Let Us Make a Change from CCM this Year

Jan 2, 2010
2010 is election year in Tanzania, and an opportunity to influence change in Tanzanian politics.

The last 10 years of CCM have been a revelation:

1) The Radar Scandal (when Mkapa and his mouthpiece Chenge colluded with BAe and Barclays Bank to steal $12 million from the Tanzanian people – this money is still in the private accounts of these guys);
2) The Richmond Scandal (when the people of Tanzania were contracted to pay for the “wind” instead of electricity);
3) The expensive jets and posh cars for presidential and ministerial travel, bought with money belonging to the Tanzanian people (when the majority of our people, especially our elderly parents and grandparents in the villages walk for miles in order to sustain a living);
4) The millions of foreign currency plundered from BoT (with perpetrators given presidential pardon without restitution), and the list goes on.

As Tanzanians we have a choice. We can continue debating and lamenting the problems associated with Tanzanian politics – and nothing will change. Or we can decide to do something about it.

I believe we have the capacity to make a change, using the communication tools at our disposal (internet blogging with, perhaps, an organised mobile phone database).

My proposal to fellow bloggers is that perhaps we should step up and develop a stronger association of contributors who can together form a force for change.

I have in mind a system whereby two levels of membership can be encouraged. ‘Free’ membership would entail anyone joining and participating in ongoing discussions – as currently is. Subscription membership would be for those willing to take action on specific matters. For example, subscribers might wish to adopt a candidate for the forthcoming elections, and use available resources to support that candidate throughout the campaign.

My understanding of Tanzania ’s infrastructure would suggest that printed media and a database of valid mobile phone numbers would be the most effective tools of communication. The limited availability and usage of the internet makes it a less likely tool for effective communication. However, electronic communication could still provide a powerful linkage to the more thoughtful and academically-oriented population.

These are just my thoughts on how I think I can contribute to help my fellow Tanzanians enjoy the wealth which belongs to all of us – and not just to ruthless robbers who come in the name of “politics”.

I will offer my full support to anyone who wishes to mobilise coordinated action to do everything possible to remove the CCM from power - or, at least, to remove those "elderly" people who pass for the leadership of Tanzania.

Why is Africa always ruled by "old" men? Where are the young, able and capable young men and women in their 40's?

From South Africa, through Zimbabwe, into Zambia and Kenya etc, Africa is dominated by people who would qualify for old-age pension in the West. No wonder we are in such a mess - when these guys come to western countries to negotiate on behalf of our countries, they are easily mis-led by clever, younger western politicians.

Wake up African young men and women - and take charge of your destiny!!!

PS. Why doesn't the government recruit respectable scholars and academic researchers like Prof Mwesiga Baregu to advise them on international (and national issues). People like him would bring credibility to government and governance, and would certainly prevent associations with crooks, such as the Vithlanis.

I have read a few articles and presentation papers he has written. He seems to be a very well-learned man, with good all-round knowledge about the political machinations in Tanzania - I wonder if he has any political ambitions?

Mwakisunga

Back
Top Bottom