Madam Speaker Makinda:.. Congratulations but...A Word of Caution

Mzee Mwanakijiji

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2006
Madam Speaker,

Congratulations on your election to become the Speaker of our National Assembly. Your historic election has come at the right moment and signals that hard work, diligence, and dedication to duty ultimately pays off. I join other Tanzanians in celebrating this "national moment" as the Fifth Republic is beginning to take shape.

Madam Speaker, your gratitude words this morning prompted me (and possibly others) to sit for a moment and take your words seriously in order to understand your vision for the Parliament towards 2015 and beyond. One common thought has occurred in your pre-election words, on your election and in your first press conference which is "unity of the parliament". In different words you have signaled that you will lead the House in such a way that unity of decision is reached. In other words as I understood you correctly dissent and diversity will have their limits and at the end conformity will have an upper hand.

Madam Speaker, I totally believe that if this is the vision you have for the Parliament and the country as you have implied then it is the wrong vision. It will lead into curbing the democratic progress we have made in the past few years, will usher an era of political intimidation and humiliation, and will force Members of Parliament to try to conform to this "Speaker's standard" which I believe is undemocratic and if not checked will lead to the rise of the tyranny of the political minority.

Madam Speaker, democracy is created, maintained and nourished by the presence of dissent and diversity of thoughts. This must be more true in the People's House. For it is here where their rightful representatives of the people gather to discuss, argue, oppose, support different positions and ultimately create our laws. It is here then where diversity must be desired and guaranteed by the Speaker. It is here where Tanzanians of all works of life must learn to see political opposition as part of that same unity and not an enemy to true unity. If we all think alike, agree on everything, and dissent is despised as "anti-unity" then we would all become automatons of sort. We must not let that happen.

I understand your duty to your political party and to see that the Parliament must be functioning in a very higher standard of accountability and discipline. I absolutely agree with you that our Parliament can not and must not be allowed to be a House of Chaos where old grudges and vendettas are resolved or where unending allegations against other people are made under the guise of parliamentary immunity. I believe if the aim is to reach a standard where when true allegations are made then the full extent of parliamentary powers will be used to reach a just and transparent decision. If this is your definition of "unity of parliament" I absolutely agree with you.

Madam Speaker, as you start your historic tenure I believe that you will defend democratic principles as you have been sworn to. You were not sworn to "defend or protect" the Constitution of your ruling party nor to protect the interests of few individuals or a group of people but the Constitution of Our Republic. As I watched you take an absolute oath this morning I believe that you really meant every single word you uttered. It is for this reason, I believe your tenure will not just be historic in nature but at the end history itself will judge your tenure kindly.

Once again, congratulations and God Speed as your start this journeyl. I'm wishing you and your family good health and Providential Wisdom to lead our people with fairness, love and justice no matter the cost.

May God Bless Tanzania
May God Bless Africa!

MKJJ, pamoja na yote, Madam Speaker inasemekana amei-diqualify kambi ya upinzani. Hata havyo haileweki sababu ni nini.

Wadau wameweka kanuni hapa zimekaa vema.

Nahisi kuzunguzungu nikiwa kivulini. Nikitoka juani je?

Madam Speaker,

Congratulations on your election to become the Speaker of our National Assembly. Your historic election has come at the right moment and signals that hard work, diligence, and dedication to duty ultimately pays off. I join other Tanzanians in celebrating this “national moment” as the Fifth Republic is beginning to take shape.

Madam Speaker, your gratitude words this morning prompted me (and possibly others) to sit for a moment and take your words seriously in order to understand your vision for the Parliament towards 2015 and beyond. One common thought has occurred in your pre-election words, on your election and in your first press conference which is “unity of the parliament”. In different words you have signaled that you will lead the House in such a way that unity of decision is reached. In other words as I understood you correctly dissent and diversity will have their limits and at the end conformity will have an upper hand.

Madam Speaker, I totally believe that if this is the vision you have for the Parliament and the country as you have implied then it is the wrong vision. It will lead into curbing the democratic progress we have made in the past few years, will usher an era of political intimidation and humiliation, and will force Members of Parliament to try to conform to this “Speaker’s standard” which I believe is undemocratic and if not checked will lead to the rise of the tyranny of the political minority.

Madam Speaker, democracy is created, maintained and nourished by the presence of dissent and diversity of thoughts. This must be more true in the People’s House. For it is here where their rightful representatives of the people gather to discuss, argue, oppose, support different positions and ultimately create our laws. It is here then where diversity must be desired and guaranteed by the Speaker. It is here where Tanzanians of all works of life must learn to see political opposition as part of that same unity and not an enemy to true unity. If we all think alike, agree on everything, and dissent is despised as “anti-unity” then we would all become automatons of sort. We must not let that happen.

I understand your duty to your political party and to see that the Parliament must be functioning in a very higher standard of accountability and discipline. I absolutely agree with you that our Parliament can not and must not be allowed to be a House of Chaos where old grudges and vendettas are resolved or where unending allegations against other people are made under the guise of parliamentary immunity. I believe if the aim is to reach a standard where when true allegations are made then the full extent of parliamentary powers will be used to reach a just and transparent decision. If this is your definition of “unity of parliament” I absolutely agree with you.

