Lucky Dube: Your reaction

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Source: BBC

South African reggae musician, Lucky Dube, has been shot dead in front of his children during an attempted car hijacking. What is your reaction to his death?

One of South Africa's most popular artists, Lucky Dube toured the world singing about social problems.

During a career spanning more than two decades he released 22 albums and was one of the first artists to introduce reggae music in the country.

Send us your memories of Lucky Dube. Are you a fan of his music? What will his legacy be? Did you ever meet him?

Reaction from around the world
Read the full story

Published: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 10:08 GMT 11:08 UK

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:18 GMT 16:18 UK

Killed in the presence of his children....Lord help us where is this world going?
i was really disturbed when i learned of his death ..so shocking he was my favourite reggae artist and i believe the world has lost a great voice and not only that a great man i pray and hope that whoever is responsible will be caught and dealt with....but all in all we leave everything in Gods hands and ask for his strengh as we go through this hard time.

Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:17 GMT 16:17 UK

we have lost a great singer, what a tragedy
i am even more upset because his kids witnessed this, what has this world turned to?
i feel for his family, rest in peace Lucky

Esther, Abuja, Nigeria

Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:17 GMT 16:17 UK

Very difficult to absorb the news of Lucky Dube's uncalled for demise. Nothing seems to be working out for Africans in nursing the worthy culture their counterparts suffered to create!
Rest in peace Dube.

Nyagol JA., Siena-Italy

Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:16 GMT 16:16 UK

Rastaman never die! No evil deed goes unpunished and surely the wrath of Jah shall descend upon those who committed this cowardly, murderous and senseless act.
"When the children grow up without the parents who's gonna tell them this is right?
When the children grow up without the parents who's gonna tell them this is wrong?" Murder is wrong.
Rest in Heavenly Peace Rastaman

Dokotela Zibunu Zibomvu, Florida

I was personally shocked with the sad news about the death of Lucky Dube.
We were all used to his song, first for the struggle against the apartheid and nowadays he was singing about the social problems which are the same in our societies.
Lucky rest in peace, we will store in our computers and minds your music so that you voice will not vanish from us.

Afonso Campos, Maputo-Mozambique

i am filled with profound sadness. i have been rob. i listened to your songs Lucky when i was 14 yers old, am now 34.
even living here in Europe i had your songs in my heart, especially the past fews months. ¨Together as One¨

Lucky Dude may your soul rest in peace. And to you children may they carry God´s shield, The Heavenly Father is our Light.
Rest Lucky in eternal peace. Keep on singing where ever you go, i know you are safe in God´s hands.

Ruth Lenga, Malaga

The killing of lucky dube brings to life the fear of crime in south Africa during the world cup. AS zambians we helped south africa to fight racism but now the greatest enermy southafricans have is themselves - crime. Many Zambians and other nationals havebeen murdered in south africa . Those ruthless criminals should have just gotten his car than to take his life. the quetion is what have they archieved as individuals after the killing?.
Lucky 's music was educative and was panafrican.

Nalucha, lusaka

Lucky was an inspiration and a role model to many souls.He was a peace ambassador in da whole world and will be missed by many reggae fans if not tha whole world. May his soul rest in eternal peace.R.I.P. Dube.

Brian Muthoka, Nairobi , Kenya

Lucky Dube

RIP

Another Reggae legend is stolen from us.

God bless you and your family

Ed, Manchester

Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:15 GMT 16:15 UK

The killing of lucky dube brings to life the fear of crime in south Africa during the world cup. AS zambians we helped south africa to fight racism but now the greatest enermy southafricans have is themselves - crime. Many Zambians and other nationals havebeen murdered in south africa . Those ruthless criminals should have just gotten his car than to take his life. the quetion is what have they archieved as individuals after the killing?.
Lucky 's music was educative and was panafrican.

Nalucha, lusaka

Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:14 GMT 16:14 UK

It is difficult to believe but the Almighty who gives life knows best LUCKY,REST IN PERFECT PEACE.

august_tendwa@yahoo.com, da es salaam Tanzania

Poverty and crime goes hand in hand, until now the world ignored the fact that South Africa has the highest violent crime rate in the world. If it takes lucky Dube to die for the politicians in South Africa to wake up. Let it be. Like the rastaman say, "To free yourself blood have to shed." Long live Lucky Dube, your life is in the music and music is life.

Blessed Rastafari Mad Minox (Silverstone Sound) Harare, Zimbabwe

Godfrey Chafudzika, Toronto

Oh my God,A great loss to Africa.We will never have such a sensational musician in out time again.What do they intend to achieve by ending happiness at a time that we need him most.

Alaru Yakubu, Nicosia

Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:13 GMT 16:13 UK

I learnt with great shock from my wife a few minutes ago that Lucky Dube was shot dead in yet another violent car-jacking incident in Jo'Burg. Lucky Dube has been a great icon of the struggle against injustices through Raggae music. He will be greatly missed by many people in Africa. I urge the authorities in S.Africa to speedly stamp out armed violence as a tribute to this fallen hero.

Gilbert Matabi, Kampla

Added: Friday, 19 October, 2007, 15:13 GMT 16:13 UK

I am shocked,hurt and very saddened by Lucky's death.We are living in a very cruel world.Why? why? why? I shall always treasure him and his music. Lucky Dube, you will be sadly missed. I hope your soul will rest in peace.

Tracy Kanyamaure, Staines

Back
Top Bottom