Kenyan Authorities Try To Hide Mass Grave!!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Relatives Unearth Bid To Cover Up Mass Grave​

Kiambaabodies0701r.jpg

Alice Wamboi, whose daughter died when the Kenya Assemblies of God Church in Eldoret was set ablaze last year, is led away by policemen. On Wednesday, medical authorities attempted to bury bodies believed to be of those who died at the church. Relatives later stormed the venue to stop the exercise. Uasin Gishu District Commissioner Leonard Ngaluma intervened and the bodies were returned to the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital Mortuary

Kiambaabodies0701c.jpg

A policeman stands near a police lorry laden with bodies of those who died during last year's post election violence when a Kiambaa church was set ablaze

Kiambaabodies0701gf.jpg

Uasin Gishu DCIO Munga Nyale (left) looks on as a bull dozer from the Eldoret Municipal Council prepares a mass grave at the a public cemetery in Eldoret. On Wednesday, medical authorities attempted to bury bodies of those who died at the church but relatives stormed the venue to stop the exercise. Uasin Gishu District Commissioner Leonard Ngaluma later intervened and the bodies were returned to the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital Mortuary.

Kiambaabodies0701q.jpg

An armed policeman guards a police lorry laden with bodies of those who died during last year's post election violence when a Kiambaa church was set ablaze

Kiambaabodies0701t.jpg

Unidentified men offload bodies from a police lorry into a mass grave at the Kiplombe public cemetery in Eldoret on Wednesday

An attempt to secretly bury 37 victims of post election arson attacks in Uasin Gishu in a mass grave aborted on Wednesday.

Angry relatives stormed Kiplombe public cemetery, five kilometres from Eldoret Town, where the burial was going on under heavy security. They demanded to know why they had not been informed.

It also emerged that provincial security officers were not aware of the ceremony that was being supervised by chief government pathologist Moses Njue and officials from the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital where the bodies have been preserved for more than a year.

The relatives expressed shock that the Government was trying to bury their loved ones without their knowledge. “This is the height of Government’s callousness,” a bitter Miss Regina Muthoni, who lost her mother Margaret Njau, said.

But Dr Njue said the measure was temporary, as the bodies would be exhumed once they had been identified and given to their families.

“This is actually not a burial ceremony, but a temporary resting place. The way we are doing it is not like a normal burial ceremony. Even the UN recognises this as a legitimate way of holding bodies,” he said.

However, his explanation failed to resonate: “Burial to us means putting a body into the ground and covering it with soil, which is being done now. The Government is simply trying to hoodwink us so it can dispose of our relatives behind our backs,” said Mr Joseph Githuku, who lost his wife and child at Kiambaa church.

Dr Njue did not have an answer on why the families had not been informed. He said: “I’m a pathologist and I came here to ensure the bodies do not mix. I can’t speak on behalf of other people.”

Pressed to explain who had given the order to bury the bodies, Dr Njue said: “I’m a simple civil servant who follows instructions, so do not crucify me. All I know is, this is not something that was decided upon the other day.”

He said preserving the bodies was no longer beneficial. “When a body begins to decay, there is simply no way to stop the process,” he said.

And Rift Valley PC Hassan Noor told the Nation : “I’m in the dark like you. I’m disappointed such a thing can be done without our knowledge. I’ve instructed officers to cease the exercise forthwith.”

The burial was stopped after district commissioner Leonard Ngaluma came, one hour after the exercise started. After making frantic calls for about 40 minutes, he declared that the exercise had been postponed. The bodies were later returned to the mortuary.

“This ceremony clearly goes against African customs. I’ve been ordered by the PC to stop the ceremony until another day,” he said, much to the relief of relatives.

But Miss Alice Mumbi, who lost a child, said she no longer trusted the Government. “Who knows what it will do next? We might just learn through the media that it has cremated them,” she said.

When the first relative arrived at the cemetery, more than 20 bodies, covered in white body bags had been lowered into the mass grave dug the previous day using a bulldozer. Police held back the grieving relatives wailing at the top of their voices, from viewing the grave. A bulldozer stood by, ready to cover the bodies.

“If there is no ill-motive, why did the Government send so many policemen to preside over a funeral?” Mr Githuku asked.

Dr Omar Ali, deputy director of MTRH said the measure was meant to relieve pressure on facilities at the referral hospital, much to the chagrin of the relatives.

“We have to remember MTRH is a government hospital but also a business organisation. The bodies were taking up a lot of space yet the hospital needs to make money from it,” he said.

DAILY NATION - Relatives unearth bid to cover up mass grave

It's indeed very sad. Hiding mass graves?! Smells of a cover up(pun intended)!!!
Every blood that was shed will cry for justice!
After the post election madness and the promise for truth, you would think that the perpertrators would be brought to book, but...tryingt to hide mass graves, that is wrong ...how are kenyans suppose to get past this?
where's that WAKI report? Just watch, that WAKI report will gather dust and eventually be put in the archives because prominent politicians are implicated.
Now that they are in power they will do anything to stay in power and grab anything they can!! forgeting the very same people they incited to violence. in early '08.

The normal behaviour of Kenyan politicians is to use and abuse.
Use the common wanainchi to push their political agendas.
Once in power they forget the people who elected them to the office in the first place.
Gag the news media and basically run the country like it belonged to a few people. Actually Kenya belongs to a few rich people...and that is a fact...the rest are sojourners...wapita njia...ekeing out a living without any hope of evr making it.

There are only 2 tribes existing in Kenya,
US and THEM
The HAVES and THE HAVE NOTS
RICH and POOR.

Impunity and Arrogance!
Ujeuri, ukatili, ubinafsi, Kiburi you name it, the list is long...those are the true characteristics of most politicians in Kenya.

Back
Top Bottom