Makala Hii ya Kikwete kwenye Jarida ni Mashtaka dhidi yake, chama na serikali yake!

Mzee Mwanakijiji

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2006
Opinion

Health is Tanzania's priority
Publish Date: Jan 31, 2012

By Jakaya Kikwete
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on maternal and child health are lagging far behind target. Although Africa has just 12% of the global population, it accounts for half of all maternal deaths and half the deaths of children under five. In Tanzania, attendance at prenatal clinics is over 94% but only 50% give birth at proper health facilities. It is not like in the United States where giving birth at home is a matter of choice. In our part of the world, women are unable to reach proper medical help at their most vulnerable time. I was born under the hand of a traditional birth attendant and I grew up healthy and strong to become the President of my country. It is my hope that we can provide the same opportunity to every child.

Once, when I was a Member of Parliament, I was visiting a village out in the countryside when I witnessed firsthand the very problem that we are trying to address. As I was examining a local farm, I noticed four people on the nearby road struggling to place a huge basket on top of a bicycle. It appeared from a distance to be quite a difficult task. I continued on with my meeting but as we drove back into town, we passed these same villagers only a few kilometers from where I had originally seen them.

We stopped to see if we could offer any help. What we found was that the large basket on top of the bicycle contained a woman in labour. In fact, she had been in labour for three days and was not able to deliver.

This woman's family was attempting to transport her 28 kilometers to the nearest health centre on the back of a bicycle because she was unable to walk. I decided that those of us who were passengers would give up our seats so that this woman and her family could reach medical help as quickly as possible. As I waited on the side of the road for our car to return, I worried for this woman and I contemplated what might have happened to her and her unborn child.

Our car returned and we made our way to the city where we met up with the woman and her healthy newborn baby boy. I was relieved that this woman was no longer in danger and this woman was so relieved to have a healthy son that she gave him my name.

This story reminds me every day of the unnecessary pain that so many women suffer and why we have made maternal health a top priority. It is unacceptable to allow mothers and children to die when we have the knowledge and resources to save them.
Governments in Africa have taken it upon themselves to invest in healthcare. When I came into office in 2005, healthcare was the 6th largest budget expenditure and now it is the 3rd largest after infrastructure and education, which indirectly have a relationship with health in one way or the other.

Maternal and child health are at the top of the list. But we are governments of poor countries. There is a scarcity of medical personnel in Africa. The ratio of doctors to patients in Tanzania is 1:25,000 and the ratio of nurses to patients is 1:23,000. While the ratio in the United States is 1:300.

Our government has taken serious measures to address this shortage of health professionals by increasing enrollment in health colleges. In fact, enrollment has increased fourfold over the past three years. In 2007 there were 1,013 students attending health colleges and now there are 6,713. Our goal is to reach 10,000 students by 2015.

Though global maternal deaths are in decline and women's health has at last become a global priority, our goal of reducing maternal mortality by 75% in 2015 is still a long way off. Women and children are still dying needlessly. We must continue to invest in training for doctors, nurses, facilities, and increased health proficiency and demand more of ourselves than ever before.
We must also educate and provide the tools necessary to combat malaria deaths. The majority of malaria victims are pregnant women and children below five years of age.

In fact, children under the age of five account for 90% of the approximately 60,000 malaria deaths in Tanzania each year and pregnant women that contract malaria have a high risk for complications. That is why I have started a new anti-malaria campaign named Malaria Haikubaliki which translates to Malaria is not acceptable and seeks to promote awareness and increase measures to protect against the disease.

Last year, the United Nations General Assembly launched the Global Strategy for Women's and Children's Health and already over $40b has been committed to this initiative. The Global Strategy calls for the support of all stakeholders in order to enhance financing, strengthen policy and improve service delivery for the most vulnerable women and children.

