Kenya Election 2007: Outcomes

Interesting debate,

Nadhani tunahitaji new elections in one year!

Naafikiana na matatizo- kulingana na haya yaliotokea Kenya- Kibaki wala Raila wasigombee!

Wagombee watu wengine neutral!

Matatito na Ab-tizchz, we can make our arguments bila kuongelea Ukikuyu, Uluo, Ukamba n.k. Mnajua JF huwa hatujadiliani kwa misingi ya Kikabila!

Kaka madamu watagombea uchaguzi wa kisiasa hiyo habari ya "neutral" sahau. Hakuna kitu kinachoitwa "neutral" kwenye siasa. Kinachotakiwa ni refa (tume ya uchaguzi) isiyokubali kuyumbishwa na wagombea; upate tume inayowasikiliza wapiga kura badala ya wagombea. Alichokosea Kivuitu ni kuwasikiliza wagombea walichotaka badala ya kila wapiga kura walitaka. Kwa mimi nafikiri hoja sio Kibali au Raila kutogombea; hoja ni kwamba tupate watu watakaosimamia uchaguzi vizuri na wakaenda na vile wapiga kura watakavyoamua badala ya kukimbia kutangaza matokeo kwenye uchochoro!

I think you are the one who is trying to fool us. We know better and much more than what you are trying to put across here. If Kibaki won and was as popular as you try to suggest here, he would never rush himself into being sworn in the hiding. It is this sort of attitude that is complicating this unnecessary crisis. You will only start solving the problems you are facing by first and foremost acknowledge their presence. This foolhardy manouvering of the facts will never take Kenya anywhere other than keep on wasting innocent people's precious lives.

the reason it had to happen was coz there was a leadership vacuum.For a few hours Kenya had no official president an anybody from the street could have legally claimed the office if they got the means whatsoever to make the CJ to swear them in.ODM are rumored to have tried this trick but they got out-foxed by the old fox.Since ODM is legally compromised an they know their is enough evidence against them to criminalize em,they went for mass action which Kenyans largely ignored.This is a people too dumb.They engineered an expulsion of a people from some regions coz of tribe.So happened the persecution of Kikuyus in the Rift Valley.In so doing did they awaken the dog which everybody would wish could have stayed lying,the dreaded Mungiki.If u don't know what Mungiki is,let me give u a brief description.Vampires,religious,cultist,murdering, psychopaths.

Hebu taja hio mikoa usemayo!
Pili, huyo Kalonzo anaangalia tumbo lake na sio la wakamba waliompigia kura.Iwapo anawamaindi jamaa zake mbona hakuenda kujadiliana nao kabla hajachukua hicho kiti cha naibu?
Tatu,kura nyingi za Kibaki zilitokana na wakikuyu waliowengi na sio siri na nyengine zote aliiba kwa kuongeza idadi ya kura alizopata.Kama kweli ni raisi wa halali mbona aliapishwa chini ya kiwingu cha kiza?Mbona hakuenda Uhuru Park kama 2002 na kuwaalika viongozi wa ulimwengu kuja kumshuhudia?Mbona fujo linaendelea Kenya na jamaa ameshindwa ku-control mambo?Acha kutuhadaa wewe nanii maana sisi kidogo tumekomaa na siasa za Kenya siku hizi.Hii hapana zamani!

Kibaki won in Nairobi,Central,Eastern an North Eastern.

Hii usemayo sio sahihi. Kibaki won in Central overwhelmingly. He won also in eastern by a narrow margin with other votes going to the province's homeboy Kalonzo. Kibaki was neck-to-neck with Raila in Nairobi but Raila won in this province. Kibaki walso followed Raila closely in North Eastern. Western, Nyanza, Riftvalley and Coast voted overwhelmingly for Raila. It is now emerging that even with the rigging Raila won by 123, 476 Votes.

Meanwhile MP wa pili wa ODM kauawa. Even if kafa from non-political reasons kifo chake ni petroli itakayoongeza moto unaowaka Kenya leo.

The feeling on the ground is that military intervention is now the people's hope for a way forward. Some say it is going to happen. When we dont know. Lets wait and see.

the reason it had to happen was coz there was a leadership vacuum.For a few hours Kenya had no official president an anybody from the street could have legally claimed the office if they got the means whatsoever to make the CJ to swear them in.ODM are rumored to have tried this trick but they got out-foxed by the old fox.Since ODM is legally compromised an they know their is enough evidence against them to criminalize em,they went for mass action which Kenyans largely ignored.This is a people too dumb.They engineered an expulsion of a people from some regions coz of tribe.So happened the persecution of Kikuyus in the Rift Valley.In so doing did they awaken the dog which everybody would wish could have stayed lying,the dreaded Mungiki.If u don't know what Mungiki is,let me give u a brief description.Vampires,religious,cultist,murdering, psychopaths.

Total rubbish, its not even worth discussing. Leadership Vacuum? Give us a break!
Most of the people who are reading this thread have a good knowledge of Kenya's politics, they won't be fooled easily.

Wakuu,

Nilipitia huko kwenye blogu fulani na nikapata hii interesting yet painful piece iliyoandikwa na kijana fulani anayejipata kwenye hali tata: babake ni wa jamii tofauti na ya mamake. Sijui mnaonaje kwenye issue hili la hawa "in-betweens". Wao ni kabila gani sasa? Yaani wakikimbia huku panga yawasubili wakikimbia kule mshale unawasubili. Duh!

When you find yourself talking with several guests of the morbid situation of your country during the wedding of one of your friends, you quickly realize there is something wrong with your country. When your National broadcasters show men being dragged out of public service vehicles and hacked to death by a mob of young men who do not even hide their faces from the police a few metres away, and such scenes are repeated more than the advertisements and commercials, then your country is doomed. When you hear that people are chased from their homes into a church for belonging to a particular tribe, and then followed into the church where women and children are locked inside and then burnt alive, my friends, you are no longer in a country, you are living inside hell on earth.

The Swahili (oh, that language that was supposed to unite us and now has been rendered impotent in its intended super-glue powers) - the Swahili say that when you see your friend being shaved with a razor, start wetting your hair in preparation for your shave too.

I do not intend to go gently into that dark beyond without saying a word of goodbye. Friends, (and those who consider me an enemy because of my tribe or lack of it), being of sane mind and in charge of my mental faculties, I bid you goodbye. I chose to write you an orbituary, which you should read as a love letter to my country that has died in that critical moment when its dreams were giving birth to a beautiful bouncing future.

I know not the hour of my death, for no one knows the hour of their death in this country anymore. That man on Naivasha, who was dragged from the car and his speech as he answered questions betrayed him as belonging to a tribe the highway blockers were hunting down, he did not know his death. I have seen myself trying to run from the mob the way he desperately tried, machetes raining on his back, and yet he ran on, three desperate steps, before his body disintegrated into huge chunks of human flesh and fell down. Upon which they cubed him. I too, my friend, am about to face the same death. My tongue, when I try to speak, shall definitely betray me as a targeted tribesman when the mob does come to me. For I do not belong to any tribe.

My sister, Rozi, called me yesterday trembling with fear. She lives in Western Kenya, on the Eldoret/Kakamega border. They had taken a patient to Moi Referral Hospital Eldoret. On their way back, the ambulance was stopped by youths bearing all forms of crude weapons. They demanded to know which tribes everyone in the ambulance belonged to. The driver was of the local tribe, so he was told to step aside. As the others showed their National Identity cards, my sister realized that all around them were corpses of human beings freshly chopped to death. Her turn came and she said she was Luhya. They told her to speak in Luhya, but my Sister doesn’t know Luhya. “I really can’t speak it because my mother is a Taita!” she pleaded. She had to desperately show a photocopy of my mother’s National Identity card which she had in her purse, a photocopy my mother had given to her the previous week to use as a referee for the bank account she was switching to. That photocopy saved my sister. The only language my sister can speak, apart from English and the National Swahili, is Gikuyu. The tribe the youths were targeting.

My friend, I know no tribe. I only know languages. My mother is Taita, my Father is Luhya, and we were raised in Kiambu among the Gikuyu. It has never been important in our family to know which tribe we should belong to, my sisters and brothers have names from both sides of our parents communities. In this chaos, if the hunters of fellow humans were to find us in our house, would they really believe we are brothers and sisters from our names?

If I say am Luhya, the Gikuyu with whom I have lived and now am engaged to one of their daughters would kill me as they have gone on a mission to revenge the deaths of their kinsmen in Western Kenya. If I flee to my parent’s home in Luhyaland, the neighbours will barbecue me alive for I can’t speak their language and of course my mom is from a foreign tribe. Not to forget that the guy who sold us that piece of land where my mom and Dad saved so hard to buy is known to come and insist on grazing his cow on our compound claiming “my cows used to feed here, buying the land doesn’t mean I don’t own it!”

Now in this Nairobi where I stay, I am wary of my neighbours. The guy opposite my flat is a Luo with whom we argued amicably during the pre-election period on which party we supported. Maybe now, given that friendly neighbours have been the ones killing each other, he might remember our political chats over my litres of coffee and come chop me up?

That is why friends, I have decided to write this obituary. I know not my tribe, I have only known myself as Kenyan, and others as fellow Kenyans. In these times, belonging or not belonging means not being dead or being seriously dead. What chances does a person like me have?

My friends have their tribes mates to protect them. The cosmopolitan Nairobi has now been balkanized with residential estates being exclusive reserves of certain tribes. Complete with murderous gangs imported from up-country to protect their own. Mungiki for the Gikuyu, Chingororo for the Gusii, and the Baghdad Boys and Taliban for the Luo. Where, pray I, is the estate Balkanised for those of us of mixed heritage who know not their war cry of their tribal warriors? The only two tribes I can run to don’t have such armies. And claiming my Dad’s Luhya identity, and a Bukusu at that, is problematic in itself. The Gikuyus are hunting them down claiming they voted ODM together with the Luos, and the Luos are hunting them down too claiming they voted for Kibaki together with the Gikuyus. So such is my fate for my father belonging to this tribe that voted 50-50!

My friends, I have prepared myself for my death. I don’t know how it will be, but since as a Film and TV drama person I believe in rehearsals, I have rehearsed all possible scenarios so that when my moment comes, it won’t be so hard to take it. Chekhov’s method acting manuals are no longer needed. I just turn the TV on during news time or read the papers, and from the several images of people who have been killed in various ways, I choose one to dream and perfect that night. I have dreamt of being locked into a church or building with several others and torched alive. I have smelt the petrol fumes as its being splattered through the window onto our bodies and then round the building. I have seen the flash of the matchstick being lit, and smelled my flesh burning to ashes.

I have rehearsed how I will smile when I am dragged out of a public vehicle and hacked to pieces by the marauding youths who pop up in our numerous roads. I want to die smiling bravely, but just like the guys I see on Al Jazeera and other International TV channels, the moment I get to that part where a red eyed bearded man pokes his head into the bus and shouts “everyone wave your ID cards in the air!” I wet myself and start screaming for mercy, instantly easing their work of identifying foreigners for the blades to work on.

I have rehearsed how best to gasp when a barbed arrow strikes my chest. Or a club smashes my brain out of my skull. Or a spiked plank of wood is driven through my mouth. I have died so many times, my friends, that now I must be immune to the real death when it comes.

I used to laugh at tourists buying maps of Nairobi. I bought one recently. It is stuck in the wall of my bedroom where small pencil marks indicate all the escape routes I will try to walk in to get out of town once the mayhem knocks on my door. Unfortunately, to the west are roadblocks where my Luhya name will mean instant death. If I go Mombasa Road I might run into a roadblock where Kamba’s and all coast people are being cubed. To the North I can’t even dare. To the south I might pass, coz I can speak Gikuyu, but my name would be my passport to the grave yard. That map, my friend, directed me to writing this obituary.

Maybe if I was a famous poet I would go down in history alongside Chris Okigbo, the Nigerian poet who went to Biafra seeking to actualize his poetry but found bullets instead. My friends abroad are asking me if I am safe. Maybe if I had been bright of mind like they were I would have faked a bank account statement immediately I cleared my o-levels and fled to the United States to wash toilets in between my degree courses, but no. When they told me America is the land of dreams, I swore to them I am an Africanist, a believer in the African dream. When they filled scholarship forms to get away from this dark continent, I laughed at them. Now my faith in my country has faded faster than the newness of the news year.

So, friends, some of us never really thought that our tribe was that important. Simply because we were from the tribes that make up Kenya. Some of us have lived in every province of this once great nation and learnt the local languages, drank the local brews, danced the local songs-so well that the locals even gave us the names of their tribes to fondly call us by. I have been called Kamau, Mwanganyi, Wambua, and even Bayelsa in Nigeria. (I should have known, when Dudun told me that Bayelsa is the troublesome state of Nigeria where the Delta is, that it was a premonition of the war in my country.)

I have nowhere to go. No tribe to run to. No tribes men to protect me. Except the grave. Which is what my fellow country men are intent on sending all those who don’t belong to their tribe. Goodbye, friends.. Seeing that all fast food restaurants have a notice ‘pay in advance’, let me take the cue and say Goodbye in advance. When you see a pulp of human flesh in the tarmac with youths dancing round it waving their bloody matchetes, look closely. That ear might be mine. That grinning upper lip might be mine. I loved you, my fellow countrymen. I loved without thinking of your parental lineage. I loved Kenya. But look what this country has done to me: sodomised my sense of humanity and pride.

5 Responses to ' Diary 25 - The obituary of Simiyu Barasa, written by himself '
Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Diary 25 - The obituary of Simiyu Barasa, written by himself '.

Eleanor said,

on January 31st, 2008 at 6:29

This is easily the most moving piece of writing I have read about the situation here in Kenya. I sincerely hope that this obituary of yours will not be needed.

Mzalendo#2 said,

on January 31st, 2008 at 7:00

Simiyu and all KenyanPundit readers:

Beautiful sentiments all around, but now that another ODM MP has been shot dead http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L31621168.htm, where do you think we’re headed? Is there likely to be an end to this crisis?

Honorary Kenyan said,

on January 31st, 2008 at 7:51

Moving. I cried through the entire obituary. Although I may seem presumptous, but I promise you it will never be needed.

prou said,

on January 31st, 2008 at 9:23

Where indeed are we headed as Kenya.
That would be collective obituary of Kenyans.

Lovely writing.

Mil said,

on January 31st, 2008 at 11:02

Its really sad wen one gets to this point.
Funny that my dad is Luhya and my mum Taita as well.
I keep asking them who i am.
Wat tribe should i say i belong to when the hour comes?
I feel you but i also have hope that we shall outlive the violence.
Keep safe!

SOURCE: http://www.kenyanpundit.com/?p=451#comment-85607

Huyu naye katoka wapi?
He thinks we have fried eggs for brains?

Raphael Tuju is a Luo an very much liked by the Kikuyus an other communities.His developmental record is off the charts.To answer ur question,I would figure Kalonzo Musyoka an Tuju as the front-runners.Then it could be Chirau Mwakwere as the next option.

You must be kidding. I hardly think you know the Kenyan situation at all! Your analysis is completely devoid of objectivity. I am surprised by your ommission of Karua in your list!

Acha uongo wewe nanii.Unaona wabongo ni mabumbumbu ya kutuletea matapishi hapa.Kibaki won in central bacause of the Kikuyu votes na eastern because of the Meru folk.Hio biashara ya Nairobi na North Eastern ni utumbo unatuletea.Sasa naona serikali ya Kibaki inaua viongozi wa upinzani ili kupata majority bungeni.Tell him to be smart when doing such things!

on what authority should Raila form a government?U ODM nitwits can't even prove how the election was rigged.Some ODM strongholds had turnouts of like 109% an 125%.Yet the the media is ignoring that fact.The best the PNU could manage is a 91% turnout.So,who's the thief.For all it's shortcomings,the ODM is the bona-fide champion of propaganda.Whatever the outcome,the fate of the Kikuyu was inevitable.Kibaki is just trying to protect the inevitable.Kikuyus are very well hated.I'm one, i should know,i've experienced it.

There must be a reason to why you are so much hated !!!it can't be for nothing!!!

all data is available online an it's not my prerogative to indulge u.Go look an find it.In ur findings u will discover that the Raila camp has un-shamedly twisted the numbers.Case in point Juja constituency.As to ODM,Kibaki only got like 45000 votes in a constituency with 123000+ voters.Juja is PNU country.Going with the trend of the region(Central),at least a 70% percent turnout happened.In all honesty the world is finally adding one to the other an exactly seeing thro the illusion of Railamania.His supporters have effectively driven out any Kikuyu,Embu,Meru an Kisiis out of Kisumu.The third largest city in Kenya has the dubious international rating as "ethnically cleansed".In so doing
they burnt it down to a cider.To Tanzanians if u cared anyway,Kisumu an Kibera(huge Nairobi slum) are both dominant with Luos.They have always been the trouble-spots in Kenya.Go figure.

It is a fact that those in the slum are the marginalized ones ,deprived of equal right to access into country's resources.The Luo constitute the majority of Kibera it is the reason to why their so angry of Kikuyu dominnate economy system that put them as spectators of Economy Play in Kenya.

this is what u don't know.Officially Kibaki won 4 provinces an Raila won in 4 provinces.Wake up people.If u will bother to see thro the ODM hype,Kibaki has the popular vote as in PNU alone.Now since he got ODM-K an all other smaller parties on his side,it's a landslide.Let nobody fool u.Majority of Kenya is with Kibaki.

Ukabila umekufumba macho huwezi ona ,fumba domo lako we kipofu

on what authority should Raila form a government?U ODM nitwits can't even prove how the election was rigged.Some ODM strongholds had turnouts of like 109% an 125%.Yet the the media is ignoring that fact.The best the PNU could manage is a 91% turnout.So,who's the thief.For all it's shortcomings,the ODM is the bona-fide champion of propaganda.Whatever the outcome,the fate of the Kikuyu was inevitable.Kibaki is just trying to protect the inevitable.Kikuyus are very well hated.I'm one, i should know,i've experienced it.

WITHIN 30 MINUTES AFTER kIBAKI WAS ANNOUNCED VICTOR, HE WAS WORN IN AT ATATE HOUSE WITH GUESTS AND THE CHIEF JUSTICE. DO YOU WANT TO TELL ME THAT THE CHIEF JUSTICE WAS NOT AT STATE HOUSE WHEN THE RESULTS WERE ANNOUNCED.

YOU MIGHT BE BLINDED BY THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A KIKUYU BUT THE THING IS THE CJ WAS WAITING FOR THE RESULTS TO BE ANNOUNCED AT ASTATE HOUSE AND NEW VERY WELL IT WOULD BE IN FOVOUR OF kIBAKI.

WITHIN 30 MINUTES AFTER kIBAKI WAS ANNOUNCED VICTOR, HE WAS WORN IN AT ATATE HOUSE WITH GUESTS AND THE CHIEF JUSTICE. DO YOU WANT TO TELL ME THAT THE CHIEF JUSTICE WAS NOT AT STATE HOUSE WHEN THE RESULTS WERE ANNOUNCED.

YOU MIGHT BE BLINDED BY THE FACT THAT YOU ARE A KIKUYU BUT THE THING IS THE CJ WAS WAITING FOR THE RESULTS TO BE ANNOUNCED AT ASTATE HOUSE AND NEW VERY WELL IT WOULD BE IN FOVOUR OF kIBAKI.

Swali gumu sana hili na sidhanii kama jamaa atajibu.

MP family denies Ali's love theory

Published on February 1, 2008, 12:00 am

By Peter Mutai and Mutinda Mwanzia

Chaos reigned in Kericho town on Thursday as Ainamoi constituents mourned their MP, Mr David Kimutai Too.

Protesting youths burned oil tankers and houses.

The MP’s family denied Too was a victim of a love triangle. A family spokesman, Mr Julius Langat, said the MP flew to Eldoret from Nairobi as he could not drive straight to Kericho due to the ongoing post-election violence.

He said a policewoman who was with him, Eunice Chepkwony, was his neighbour.

A sorrowful mood engulfed Chepkoiyo village, as mourners thronged the legislator’s home to condole with his family.

While condemning the killing, the family demanded thorough investigation.

Too’s mother, Sarah, and widow, Lina, wailed uncontrollably upon learning of the death on Thursday morning.

Langat said the MP had gone to inquire about the situation on the roads, adding that Too had complained that his life was in danger.

"Eunice was a neighbour and a family friend. They were not in a love affair as the Police Commissioner claimed," said Langat.

He continued: "This is a cover-up by the police in an attempt to distort information. The police should tell Kenyans the truth instead of taking us in circles."

He said the woman was a relative and there was no way they could be involved in an affair.

The news of the death sparked chaos in the town that was regaining calm after days of riots.

Armed youths burnt six petroleum tankers headed for Uganda, as roadblocks were erected on the Kericho-Sotik road.

His life in danger

At James Finlay, two houses belonging to senior managers were set on fire.

More were burnt in Nyagacho and Majengo estates, as police shot in the air to disperse the rowdy youths.

The protest spread to Bureti, Bomet, Kipkelion and Sotik districts, where businesses were hurriedly closed.

Langat said the MP had claimed that his life was in danger.

"Too had expressed fears that his life was in danger especially during the campaign period," he said.

Meanwhile, a sombre mood enveloped Parliament as MPs tried to come to terms with the killing of a colleague.

Government Deputy Chief Whip and Kangundo MP, Mr Nduya Muthama, termed the death regrettable.

"I’m shocked by the death that has come hot on the heels of that of the Embakasi MP, Mugabe Were," said Muthama.

Speaking at a news conference on Thursday, Muthama urged Kenyans to remain calm as police investigated the death.

Mwingi South MP, Mr David Musila, and his Kibwezi colleague, Prof Philip Kaloki, asked the Government to ensure that the culprits behind the death of two MPs were brought to book.

"We join the family and friends of Too in mourning his death and pray to God to give them strength to bear it all," said Kaloki.

Machakos Town and Kathiani MPs, Dr Victor Munyaka and Ms Wavinya Ndeti, also condoled the family.

MPs and parliamentary staff huddled together as they discussed the death in hushed tones. "The circumstances in which the MP has died are shocking," said a staff member who sought

Kenya excluded from AU council

Published on February 1, 2008, 12:00 am

By Abiya Ochola

Kenya has been excluded from a new Peace and Security Council (PSC) of the African Union.

Kenya has traditionally championed peace and security matters in the continent, but was not elected to the prestigious council.

The country was earlier expected to lead the council in its formative stages because of its record in peace missions in Sierra Leone, Yugoslavia and East Timor.

The Standard could not independently confirm if Kenya had been proposed for a slot on the council.

But sources said Foreign Affairs minister, Mr Moses Wetangula, put a strong case on Kenya. A source at the summit was quoted saying that on Monday, Wetangula tried to block plans to have the crisis discussed.

But countries such as South Africa demanded that the Kenyan conflict be treated like others in the continent.

Rwanda and Uganda were picked to represent eastern Africa, dealing a major diplomatic blow to the Kenyan delegation in Addis Ababa.

The two countries, now enjoying calm after decades of internal turmoil, have slowly taken over the enviable position Kenya enjoyed before the disputed presidential election results that has torn the country apart.

President Kibaki and Wetangula are leading the delegation to the 12th Ordinary Session of the AU, which elected members of the council.

Other countries appointed to the prestigious PSC, modelled on the UN Security Committee, are Burundi and Chad (Central Africa), Tunisia (Northern Africa), Swaziland and Zambia (Southern Africa) and Benin, Burkina Faso and Mali (Western Africa).

The AU also condemned the violation of human rights in Kenya as the post-election crisis. AU Commission Chairman, Mr Alpha Oumar Konare, warned that unless speedy measures were taken, Kenya could degenerate into genocide.

"We cannot sit and observe another genocide, after what happened in Rwanda," he said.

Konare called for greater international participation in resolving the post-election crisis that has left nearly 1,000 people dead and half million homeless.

The economy has also been battered to the tune of Sh190 billion.

Konare called on AU Foreign ministers to ensure the implementation and respect of good governance, democracy, non-indifference and gender equality.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom