Landmark domestic trial victory:Tanzanian Domestic Worker in the UK awarded £56,000

Samvulachole

JF-Expert Member
Oct 22, 2006
kama kuna mtu ana address yake anipe maana hii credit crunch itanua jama

yaani hata LIDL chakula bei juu

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!
Landmark domestic trial victory as Tanzanian Domestic Worker in the UK is awarded £58,585.00 Miss Elizabeth Kawogo, a Tanzanian citizen was brought to London in July 2006 by her employer, Mrs Zainab Alibhai , a British citizen who is residing in Tanzania.

She was led to understand that her key role would be to assist Mrs Alibhai through a post operative period after she underwent an operation on her leg.Upon arrival however, there was a sinister unexpected turn of events. Mrs Alibhai forcibly confined Miss Kawogo to her parent's home, namely Mr Ramdhan Dhanji and Mrs Kubra Dhanji.

Her passport was withheld and she was forced to work 15 hours a day, seven days a week without a break. Elizabeth was a domestic slave in the United Kingdom. Mrs Alibhai remained in London for two weeks where she did not undergo any medical treatment; instead she attended her daughter's wedding.

As she departed she informed Elizabeth that they would not be going back to Tanzania together, Elizabeth was to remain in the UK and work for her parents. Elizabeth who at this stage, was totally distressed begged Mrs Alibhai to send her back home to Tanzania in vain. Her life continued to be almost unbearable. Apart from working for Mr and Mrs Dhanji , Miss Kawogo was taken to the houses of other relations where once again she was required to work like a robot .

Even when she was ill she was still expected to labour .On one occasion she had a fever and was given a painkiller and told to continue with her duties.Her days filled with seemingly endless chores, a daily flood of tears and severe depression. Her only consolation was her faith and comforting verses in her bible.For a whole year Elizabeth had to endure these slave like conditions.

She slept on the kitchen floor even through the winter .She ate leftovers and food that had passed it expiry date. Her only toiletries were soap , toothpaste and a toothbrush .Psychologically and emotionally she was further traumatized, taunted and humiliated for being Black. She was told she should consider herself lucky for an opportunity to be in the UK. She was reminded that would be futile to seek help as she could not speak English, did not know anyone and whatever grievances she had would no doubt fall on deaf ears.

When Elizabeth asked if she could attend church , her request was initially refused .Eventually one Sunday her prayers were answered and she given permission to go and worship . In time a member of her congregation befriended her and that is when she was able to confide in her, the gruesome horrors of her existence in the UK.

Concerned and compelled to act, her friend masterminded her escape and together they approached the Tanzania Women Association (TAWA) .The then acting Tanzanian High Commissioner to London Mrs Msuya advised Miss Kawago with the support of TAWA to seek legal advice. TAWA took the matter forward to the Brent community Law centre which accepted to take on the case .

The Tanzania High Commission ensured that Elizabeth's passport was returned to her.Meanhile Mr Dhanji now fearful of the outcome of his past abuses offered Elizabeth £380 to settle matters, which she rejected. The case of Miss Kawogo Vs Mr and Mrs Dhanji was heard on 7th and 8th of August 2008 at the Watford Employement Tribunal in the UK. Miss Kawago attended the tribunal with her barrister and a TAWA representative . After the evidence was heard from both sides , the judges came to the conclusion that a great injustice and had been committed against Miss Kawogo .

The tribunal awarded Miss Kawogo £ 58,585 for unpaid wages, holidays, illegally long hours of work without breaks, racial discrimination and enslavement . This landmark victory brings hope to domestic workers who may be facing similar situations and is a wake up call to those employers who are under the illusion that they are above the law.
Tanzania Women's AssociationTAWA

huyu kakutana na wajanja,wakampa deal la kutengeneza hela,she was sleeping on the floor,being given expired food,this is bullshit we dont buy that

huyu kakutana na wajanja,wakampa deal la kutengeneza hela,she was sleeping on the floor,being given expired food,this is bullshit we dont buy that

umegundua eeeh?

mimi nitamtafuta walau nimpe business plan yangu ya NGO kabla YEBO YEBO hajanipiga bao

umegundua eeeh?

mimi nitamtafuta walau nimpe business plan yangu ya NGO kabla YEBO YEBO hajanipiga bao

Samvulachole

It good to see you back...nilikumiss.

Hii story inaonyesha kabisa kuwa ni mchongo baridi...Mimi ningependa kujua huyo Elizabeth anabakiwa na paundi ngapi kati ya hizo 56 elfu.

Pole sana na credit crunch Samvulachole, ukikosa chakula kabisa rudi nyumbani, kule kwenu mihogo, mbaazi na minazi inastawi sana.

...Jamani hii si kweli...au? kwa hio watu wa UK ndivyo mnavyoishi kimagambizi sio....nakubali wazo la kurudi Home kula Mihogo..tena uwe Kijjn..ukiwa Mjini hata nyumba yako inaweza vunjwa!!!

Samvulachole

It good to see you back...nilikumiss.

Hii story inaonyesha kabisa kuwa ni mchongo baridi...mimi ningependa kujua huyo Elizabeth anabakiwa na paundi ngapi kati ya hizo 56 elfu.

Pole sana na credit crunch Samvulachole, ukikosa chakula kabisa rudi nyumbani, kule kwenu mihogo, mbaazi na minazi inastawi sana.

Sasa ndio nimethibitisha kwamba you guys in this are full of chuki, wivu,na roho mbaya. mko katika hii sehemu kuchafua tabia za watu. kwa sababu this blog is full of layabouts like you. This seems to be a serious issue, and you are making fun of somebody's misfortune. you are really sad people. You have no idea what what this girl has gone through. Have you even bothered to ask or research? You guys are just pathetic. muogopeni MUNGU. God bless you all.

Sasa ndio nimethibitisha kwamba you guys in this are full of chuki, wivu,na roho mbaya. mko katika hii sehemu kuchafua tabia za watu. kwa sababu this blog is full of layabouts like you. This seems to be a serious issue, and you are making fun of somebody's misfortune. you are really sad people. You have no idea what what this girl has gone through. Have you even bothered to ask or research? You guys are just pathetic. muogopeni MUNGU. God bless you all.

Wape, asante sana. Some people are pure idiots. You hit it on the head.
Yebo Yebo nimekushangaa sana. We mtu uko UK, you should know better.

Wengien wapo UK wakibeba mabox. Wengine wamejilipua huko wanachofikiri ni michongo tuuuuuuuuuuu

Rudini bongo siku hizi makampuni yanaajiri maafisa uhusiano kwa kujua tu kiingereza ambacho nyie mmesha hitimu.

Wengien wapo UK wakibeba mabox. Wengine wamejilipua huko wanachofikiri ni michongo tuuuuuuuuuuu

Rudini bongo siku hizi makampuni yanaajiri maafisa uhusiano kwa kujua tu kiingereza ambacho nyie mmesha hitimu.

Asanteeeeeeeee!

Nyie mlio elimika mbona hamkuuliza sisi tunaoishi hapa kwa nini tunaona hii habari ina mapungufu mpaka tumesema hivyo?? Kwa taarifa yako sio tu kwamba habari na misingi ya kesi yenyewe inaacha maswali mengi bila majibu; bali hata hao walimsaidia huyu dada TAWA nao wana maswali ya kujibu…ndio maana nimeuliza kati ya hizo 56,000 victim mwenyewe Elizabeth amepokea kiasi gain? Unaweza kunipa jibu mkuu wewe uliyeelimika, ndio nyie mnaoamini 100% kila kitu kama kilivyoandikwa achieni wengine wanaoweza kusoma between the line.

Wape, asante sana. Some people are pure idiots. You hit it on the head.
Yebo Yebo nimekushangaa sana. We mtu uko UK, you should know better.

I know better to say what I said na bado nasema tena, huyu dada amefundishwa kusema hayo aliyasema. Angalia taratibu za kupata visa ya domestic worker UK then uje nikuelimishe kwa nini hii kesi ina walakini. Kwa kuongezea, UK ni nchi inayoongozwa na Sheria ukiwa makini unaweza kunufaika na Sheria hizi kama ambavyo naamini kwenye hii kesi kuna watu wamenufaika.

Fairplay,

Kama unaamini kuna wabongo wamejilipua UK kwa michongo..kwa nini unashindwa kuamini kuwa hii kesi inawezekana ni mchongo pia. Jambo usilolijua waulize wenyeji badala ya kujifanya mjuaji.

Kama inavyoonesha kwenye hii case. Brent community law centre na pro bono unit ndio walio msadia. Hawa, kama ukifanya research yako utaona kwamba hawa ni voluntary organizations. and they do this recommendable work for humanitarian reason. Kama nyinyi mezoea kutapeli watu, kuna watu pia wanafanya vitu for humanitarian reasons. poleni sana ndugu zangu.fikra zenu ni duni sana. Do your proper research and investigation and than come and make your alligations. You guys should be sued for character defermation, you are full of words but no substance. You make me ashamed to be one of you who contributes to this blog. you are full chuki na wivu. what you are telling me is mtanzania hana haki ya kujitea haki yake, and that there is always something fishy. Ndio maana hatuendelea na tutazidi kunyanyaswa. If you read the girls case you would find that she could not speak english, she is a standard seven school leaver, has never been outside Tanzania. First time in this country, no relatives or friends. what did you expect. you guys are pathetic, au mnalipwa na hawa wahindi. I rest my case. God bless you.

Wape acha hizo sweeping statements.

Usijumuishe "You make me ashamed to be one of you who contributes to this blog"

Kwani mtu mmoja akipinga lazima iwe ni reflection ya Blog?

Kama unakuwa ashamed, get out. It is so simple!