Madam Speaker, as you start your historic tenure I believe that you will defend democratic principles as you have been sworn to. You were not sworn to “defend or protect” the Constitution of your ruling party nor to protect the interests of few individuals or a group of people but the Constitution of Our Republic. As I watched you take an absolute oath this morning I believe that you really meant every single word you uttered. It is for this reason, I believe your tenure will not just be historic in nature but at the end history itself will judge your tenure kindly.

Once again, congratulations and God Speed as your start this journeyl. I’m wishing you and your family good health and Providential Wisdom to the lead our people with fairness, love and justice no matter the cost.

May God Bless Tanzania
May God Bless Africa!

How can unity be the vision of the parliament?. In the first place house does not belong to a single party, what kind of unity is she speaking about. Unity in concealing corruption of CCM members? Unity in squandering public funds for increasing MP allowances, salaries and pension? Unity in suppressing views from the opposition party?
How can unity create innovative ideas in the house? That is a bad start of the Woman, am worried.

King Maker amedai:
ni yeye ndie aliyemtoa Msekwa kwenye uspika
ni yeye ndie aliyemuweka Sitta kwenye Uspika
ni yeye ndie aliyemtoa Sitta kwenye uspika
ni yeye ndie aliyemuweka Makinda kwenye uspika.

Makinda mwenyewe amemruka kimanga.

Ikitokea EL akaibuka tena, nitaamini.

Thanks MKJJ for such a powerful congratulatory message.

I wish the Hon.Madam Speaker could get hold of this and digest it before going about her business in the Parliament with a vision that is controversial.

God bless Tanzania and its People.We look forward to seeing a vibrant and not a rubber stamping - buldozed- parliament.

King Maker amedai:

Pasco mbona unaleta info nusu nusu? Amedai wapi?

Halafu Mkuu huwa unaleta habari njema lakini wakati mwinginei tukikupiga maswali unaingia mitini.

Hebu tuhabarishe zaidi.

King Maker amedai:

Duh! king maker? Kweli niko outdated!
Naomba tu mnisaidie huy aka k.m. ni nani! Au ndio EL?

Tusipoangalia tunaweza kushuhudia kurudishwa kwa chama kimoja kwa nguvu lakini wakati huohuo kuwapa wananchi nafasi ya kuona inakuwaje unapokuwa na bunge lenye kuwa na fikra moja. Na kinachonitisha mimi zaidi ni dissent ndani ya ccm. Ndani ya ccm bungeni au nje ya bunge ni lazima kuwa na tofauti ya mitazamo vinginevyo ccm itaanzb kulazimisha conformity or else.

Anna Makinda had her political nurturing during the Nyerere one party system era hence the culture of multipartyism is alien to her. It is not surprising therefore to hear her talk of unity/conformity of parliament! One would expect rational members of parliament from diverse parties to show unity of purpose only when national interest issues are discussed otherwise we should expect divergent views from members of different political orientations.

Sioni huyu Anna Makinda kama anaweza kushughulikia shughuli za bunge, amekuwepo kwenye hii system ya ulaji kwa muda mrefu sana na hawezi katu kusimamia maslahi ya Taifa. Yupo pale kwa kuwekwa na wezi wakuu wa hii nchi yaani mafisadi papa. Kama wameweza kuiba kura watashindwaje kuweka mwenzao awasaidie ili waweze kuvuna fweza za walipa kodi kiulaini?

Ukiangalia alikopita kote huko alishindwaje kurekebisha Ufisadi kwenye chama chake? Wasituzuge hawa wapo wapo tu kuwazulumu walipa kodi. Wanaompigia debe ni baadhi ya vifisadi dagaa ambavyo kama kawaida ya JF vinapata drown envelopes. Ni sawa na kuwaendekeza wastaafu kwa malipo kede kede wakati walipokuwa madarakani walikuwa wanaiba fweza za walipa kodi bila huruma.

Bunge hili lazima lirekebishe sheria za kifisadi za kuwapa kiinua mgongo wastaafu kama Ben Nkapa, na mawaziri wakuu wastaafu ambao kwa njia moja ama nyingine wamekuwa wezi na walitumia madaraka yao vibaya (Kama EL). Huu ukurutu wa mawaziri wakuu wastaafu nk pamoja na marais ambao waliiba kwa udi na uvumba tutaubadili lini? Tusiendekeze hawa vimburu wamekula vya kutosha.

Madam Speaker,

Congratulations on your election to become the Speaker of our National Assembly.
Your historic election has come at the right moment and signals that hard work, diligence, and dedication to duty ultimately pays off. I join other Tanzanians in celebrating this "national moment" as the Fifth Republic is beginning to take shape.

May God Bless Tanzania
May God Bless Africa
!

- Sawa Sawa Mkulu pamoja sana hapo!

FMEs!

Madam Speaker, democracy is created, maintained and nourished by the presence of dissent and diversity of thoughts. This must be more true in the People's House.

Nothing is closer from the truth than this

Back
Top Bottom