This means supporting country-led health plans through sustainable investment, integrating health delivery services so that women and children can have access to medical attention whenever needed, and providing stronger health systems with skilled health workers. In real terms, what this means for the world's 49 poorest countries is saving the lives of more than 15 million children under the age of five and 570,000 women who currently die due to preventable causes. Successful implementation would also result in valuable benefits such as:

• 43 million more users with access to comprehensive family planning;

• 19 million more women giving birth supported by a skilled health worker, with the necessary infrastructure, drugs, equipment and regulations;

• two million more neonatal infections treated;

• 22 million more infants exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life;

• 15 million more children fully immunised in their first year of life;

• 117 million more children under five receiving vitamin A supplements; and,

• 85,000 more quality health facilities and up to 3.5 million more health workers available.
I am proud to co-Chair the Commission on Information and Accountability for Women's and Children's Health, along with Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada in order to establish a framework to monitor global commitments for maternal, newborn, and child health and ensure committed resources save as many lives as possible. It is critical that all partners translate their commitments into action.

In order to meet our goals, we must track resources and meet commitments, providing transparency, credibility and efficiency. All of these efforts must be supported by a unified, global accountability structure. High-income countries must maintain their commitments and low- and middle-income countries must continue to invest in their own health infrastructure.
It is my goal to make sure that we stay focused on the core objectives of maternal, newborn, and child health and that we provide stakeholders with a consolidated framework to take coordinated action.

Low-income countries will continue to shoulder the greatest burden of maternal and child mortality but I believe that our work will set a renewed momentum and focus to accelerate progress towards reaching the objectives of Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 by 2015.

The writer is Tanzania's President
Source: Global Health and Diplomacy Magazine

After paying a cursory view on the article, I failed to find any problem when a country's president explains to the world about the hardships facing his people regarding health issues. He has made a graphic presentation of the scale of Malaria and poor health services which are the major culprits responsible for millions of avoidable deaths across the developing world. Despite my pessimism about his ability as the president, I would this time hand him credit for this kind of presentation.

This article is an attempt for him to appear pragmatic and pro-active especially because it includes details of an initiative whose leadership was shared by him and prime minister Harper of Canada. However, inadvertently it sculpts a direct indictment on his regime's record of ridiculous delivery of even the most basic social services.
Reading through it one cannot help but smell a heavy odour of abject hypocrisy that easily deceives anyone not privy to the situation in the country. He mentions resource tracking, transparency, credibility, efficiency, etc. while he fully knows none of these principles exist in the DNA of his pathetic regime.
Finally, the article wasn't written by him, his office possibly provided local details and added a few lines along to beef up the context, but the article must have been put together by someone either in the US or Canada.

rais ameweka makala nzuri, ila msimamo wake dhidi ya ufisadi unaifanya hii makala kuwa kama jokes kwa wananchi wake

After paying a cursory view on the article, I failed to find any problem when a country's president explains to the world about the hardships facing his people regarding health issues. He has made a graphic presentation of the scale of Malaria and poor health services which are the major culprits responsible for millions of avoidable deaths across the developing world. Despite my pessimism about his ability as the president, I would this time hand him credit for this kind of presentation.

So, it seems the notion of two faces suites you quite well. How could you argue stating health status to the world is significant in solving health issues domestically? is there a correlation there?

You missed the point. Yote aliyoyaweka ni mazuri kweli na kwa kweli ni ya kweli japo some figures siyo sahihi. Lakini anayatenganisha na uongozi wa serikali yake, chama chake na yeye mwenyewe. Ni kana kwamba haya aliyotuelezea ni matatizo yaliyoshushwa na shetani!

JK should walk his talk! What I hate about JK is his sweet talk but does nothing about it. The Tanzanians have known him and the international community is gradually discovering him. Just imagine a few years ago, how he used to be highly regarded in almost in all international forums he attended... but now...nobody cares about him. Frankly, JK is a big disappointment; in any egalitarian society he would gracefully bow out even before his second tenure ends or his party would have recalled him. Sad that we do not have this culture!

You missed the point. Yote aliyoyaweka ni mazuri kweli na kwa kweli ni ya kweli japo some figures siyo sahihi. Lakini anayatenganisha na uongozi wa serikali yake, chama chake na yeye mwenyewe. Ni kana kwamba haya aliyotuelezea ni matatizo yaliyoshushwa na shetani!

So what would you have expected the article look like? That he should have thrown the blame upon his own government for the floundering health system in his own country? Had he done that the whole world would have labeled him the most clownish president.

So what would you have expected the article look like? That he should have thrown the blame upon his own government for the floundering health system in his own country? Had he done that the whole world would have labeled him the most clownish president.

thats why I said it; sikuwaandikia Waingereza. Kwamba aliyoyasema hapo ingekuwa ni "self incrimination". Fikiria mtu anaitwa kuelezea kwanini watoto wamekutwa wamekufa kwa kuangukiwa na ukuta wa nyumba yake. Halafu anaanza kuelezea "Unajua nyumba yangu nilipoijenga kwa kweli sikuwa nimetumia udongo mzuri na mchanganyo wa sementi na mchanga kwa kweli haukuwa mzuri. Mtu niliyemuajiri kuangalia ujenzi wa nyumba sikuwa nimemfanyia uchunguzi wa kutosha. Hata hivyo wakati nyumba imeanza kuonesha nyufa nilijaribu kuegesha miti ili isidondoke. Lakini wakati nilipokuwa najiandaa kufanyia matengenezo nikajikuta nimepata mke mwingine kwa hiyo gharama za harusi zikanifanya nichelewe kufanyia matengenezo". Watu ambao watakuwa wamemsikiliza watajua mara moja anachokifanya japo yeye mwenyewe alitaka aonewe huruma!

thats why I said it; sikuwaandikia Waingereza. Kwamba aliyoyasema hapo ingekuwa ni "self incrimination". Fikiria mtu anaitwa kuelezea kwanini watoto wamekutwa wamekufa kwa kuangukiwa na ukuta wa nyumba yake. Halafu anaanza kuelezea "Unajua nyumba yangu nilipoijenga kwa kweli sikuwa nimetumia udongo mzuri na mchanganyo wa sementi na mchanga kwa kweli haukuwa mzuri. Mtu niliyemuajiri kuangalia ujenzi wa nyumba sikuwa nimemfanyia uchunguzi wa kutosha. Hata hivyo wakati nyumba imeanza kuonesha nyufa nilijaribu kuegesha miti ili isidondoke. Lakini wakati nilipokuwa najiandaa kufanyia matengenezo nikajikuta nimepata mke mwingine kwa hiyo gharama za harusi zikanifanya nichelewe kufanyia matengenezo". Watu ambao watakuwa wamemsikiliza watajua mara moja anachokifanya japo yeye mwenyewe alitaka aonewe huruma!

Ndivyo ulivyoelewa hiyo makala..basi wewe huwa unaelewa vibaya kila siku..maradhi hayo

He's been in power for 6yrs out of 50yrs, or let's say 127yrs since this land had a government. If the maternal deaths/ under 5yrs deaths have decreased compared to when he was handed the presidency, then I can't blame him.....

We are not a trillion dollar economy ..... so, skyscrapers will always affect our Education, Health and food production.

He's been in power for 6yrs out of 50yrs, or let's say 127yrs since this land had a government. If the maternal deaths/ under 5yrs deaths have decreased compared to when he was handed the presidency, then I can't blame him.....

We are not a trillion dollar economy ..... so, skyscrapers will always affect our Education, Health and food production.

vitu vingine vinahusiana na sera, usimamizi wa sheria na utekelezaji wa sera hizo. Kama WHO wanatuma ujumbe kuwa vifaa x,y ni vibaya katika kupima HIV na viondolewe mara moja tunatarajia wahusika wanafanya hivyo mara moja. Inapochukua miezi tena baada ya mtandao kuandika ndio serikali inaitisha kuondolewa - haisemi watu wavirudishe wapi na watafanya nini vikirudishwa - kukitotea matatizo wakati huo wote serikali itakuwa inawajibika. Kama kina mama wanajifungua katika mazingira mabaya ambapo hakuna glovu za kutosha wakati mbunge anayekaa amesinzia Bungeni hatuwezi kusema ni mapenzi ya Mungu!

vitu vingine vinahusiana na sera, usimamizi wa sheria na utekelezaji wa sera hizo. Kama WHO wanatuma ujumbe kuwa vifaa x,y ni vibaya katika kupima HIV na viondolewe mara moja tunatarajia wahusika wanafanya hivyo mara moja. Inapochukua miezi tena baada ya mtandao kuandika ndio serikali inaitisha kuondolewa - haisemi watu wavirudishe wapi na watafanya nini vikirudishwa - kukitotea matatizo wakati huo wote serikali itakuwa inawajibika. Kama kina mama wanajifungua katika mazingira mabaya ambapo hakuna glovu za kutosha wakati mbunge anayekaa amesinzia Bungeni hatuwezi kusema ni mapenzi ya Mungu!

Hiyo sera mbadala na watu mbadala ndio tatizo la msingi sijui wanapatikana wapi??

Hiyo sera mbadala na watu mbadala ndio tatizo la msingi sijui wanapatikana wapi??

Kwa hiyo Topical unachosema ni kuwa hakuna sera mbadala au watu mbadala? Are you saying that this is the best our great nation can offer, leadership wise? Nafikiri wewe mwenyewe umesharesign kuwa hakuna sera nzuri zaidi ya hii tuliyo nayo na hakuna raisi Mtanzania mwenye uwezo kama wa huyu Raisi wetu wa sasa. Issue aliyoiraise Mwanakijiji ni kuwa raisi wetu anaziona shida hizo hizo zinazowakabili waTanzania kama tunavyoziona sisi, na ndiye mwenye uwezo wa kuzitatua lakini view yake ni kwamba kuna wengine ambao wanatakiwa kuyatatua. Ni ile culture ya omba omba ambayo tumezoea kiasi kwamba kila tatizo tunalopata tunachukulia kwamba tunaye wa kumlaumu.

Kwa hiyo Topical unachosema ni kuwa hakuna sera mbadala au watu mbadala? Are you saying that this is the best our great nation can offer, leadership wise? Nafikiri wewe mwenyewe umesharesign kuwa hakuna sera nzuri zaidi ya hii tuliyo nayo na hakuna raisi Mtanzania mwenye uwezo kama wa huyu Raisi wetu wa sasa. Issue aliyoiraise Mwanakijiji ni kuwa raisi wetu anaziona shida hizo hizo zinazowakabili waTanzania kama tunavyoziona sisi, na ndiye mwenye uwezo wa kuzitatua lakini view yake ni kwamba kuna wengine ambao wanatakiwa kuyatatua. Ni ile culture ya omba omba ambayo tumezoea kiasi kwamba kila tatizo tunalopata tunachukulia kwamba tunaye wa kumlaumu.

Hiyo sera mbadala na watu mbadala ingejitokeza (manifests) hata kwenye tatizo hili..

Madaktari wanawategemea sera za serikali na watu wa serikalini...(yaleyale)

Kwanini wasianzishe hospitali zao binafsi (waungane) waache kuomba omba serikalini..same culture you are trying to blame

Na wakati huo huo, kama kuna sera ambayo inanuia kuboresha afya na wabunge pamoja na mawaziri wameikubali, basi utekelezaji wake utakuwa mbovu aidha kutokana na wizi (through procurement), au upungufu wa fedha. Kama tatizo ni wizi na ufisadi, ni lazima medical officers wawajibishwe kwa sababu hivi vitu vinakuwa audited.
Kama tatizo ni fedha, basi tuchangie kodi au tutembeze kibakuli ..... si rahisi kwa rais kumwajibisha mganga mkuu wa wilaya kama fedha hamna, na si busara kumlaumu rais kama fedha hamna....
The best way is to either improvise or come up with a fat pocket.

Opinion

Health is Tanzania’s priority
Publish Date: Jan 31, 2012

By Jakaya Kikwete
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) on maternal and child health are lagging far behind target. Although Africa has just 12% of the global population, it accounts for half of all maternal deaths and half the deaths of children under five. In Tanzania, attendance at prenatal clinics is over 94% but only 50% give birth at proper health facilities. It is not like in the United States where giving birth at home is a matter of choice. In our part of the world, women are unable to reach proper medical help at their most vulnerable time. I was born under the hand of a traditional birth attendant and I grew up healthy and strong to become the President of my country. It is my hope that we can provide the same opportunity to every child.

Once, when I was a Member of Parliament, I was visiting a village out in the countryside when I witnessed firsthand the very problem that we are trying to address. As I was examining a local farm, I noticed four people on the nearby road struggling to place a huge basket on top of a bicycle. It appeared from a distance to be quite a difficult task. I continued on with my meeting but as we drove back into town, we passed these same villagers only a few kilometers from where I had originally seen them.

We stopped to see if we could offer any help. What we found was that the large basket on top of the bicycle contained a woman in labour. In fact, she had been in labour for three days and was not able to deliver.

This woman’s family was attempting to transport her 28 kilometers to the nearest health centre on the back of a bicycle because she was unable to walk. I decided that those of us who were passengers would give up our seats so that this woman and her family could reach medical help as quickly as possible. As I waited on the side of the road for our car to return, I worried for this woman and I contemplated what might have happened to her and her unborn child.

Our car returned and we made our way to the city where we met up with the woman and her healthy newborn baby boy. I was relieved that this woman was no longer in danger and this woman was so relieved to have a healthy son that she gave him my name.

This story reminds me every day of the unnecessary pain that so many women suffer and why we have made maternal health a top priority. It is unacceptable to allow mothers and children to die when we have the knowledge and resources to save them.
Governments in Africa have taken it upon themselves to invest in healthcare. When I came into office in 2005, healthcare was the 6th largest budget expenditure and now it is the 3rd largest after infrastructure and education, which indirectly have a relationship with health in one way or the other.

Maternal and child health are at the top of the list. But we are "BY CHOICE AND GREEDY OF THE " governments of poor countries. There is a scarcity of medical personnel in Africa. The ratio of doctors to patients in Tanzania is 1:25,000 and the ratio of nurses to patients is 1:23,000. While the ratio in the United States is 1:300.

Our government has taken serious measures to address this shortage of health professionals by increasing enrollment in health colleges. In fact, enrollment has increased fourfold over the past three years. In 2007 there were 1,013 students attending health colleges and now there are 6,713. Our goal is to reach 10,000 students by 2015.

Though global maternal deaths are in decline and women’s health has at last become a global priority, our goal of reducing maternal mortality by 75% in 2015 is still a long way off. Women and children are still dying needlessly. We must continue to invest in training for doctors, nurses, facilities, and increased health proficiency and demand more of ourselves than ever before.
We must also educate and provide the tools necessary to combat malaria deaths. The majority of malaria victims are pregnant women and children below five years of age.

In fact, children under the age of five account for 90% of the approximately 60,000 malaria deaths in Tanzania each year and pregnant women that contract malaria have a high risk for complications. That is why I have started a new anti-malaria campaign named Malaria Haikubaliki which translates to Malaria is not acceptable and seeks to promote awareness and increase measures to protect against the disease.
Last year, the United Nations General Assembly launched the Global Strategy for Women’s and Children’s Health and already over $40b has been committed to this initiative. The Global Strategy calls for the support of all stakeholders in order to enhance financing, strengthen policy and improve service delivery for the most vulnerable women and children.

This means supporting country-led health plans through sustainable investment, integrating health delivery services so that women and children can have access to medical attention whenever needed, and providing stronger health systems with skilled health workers. In real terms, what this means for the world’s 49 poorest countries is saving the lives of more than 15 million children under the age of five and 570,000 women who currently die due to preventable causes. Successful implementation would also result in valuable benefits such as:

• 43 million more users with access to comprehensive family planning;

• 19 million more women giving birth supported by a skilled health worker, with the necessary infrastructure, drugs, equipment and regulations;

• two million more neonatal infections treated;

• 22 million more infants exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life;

• 15 million more children fully immunised in their first year of life;

• 117 million more children under five receiving vitamin A supplements; and,

• 85,000 more quality health facilities and up to 3.5 million more health workers available.
I am proud to co-Chair the Commission on Information and Accountability for Women’s and Children’s Health, along with Prime Minister Stephen Harper of Canada in order to establish a framework to monitor global commitments for maternal, newborn, and child health and ensure committed resources save as many lives as possible. It is critical that all partners translate their commitments into action.

In order to meet our goals, we must track resources and meet commitments, providing transparency, credibility and efficiency. All of these efforts must be supported by a unified, global accountability structure. High-income countries must maintain their commitments and low- and middle-income countries must continue to invest in their own health infrastructure.
It is my goal to make sure that we stay focused on the core objectives of maternal, newborn, and child health and that we provide stakeholders with a consolidated framework to take coordinated action.

Low-income countries will continue to shoulder the greatest burden of maternal and child mortality but I believe that our work will set a renewed momentum and focus to accelerate progress towards reaching the objectives of Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 by 2015.

