Kwa wapenzi wa Jazz music

SHERRIF ARPAIO

JF-Expert Member
Aug 25, 2010
Jazz composer, pianist Dave Brubeck dies By By PAT EATON-ROBB | Associated Press – 12 minutes ago

View Gallery

• Dave Brubeck sits next to a piano in Monterey, California, in this file image from …
  • View Photo Jazz musician Dave Brubeck plays piano during the California Hall of Fame Induction …
  • View Photo Jazz pianist Dave Brubeck, a 2009 Kennedy Center Honoree opens his jacket to reveal …

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Jazz composer and pianist Dave Brubeck, whose pioneering style in pieces such as "Take Five" caught listeners' ears with exotic, challenging rhythms, has died. He was 91.
Brubeck died Wednesday morning at Norwalk Hospital of

"Take five" got me into "classical" jazz, though it was consider a progressive song at the time.
As a personnel journey through music, I refused to get stuck in the 80s music that I grew up with. Luckily the 90s was musically dead with nothing but digital sampling, and therefore jazz gave me the incentive expanded my music collection beyond soul/R&B (and soft-rock, reggae, Afro beat). Although I have listen to some Jazz artist like George Benson, Grover Washington, and Watanabe, I never really thought of them as Jazz musicians. It was until I came across artist such as David Brubeck, David Benoit, and Miles Davis when I started to appreciate Jazz. I Then went back and explore George Benson with his classic Breezin' (1976), Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, and Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock.

Though I love the few classics, I must admit that most of my CD collections are on contemporary Jazz; artist such as Stranz and Farah, Acoustic Alchemy, Jonathan Butler, Ottmar Liebert, Wayman Tisdale (RIP), and so forth. The good thing is the old folks like Santana, Earl Klugh, Bob James (and his quartet - Four Play), Stanley Clarke, and of course George Benson are still kicking...

"Take five" got me into "classical" jazz, though it was consider a progressive song at the time.
As a personnel journey through music, I refused to get stuck in the 80s music that I grew up with. Luckily the 90s was musically dead with nothing but digital sampling, and therefore jazz gave me the incentive expanded my music collection beyond soul/R&B (and soft-rock, reggae, Afro beat). Although I have listen to some Jazz artist like George Benson, Grover Washington, and Watanabe, I never really thought of them as Jazz musicians. It was until I came across artist such as David Brubeck, David Benoit, and Miles Davis when I started to appreciate Jazz. I Then went back and explore George Benson with his classic Breezin' (1976), Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, and Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock.

Though I love the few classics, I must admit that most of my CD collections are on contemporary Jazz; artist such as Stranz and Farah, Acoustic Alchemy, Jonathan Butler, Ottmar Liebert, Wayman Tisdale (RIP), and so forth. The good thing is the old folks like Santana, Earl Klugh, Bob James (and his quartet - Four Play), Stanley Clarke, and of course George Benson are still kicking...

I like your taste of classic jazz. I nowadays do enjoy contemporary jazz and fussion. Try Boney James, Fourplays, Chris Botty, Spyrogera, David Sanborn, bob James, John Coltrane, the Rippingtons

Interesting we have similar test. Come to think of it, I have noticed Wabongo many times we end up liking similar type of music even when we are far apart.

Boney James was one of my earlier tries into Jazz. His cut - Bleecker Street is one of my all time favorite.
I have some Spyrogera CDs, but their songs tend to sound the same to me.
David Sanborn is great and his albums are well recorded. Someone introduced me to Rippingtons, but I never liked their style, nothing cutting edge there.

John Coltrane is a legend, though his master piece "A Love Supreme" is not so great to my ears, I still bought the CD just to give respect to the man!

I have never heard of Chris Botty, but I will look into them.

Here are some obscured Jazz artist that may interest you:

Gianluca Petrella: Indigo4
Gota: Let's Get Started
Lee Ritenour: Overtime (He used to be with Four Play)
Mark Isham: Blue Sun
The Braxton Brothers: they are the twin brothers of Toni Braxton, good bass and trumpet players