Is there an entry Visa fee for Burundi & Rwanda?!

Resi

Aug 29, 2007
I am a Tanzanian working in the DRC. Recently I visited Uvira town, and decided to cross the border into Bujumbura, Burundi to do some shopping. To my great surprise the immigration official on the Burundi side demanded that I pay $20.00 as Visa fee. I tried to reason with him that we are in the same Community now, but he rudely (very rudely) demanded the twenty dollars AND threatened(!) me, that he would lock me up!! I paid the $20.00 and he gave me some kind of receipt. I would like the views of my fellow East Africans about this incident.

I am a Tanzanian working in the DRC. Recently I visited Uvira town, and decided to cross the border into Bujumbura, Burundi to do some shopping. To my great surprise the immigration official on the Burundi side demanded that I pay $20.00 as Visa fee. I tried to reason with him that we are in the same Community now, but he rudely (very rudely) demanded the twenty dollars AND threatened(!) me, that he would lock me up!! I paid the $20.00 and he gave me some kind of receipt. I would like the views of my fellow East Africans about this incident.

Pole na yaliyokusibu ndugu. Kiswahili unakimanya au sio?
That was very rude, kwa nini unadhani aliamua kutoa vitisho?

The East African Community (EAC) is the regional intergovernmental organisation of the Republics of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of Burundi and Republic of Rwanda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.

http://www.eac.int/index.htm#

Secretary General Elaborates Measures to Ease Cross Border Trade and Movement

http://www.eac.int/news_2008_jan_EAC_SG_elaboration_cross_border_trade.htm

EAC Headquarters, Monday 21 January 2008: The Secretary General of the East African Community, Ambassador Juma Mwapachu has wound up a thee-day (17-19 January) visit to the Tanzanian border towns of Bukoba, Mutukula and Mwanza with a call on the Immigration, Police and Revenue authorities in the EAC border regions to get on the frontline of the effort to promote cross-border trade and free movement of persons in the region.
The Secretary General said that the EAC Customs Union which was launched in 2005 and the advanced preparations towards the realization of the EAC Common Market by 2010, had established a conducive environment for increased intra-EAC trade and free movement of persons. He said the EAC Partner States already have agreed a substantial number of measures which, with diligent application by the relevant authorities in the field , should vastly ease customs and trade flow within the East African region.

The Secretary General cited the requirements of Business Visa, temporary visa and import duties and declaration fees on various products, as among the requirements that have been removed or eased and whose continued enforcement by some officers at the border posts in the Partner States was causing frustrations to the business community, hindering cross-border trade and movement and drawing back the regional integration and development process.

The Secretary General said the Temporary Visa charges previously levied by immigration authorities had since June 2007 been removed and retained only as temporary work permits for those entering Tanzania for "temporary assignments". He said the levies were no longer applicable to traders, transporters and visitors who are not seeking temporary employment in Tanzania. Similarly, the Import Declaration Fee on imports from Uganda and Kenya was removed in June 2007.

The Secretary General said the EAC Partner States have adopted the EAC harmonized Standards for goods traded within the region which has been enacted into law and provides for mutual recognition of national quality marks on products by each of the Bureaus of Standards. The mechanism agreed by the Partner States for application of the Standards should be implemented without subjecting the goods to vigorous verification upon importation once they bear the quality marks.

On road transport, the Secretary General said a grace period of seven days without payment of Temporary Road Licence is allowed for Uganda and Kenya registered vehicles entering Tanzania under the 1998 East African Tripartite Agreement on Road Transport which is still in force.

The Secretary General said the Immigration, Police and Revenue authorities at the border posts should constantly update themselves on the decisions of the EAC Council of Ministers concerning cross-border trade and movement in order to ensure compliance with and effective implementation of the decisions. He said the decisions were usually communicated through the EAC Gazette and the circulars issued by the relevant Ministries of the Partner States.

The Secretary General said the EAC would step up its public communications about the EAC decisions through targeted publications. He said the EAC is due to revamp its Website to deliver up to date business information on the EAC region. Other measures that will be immediately implemented include closer monitoring by the EAC of the implementation of the regional projects and programmes on the ground.

The Secretary General was accompanied during the visit to the Tanzania border areas by the EAC Director of Customs Mr Kenneth Bagamuhunda, the Head of the EAC Directorate of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs Mr Magaga Alot, the Principal Administration Officer Mr Abdul Katabaro and the Chef de Cabinet Mr Henry Obbo.

During the visit the Secretary General called on the Regional Commissioner of Mwanza Region, Dr James Msekela, and the District Commissioner of Missenyi in Kagera region Mr. E.K. Maarugu; and also addressed meetings with Immigration, Police and Revenue authorities as well as the representatives of the business communities in Bukoba, Mutukula and Mwanza.

The Secretary General said the visit had revealed important details concerning the implementation of the Customs Union and other regional programmes on the ground. He said the problems encountered by the business community would be promptly attended to and brought before the EAC Council of Ministers for solutions to be worked out.

The Secretary General visited the Mwanza port where he was briefed on the special operations at the port to keep supplies of vital commodities, including petroleum, foodstuffs and general merchandise flowing to Uganda following disruptions of services from the port of Mombasa during the current political disturbances in Kenya. The Secretary General also inspected the EAC research vessel RV Jumuiya which has started operations in mapping and survey of Lake Victoria for safety of navigation and monitoring fisheries resources and environmental conditions on the lake.

Directorate of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs

EAC Secretariat

Arusha

Ndugu yangu Lazydog, Kiswahili nakimanya sana! Lengo langu lilikuwa nieleweke na ndugu wote wakazi wa East Africa kwa yaliyonisibu. Nashukuru kwa pole yako. Kwa kweli ulikuwa wakati wa STRESS ya kutosha kwangu. Monseur Pundit, nashukuru kwa insight uliyonipa; sasa kama ushurikiano umefikia hapo, kwa nini huyu jamaa wa U-Rundi Immigration alinivuruga namna ile!!?? Huyu jamaa ustaarabu ni nchi ya kigeni kwake!

Jamaa wanatekeleza mwongozo wa serikali hawana kosa. Kama unaona ulinyimwa haki yako...waulize wabunge wako wanaovuta allowance za bure Arusha. To me the whole thing of East African Community is just a hoax! haina benefit kwa common man...Na hawa viongozi wanalijua hili.....Ila wanatudanganya tuu!

Jamaa wanatekeleza mwongozo wa serikali hawana kosa. Kama unaona ulinyimwa haki yako...waulize wabunge wako wanaovuta allowance za bure Arusha. To me the whole thing of East African Community is just a hoax! haina benefit kwa common man...Na hawa viongozi wanalijua hili.....Ila wanatudanganya tuu!

Masanja unajuaje kama jamaa wanatekeleza mwongozo wa serikali? Unajuaje kama jamaa hana kitabu cha risiti feki na anatia ndani hizi fees?

Serikali kama alivyosema katibu mkuu hpo juu ni signatory wa Community na ni lazima i abide na immigration rules za community, au siyo?

The Secretary General cited the requirements of Business Visa, temporary visa and import duties and declaration fees on various products, as among the requirements that have been removed or eased and whose continued enforcement by some officers at the border posts in the Partner States was causing frustrations to the business community, hindering cross-border trade and movement and drawing back the regional integration and development process.

Masanja unajuaje kama jamaa wanatekeleza mwongozo wa serikali? Unajuaje kama jamaa hana kitabu cha risiti feki na anatia ndani hizi fees?

Serikali kama alivyosema katibu mkuu hpo juu ni signatory wa Community na ni lazima i abide na immigration rules za community, au siyo?

Pundit I used to think like you, lakini bada ya kusoma na kwenda mbele..niligundua kwamba international treaties/obligations are implemented by state parties when it suits their domestic interests/politics. Na this is not only for thirdworlders..but also by the big powers.... You surely know this..dont you? So to me Burundi haijafanya kitu cha ajabu..I have personally complained bitterly on this so called visa requirement within EAC..but when I came back to my senses..I got the answer...Ngoja tuhangaike na yale tunayoweza kuyainfluence na kutusaidia katika kipindi hiki....hzi international obligations..ni political statements tuu za wanasiasa wakiwa wanapata coffee, kwa sababuna wao hawayaamini hayo hayo wanayoyasaini, its just a minimalist approach.........Its so frustrating buddy!

Naona mnayolalamikia ni ya kweli kabisa. Maana mwaka jana mwishoni nilikwenda kuchukua wanangu wawili waliokuwa wanasoma uganda na yule ofisa wa immigration pale Mtukula alikuwa very rude kama alivyopatikana ndugu yetu resi.
Unajua tulifokeana sana na nikajaribu kumueleza kwamba hii sasa ni EAC na majibu yake yalikuwa very frustrating. Alifika mahali pa kuniambia kwamba next time nisiwapeleke watoto wangu shule kule bali niwatafutie shule Tanzania.
Nilimwambia plainly kwamba asinitishe maana hata sisi Tanzania tuna shule nyingi na kwa kupeleka wanangu kule ni kama kuwapa uwezo wa kiuchumi wao. Na nikamwambia sintawapeleka tena huko na kama kawa sikuwapeleka tena bali nimewatafutia shule hapa hapa Tz na wanaendelea vizuri. Lakini nikahisi these people are some how hopeless, maana kama alidhani amenikomoa mimi kumbe alikuwa anajikomoa na kukomoa mapato ya nchi yake.
Wana usumbufu kiasi kwamba ukiangalia unajiuliza hivi hiyo wanaita ushirikiano wa afrika mashariki ni mdudu gani.
Pole sana resi hayo ndiyo yanayowasibu wote.

Mimi kila mara nimekuwa na wazo kuwa Hakuna haja ya lile wazo la kuwa na Rais mmoja wa Est Africa. It is hopeless na kuwa na fikra kama hizo iwapo serikali zetu hazitakuwa na uwazi. Kuna haja gani ya kuunda Jumuia wakati wanachi wanabaguliwa na uhamiaji? Serikari zetu ziwe wazi sio kupoteza mapesa kwa vikao visivyo na matumaini. Poleni ndugu zangu yaliyowasibu na idara za uhamiaji eti za Est Africa.

Inawezekana hayo mambo ya kuingia nchi za watu bure yanafanyika unapoingi Tanganyika tu,hamna habari hii ni nyumba ya bibi? Mmesahau juzi hapa kwenda hapo visiwani ilikuwa ni kwa passport? Mikataba mibovu mpaka lini?

Moja ya kanuni iliyo katikati ya mambo ya uhusiano wa kimataifa ni
reciprocity, kwa maana ya kwamba nchi zihusiane kwa mlingano, kama kuna visa kwa warundi kuja Tanzania kuwe na visa kwa Watanzania kwenda Burundi, na hata fees ziwiane ikibidi.

Ndiyo maana siamini kama ni serikali ya Burundi inafanya hivi.HHususan kwa sababu Rwanda and Burundi need the EAC more than the EAC need Rwanda and Burundi.

Kama serikali ina endorse au ku direct hili, hii ni gross violation katika regional relations.

Well said, Pundit. Rwanda & Burundi need US more than WE need them. Wako landlocked, for God's sake!! Hii jeuri ya kuwa rude kwetu sisi wanaitoa wapi. Wanasoma shule zetu, wanatumia barabara zetu, bandari zetu, airports zetu!! Halafu wanakuwa na jeuri namna hii. Is there no way we can get some Tz gevernment official to clarify this issue: SHOULD WE PAY ENTRY VISA IN RWANDA & BURUNDI?

You are forgetting that you are crossing from the DRC to Burundi. This will not make you east African in the real sense of the world. What east African community is saying is the fact of transit from one east African country to another and DRC isn't east Africa.

You are forgetting that you are crossing from the DRC to Burundi. This will not make you east African in the real sense of the world. What east African community is saying is the fact of transit from one east African country to another and DRC isn't east Africa.

Haka kamchezo bado kapo hata pale NAMANGA na SIRARI. Mkifika pale kwa BUS kondakta anakusanya kati ya shs elfu 5 hadi 7 na hampewi risiti ya aina yoyote! Hayo nimeyashuhudia wiki mbili zilizopita.

Nimepita sana Namanga, na sijawahi kuchajiwa hela yoyote ile. Labda we mwenzetu unaibiwa. hebu tueleze vizuri, hao makonda ni wakenya nini? manake wakenya kwa mambo ya chinichini hivyo na rushwarusha ni kiboko. Nimeombwa sana pesa na wala sio rushwa na askari wa kenya, hadi nilikuwa naogopa wasije wakaniwekea bange waseme ni yangu. huwezi amini, ukiongea tu wakaona kiswahili chako ni cha tz, wanaomba hela..hivihivi wakati hawajafanya kazi yoyote....naomba nyie mnaoenda huko, ongeeni tu kiingereza wasijue kama mmetoka tz. these are the kind of people we want to be one in EAC. Mungu saidia wasituambukize.

Haya yanatukumba sana Watanzania wa kawaida ambao hatuna PASSPORT na tunataka kwenda Musoma, Mwanza au Bukoba kwa kutumia mabasi ya SPIDER, TAWFIQ,...,. Hakuna risiti unayopewa baada kutoa pesa hiyo.

Moja ya kanuni iliyo katikati ya mambo ya uhusiano wa kimataifa ni
reciprocity, kwa maana ya kwamba nchi zihusiane kwa mlingano, kama kuna visa kwa warundi kuja Tanzania kuwe na visa kwa Watanzania kwenda Burundi, na hata fees ziwiane ikibidi

Ndiyo maana siamini kama ni serikali ya Burundi inafanya hivi.HHususan kwa sababu Rwanda and Burundi need the EAC more than the EAC need Rwanda and Burundi.

Kama serikali ina endorse au ku direct hili, hii ni gross violation katika regional relations.

Sure Pundit, but consider this.....Hivi hiyo reciprocity unayoongelea unaongelea kitu gani hapa? An American Citizen akija Tanzania..anapewa viza akiwa pale airport yetu ya Dar! muulize Mtanzania what it takes kupata hiyo visa ya USA! Raia wa Uingereza au Germany (kifupi, raia wa dunia ya kwanza)..wanaangia nchini mwetu kama wanavyoingia sokoni....sisi kwenda kwao...ni mpaka uamke saa tisa usiku ukapange foleni..na hapo hata uhakika wa kuipata hiyo viza huna..and now Honoroble Pundit is talking of RECIPROCITY! Nachoka mkuu! (surely a European going to US, can enjoy reciprocity and V/V) NOT YOU AND ME WAMATUMBI MY FRIEND....

Nilishasema, before... hizi international treaties ni kwa wakubwa tuu! Masikini hana uchaguzi! We cant chose. Achana na hizo siasa za international relation! tumesoma na kuyaona..reality is different!Hata SA wanataka kuwekeana free movt na TZ, but guess what..tunaambiwa ni kwa viongozi wa serikali tuu..sisi wananchi hatumo kwenye plan..and here we talk of reciprocity? au utupe definition ya hilo neno..I might be missing something!

And who told you that Rwanda or Burundi needs US/EAC more than we do? I respectfully disagree...sisi tuna nini ambacho wao hawana? tuachane na hizi stereotype...oohh Tanzania is rich..sijui ni giant/.ukweli ni kwamba Tanzanians we are very poor! Habari ndiyo hiyoooo kama ulikuwa hujui!!! Infact nchi kama Burundi na Rwanda na majanga yao yote..in some aspects they are doing better than us. tuache kujidanganya hapa. Wewe sema..we all need each other, equally! Ni yale yale ya Ufaransa alifikiri akimnyanyasa Rwanda..basi Rwanda itaathirika..guess what..hata balozi wa Ufaransa Rwanda alifukuzwa na ofisi zao zikafungwa! Kwani Leo Rwanda iko wapi? doing much much better than what France thought!

Sure Pundit, but consider this.....Hivi hiyo reciprocity unayoongelea unaongelea kitu gani hapa? An American Citizen akija Tanzania..anapewa viza akiwa pale airport yetu ya Dar! muulize Mtanzania what it takes kupata hiyo visa ya USA! Raia wa Uingereza au Germany (kifupi, raia wa dunia ya kwanza)..wanaangia nchini mwetu kama wanavyoingia sokoni....sisi kwenda kwao...ni mpaka uamke saa tisa usiku ukapange foleni..na hapo hata uhakika wa kuipata hiyo viza huna..and now Honoroble Pundit is talking of RECIPROCITY! Nachoka mkuu! (surely a European going to US, can enjoy reciprocity and V/V) NOT YOU AND ME WAMATUMBI MY FRIEND....

Nilishasema, before... hizi international treaties ni kwa wakubwa tuu! Masikini hana uchaguzi! We cant chose. Achana na hizo siasa za international relation! tumesoma na kuyaona..reality is different!Hata SA wanataka kuwekeana free movt na TZ, but guess what..tunaambiwa ni kwa viongozi wa serikali tuu..sisi wananchi hatumo kwenye plan..and here we talk of reciprocity? au utupe definition ya hilo neno..I might be missing something!!

Mimi naongelea principles na treaties zilizopo, hence what we are entitled to.Sasa kama Wamarekani wanataka kuja Tanzania na kuchukulia Visa Uwanja wa Ndege na sisi tunakubali kwa sababu tunahitaji dola zao za utalii hicho ni kitu kingine.Lakini ukienda kuuliza State department "Mimi Mmarekani nataka kwenda Tanzania" hawakwambii "wewe nenda tu utachukua visa uwanja wa ndege Dar" wanakwambia ongea na ubalozi wa Tanzania Marekani ushughulikie visa yako, na majority ya Wamarekani ndivyo wanavyokuja, hao wanaochukulia visa Dar ni minority kama sio the exception.

Kwa hiyo huwezi kusema reciprocity haipo in principle, ila kama ulivyosema, kutokana na state of economic affairs nchi masikini zinakosa kibesi cha ku-implement hiyo reciprocity vilivyo.Kwa hiyo let's get our own economic house in order then issues of sovereignty and reciprocity zitaji sort out zenyewe.huwezi kumlaumu mkubwa kila kitu wakati wewe mwenyewe unaweka jokers Ikulu.

On top of all, sielewi relevance ya inequity ya reciprocity ya Tanzania na Marekani katika swala la EAC na Rwanda na Burundi.If I may be so liberal in accommodating this point, it proves to be self defeatist kwa sababu kama regional powers, Tanzania na Kenya should have the upper hand in this reciprocity business (from a purely economic and sociopolitical standpoint, not a hypothetical purely Foreign Relation standpoint).This should make the case of a Tanzanian being abused even the more outrageous.

And who told you that Rwanda or Burundi needs US/EAC more than we do? I respectfully disagree...sisi tuna nini ambacho wao hawana? tuachane na hizi stereotype...oohh Tanzania is rich..sijui ni giant/.ukweli ni kwamba Tanzanians we are very poor! Habari ndiyo hiyoooo kama ulikuwa hujui!!! Infact nchi kama Burundi na Rwanda na majanga yao yote..in some aspects they are doing better than us. tuache kujidanganya hapa. Wewe sema..we all need each other, equally! Ni yale yale ya Ufaransa alifikiri akimnyanyasa Rwanda..basi Rwanda itaathirika..guess what..hata balozi wa Ufaransa Rwanda alifukuzwa na ofisi zao zikafungwa! Kwani Leo Rwanda iko wapi? doing much much better than what France thought!

Cmon now, Rwanda and Burundi are landlocked mountainous countries with meager resources, a small market for their industry, political and military instability and a host of other issues that would make it more desirable for them to be a part of EAC.

Rwanda/ Burundi needs Tanzania and Kenya more than Tanzania and Kenya in terms of port access.

Rwanda/ Burundi's political problems are largely rooted in access to land and natural resources .There is more land and natural resources in the rest of the EAC, should the ease on movement restrictions be fully and unreservedly implemented.To illustrate this, many regions of Tanzania e.g Tabora and Lindi, are individually bigger than Rwanda and Burundi combined. Full implementation of ease of movement and labor laws has the potential of easing the pressure on population density in Rwanda Burundi, to the horror of many a Tanzanian.Tanzania does not need Rwanda/ Burundi as the converse in this aspect.

Rwanda / Burundi's unrestricted market will be greatly increased by joining the EAC.Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda may gain in market from Rwanda / Burundi, but from the size of the countries, populations and economies you can plainly see that there is no balance.The rest of the EAC outnumbers and outweight Rwanda / Burundi by far.

Politicaly and militarily Tanzania and to some extent Uganda commands a lot of regional influence.You surely cannot compare the influence of Rwanda / Burundi, especially with the still not exactly contained situation in the Kivus where The Economist reports "daily clashes still occur between Tutsi insurgents, local Congolese militias and the Congolese army. More than 500,000 refugees who fled the fighting last year are still afraid to return home, with good reason."

If you carefully consider these few factors among many others, you will see why Rwanda and Burundi need the EAC more than the EAC need these two countries.

Hi RESI

I experienced the same thing when i travelled Burundi i February this year, i had business tour to several countries in East Africa, I was so suprised to see one region with the same policy of entry act differently, i did not have to pay for the entry visa in Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda but when i reached Burundi border i was required to pay 20usd, i urgued with the officer concerned but what he replied to me i was astonished, he said They had not receive any directive from their government and they were doing it because if Burundian were charged the same if want to enter Tanzanian so unless Tanzania stop charging entry fee to Burundi people then they will consider to abolish those charge, and when i was exiting Burundi the officer asked me for the entry receipt of USD20 to verify if i paid
Therefore maybe there is serious problem of east african country policy implementation particular between Burundi and Tanzania and am not sure if the concerned body do immediate follow up to whether the policy or agreement are effectively implemented and remove disturbance to east africans cross border travellers and businessmen.

Hi RESI

I experienced the same thing when i travelled Burundi i February this year, i had business tour to several countries in East Africa, I was so suprised to see one region with the same policy of entry act differently, i did not have to pay for the entry visa in Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda but when i reached Burundi border i was required to pay 20usd, i urgued with the officer concerned but what he replied to me i was astonished, he said They had not receive any directive from their government and they were doing it because if Burundian were charged the same if want to enter Tanzanian so unless Tanzania stop charging entry fee to Burundi people then they will consider to abolish those charge, and when i was exiting Burundi the officer asked me for the entry receipt of USD20 to verify if i paid
Therefore maybe there is serious problem of east african country policy implementation particular between Burundi and Tanzania and am not sure if the concerned body do immediate follow up to whether the policy or agreement are effectively implemented and remove disturbance to east africans cross border travellers and businessmen.

There goes your reciprocity, so it seems we are also still charging them.

Is this a bilateral issue between Tanzania and Burundi? Are Kenyans and Ugandans subjected to the same fee?