'Kung Fu Panda 2' becomes highest-grossing film directed by a woman

Rutashubanyuma

JF-Expert Member
Sep 24, 2010
[h=1]'Kung Fu Panda 2' becomes highest-grossing film directed by a woman[/h] by John Young
Categories: Animation, Box Office, Movie Biz

Jennifer-Yuh-Nelson_240.jpg
Image Credit: David Gabber/PR Photos

One small step for giant panda, one giant leap for female filmmakers. With a worldwide tally of $637.6 million and counting, Kung Fu Panda 2 has become the highest-grossing film ever directed by a woman. In this case, the honor goes to Jennifer Yuh Nelson, who made her directorial debut with the well-reviewed Panda 2 after working on the first Kung Fu Panda as head of story and the director of that film’s opening dream sequence. Panda 2 broke the record by passing Phyllida Lloyd’s Mamma Mia!, which earned $609.8 million globally in 2008.
Although Panda 2 has been a slight box-office disappointment domestically, grossing $164.3 million here compared to the original’s $215.4 million, it has been a firecracker overseas. That’s especially true in China, where Panda 2 has collected a staggering $91.5 million. Just three years ago, the original Panda made only $26 million in the country. Clearly there was an increased interest in the sequel, but it also goes to show you just how much of a booming market China has become.

As for the domestic record for female filmmakers, that’s slightly more complicated. Domestically, the biggest movie helmed by a woman was 2001′s Shrek ($267.7 million), which was co-directed by Vicky Jenson. But if you’re looking for the highest-grossing film that was directed by one woman, that’d be 2009′s Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel ($219.6 million), made by Betty Thomas. And if you want to exclude pictures with animated protagonists, then it becomes Catherine Hardwicke’s Twilight, which drained $192.8 million in 2008.
Summer Movies: Get the latest news, photos, and more
But for now, the spotlight deserves to shine on Nelson, who was born in South Korea, immigrated to the United States at the age of 4, and grew up in Southern California watching martial-arts movies and drawing perpetually. With Kung Fu Panda 2, Nelson has combined those two interests and guided the result to nearly two-thirds of a billion dollars. That’d be an impressive outcome for any filmmaker, but considering that only seven percent of Hollywood directors are female, her achievement becomes — in the words of Po — pure awesomeness.

Comments (25 total) Add your comment
Page: 1 2 Next »

• Regina George Mon 08/29/11 10:19 PM
    Hooray.

• David Tue 08/30/11 5:16 AM
      Pixar films are cinematic gold and modern day classics. Dreamworks pics are pure pop trash!!

• Tom Tue 08/30/11 9:49 AM
        Pixar films are cinematic gold except when the film has CARS in the title.

• Cameron J Tue 08/30/11 11:40 AM
        Oh, Dreamworks has been catching up. What with How To Train Your Dragon and this movie, you'd be hard pressed not to find their movies increasing in quality.

• Kathy Tue 08/30/11 2:35 PM
        Dreamworks movies are 10x funnier than Pixar.

• kelly44 Tue 08/30/11 10:04 PM
        Interesting story.My pretty friend has just announced her wedding with a great man who is a cele+brity!
        They met-via { millionaireluv-cōм }
        It is nice club for rich men or pretty girls mate.
        You do not need to be wealthy or famous, but you can meet your true love, it's worthy a try.

• serisiouly Mon 08/29/11 11:15 PM
    Awesome, Im a person that thinks that a women need to be given the chance to prove themselves as powerhouses. As a father of three girls Im proud of the women that are paving the way for the future generations.

• Jose Tue 08/30/11 12:01 AM
    Yay.

• Slugworth Tue 08/30/11 12:25 AM
    Too bad the movie stinks.

• David Tue 08/30/11 5:17 AM
      Pixar films are cinematic gold and modern day classics. Dreamworks pics, Ice Age sequels, Owls of Gahool, and Fox animation films are pure pop trash!!

• Tom Tue 08/30/11 9:48 AM
        Cars and Cars 2 are cinematic feces. Pixar usually hits the bullseye, but with the CARS franchise they misfired in a gigantic way.

• :) Tue 08/30/11 12:28 AM
    Kung Fu panda 2 was hilarious!

• Box of the Forgotten Tue 08/30/11 1:14 AM
    Jennifer Yuh Nelson proved people love crap overseas. I wouldn't credit her direction of a sequel to a big hit animated movie as the reason it made so much money. If a guy directed it working from the same script, same team of animators, it'd still be this big of a hit.

• Joanne Tue 08/30/11 8:53 AM
      Have you looked a the US Box Office? On any given weekend the top movie is likely to be crap.

• Elitism Fighter Tue 08/30/11 7:03 PM
        Must be nice to be an elitist snob Communist hairy-armpitted lesbian who hates ordinary people who work for a living.

• Santa Claus Tue 08/30/11 7:22 AM
    At least its not that overbearing maniac Kathryn Bigelow.

• Mike Tue 08/30/11 7:42 AM
    Mmm… not always. I'd rather watch Kung Fu Panda again than Cars 2 anyday. Though I haven't seen Panda 2.

• Aidan Tue 08/30/11 8:30 AM

• KC Tue 08/30/11 8:46 AM
    I thought it flopped?

• deedeedragons Tue 08/30/11 9:45 AM
    Any movie that has Gary Oldman as a cray – cray peacock is alright by me.

• Cameron J Tue 08/30/11 11:42 AM
    Personally I loved this movie. *dodges knives, gunshots and crucifixes* I think that Nelson deserves this honor cause this movie's up there among my favorites. *dodges cat of nine tails, hammers and nine inch nails* I think I shall take my leave now bye!

• Wha'ever Tue 08/30/11 2:25 PM
    The thing is, it's a little disappointing that the fact that these movies were directed by women don't really matter as most of these films would have been succesful whoever directed them – I mean, people don't go to see Kung Fu Panda 2 because of the director. It would be interesting if a movie met that kind of financial success while being promoted as "directed by – insert female director name here -" just like let's say a Steven Spielberg or a Christopher Nolan's movie.

• Box of the Forgotten Tue 08/30/11 4:29 PM
    When Katharine Bigelow has a trailer for her next film it'll say "Directed by Academy Award winner Katherine Bigelow" but it won't make 1/3 of what Kung Fu Panda 2 has earned.

• Andrew Tue 08/30/11 8:11 PM
    $164 million is nothing to talk bad about. It did better than some of the other Dreamworks Animated films of the 21st century like "Shark Tale" ($162 million), "Over the Hedge" ($155 million), "Megamind" ($148 million), and "Bee Movie" ($127 million).