Infrastructure development in East Africa: a Reality Check

This is great news for EAC, lets fasten our belts and forge forth aggressively. Even if we don't unite but prosper separately and end the spate of poverty that has been the norm.

so to you UC pipeline from Mtwara to Dar and power producing generators is not and an infrastructure project?

Mtwara-Dar gas pipeline commissioning 2014
The 542-km gas pipeline from Mtwara to Dar es Salaam and the 150MW gas fired power plant at Kinyerezi 1 will be commissioned in December, next year as scheduled.

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Energy and Minerals, Mr Eliakim Maswi

Execution of the mega projects will go a long way towards boosting power generation and solve electricity shortages, according to the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Energy and Minerals, Mr Eliakim Maswi.

"Not only will the projects ease shortages but they will also help the country to save money it has been spending to operate costly diesel-fired power plants," Mr Maswi said over the weekend.

The government has in the past been pumping between 900bn/- and 1.2tri/- annually to the Tanzania Electric Supply Company (Tanesco) to purchase oil to run power plants at Tegeta and Ubungo.

The PS made a three-day tour along the pipeline's route together with representatives of development partners, including the World Bank, African Development Bank (AfDB) and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

"At present, natural gas accounts for between 40-45 per cent of power generation in the country but the rate will increase to about 80 per cent when the projects are completed," Tanesco's Managing Director Felchesmi Mramba said.

Through a loan of 1.9tri/- from Exim Bank of China, Tanzania is implementing the mega pipeline project that will also include construction of gas processing plants at Madimba in Mtwara and Songo Songo Island in Lindi. It will also include two power plants at Kinyerezi with capacities of generating 150MW and 240MW, respectively.

"The Kinyerezi 1 will be completed by August, next year while Kinyerezi 2 will be completed in one and half years," Mr Maswi said.

The processing plant at Madimba will have a capacity to process 200 million standard cubic feet (mscf) and it will have provisions which would allow the capacity be upgraded to 600 mscf while the pipeline will have a capacity to transport 780 mscf per day.

An existing 16-inch natural gas pipeline from Songo Songo to Dar es Salaam, which is owned by Pan African Energy has been facing capacity constraints amid growing energy demand in the country.

The new pipeline will include 36-inch pipes in a distance of 512km on land as well as 30km of 24-inch concretecoated pipe to run through the Indian Ocean from Songo songo Island to Somanga area in Lindi region.

"As we speak, 142-km long pipes have been joined through wielding and we expect to finish laying the pipeline by July next year," the Project Quality Manager, Mr Pieter Erasmus, said.

http://dailynews.co.tz/index.php/local-news/24568-gas-pipeline-commissioning-2014

so to you UC pipeline from Mtwara to Dar and power producing generators is not and an infrastructure project?

Mtwara-Dar gas pipeline commissioning 2014
The 542-km gas pipeline from Mtwara to Dar es Salaam and the 150MW gas fired power plant at Kinyerezi 1 will be commissioned in December, next year as scheduled.

Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Energy and Minerals, Mr Eliakim Maswi

Execution of the mega projects will go a long way towards boosting power generation and solve electricity shortages, according to the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Energy and Minerals, Mr Eliakim Maswi.

"Not only will the projects ease shortages but they will also help the country to save money it has been spending to operate costly diesel-fired power plants," Mr Maswi said over the weekend.

The government has in the past been pumping between 900bn/- and 1.2tri/- annually to the Tanzania Electric Supply Company (Tanesco) to purchase oil to run power plants at Tegeta and Ubungo.

The PS made a three-day tour along the pipeline's route together with representatives of development partners, including the World Bank, African Development Bank (AfDB) and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

"At present, natural gas accounts for between 40-45 per cent of power generation in the country but the rate will increase to about 80 per cent when the projects are completed," Tanesco's Managing Director Felchesmi Mramba said.

Through a loan of 1.9tri/- from Exim Bank of China, Tanzania is implementing the mega pipeline project that will also include construction of gas processing plants at Madimba in Mtwara and Songo Songo Island in Lindi. It will also include two power plants at Kinyerezi with capacities of generating 150MW and 240MW, respectively.

"The Kinyerezi 1 will be completed by August, next year while Kinyerezi 2 will be completed in one and half years," Mr Maswi said.

The processing plant at Madimba will have a capacity to process 200 million standard cubic feet (mscf) and it will have provisions which would allow the capacity be upgraded to 600 mscf while the pipeline will have a capacity to transport 780 mscf per day.

An existing 16-inch natural gas pipeline from Songo Songo to Dar es Salaam, which is owned by Pan African Energy has been facing capacity constraints amid growing energy demand in the country.

The new pipeline will include 36-inch pipes in a distance of 512km on land as well as 30km of 24-inch concretecoated pipe to run through the Indian Ocean from Songo songo Island to Somanga area in Lindi region.

"As we speak, 142-km long pipes have been joined through wielding and we expect to finish laying the pipeline by July next year," the Project Quality Manager, Mr Pieter Erasmus, said.

http://dailynews.co.tz/index.php/local-news/24568-gas-pipeline-commissioning-2014

Thanks for this input. It is a nice piece and I would have included it in my report, if I stumbled on it during the research. Either It was published after my research date or TANESCO did not have it on the web page at the time of the research. Please tell me this; how much is TZS 1.9 trillion in terms of US dollars?

Thanks for this input. It is a nice piece and I would have included it in my report, if I stumbled on it during the research. Either It was published after my research date or TANESCO did not have it on the web page at the time of the research. Please tell me this; how much is TZS 1.9 trillion in terms of US dollars?
if u r a researcher, then u can make use of internet to get the conversion

around 1.2billion us dollars

why shame on me? everything is in global media! Otherwise u r using Kenyan media as ur only source! Make use of global sources like bloomberg! And DART project?[/QUOTE I asked you to tell me how much is TZS 1.9 tr in US dollars. You did not. Instead You refused to answer or is it because you are not numerate?

why shame on me? everything is in global media! Otherwise u r using Kenyan media as ur only source! Make use of global sources like bloomberg! And DART project?[/QUOTE I asked you to tell me how much is TZS 1.9 tr in US dollars. You did not. Instead You refused to answer or is it because you are not numerate?
i just gave u links if u click the reply above u will see the 524 km pipeline worthy US$1.2 billion

BTW before you wrote this report East Africa Economic Report: EA Central Corridor: Time to invest is now, did you try to inspect the central corridor to see whether is unpaved as you claimed? Or you just vomit ur bigotry? Just to assure u this corridor is 99% paved (tarmacked) and restoration of the railway is being carried on everyday basis! As a matter of fact the railway from Dar to Kigoma functions better than Mombasa to Kampala!

BTW before you wrote this report East Africa Economic Report: EA Central Corridor: Time to invest is now, did you try to inspect the central corridor to see whether is unpaved as you claimed? Or you just vomit ur bigotry? Just to assure u this corridor is 99% tarmacked and restoration of the railway is being carried on everyday! BTW the railway from Dar to Kigoma function better than Mombasa to Kampala!
Could it be you're some overgrown kid or what, can't you handle debate maturely without kiddish comparisons about your father being better than Rambo. EA is growing drastically, but we also need to change our kindergarten attitude.

Could it be you're some overgrown kid or what, can't you handle debate maturely without kiddish comparisons about your father being better than Rambo. EA is growing drastically, but we also need to change our kindergarten attitude.
who is kindergarten here? one that tells lies on a report or one that corrects the misinformation?

Back
Top Bottom