Kenya Mall Was Attacked By Only 4 Men, NYPD Says

Nyani Ngabu

Platinum Member
May 15, 2006
BY Christian Bryant

Kenyan authorities initially said as many as 15 people were behind September's mall attack in Nairobi. But a report released Tuesday by the New York Police Department says there could've been as few as four attackers — all of whom might've gotten away.

Those findings come from NYPD detectives who were sent to Nairobi to investigate the attack. The NYPD presented the report to private security personnel in and around New York. (Via ABC)

Attackers believed to be members of al-Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked terrorist group, killed more than 60 people at the upscale Westgate Mall in Nairobi. (Via Channel 4)

According to the report, the four attackers arrived at the mall around 12:30 p.m. on Sept. 21. They tossed three grenades and killed many of their first victims with AK-47s within the first 15 minutes. (Via CNN)

But the NYPD report says these men didn't have body armor, handguns or heavy weapons. They carried a few explosives and several hundred bullets in eight magazines. (Via The New York Times)

And although many news reports described the multi-day attack as a hostage situation, the NYPD says otherwise. The men killed as many people as they could. They only spared the lives of people who were Muslims and could name the mother of the Prophet Mohammed.

The men then hid out in a storage room. Twelve hours after the attack began, they spotted a CCTV camera, turned it away and possibly made their escape. Meanwhile, the siege continued for the next two days because authorities thought the men were still inside the mall. (Via The Guardian, CBS)

There was no mention of Americans being among the four attackers and the report refutes the claim that a British jihadi dubbed "The White Widow" played a role in the attack. But as NBC reports, the findings are critical of the Kenyan military and police response.

"The police department tactical team entered the mall at 3 p.m., without police markings or identifications, and were fired on by Kenyan soldiers, killing the commander of the unit.
"According to the NYPD report, the responding Kenyans 'had no idea what the mall looked like internally.'"
The report also alleges Kenyan soldiers looted the mall during the siege.

A writer for The Daily Beast spoke to the author of the presentation who said the attack on Westgate Mall was "simple ... effective and easy to copy."

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly also told reporters Tuesday that police officers conducted a terror drill in the middle of the night at a closed New York City shopping mall to test the NYPD's ability to handle a similar scenario.

Source

Initially we were told that there were about 15 terrorists, tonight I saw the NYPD chief telling CNN that there were only 4 terrorists that terrorized the mall and all of them managed to sneak away!!
I'm pretty sure we will hear a lot about the mysteries shrouding the whole episode

Initially we were told that there were about 15 terrorists, tonight I saw the NYPD chief telling CNN that there were only 4 terrorists that terrorized the mall and all of them managed to sneak away!!
I'm pretty sure we will hear a lot about the mysteries shrouding the whole episode

it beats me that outsiders are more concerned with the security situation. if four men can be behind this we may need the NYPD to train our men and women in the forces.

Nyani bana. Thot we were ove this. Times and times again.

Heshima mbele, ivibration,

You and who else were over this thing? That to me is a selfish statement.

There are still people who lost their loved ones in this thing and they still havent recieved
any official statement from the GoK....neither have they gotten any bodies to bury with
full rites. Sasa how do you expect such to move on?..ama is this the cliche in KE nowadays?

Secondly, the President set up a tribunal to investigate this matter. Until that report is recieved
and debated upon, then this case is still open.

Happy 50th!

Last edited by a moderator:
it beats me that outsiders are more concerned with the security situation. if four men can be behind this we may need the NYPD to train our men and women in the forces.

Kamanda,

this people you label outsiders, have their citizens visiting and residing in KE...thats why the concern. They
have an obligation to protect their citizenry as they are bound by a constitution which they uphold to the t.
Sio lip service tu.

You dont need the NYPD to train Kenyan forces at all...they are well trained so to speak. They need to respect
each other na waache kifua kama ile KDF ilileta ndani ya hii seketa. if KDF had let the police and REECE handle
this situation (which I believe and know they were capable of) hakungekua na hii balaa ambapo the army killed
members of the police force and REECE. Hii kifua mingi haina maana wakati mwengine. Remeber brains do well over
matter.

Happy 50th!

Hata kujilinda hatuwezi, wala kuchunguza matukio hatuwezi mpaka tuwaite wazungu watufanyie, halafu hao hao tunawasema kwa ubaya.

Ikiwa haya madogo hatuyawezi, ndio tutaweza kuchimba gas na mafuta wenyewe? Na ikiwa kuingia tu mall badala ya kutatua tatizo tukaanza kuiba, hiyo gas na oil itakuwa salama kweli mikononi mwetu?

Miafrika Ndivyo Tulivyo - Nyani Ngabu

Heshima mbele, ivibration,

You and who else were over this thing? That to me is a selfish statement.

There are still people who lost their loved ones in this thing and they still havent recieved
any official statement from the GoK....neither have they gotten any bodies to bury with
full rites. Sasa how do you expect such to move on?..ama is this the cliche in KE nowadays?

Secondly, the President set up a tribunal to investigate this matter. Until that report is recieved
and debated upon, then this case is still open.

Happy 50th!

Buda si kwa ubaya. But the bitter truth to swallow is that hata gava ikikam na official statement inakaa aje, still hiyo haitaleta victims of the attack wawe hai tena. We should instead be supportive to the government initiatives of coming up with ways and means of curbing such occurrences in future. They have already learned the hard way.

3 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom