Kenyan PM Calls On African Leaders To Oust Mugabe

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Kenya PM calls for Mugabe removal

_45268368_45267240.jpg

Robert Mugabe blames Western sanctions for Zimbabwe's woes

Power-sharing in Zimbabwe is dead and it is time for African governments to oust President Robert Mugabe, Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga has said.

His comments are some of the strongest by an African leader against Mr Mugabe, says the BBC's Karen Allen in Nairobi.

"It's time for African governments... to push him out of power," Mr Odinga said after talks with Zimbabwe's opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai.

Zimbabwe is in political deadlock over a unity coalition government deal.

State media reported the arrest of 10 soldiers who allegedly ran amok in the capital Harare on Monday because a bank had no money to pay their wages. Six other soldiers accused of looting last week had also been held.

Meanwhile, a cholera outbreak has killed hundreds of people.

"Power-sharing is dead in Zimbabwe and will not work with a dictator who does not really believe in power-sharing," Mr Odinga told the BBC.

The BBC's Karen Allen in Nairobi says the Kenyan prime minister had also held talks with Jacob Zuma, president of South Africa's governing African National Congress party.

Mr Zuma has declared a new alliance between his party and the Kenyan leader, designed to elevate the Zimbabwe issue, she says.

"Our central hospitals are literally not functioning "

Health Minister David Parirenyatwa

_45264897_-16.jpg

Mr Odinga said that if Mr Mugabe were isolated, he would have no choice but to quit.

"I do believe strongly that if the leadership in South Africa took a firm stand and told Mugabe to quit he will have no choice but to do so," the Kenyan PM said.

Mr Odinga was sure Mr Zuma, who is tipped to become president of South Africa next year, would have "no hesitation in taking that step".

He also said he had advised Mr Tsvangirai to boycott the stalled power-sharing talks with Mr Mugabe.

The comments could signal a ramping up of pressure in the region against Mr Mugabe, says our correspondent.

Mr Tsvangirai has been on a whirlwind tour of several African countries appealing for help.

His Movement for Democratic Change party and Mr Mugabe's Zanu-PF agreed to share power in September, following disputed elections, but have been wrangling over how to share cabinet posts ever since.

Zimbabwe has appealed for international help over a cholera outbreak that has claimed at least 565 lives. At least 12,545 cases have been recorded since August.

'National emergency'

The country's authorities, which last week said there was no crisis, have now declared the outbreak a national emergency.

Health Minister David Parirenyatwa warned on Wednesday hospitals were badly lacking in basic medical supplies, equipment and staff.

"Our central hospitals are literally not functioning," he told the state-owned Herald newspaper.

And Zimbabwe's deputy health minister Dr Edwin Muguti told the BBC that patients would die without urgent medical aid.

_45264843_68bd12f1-01da-43b3-a3c5-9b618c74f1fc.jpg

The health sector has been unable to cope with the cholera outbreak​

He said they had appealed to the UK, which along with other Western countries Zimbabwe often blames for its economic collapse, for help.

"They are the former colonial power so we have not cut our relations with the British," he said. "I'm speaking English because of my heritage from colonialism. So we continue to ask the colonial power as well to assist."

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said UK development aid to Zimbabwe would be increased.

"Mugabe's failed state is no longer willing or capable of protecting its people," Mr Brown said. "Thousands are stricken with cholera, and must be helped urgently."

The European Commission has pledged more than $12m (£8m) for drugs and clean water in Zimbabwe.

Most of Zimbabwe's capital has been without water all week. State media said the water was cut because of a lack of purification tablets to help prevent the spread of cholera.

Zimbabwe's government has blamed its crisis on Western sanctions it says are aimed at trying to bring down Mr Mugabe.

But the sanctions imposed after allegations of electoral fraud and political violence are aimed at the president and his close associates and consist of travel bans and a freeze on their foreign assets.

_45263497_zimbabwe_cholera3_map466.gif

BBC NEWS | Africa | Kenya PM calls for Mugabe removal

Binafsi nampongeza Hon. Odinga kwa kusema ukweli, huyu ni mtu wa nne kusema ukweli kuwa Mugabe ndio tatizo, alianza Mwamawasa (RIP), Zuma, Khama and now Odinga. SADC has been toothless, when they met last time in SA Bob refused to be discussed in his absence, he resisted and no body query, including JK. After all what did these presidents wanted to discuss him in his absencial? They are supposed to tell him black and white in a daylight. There is this old thinking that keeps Mugabe in power, the claim that he struggled for the independence. Yes, he did so what? People need to get drugs for chorela, need food from outside, need seeds to farm, need etc etc does that has anything to do with independence fights?

I wish I can talk to Bob and give him an executive statement.

Mugabe ni sikio la kufa hasikii wala haoni kitu na jambo la kusikitisha zaidi he feels nothing for the Zimbabwe people anataka ajionyeshe kuwa yeye ni mwamba no matter what.

I concurr with Raila, Its high time now that Mugabe be dealt with accordingly, it will serve as a lesson to other. but unfortunately i dont think kama other leaders of Africa watamuunga mkono.

Go Mugabe or face arrest - Tutu
BBC News Online

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe must resign or be sent to The Hague for the "gross violations" he has committed, Archbishop Desmond Tutu has said.

The Nobel Prize winner also told Dutch television that Mr Mugabe should be removed by force if he refuses to go.

On Thursday, Kenya's Prime Minister Raila Odinga said African governments should oust Zimbabwe's leader.

Archbishop Tutu said Mr Mugabe had ruined "a wonderful country", turning a "bread-basket" into a "basket case".

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has also repeated US calls for Mr Mugabe to go, saying a "sham election" has been followed by a "sham process of power-sharing talks".

Zimbabwe has declared a national emergency over the cholera outbreak, which has killed at least 565 people - the most deadly in the country's history.

Health workers say the collapse of the health systems and the water supply in the capital, Harare, are major reasons for the epidemic killing so many people.

Mr Mugabe and opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai agreed to share power in September to tackle the country's economic meltdown but they have been unable to agree on the allocation of cabinet posts.

The health sector has been unable to cope with the cholera outbreak

The deadlocked agreement followed disputed elections, which both men claimed to have won.

Archbishop Tutu told the Dutch TV programme Nova: "I think now that the world must say: 'You have been responsible, with your cohorts... for gross violations, and you are going to face indictment in The Hague unless you step down.'"

Mr Tsvangirai says his supporters were the victims of a state-sponsored campaign of violence which left at least 200 dead and forced many thousands from their homes.

Referring to the cholera deaths, Ms Rice said:

"If this is not evidence to the international community to stand up for what is right, I don't know what would be. And frankly the nations of the region have to do it."

Africa leaders have generally refrained from criticising Mr Mugabe in public.

Although this is now starting to change, the BBC's Jonah Fisher in Johannesburg says there is no real sign that Mr Mugabe is about to be forced from power.

Mr Mugabe has meanwhile blamed Mr Tsvangirai's Movement for Democratic Change for the power-sharing impasse.

"The MDC should say no if they do not want to be part of the inclusive government," he was quoted as saying by the state-owned Herald newspaper.

Both the South African and Mozambican authorities are on alert in case the cholera epidemic spreads outside Zimbabwe.

The heat on Mugabe should not stop..from world leaders to member countries
of the SADC...it is obvious the man has overstayed his welcome. All the good
he had done during the struggle for Zimbabwe's Independence has been negated
by the evils we are seeing now....kama alivyosema mchangiaji mmoja hapo juu...
sikio la kufa halisikii dawa.

...Is our own JK a.k.a. Chariman of AU, gonna say something????

"the new mantra of Responsibility to Protect" should triumph over polictical correctness and nuanced ultra-sensitive diplomacy.

If a crazy guy goes amock and shoots comrade Mugabe I will not regret the incidence. Mugabe should have learnt his lesson a long time ago. To stay behind the scene and enjoy the fruits of his struggle and let the young generetion run the new Zimbabwe. If Mwalimu Nyerere were to be alive he would have given him a sound advise...Mugabe would surely have agreed. The practical soulution is to isolate Mugabe totally diplomatically starting with Zimbabwe neighbouring countries.

Binafsi nampongeza Hon. Odinga kwa kusema ukweli, huyu ni mtu wa nne kusema ukweli kuwa Mugabe ndio tatizo, alianza Mwamawasa (RIP), Zuma, Khama and now Odinga. SADC has been toothless, when they met last time in SA Bob refused to be discussed in his absence, he resisted and no body query, including JK. After all what did these presidents wanted to discuss him in his absencial? They are supposed to tell him black and white in a daylight. There is this old thinking that keeps Mugabe in power, the claim that he struggled for the independence. Yes, he did so what? People need to get drugs for chorela, need food from outside, need seeds to farm, need etc etc does that has anything to do with independence fights?

I wish I can talk to Bob and give him an executive statement.

Your hitting around the bush!! the problem of Zimbabwe is caused by economic sanctions put down by UK and US! these people want regime change in Zimbabwe for their own interests and not for the interest of Zimbabwe people!! so you need to have more than two eyes to see the whole game which is being played down by westerners
How come Raila Odinga is not calling or even saying anything to the most brutal leaders in Africa like Kagame and Yoweri Museveni to step down!..How come??...We know these two leaders are the one who are looting DRC wealth and supporting the rebelion in DRC which has cost more than 5 million Congolese lives! and yet Raila is damn quite as if nothing is happening to his east african neighbors!! For me i see him as the spokesperson for the westerners!! and this is double standard
Museveni changed his country constitution so he can be in power for a third term! and he went on put the opposition leader(Kiza) in jail..we didnt hear sanctions from UK or even a word from Raila and the like!! I know Raila was not a PM at that time but he was aware of this and he was quite kama maji mtungini! mpigania haki na amani hachagui muda au nchi ya kuitetea!!

Wembe.

Your hitting around the bush!! the problem of Zimbabwe is caused by economic sanctions put down by UK and US! these people want regime change in Zimbabwe for their own interests and not for the interest of Zimbabwe people!! so you need to have more than two eyes to see the whole game which is being played down by westerners
How come Raila Odinga is not calling or even saying anything to the most brutal leaders in Africa like Kagame and Yoweri Museveni to step down!..How come??...We know these two leaders are the one who are looting DRC wealth and supporting the rebelion in DRC which has cost more than 5 million Congolese lives! and yet Raila is damn quite as if nothing is happening to his east african neighbors!! For me i see him as the spokesperson for the westerners!! and this is double standard
Museveni changed his country constitution so he can be in power for a third term! and he went on put the opposition leader(Kiza) in jail..we didnt hear sanctions from UK or even a word from Raila and the like!! I know Raila was not a PM at that time but he was aware of this and he was quite kama maji mtungini! mpigania haki na amani hachagui muda au nchi ya kuitetea!!

Wembe.

Sound Rational!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom