Elections 2010 Justification for establishment of an independent national election commission

Lalashe

Nov 4, 2010
THE FOLLOWING ARE SOME OF THE REASONS I BELIEVE JUSTIFY THE DISMANTLING OF NEC TO PAVE WAY FOR AN INDEPENDENT ELECTION COMMISSION MEAN WHILE A PEOPLES INTERIM ELECTION COMMISSION BE APPOINTED THROUGH THE ACT OF THE PARLIAMENT WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INFLUENCE

1. DUE TO IGNORANCE AND LACK OF OBJECTIVITY OF NEC THEY OPERATED UNDER THE FOLLOWING ASSUMPTIONS THAT:
:evil: The 2010 URT election conducted as secret ballot and automatically guaranteed FAIRNESS-were all parties equally represented in voting stations? definately no the powerful party was represented and protected more than the small and weak parties. An independent NEC should have made rules and conditions for a level field for all parties to play which they didnt, a justification for NEC to resign

:evil: Small and less powerful parties were represented in VOTING STATIONS by own appointed agents and that they will be able to defend the position of their own parties without being influenced by the Ruling powerful state party CCM. Unfortunately, a good number of polling stations had no representatives and for those who where there NEC could not support them. The Question is WHY NEC COULD NOT SUPPORT THEM CALLS FOR THEM TO STEP DOWN WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT.

:evil: That government appointed election clerks were NEUTRAL! Election clerks works for the same government same party which does not want to give opportunities to provide their experience for political leadership of this country. NEC I believe in making this assumption they were completely wrong and they knew that it is to the advantage of CCM who put them to power.

:evil: The ruling CCM has no power to influence to determine results. LEWIS and KIRAVU are witness to the fact that the ruling party did influence and determine the whole picture of how results should look like?

:evil: Corruption and intimidation of less powerful opposition parties will not prevail during compaigns and voting? Many Tanzanian out in the street have their opinion on why they did not vote or come out openly to express their dissatisfaction of the election process-FEAR OF INTIMIDATION OF STATE MACHINERY-NEC HAVE NOTHING TO SAY ON THIS HENCE THE NEED FOR THEM TO STEP DOWN.

:evil: Voters were educated on how to vote and turn out on the election day to vote and WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE INFORMED DECISION. NEC did not play this role effectively look at the statistics 20 million registered voters only 8 million turn out to vote. In my polling station a number voters ahead of me ON THE QUE entered the voting station not knowing what to do with the papers they were given by election clerks? NEC you did not do you work properly for a reason THAT YOU WANT to make sure that those loop holes can be used by the ruling party to their advantage. NEC there is a lot of evidence of CSO's barred to provide voters education in some constituencies because the incumbets did not want the mass to get the knowledge. I have evidence but what did you do as an election body claiming to be independent-because it was CCM doing that you kept quite. STEP DOWN

:evil: Elites have no power to influence and manipulate masses during the election. Surely, NEC you have seen the involvement of the elites in influencing the voting process. what have you done about it nothing. STEP DOWN

:attention:What I am trying to bring to the attention of Tanzanians is based on the election process and the assumptions made above by NEC on the 2010 election is that IT WAS COUNTER REVOLUTIONARY AND IT MANAGED TO SQUASH citizenry intention to elimate CCM from ruling this country through the ballot. Thus NEC developed election mechanisms to neutralize the desire of masses through opposition parties to punish CCM for the EVILS they have committed to this country and its people.

WHAT SHOULD BE DONE THE COMING PARLIAMENT THROUGH THE OPPOSITION SHOULD PUSH FOR AN ELECTION COMMISSION THAT IS INSTALLED BY THE PEOPLE AND NOT THE PRESIDENT FOR GREATER INDEPENDENCE AND OBJECTIVITY I BELIEVE THIS POSSIBLE BEFORE 2015.

I strongly agree with you but we need new constitution as well to shed some power from the President to interfere with election process.

Back
Top Bottom