Kenya plans Chinese-led light electronic manufacturing

Invisible

Robot
Feb 11, 2006
Written By:Xinhua News
Posted: Sat, Jul 17, 2010

KIBAKI-YES%20ELDORET.jpg

President Mwai Kibaki addresses a "Yes" campaign rally at the 64 stadium, Eldoret.

Kenya is to invite Chinese companies to be key investors in the planned setting up of light electronic manufacturing, the head of the government information communication technology development has said

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry for Information and Communications Bitange Ndemo said the Kenya government is currently seeking credit from China to set up light electronic manufacturing plant in designated Special Economic Zones.

"If Treasury succeeds in getting the credit from China, we shall obviously work with Chinese companies. Chinese firms are likely to play a key role," Ndemo told Xinhua in an interview on Thursday.

Special Economic Zones (SEZ) were proposed and approved by the government to help stimulate industrialization in the rural areas.

They have special tax benefits like the Export Processing Zones (EPZS) that are by law required to export up to 80 percent of their products.

The SEZs program covers a wider range of allowable activities than the EPZs and is expected to be major drivers for the achievement of economic objectives and goals of Vision 2030 aiming to transform Kenya into a globally competitive country.

SEZs include the establishment of agricultural parks, industrial parks, science and technology parks for the development and production of information technology software and hardware products.

There have been proposals that EPZs should be converted into SEZs as it happened in Mauritius where they have been very successful, because they created additional job opportunities and eased technology transfer.

Chinese companies have played a key role in helping Kenya develop its ICT infrastructure with two Chinese Companies, ZTE and Huawei, which are involved in the laying of the National Optic Fibre Broadband Infrastructure.

Huawei, which has set up its regional headquarters in Kenya and runs an academy for electronic engineers in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, also built the CDMA network under the rural Telecommunications.

"Treasury is now looking for the Chinese credit to roll out second phase of National Optic Fiber Broadband Infrastructure," he said.

The ICT projects undertaken by Chinese companies were supervised by the state-owned Telkom Kenya, a telecommunications company operating the Orange mobile telephone and data services jointly with France Telecom.

while some of you are worrying about some people with home made bombs other people are trying to make kenya an electronic manufacturing hub.

while some of you are worrying about some people with home made bombs other people are trying to make kenya an electronic manufacturing hub.
so unafikiria other places dont cut the deals also? by the way why fanywaa by other country electronic hub and not rooting from yourself? ogopa kufanywaaa! can be deadly!

who said anything about other countries not cutting deals,
i see u excited over a mere speech and vomiting your displeasure of people in here exposing about home made explosives in the street of your Kenya!

i see u excited over a mere speech and vomiting your displeasure of people in here exposing about home made explosives in the street of your Kenya!

so??????

you know a while ago a moderator advised me to ignore you and thats exactly what i will do!

.....you sound like a sour loser,bitter and tooo damn negative kwa kila kitu from other EA states,hiyo chuki haitakusaidia chochote and any bad news from Kenya is like therapy to you,wenzako moved on na hizo politics zako za kuchafuana & creating fear,they are looking for more opportunity & employment to better their life,people are just there to look for a way to improve their lives na hakuna mtu anakuja kuchukua anything from you or your land,you re just nasty and ignorant

It may lead to technology transfer (whatever little can be transferred), as long as the Kenyans make sure they put in place a process whereby a shift of top leadership positions take place in Kenyans' benefit. Sio kazi za chini tuu. This how the Chinese got to where they are, with respect to Western investors coming to their teritorry.

Could be a good move...

These are great news. There is a lot to gain as a country than to loose!!!

i don know if we are too late for those kind of things (involvement in manufacturing), nchi nyingi za zfrica manufacturing kwetu imekua ni the most unwanted disease ever to occur, its a good direction but i am just curious arent we a little bit late for those kind of things? labda tuendeleee tu na tabia zetu za uchuuzi wa bidhaa i.e udalali.

Back
Top Bottom