Nyie mlio elimika mbona hamkuuliza sisi tunaoishi hapa kwa nini tunaona hii habari ina mapungufu mpaka tumesema hivyo?? Kwa taarifa yako sio tu kwamba habari na misingi ya kesi yenyewe inaacha maswali mengi bila majibu; bali hata hao walimsaidia huyu dada TAWA nao wana maswali ya kujibu…ndio maana nimeuliza kati ya hizo 56,000 victim mwenyewe Elizabeth amepokea kiasi gain? Unaweza kunipa jibu mkuu wewe uliyeelimika, ndio nyie mnaoamini 100% kila kitu kama kilivyoandikwa achieni wengine wanaoweza kusoma between the line.

I know better to say what I said na bado nasema tena, huyu dada amefundishwa kusema hayo aliyasema. Angalia taratibu za kupata visa ya domestic worker UK then uje nikuelimishe kwa nini hii kesi ina walakini. Kwa kuongezea, UK ni nchi inayoongozwa na Sheria ukiwa makini unaweza kunufaika na Sheria hizi kama ambavyo naamini kwenye hii kesi kuna watu wamenufaika.

Fairplay,

Kama unaamini kuna wabongo wamejilipua UK kwa michongo..kwa nini unashindwa kuamini kuwa hii kesi inawezekana ni mchongo pia. Jambo usilolijua waulize wenyeji badala ya kujifanya mjuaji.

Kati ya yooooote, ishu muhimu hapa ni kushikilia passport yake.

Domestic Workers Visa

Can my employer keep my passport?
Your passport is your proof of your permission to stay in the UK. You should keep it yourself in a safe place. If your employer is holding your passport without your permission and refuses to return it, you should report this to the police and your embassy or diplomatic mission.

Mengine yote, ni her word against theirs. Sasa mpaka ifike steji ya Ubalozi kuomba passport...........then something is seriously wrong.

Kama inavyoonesha kwenye hii case. Brent community law centre na pro bono unit ndio walio msadia. Hawa, kama ukifanya research yako utaona kwamba hawa ni voluntary organizations. and they do this recommendable work for humanitarian reason. Kama nyinyi mezoea kutapeli watu, kuna watu pia wanafanya vitu for humanitarian reasons. poleni sana ndugu zangu.fikra zenu ni duni sana. Do your proper research and investigation and than come and make your alligations. You guys should be sued for character defermation, you are full of words but no substance. You make me ashamed to be one of you who contributes to this blog. you are full chuki na wivu. what you are telling me is mtanzania hana haki ya kujitea haki yake, and that there is always something fishy. Ndio maana hatuendelea na tutazidi kunyanyaswa. If you read the girls case you would find that she could not speak english, she is a standard seven school leaver, has never been outside Tanzania. First time in this country, no relatives or friends. what did you expect. you guys are pathetic, au mnalipwa na hawa wahindi. I rest my case. God bless you.

This says it ALL, you "READ" and believe 100%. I read and use my local knowledge I DON'T BELIEVE IT 100%. Tukubali kutofautiana....

Kati ya yooooote, ishu muhimu hapa ni kushikilia passport yake.

Domestic Workers Visa

Can my employer keep my passport?
Your passport is your proof of your permission to stay in the UK. You should keep it yourself in a safe place. If your employer is holding your passport without your permission and refuses to return it, you should report this to the police and your embassy or diplomatic mission.

Mengine yote, ni her word against theirs. Sasa mpaka ifike steji ya Ubalozi kuomba passport...........then something is seriously wrong.

Hiyo statement yako inanifanya niamini wewe unawaona hao ubalozi ni watakatifu na kwamba wao hawana michongo kama zilivyo idara nyingine za serikali Tanzania...I beg to differ...uliza locals wa London watakuhadithia yule domestic worker wa balozi aliyepata ujauzito alisaidiwa vipi..

Wape! nihao tu washabiki wa chadema ndio wenye roho nyeusi, usitujumlishe wote!

Hiyo statement yako inanifanya niamini wewe unawaona hao ubalozi ni watakatifu na kwamba wao hawana michongo kama zilivyo idara nyingine za serikali Tanzania...I beg to differ....

I didnt say that, na sina sababu kufikiria hivyo au vingine.
Mimi nadhani wewe sema unayoyajua kuhusu hii kesi, otherwise sikuelewi unavyoongea kimafumbo.
Wafanyakazi wa ndani ni ishu ngumu hata Tanzania penyewe, iwe bosi awe muhindi au mtanzania mweusi.

Infact, my questions is, was the passport withheld or not?

.......uliza locals wa London watakuhadithia yule domestic worker wa balozi aliyepata ujauzito alisaidiwa vipi..

Umeongezea hii......
Yebo Yebo, acha uswahili. Jibu maswali ya hii ishu kwanza, halafu anzisha topic ya maswali ya hiyo ishu nyingine.

mfanyakazi unamuacha ndani,you go to work.jehovah witness wanapiga hodi,katika kutafuta converts,this is where the trouble starts,kwa sababu yeye ni mtambo mdogo,brainwash itamkumba-the next thing charges against you for underpaying,mistreating etc etc.suddenly they make her bigger then she is,in court of law her word against yours,utashindwa tu.i have seen this happening many times.in short ni MCHONGO tu