The writer is Tanzania's President
Source: Global Health and Diplomacy Magazine

Radhia et al,

Kwanza naomba uangalie hizo paragraphs nilizo highlight in red. Hii opinion article inaonyesha jinsi gani JK/Mkuu wa Kaya na/au waliomuandikia makala hii walivyo na deplorable luck of leadership skills clearly exhibiting absence of credible vision, moral strength/courage and empathy.
Ninasema hivyo kwa sababu zifuatazo:
1. Kipindi alipokuwa mbunge, kwanza kama kiongozi alivyoona watu wanaangaika kubeba "gunia kubwa" kwenye baiskeli ilitakiwa aende na kuwapongeza wale watu kwa ujasiriamali ambao ulitakiwa kuwa wa kuigwa na wanakijiji wengine. Kwani hiyo ndio njia pekee ya maskini kujikwamua. Yeye kama mbunge wakati huo alitakiwa kutambua kuwa yule anayebeba mzigo kwa baiskeli anahitaji pikipiki ya miguu 3. Hapo basi angeweza kugundua mapema kabisa kuwa ni mama mjamzito.
2. Poor planning and luck of priority/empathy: Inaonyesha kwa miaka mingi kumekuwa hakuna usafiri wala pesa za kununulia magari ya kupeleka wagonjwa/wamama wajawazito hospitali lakini ukifika Tanzania hasa DSM utaona 60% of SUV/4WD are government owned. Amekuwa president tokea 2005 kama kiongozi aliyeguswa na ile incident kama anavyotaka tumuamini kwanini hakutoa ambulances kwa kila Wilaya lakini mpaka 2010 kwenye kampeni JK alitoa "ahadi" ya kutoa BAJAJI/AMBULANCE ZA KUBEBEA wagonjwa na wamama wajawazito. Radhia ukiwa mjamzito utakubali kupanda Bajaji kama Ambulance?
3. Nimeongezea yafuatayo kwa herufi kubwa kwenye sentensi hii: But we are "BY CHOICE AND GREEDY OF OUR" governments of poor countries. Hili lipo wazi kwa kila mtu kwani tumejaliwa na mwenyezi Mungu kuwa na utajiri wa kila kitu. Natumaini hili halina mjadala.
4. PINDA tayari ameshawaamrisha na kutoa amri ya kuwafukuza hao wanaotibu 1:25,000. Kumbukeni kuwa kamwe huwezi kumlazimisha punda kunywa maji.
5. Shortage ya madaktari haimalizwi kwa kuongeza enrolments, anauhakika gani kuwa hao medical graduates watakubali kuajiriwa na serikali inlight of its pathetic treatment/response kufuatia legitimate demands za kuboreshewa mazingira ya kazi. JK/CCM hawaamini wala hawawathamini madaktari kwani kuboresha mazingira ya hospitali na vituo vya afya hakuitaji kukumbushwa na unnecessary migomo bila ni core duty ya Wizara ya Afya.
6. Taaluma kuheshimiwa, Uboreshaji mishahara na mazingira ya kazi ndio only viable solution to attract our best young minds to pursue science subjects whilst in O-&A- Level leading to Medicine. Hivi sasa madaktari wengi wapo kwenye NGO's za Afya kuliko mahospitalini.
7. Kuhusu malaria: Kuprotect against Malaria alone is ineffective and will eventually prove to be a failure. Huo ni mradi wa kuchota hela kwa wenye viwanda vya chandarua. Inatakiwa Preventive and Eradication campaign ya kutokomeza Mazalia ya Mbu vikienda pamoja na protection kujikinga na automatic dwindling number ya mbu ndio zitatufikisha. Tukisema protect pekee wakati mbu wanazidi kuzaliana inamaanisha tutakuwa tunatembea ndani ya vyandarua.

Radhia na wenzio msioona mapungufu makubwa punguzeni siasa pasipostahili kumbukeni kuwa majority ya wananchi pamoja na kunyimwa elimu kuweza kusoma na kuelewa kiingereza ipo siku watachoka. Siku hiyo ndio inaweza kuwa kama Wananchi wa Ufaransa walipowachoka French King and his royal family. Historia ni soma MUHIMU sana!

Nakaribisha kukosolewa, kazi njema.

Gogomoka.

Back
Top Bottom