEST HIP-HOP
9ice (Nigeria)
HHP (South Africa)
Professor Jay (Tanzania)
Lil Wayne (USA)
The Game (USA

...Hivi Professor Jay alikua anashindana na Lil Wayne na Game?...mmmh?

Tutafika tu especially kama mambo ni haya....

2887d1226924724-bongofleva-na-ushoga-afande.jpg

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom