Investigation: How much of 'Total Social Time' is actually engaged in real production?

Entrepreneur

JF-Expert Member
Jun 26, 2011
It is estimated that, more than a half of the total population in this country are gainfully occupied. But let us ask ourself how many of these are Actual Producers in agriculture, mining, construction and industry? I do mean actual producers, not people who tell other people what to do or account for the past, or plan for the future, or distribute what other people have produced.

And on average each actual producer support how many people (who are gainfully employed or not gainfully employed) beside him? Majibu ya maswali haya, yatatoa sababu halisi ya kwa nini uchumi wetu haukui kwa kasi

E.F. Schumacher in his book Small is Beautiful when tried to illustrate the extent to which modern technology has taken over the work of human hands, he said "a fully employed person, allowing for holidays, sickness and other absence, spends about one-fifth of his total time on his job". It follows that the propotion of total social time spent on actual production in the narrow sense which he used was roughly 3.5% (by taking one-fifth { total time spent on job}, of one-third {actual producer} of one-half {people who are gainfully employed}).

He added, the other 96.5% of total social time is spent in other ways, including sleeping, eating, watching tv, doing jobs that are not directly productive or just killing time more or less humanely.

Kwetu kama Taifa hali ikoje? Je wewe binafsi unatumiaje muda wako (24 hours a day) katika uzalishaji halisi? Naomba kuwasilisha

It has been my fear for some time that what I see around me are service providers and no actual producers. Who is going to pay for these Services?

Binafsi muda mwingi nafanya 'multitasking' could be working on difficult programming problem,hapo hapo,nasikiza background music,hapo hapo natazama aljazeera on telly,hapo hapo na switch screen kutizama JFpages, na hapo hapo napata kikombe cha kahawa. Hence to determine the actual time spent working is a computational 'nightmare ' at least in my case.

Ni kweli mkuu kwa case yako, but you might be working for gain my friend, Simplemind. Im afraid none of those ni Actual Production

Productivity for most of us is an issue. Ndo maana kazi ya dakika 30 tunaweza kuhangaika nayo hata kwa wiki nzima. Mfano wa wazi uko kwenye maofisi ya umma na hata ya binafsi. Tunafanya kazi zetu mara nyingi kwa mfumo wa mazoea zoea.

Mkuu Ndahani, uliyoyasema ni ya kweli tupu. Lakini tatizo ni kwamba, hao wengi kwenye ofisi za UMMA na BINAFSI ni watoa huduma tu

You seem to suggest uchumi wetu haukui kwa kasi cause a minute proportion of total social time is allocated to real production the rest spent 'fooling around'. In my opinion what really counts is the total production per unit time. With proper choice of system of production and provision of right tools, productivity is boosted hence we can afford to spend less time working and fool around even more yet register economic growth.

Back
Top Bottom