The Qaadhi Court System in Tanzania: History, Challenges, and Controversies

Mtanganyika

JF-Expert Member
Jul 18, 2007
Bismilah
I wanna take a different look of Qaadhi court, as majority of you heard a lot of analysis from Muslim and non Muslim, from those who have idea to those who have nothing. But our aim in life is to learn, and when you learn to tend to quit our ignorance.

Where is Qaadhi court system came from in Tanzania? Why this time of the year? And why they didn't established it in 1961? All this are questions that soar to people minds without any truly answers. I will try as much as i can to explain what is Qaadhi, does it ever exist in Tanzania before, and what are resistance it facing. Inshallah, i believe Allah knows the best and i will try my best

Qaadhi court system is the Islamic court system that deals with marriage affairs, this includes custody of children's, divorce and willing under Islamic sharia. Sharia is like a law, however western tend to make big deal out of it, but lets focus on the topic.

Tanzania Muslim were using Qaadhi court system until 1963 when the system was abolished. In 1964 Tanzania parliament gave power minister of Legal Affairs to create Islamic marriage statue that will deal with Islamic marriages. With assistance from Islamic Organizations at that time, the minister of legal affairs finalize the statue in 1964, and the law was created and amended in Tanzania marriage statue. However this statue didn't not includes some important issues like divorce and children custody, however Tanzania government promised it will change it, but it never happened.

There are many controversials concern how to create Qaadhi court in Tanzania that i personal concern, and i mentioned them on previous threads.
It is my believe that in order for this court to run it will require money from Tanzania main government. Tanzania government run through collections of taxes, which come from different people of different religions and beliefs. In addition those taxes does not have any stamp to show this come from Muslim or christian. So, i believe it is not right to use the money of all citizen to fund organization which will benefit few people.

In 2005 Jakaya Kikwete and CCM create CCM strategy of election of the year 2005-2010, which includes establishment of Qaadhi court in Tanzania. What CCM forget is Tanzania is controlled by constitution and not Ilani Ya Uchanguzi Ya CCM. CCM due to their greediness of votes, they promise Muslim they will create Qaadhi court soon as they get aboard. However they forget that government is not affiliated in any religions affairs, and that is in Tanzania constitution of 1964, as Mwalim said "Nchi yetu haina dini, ila wananchi wetu wana dini, kuna waislam and kuna wakristo".

Tanzania government listen to BAKWATA(Baraza Kuu La Waaislam Tanzania). This organization is a peace of garbage, yes i mean it just a peace of garbage which includes old people with few knowledge of Islam. The organization as misleading many Muslim in Tanzania in a lot of affairs, in a favor of either their own interest or government interest. To establish Qaadhi court under BAKWATA will not work because few of the people on that organization have either little or no knowlegde at all about the whole spectrum of Qaadhi. Also there is a lot of differences between BAKWATA and other Muslim association includes Tanzania Ansar Sun nah Association, to let BAKWATA lead the move it will just increase arguments and few people will benefit, because majority of Muslim does not trust this organization any more.

Qaadhi court is runed by senior Qaadhi, which there is procedures under Islamic law to elect this leader. If Qaadhi will be under government that means president will elect the Qaadhi, what if it will happen that president is not Muslim? Under Quran it is forbidden for non Muslim to elect the Muslim leader. So who will elect Qaadhi judge?

If Qaadhi will be elected by Islamic leaders with high fatwas and knowledge what will be the procedure to get those leaders? This is because many Islamic Organizations in Tanzania different opions concern leaders. For instance Ansar sunnah are defined as Mujahid, Shinashiri are defined as non Muslim by Bakwata. So, where the leader will come from to blend all muslim on one decision?

So, with all this differences and other factors, to initiate Qaadhi in Tanzania will be another dream come true to many BAKWATA's who want to benefit out of it. Apart from that Tanzania government is not obligated to fund any religious group under law.

In conclusion, Tanzania country has Muslim and Christian, each religion has its own law and order. Each religions has a right to speak out. So, if Tanzania recognized Islamic marriage, does it see the importance ratify and amend the Islamic marriage act of 1964 which doesn't talk about divorce and children custody? I believe Tanzania as a country due to its historical, culture and geographical it does not support Qaadhi court.

Allah knows the best, i just throw my opinions.

I wonder whether you deliberately used that version of english. But it is good - nothing is lost in translation.

Just a quick question on the topic, regarding BAKWATA.
This body was a creation of the government, right! So, its activities are funded by the taxpayer's money? If the answer is affirmative, why then not as well fund the Qaadhi court?

I wonder whether you deliberately used that version of english. But it is good - nothing is lost in translation.

Just a quick question on the topic, regarding BAKWATA.
This body was a creation of the government, right! So, its activities are funded by the taxpayer's money? If the answer is affirmative, why then not as well fund the Qaadhi court?

I'm not aware that Bakwata leaders are in Tanzania payroll, however if its so, the government is total wrong.

Mhhh Jamani hiyo english iliyotumika hapo juu, nadhani muda mwingine ni vyema tu watu wakatumia kiswahili kuliko kubaka lugha ya wengine na kuiharibu that much!

Samahani lakini uzalendo umenishinda hapa, hiyo lugha hapo ni mbaya na matumizi yake yameharibiwa sana! Unaweza kuniua lakini huu ni ukweli na kama huamini muulize profesa Rwabutomize akuambie.

Mhhh Jamani hiyo english iliyotumika hapo juu, nadhani muda mwingine ni vyema tu watu wakatumia kiswahili kuliko kubaka lugha ya wengine na kuiharibu that much!

Samahani lakini uzalendo umenishinda hapa, hiyo lugha hapo ni mbaya na matumizi yake yameharibiwa sana! Unaweza kuniua lakini huu ni ukweli na kama huamini muulize profesa Rwabutomize akuambie.

Mgaya, miye naona uzalendo haujakushinda bali uungwana ndiyo unaukalia.

Hata kama anakosea, lakini amejitahidi, pia ameeleweka kwa kile alichotaka kukisema. Uoga wa kuongea kile unachokijua kwa kuogopa matumizi ya lugha miye naona ni upuuzi. Na huu uoga wa kuboronga katika lugha ndiyo unaopelekea watanzania wengi kuwa nyuma kwenye kushiriki katika mambo mbali mbali kimataifa... ni aibu sijui, au.. Ona katibu mkuu wa umoja wa mataifa sasa hivi... je unataka kusema anaongea lugha ya kiingereza vizuri?! lakini amechaguliwa kwenye jukwaa linalotumia kiingereza. Kikubwa hapa ni kuwa na confidence na kile unachotaka kukisema au kukielezea...

Kumbuka pia Mh. Rais wetu alipo hojiwa na VoA miezi michache iliyopita, lugha yake ya kiingereza ni fasaha kabisa, lakini uelewa wake wa kile anachotaka kukisema au kukitetea ndiyo una utata zaidi..... mifano kama hii ni mingi, marais wengi tu wapo hawawezi hata kuongea kiingereza kuliko mh. Rais wetu, lakini utetezi wa maslahi ya nchi na wananchi wake ndiyo uko mbele... hata kama wanaboronga, point inakuwa imeeleweka.

Nenda kwenye mavyuo makuu ukaone Maprofessor wazima wengi tu kutoka Japan na China na kwingineko ambako lugha yao ya kwanza siyo kiingereza jinsi wanavyo ongea, lakini ni wataalam wa maswala yao.. Wanafunzi bado wanawaelewa na wana graduate kuwa wataalam bora tu bila kuadhibika na matumizi mabaya ya lugha kutoka kwa waalimu wao masomoni.

Kijakazi naye alisema vitu kama hivyo kwenye thread hii http://www.jamboforums.com/showpost.php?p=96136&postcount=6. Tulimshangaa kiaina na kumwelekeza. Kuwa pamoja na kupenda lugha yetu na kuithamini ipasavyo, lugha ya kiingereza nayo ni muhimu kama unaifahamu...walau kujitahidi kuandika pale unapoona unanafasi.

Kikubwa kimoja nikuwa Mtanganyika kaonyesha anajitahidi walau kuandika, basi badala ya kumbondea tu mpe changamoto ya kusisimua ili ajiendeleze zaidi.

SteveD.

Ukweli ni kwamba Mtanganyika kaelezea hoja yake vizuri alivyotaka bila ya lugha kuwa kikwazo. Mimi nadhani pengine alifanya hivyo maksudi tu, kwani pointi zake zimenyooka vizuri na kueleweka, licha ya kutumia lugha hiyo kama alivyoitumia.

Nadhani huu utumizi wa lugha namna hii nao ni ufundi wa aina yake.

Mimi ningeshauri hapa kwa kuwa wanaingia watanzania wa aina mbali mbali sasa ili tuweze kueleweka kwa ufasaha zaidi ni vema tukatumia kiswahili zaidi kuliko kutumia lugha ya wakoloni.

Mimi ningeshauri hapa kwa kuwa wanaingia watanzania wa aina mbali mbali sasa ili tuweze kueleweka kwa ufasaha zaidi ni vema tukatumia kiswahili zaidi kuliko kutumia lugha ya wakoloni.

Mtu, hiyo hoja nzuri, lakini muhimu kukumbuka ni kuwa Lugha zetu za Taifa Tanzania ni mbili: Kiswahili na Kiingereza. Unauhuru wa kutumia lugha upendayo ili mradi iwe ya Taifa na unatumia lugha hiyo kwa kujua walengwa wako wanakuelewa.

Kuhusu hilo la lugha ya wakoloni..sijui...ila kumbuka kuna Wachina zaidi ya billioni moja na ushee, na millioni 300 yao wanaweza kuongea au kutumia Kiingereza, na sidhani kama wanasema hiyo ni lugha ya wakoloni...

SteveD.

The power of choice,
Free nation and free country.... We can use any language we wish, without any fears.

Sasa tunajadili mada au lugha!!!!!!??? Maaana mpaka sasa sijasikia mtu akisema hajaelewa mada!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom