Kenya Stop This Cowardice!!

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
The island belongs to Kenya for crying out loud.
What is this negotiating about?

Hawa mabwana washaonyesha uoga wazi!

Security chiefs to meet over island row

PIX+11.jpg

Migingo Island on Lake Victoria. The Kenyan and Ugandan governments are embroiled in a tussle over the island's ownership.

By ELISHA OTIENO and ABIUD OCHIENG’

Posted Monday, April 13 2009 at 20:40

Top security chiefs from Kenya and Uganda meet this week to finalise joint plans to deploy law-enforcement officers to the disputed Migingo Island, the Nation has learnt. According to Foreign Affairs minister Moses Wetang’ula, this was in line with an agreement reached at a meeting between officials from both governments in Kampala in March.

Mr Wetang’ula’s statement on Monday comes amid claims that Uganda was tightening its grip on the island with the deployment of its army to guard the one-acre island whose offshore is rich in Nile perch. The Foreign Affairs minister declined to comment, saying he was not aware of the matter.

“I am not in a position to comment about a matter until I am furnished with all the information,” he said at a news conference in Nairobi on Monday. The announcement came amid reports that Uganda had reintroduced fishing levies on fish landed on the island and that it was engaged in military helicopter aerial surveillance of the area.

DAILY NATION - Security chiefs to meet over island row

Yeah!! Kenya is being disrespected by another country and all we can do is small talk...what nonsense...
action here needs to be quick and decisive...

M7 needs to focus his aggression on Kony and not people trying to earn a living...he should face his nemesis and stop harrasing innocent people.
As for kibaki i have no words...yaani your sovereignty is challenged na bado ana piga domo ...where is MO1 when you need him?
I think Merriam-Webster does not have enough words or vocabulary to define Kibaki's cowardice.

If that Island was in Central Kenya? wacha tu everyone plus mungiki would have fought the war...
Lakini iko in a marginalized area read LUO LAND...therefore no action...LUO's in Kenya should secede...
It is an idea whose time has come...
Kibaki needs to go...he cannot lead, it is increasingly clear...KaRucy would fair much better in this endeavour.
He is not even good for his own Kiuks!!!

Totally Disgusted

Who doesnt know Uganda are troublemakers?Ask former President Moi and he will confirm this to you.Even the late Jomo Kenyatta can tell you that.Migingo is not an issue Kenya can continue to baby sit Uganda.When Kenyata was president,Idi Amin said that Uganda's boundary was at Naivasha just 20 km from Nairobi.Kenyatta never called him to the able to negotiate.He removed all the soldiers from the Barracks an got them deployed along the Kenya-Uganda border.When Amin saw the mighty Kenya had displayed and seeing his Army cant match with Kenya's Military,he backed down.
In late 80's ----The Guerila Man ie Museveni claimed that Malaba Town was in Uganda,the then president Moi,moved quickly and deployed the Kenya Airforce before the Kenya Army could join in.To safeguard Kenya's border---he established a permanet Military garrison at Hakati on the border.Museveni could not do anything and at that time,Kenya had the best Airforce in Africa after only South Africa.
On this Migingo issue......Kibaki is only a sleeping dog.....but we know Uganda will never take Migingo forever.Diplomacy will not work.....and it will only take time before Raila Odinga calls it quit and engages Uganda in fist fight.......for Kibaki,he has failed Kenyans

Yeah!! Kenya is being disrespected by another country and all we can do is small talk...what nonsense...
action here needs to be quick and decisive...

M7 needs to focus his aggression on Kony and not people trying to earn a living...he should face his nemesis and stop harrasing innocent people.
As for kibaki i have no words...yaani your sovereignty is challenged na bado ana piga domo ...where is MO1 when you need him?
I think Merriam-Webster does not have enough words or vocabulary to define Kibaki's cowardice.

If that Island was in Central Kenya? wacha tu everyone plus mungiki would have fought the war...
Lakini iko in a marginalized area read LUO LAND...therefore no action...LUO's in Kenya should secede...
It is an idea whose time has come...
Kibaki needs to go...he cannot lead, it is increasingly clear...KaRucy would fair much better in this endeavour.
He is not even good for his own Kiuks!!!

Totally Disgusted

I think the old man is playing the tribal card, he has proved to be the most incompetent and unreliable president in our Kenyan history. He is a shame to us Kenyans, we have a great military and weapons and the geezer is not putting any of these into proper use.

If Raila was in power, am more than a hundred percent sure, we would have our island back, and maybe taken two or three of theirs just to drive the point home.

Lets watch what the dude will say these time as Kaguta has for the second time broken a gentleman's agreement. Am afraid we can go to war, just because of this island.

We should also remember that Kibaki is very calculating, the dude seems aloof but he is aware of what is happening around him, I dont really know what is going on behind the curtains, but am sure he knows what he is doing, he is just slow to react.

Kenyatta angekuwa......Kampala would be flat by now.If Moi will be the president.....The Kenya Army will be on its way to Kampala

What I see here ni waungwana kuuza ng'ombe wote zizini kwa ajili ya kesi ya kuku mmoja. 'Only in bongo 'should be modified into 'Only in east africa'..

island-one_153042s.jpg

Migingo In numbers

2002 The year that the first house was built on the tiny island outcrop.

500 People live on the island. Eighty per cent of the population are Kenyan and 20 per cent are Ugandan.

3 Hours is how long it takes to reach Migingo by motor boat from Kenya.

6 Hours is how long it takes to reach Migingo from Uganda.

2,000 Kenyan shillings is the sum, equivalent to £17, that visitors are charged each week to stay in a boarding house on Migingo – more than eight times the going rate in the nearby city of Kisumu.

4 Pubs are on the island, together with one pharmacy, one hair salon and several brothels.:D

10 Cabinet ministers from two countries attended an emergency summit on Migingo.

More at The Independent News Paper

Kenyatta angekuwa......Kampala would be flat by now.If Moi will be the president.....The Kenya Army will be on its way to Kampala

This just shows how wet you are behind the ears when it comes to politics.

politics is a delicate game and i doubt if going to war would help the EAC at the moment.

I think diplomacy is the way forward, lakini kuna wale wanaotaka kuona vifaru, malori, wanajeshi na damu.....hawajui ya kwamba ni raia wa kawaida watakaoumia

Hizi kelele za kitoto, mzozo huu rahisi sana kuumaliza.

Pinpoint latitudinal/ longitudinal coordinates za mpaka wa Kenya/ Uganda down to the nearest 10 meters by mapping satellites.

Pinpoint the location of Migingo by the same accuracy.

Declare which side of the border the island is.

With the curent technology, unless the island is moving, there is no reason this issue should drag this far.

Google Map inaonyesha coordinates za -0° 1' 20.91", +33° 53' 50.44" ambazo zinasemwa kuwa za Migingo katika Wikipedia kuwa well within Uganda. Now the issue is just establishing the validity of the coordinates

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-0.022475,33.897344&spn=0.3,0.3&t=m&q=-0.022475,33.897344

Last edited:
Google Map inaonyesha coordinates za -0° 1' 20.91", +33° 53' 50.44" ambazo zinasemwa kuwa za Migingo katika Wikipedia kuwa well within Uganda. Now the issue is just establishing the validity of the coordinates

-0.022475,33.897344 - Google Maps

Google maps na wikipedia are authorities in any subject matter, any information you acquire from them is generally biased by the opinions and views of the author, or for google in this case the amount they are willing to invest vs accuracy in mapping case and point Mombasa likoni: mama ngina drive goes all the way baharini.

The coordinates you provide point to water, check satellite imaging there is no island there. Wikipedia info can not be relied upon in such matters.

This is why it is imperative that people should wait for official survey data before engaging in any decision which will affect the whole EAC region.

Google maps na wikipedia are authorities in any subject matter, any information you acquire from them is generally biased by the opinions and views of the author, or for google in this case the amount they are willing to invest vs accuracy in mapping case and point Mombasa likoni: mama ngina drive goes all the way baharini.

The coordinates you provide point to water, check satellite imaging there is no island there. Wikipedia info can not be relied upon in such matters.

This is why it is imperative that people should wait for official survey data before engaging in any decision which will affect the whole EAC region.

If you read my post and digest it, instead of gobbling it up passionately, you will discover that in no way did I sanctify the authorities of google map and wikipedia.

In fact, a careful examination of my post will see a greater importance stressed on establishing the coordinates of the Kenya Uganda border by realiable satellites.

You will further notice I questioned the validity of the given coordinates by preferring a verification.

If you are familiar with the size of the island and are acquinted with the difficulty of representing the island on a map/ satellite, you will hardly expect to "see" the island on a map/ satellite image, especially with the limitation you pointed out.

The island is hardly a Madagascar, not even an Ukerewe, it is half a football pitch for gods sake.

If you are familiar with the size of the island and are acquinted with the difficulty of representing the island on a map/ satellite, you will hardly expect to "see" the island on a map/ satellite image, especially with the limitation you pointed out.

The island is hardly a Madagascar, not even an Ukerewe, it is half a football pitch for gods sake.

For your info I am very familiar with the size of the island. To suggest that a 1 acre of land cannot be seen on Google's satellite imaging is wrong. Consider that 1 acre = 4046.86 square meters. Now the lowest resolution Google's current satellite imaging technology 15 square meters per pixel, which gives you 269 square pixel. Each Google map tile is 256 square pixels correct me if i am wrong but 1/16 of a Google map tile is very much visible.

Any way I agree with you on the verification part, on the other hand I disagree on the resolution, and that is why I pointed out the shortfalls of using Google maps. If satellites are going to be used then they must be of survey-grade quality. In this case 10 meter resolution simply does not cut it..

For your info I am very familiar with the size of the island. To suggest that a 1 acre of land cannot be seen on Google's satellite imaging is wrong. Consider that 1 acre = 4046.86 square meters. Now the lowest resolution Google's current satellite imaging technology 15 square meters per pixel, which gives you 269 square pixel. Each Google map tile is 256 square pixels correct me if i am wrong but 1/16 of a Google map tile is very much visible.

Any way I agree with you on the verification part, on the other hand I disagree on the resolution, and that is why I pointed out the shortfalls of using Google maps. If satellites are going to be used then they must be of survey-grade quality. In this case 10 meter resolution simply does not cut it..

In no way did I suggest you are not familiar, saying "if you are familiar...." does not imply you are not familiar.

If you are not satisfied with the accuracy of wikipedia/ google map, what is the point of checking with the given coordinates?

War,not really.I do not think it can reach to that point.But one thing to take note on all these issues which have been going around is that the East African Community which are preaching isn't going to be easy at all.First we should move the capital to Nairobi,now Migingo tomorrow we should re-divide the lake because there are some countries which are having a bigger chank than others.Community itakuwa kazi kweli kweli.

Humans are strange creatures, we want to kill each other over an acre of dirt!

Humans are strange creatures, we want to kill each other over an acre of dirt!

1. I agree human are strange and capable of killing each other over much less than an acre of dirt.

2.This is more than an acre of dirt, it is
a. A strategically located islet, crucial for fishing routes
b. A symbolic prize for the egos of nations.

politics is a delicate game and i doubt if going to war would help the EAC at the moment.

I think diplomacy is the way forward, lakini kuna wale wanaotaka kuona vifaru, malori, wanajeshi na damu.....hawajui ya kwamba ni raia wa kawaida watakaoumia

I'ts not about going to War...it is about a President of a sovereign country showing concern and taking charge and thinking about the safety of his people.
Or does it mean that the people on the island are lesser wanainchi...

All that conniving and manipulation...even as peoples livelihoods are in jeopardy.

Action does not mean bloodshed and fighting... No, Action here means that Kibaki should have made a stand and sought out M7 right from the "get go" Diplomacy is dialogue. So far i have not seen or heard any dialogue...only more aggression on the UG side. "They forget so soon...Kenya was one time a place of refuge for war weary UGians..."Talk of biting the proverbial hand that feeds you"

As for EAC forget it...

M7 employing his old guerilla tactics and still expect other East
Africans to join him at the table? I don't think so.
I believe he should sort out Kony first before war mongering and trying to bulldoze the EAC into being.

We have to be stable, united and able in our own countries before we can think of an EAC.

We have a loooooong waaaaay to go!!! Unfortunately.

Viongozi wetu the way I see it, wange approach hii issue ya EAC taratibu, hizi pupa za ku-abolish ma-boarder na kadhalika hazitupeleki kokote.

Kwanza wange-harmonise sheria nchi husika, especialy za uhamiaji na ufanyaji-biashara, halafu waangalie sana uzalishaji na usambazaji wa nishati especialy ya Umeme.
Ukiangalia kaskazini mwa afrika na sehemu za ulaya wameunganisha/ na kwingine wanatarijia kuunganisha mitandao ya usambazaji wa umeme (Africa-Europe Electrical Interconnection).

Lakini imekuwa viongozi wetu hawayaangalii mambo kama haya ambayo yatasaidia sana.
Taratibu wananchi watongozane kwanza kisha tukishazoeana basi ndoa hakuna atakeyepinga. Lakini huu mchezo wa kuharakishwa mwisho ni mfarakano.

Back
Top Bottom