I will retire after 75, says Museveni

ByaseL

JF-Expert Member
Nov 22, 2007
Gerald Bareebe
Kampala

Twenty three years after coming to power, President Museveni says he is strong enough to carry on for another 10 years. Mr Museveni, for whom Parliament removed the two-term limit on the presidency out of the Constitution to allow him stand again in the 2006 election, said he has no plans of further amending the Constitution to lift the age-limit of 75 years.

Mr Museveni, who turns 65 in September, was asked during a Sunday night television talk show whether he would keep running for President until he is 75 years old. “No, but at 75 the constitution does not allow you,” said the President. Pressed further on whether he will campaign to remove the age limit just like he did for the term limits, Mr Museveni said: “No; that one I will not allow.”

President Museveni has been in power longer than all Uganda’s former heads of state since Independence in 1962 put together. He shot his way to power in 1986 and stood for elections in 1996, 2001 and 2006 – the last two were marred by widespread electoral malpractices.

While supporters say he has stabilised the country after years of political instability and presided over consistent economic growth, critics say his refusal to allow for a peaceful transition from one elected leader to another is a risk to the country’s long-term stability and development.
The ruling National Resistance Movement is already plotting to field Mr Museveni for the 2011 election and his comments suggest that he could offer himself for the job in 2016 by which point he would have been in charge of the country for three decades.

“I will retire if there are no demands,” Mr Museveni said. “I am going to be 65 in September but I am still very strong. I would like to advise young people that if you look after yourself very well you can be strong for quite a long time. For us we don’t look at this as power; we look at it as struggle.”

He said it was up to the NRM to decide on whether to front him as its flag bearer in 2011 and 2016 elections.

Ms Salaam Musumba, the deputy president of the opposition Forum for Democratic Change, said Mr Museveni should have retired long ago because he is now very unproductive and “behaves like a shadow” which keeps changing direction.

That is tyranny! Mr. Museveni, you should respect 'Dotage'- weakness of mind due to old age! Millions of Ugandans are capable in Leadership and Management.Handle-over the presidency to young and new blood generation with future promising vision and mission, Mzee! Using'ang'anie!

Hili ni tatizo kwa viongozi wa afrika,Mu7 umaarufu wake unapungua kwa wananchi wa uganda,na kwa kung'ang'ania kukaa madarakani pamoja na mazuri aliyofanya kwa taifa la uganda si jambo jema.Kutoweka mfumo mzuri wa kupata viongozi wazuri baada yake si jambo jema.Akidondoka muda wowote itapelekea hali ya utulivu kutokuwepo tena katika Taifa hilo.Japokuwa kwetu Tanzania bado dola inaongozwa na CCM lakini utaratibu wa mtu kuongoza nchi kwa vipindi viwili na kuachia mwingine ni jambo la kujivunia na linalofaa kuigwa na mataifa mengine.

At one time mwandishi mmoja alisema kuwa viongozi wa Afrika ni sharti waondoke kwa mtut wa bunduki... nadhani hicho ndio kinachosubiriwa UG. Angekuwa na hadhi zaidi angeteremka madarakani bila kuvunja katiba ya nchi.

waafrica wote ndivyo walivyo. wakishafanya maovu mengi wakati wa utawala wao wanaogopa kuondoka ili wasishitakiwe. akiona anakaribia miaka sabini na tano atabadilisha age limit ili aendelee kuwa rais wa maisha

Ndiyo maana tumshikuru Mungu kwa Nyerere. Say want you want about the late "Baba wa taifa" but he set a good precedent. isingekua yeye kumstaafu kwa hiari hata Tanzania tungekua na viongozi wanao ng'ang'ania uongozi kama Yoweri Museveni. Na Uganda wasipo angali hata huyo atakae kuja kuchukua nafasi ya Museveni atakua hivyo hivyo.

Back
Top Bottom