Ministers' luxury cars to be sold off to help Kenya's refugees

Nyambala

JF-Expert Member
Oct 10, 2007
Wakati sisi tukiendelea na porojo kuhusu mashangingi majirani zetu haoooooooo!

Wizara yetu ya miundo mbinu ijiandae kwenda mnadani hapo september watuongezee mashangingi mengine!

Kenyan car sale to help refugees

_45913276__41272446_cars226.jpg

Repossessed cars will be sold by September

Kenyan ministers have been told to give up their plush cars and limit themselves to a single vehicle with a small fuel-efficient engine. All extra cars and those with an engine capacity of more than 1,800 cc will be confiscated and sold by September, the finance minister said.

Money from their sale will be used to house those still displaced after last year's post-election violence, he said.

Some 300,000 people fled their homes and thousands still live in camps.

But Uhuru Kenyatta, who is finance minister in the power-sharing government that took office in April 2008 after a deal to end the violence, did not give any further details about how the internally displaced people would benefit.

o.gif

The large power-sharing cabinet has come in for criticism for its cost to the taxpayer.

And the BBC's Noel Mwakugu in the capital, Nairobi, says people are sceptical about whether ministers will actually give up their flash cars.

A similar proposal was made in last year's budget, but never carried out.

However, Mr Kenyatta arrived at parliament to deliver his budget in a relatively modest Volkswagen Passat (2,000 cc) rather that the 3,000 cc S-Class Mercedes usually favoured by ministers, our reporter says.

He also announced a moratorium on the purchase of government vehicles and said officials with a car would be given a monthly fuel allowance.

"I have discussed all these measures with the prime minister and the president and let me clarify that no official vehicle is exempt," he was quoted by Kenya's Capital FM as saying.

Nitaunga mkono hiyo hatua but still its not enough.They have to reduce spending in all spheres.Kwenye magari is just a portion of the spending na serikali ihakikishe hizo hela zinawafikia walengwa mana mradi wowote wa serikali una ufisadi ndani yake!

Nitaunga mkono hiyo hatua but still its not enough.They have to reduce spending in all spheres.Kwenye magari is just a portion of the spending na serikali ihakikishe hizo hela zinawafikia walengwa mana mradi wowote wa serikali una ufisadi ndani yake!

Lakini at least tungeanzia hapa maana sisi inaonyesha ni watalamu wa kuongea tu utekelezajji sufuri

Kenya maneno tu!! We have heard this 4 so long now!

Easier said than done.
Uzalendo ni zero,hamna commitment,tamaa zimejaa vionozi wetu.
Nadhani its high time nchi zetu za Afrika zianzishe lessons za uzalendo mana Afrika kwa kweli or future is doomed!

Easier said than done.
Uzalendo ni zero,hamna commitment,tamaa zimejaa vionozi wetu.
Nadhani its high time nchi zetu za Afrika zianzishe lessons za uzalendo mana Afrika kwa kweli or future is doomed!

That is very right mkuu, please soma kuna thread nimeianzisha - This is so nice - "Tired of the leaders of the people"

This is the freshest news from Kenya. I really do appreciate for this one very action that proves that Uhuru puts his money where his mouth is.

No hot air here unlike most East African politicians.

If , and I say if, Tanzanian politicians could emulate this, then it would be a welcome and exemplary leadership from Kenya

Kudos to Uhuru. Rwanda has done it. Kenya can too. And the rest of Africa should follow suit.

I was disappointed to hear a minister say eti he couldn't give up his gas-guzzler because it distinguished him from a teenager. I thought to myself, "what an idiot!". To give this initiative a much needed shot in the arm, Presidential and Premier convoys should be made up of a few economy cars. The Indian Premier uses a very basic car (Chairman) and has never had qualms with it. Though risks to top govt heads may be considered.

Its time African rulers realised that pompousness is not prosperity; frugality is not poverty.

Najaribu ku imagine wazungu wanafikiria nini wakiona Kiongozi wa Kiafrika akizunguka dunia nzima ndani ya latest state-of-the-art Gulfstream G550 huku ameshikilia bakuli la omba omba.

Back
Top Bottom