Is the Dawn of Two-Party System Here?

Mzuvendi

JF-Expert Member
Apr 28, 2009
From the beginning of multiparty system, majority of Tanzanian intellectuals and political analysts favor a two-party system, a political model predominant in the US and the UK. This political idea has not materialized in Tanzania. For example, in the past elections, prior to October 31, 2010, opposition parties, especially in mainland, failed miserably to mount serious challenges that would have tilted the balance of power and changed the political landscape. Now that CHADEMA has multiplied its political capital, and CUF has retained its position, should we start believing that a two-Party system is in the making?

A two-party system in the US didn’t come from outer space. It took Americans several election cycles and generations to come up with their current model. However, we should not take that as an excuse. This is because, when Americans started their political experiments, there was no country on the earth that could be perfectly used as a democratic template for a new republic. Even Greece, the home of democracy, was under Ottoman colonial rule.

We, on the other hand, don’t need to reinvent the wheel. We know the importance of democracy, check and balance, and constitutional rights. So our path to true political pluralism shouldn’t be bumpy and our political experiments should not take that long. I know there are some people out there that could say “Rome was not built in one day”. Please spare that analogy for other things.

A two-party system in Tanzania is a real possibility. As a matter of fact, in Zanzibar the system has already been there. But what we need to do now is to make sure that the concept doesn’t stop there, or where CHADEMA won convincingly in this year general election. It is not an easy job, but it can be done once we know what to overcome.

It is certainly true that opposition camp must overcome constitutional arrangements and resource allocation which favor the ruling party. However, those are not excuses for those who desire changes. In every election in Zanzibar, CUF has challenged CCM to the wire through commitments. I this year general elections, CHADEMA didn’t disappoint me with their commitment and enthusiasm. Therefore, one could argue that it’s lack of commitments from opposition supporters in Mainland that gave the ruling party the competitive edge in previous elections

Moreover, the structures of many opposition parties in Tanzania follow that of CCM. This alone amplifies the problem. If republican or democrat party in the US adapts CCM’s structure, the pluralism in America would disappear instantly and be replaced by ideological dictatorship. Republican and democrat parties are umbrellas of many interest groups. To keep the interests of these disjoint groups together, party rules are very inclusive and not so tight. It’s easy to get in and easy to get out.

Therefore, taking into account what I have mentioned above, I believe both CHADEMA and CUF need to re-examine their organizational structures, and also find a solid political platform that could unite opposition camps. One area which they could find common grounds is the allocation of resources and revenues.

For example, senior members of CUF have said that oil revenues from Zanzibar should remain in Zanzibar. I guess it time for mainlanders to have opposition parties that address the same issue. I grew in Mwanza and Mara regions and it pains me when revenues from these regions are squandered by irresponsible government officials.

Likewise, Mtwara and Lindi have gas. Let them use gas for their own development. Mbeya, Ruvuma, Iringa, Sumbawanga are agricultural power house. Let them feed the country.

CCM has taken a federalist approach. It takes money from all over the country and then distributes the wealth. This approach has increased corruption in massive scale, and has not helped the country. So it’s time for CHADEMA and CUF take a regional approach which will ensure that revenues stay where they come from.

Yaani hiyo two party system inavyoelezewa utafikiri ni system moja ya kutafutwa sana, wakati huko Marekani wanatafuta a third party usawa huu kutokana na gridlock ya two parties.

Yaani hiyo two party system inavyoelezewa utafikiri ni system moja ya kutafutwa sana, wakati huko Marekani wanatafuta a third party usawa huu kutokana na gridlock ya two parties.

In the US the idea of a third party has been around for over 100 years. It's not a new idea. Mara nyingi inakuja pale some members of one of the two political parties feel that their leaders are out of touch. For examples:

Teddy Roosevelt: Alianzisha Progressive ("Bull Moose") Party of 1912, baada ya kumuona aliyemwachia madaraka anafuata vitu vingine.
Ross Perot : Alianzisha Reform Party 1995
(Angry white men): The Tea Party

Third party ni sawa na Nyota Nyekundu au Pan Africa.

I think its just another step mkuu... i would go for 2-party sasa... it a better mode for Tizii

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom