Mh. Mwakyembe : TRL na TAZARA tujifunze ubunifu wa kuongeza mapato toka KONKAN Railway India

bagamoyo

JF-Expert Member
Jan 14, 2010
Wadau na Mh. Mwakyembe,

Nimeona insi kampuni ya reli sehemu ya pwani ya magharibi ya India iliyofanya ubunifu kuongeza mapato yake kwa kubeba malori ya mizigo badala ya makontena na kwa ajili ya maelezo ya kina nimeona bora kunukuu habari hii toka vyanzo ambavyo zina uzoefu huu.

Tusome na kuangalia picha na video na kujiuliza kama nasi hapa Tanzania kwa kutumia miundo mbinu ya reli za Tanzania Railways na TAZARA kampuni zetu hizi haziwezi kuiongezea mapato maradufu kwa kuanzisha usafirishaji wa RO - RO services hata kama utakuwa wa vipande vipande iwe ni mahandaki ni kizuizi lakini lazima kuna vipande vya reli ambapo usafiri huu unawezekana.

TRL DSM-KIGOMA RO-RO services DSM- MWANZA RO - RO services kuhusu TAZARA watatafuta sehemu ambazo hazina mahandaki (tunnels) n.k kama ni kizuizi cha DSM - New Kapiri Mposhi, basi wafanye usafiri wa vipande. Soma hapo chini tuone manufaa ya aina hii ya usafiri-bunifu kuongeza mapato ya mashirika ya reli:

July 24, 2012
Times of India Newspaper

Konkan railways plans sixth rake for its popular RORO services

MANGALORE: Buoyed by steady growing demand for its roll on roll off (RORO) services that sees trucks being carried point-to-point on railway flats, Konkan Railway is planning to go in for a sixth rake to meet the same after this monsoon. Started in January 1999 with 522 trucks being carried in that fiscal (1998-99), RORO services since then cumulatively has carried 2,54,731 trucks at the end of last fiscal netting total revenue of Rs 205.60 crore. Konkan Railway operates RORO services on Kolad-Verna (Goa) sector, Kolad-Surathkal sector and Ankola-Surathkal sector. While the demand for RORO services is heavy on the first two-sectors, Konkan Railway operates rake on Ankola-Surathkal sector on demand. The running time between Kolad-Verna, a distance of 417-kms in 8-10 hours, Kolad-Surathkal (721-kms) is 21-24 hours, and Ankola-Surathkal (205-kms) in 3-5 hours.
Source: Konkan railways plans sixth rake for its popular RORO services after monsoon - Times Of India

WHAT EXACTLY IS RO - RO services

Last weekend, I went to Ratnagiri with a couple of friends. We drove over NH 17, all the way from Mumbai to Hatkhamba.
This is one of the best times to drive on this road. The route goes up and down the hills and valleys. The whole landscape is wet and green. The number of shades of green that you get to see is unbelievable. This is the paddy region. So the fields are flooded with water. You see numerous rivulets and waterfalls on the way. I was getting very nostalgic. This was the route on which I had cycled from Mumbai to Goa. We actually saw a group of people cycling between Mahad & Chiplun and I was tempted to do the trip once more.

We stopped for Lunch between Kolad and Mahad. As we were eating, we heard the typical sound of a passing train. When we turned to see the train, we didn’t see bogies, but a series of trucks. The sight was confusing. The trucks were all moving at the same speed, in a straight line making the sound of a train! Then it dawned on us. The trucks were travelling on a train.
wlemoticon-smile1.png

I was intrigued. Why put trucks on a train? How many trucks are transported? How are they put on the train? So I decided to do some research and what I learnt was quite amazing.

This scheme of Konkan Railway, known as RO-RO (roll-on roll-off), was started on 26th January, 1999, has enabled carrying loaded trucks directly on the railway wagons thus reducing the expenditure and savings on Fuel, wear and tear of tyres, maintenance of trucks for the truck operators.

Trucks are loaded through a ramp provided at the dead-end of a loop on BRN wagons which have been suitably modified for through passage of trucks over them. Before loading over the BRNs, the trucks are weighed and passed under a height gauge (maximum height – 3.4 metres above road level) to ensure that they conform to the maximum moving dimensions for safe passage. The driver and cleaner of the truck travel along, sleeping in their truck cabin. The trucks are firmly mounted on the flat bed.

You can see a video showing the trucks being loaded on the train here.
The service is available between Kolad ,145 Km from Mumbai, and Verna, a total distance of 417 kms. Between Kolad and Suratkal (721 Km), Verna and Suratkal (304 Kms). Delivery by Ro Ro is within 12 hours for Kolad-Verna, within 20 hrs for Kolad-Surathkal, and five hrs for Verna- Surathkal, which by road would take at least about 24, 40 and 10 hours respectively. During last five years the number of trucks carried increased from 18,172(2005-06) to 37,620 (2009-10). It has also reduced the truck traffic and the pollution on the NH-17.

I have seen cars and two wheelers being transported on road, in specially built trucks. It would be fun to see these trucks being transported on the trains. Then we will have wheels on wheels on wheels.
Source: Wheels on Wheels | Makarands Musings

source: Ro-ro service konkan rail youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom