I want to start importing into Tanzania from UK

Dec 20, 2010
Habari

I have been thinking about starting a business importing goods into Tanzania from UK. So far I have thought about used cars/laptop. I would like some views on this from people in TZ i.e would you use this service, what would you look to buy etc. I would have to start small and typically i would only buy and send 1/2 items at a time. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Hi, this is a tough business you are planning to do. You need to have the right contacts and people at TRA and at the port. I would advise you to think of house projects instead.

Hi, this is a tough business you are planning to do. You need to have the right contacts and people at TRA and at the port. I would advise you to think of house projects instead.

Cronique, thanks for replying. I was thinking that it would be up to the customer to deal with the TRA/port authorities. I can't really do houses because I am in the UK and I would need to be physically there to oversee everything which I can't.

TanzaniaHorizon, I understand you, i am in Copenhagen. I always wanted to invest back home. I have tried fishing nile pearch (sangara) business in Bukoba. I have had a club and a restaurant in Mwanza. I have had a clearing and forwarding firm. All these went ok but did not progress much since I wasnt around myself. Utapeli mwingi, wafanya kazi wanaiba, watu wavivu, hawana uchungu na mali za watu. I sold everything and concentrated in housing, now I am building my second house.
Back to your business. Kwa sababu ya usumbufu wa TRA na ports, not most people are interested kutumiwa vitu then they have to struggle getting them out, at the end of the day they end up using a lot of cash in bribing. they would rather
buy from people who already have cleared everything for them. So if u want, you either go all the way or nothing.
Apart from, just the people you are going to sell, ni wasumbufu and you might not end up getting your money. Ask yourself 2 questions:
Would you send your products to TZ to someone who has not paid money yet? Not easily, because 50% of the time you will never see your money
Question 2 - would someone in TZ send you money before he has the items in his hands? I doubt.
Can you see where I am? I am not trying to discourage you, but i want you to see facts before you act. Sorry if I stepped your toes. Just a friendly advise.

• Thanks
Reactions: LAT
TanzaniaHorizon, I understand you, i am in Copenhagen. I always wanted to invest back home. I have tried fishing nile pearch (sangara) business in Bukoba. I have had a club and a restaurant in Mwanza. I have had a clearing and forwarding firm. All these went ok but did not progress much since I wasnt around myself. Utapeli mwingi, wafanya kazi wanaiba, watu wavivu, hawana uchungu na mali za watu. I sold everything and concentrated in housing, now I am building my second house.
Back to your business. Kwa sababu ya usumbufu wa TRA na ports, not most people are interested kutumiwa vitu then they have to struggle getting them out, at the end of the day they end up using a lot of cash in bribing. they would rather
buy from people who already have cleared everything for them. So if u want, you either go all the way or nothing.
Apart from, just the people you are going to sell, ni wasumbufu and you might not end up getting your money. Ask yourself 2 questions:
Would you send your products to TZ to someone who has not paid money yet? Not easily, because 50% of the time you will never see your money
Question 2 - would someone in TZ send you money before he has the items in his hands? I doubt.
Can you see where I am? I am not trying to discourage you, but i want you to see facts before you act. Sorry if I stepped your toes. Just a friendly advise.
I think you got that right I have tried similar projects in the past they just don't work. They say put your money where your mouth is so u have to be there otherwise they will rip you off

For anyone who wants to do, start business in Tanzania, I advise them to communicate with:

Business Services & Consultancy Ltd.
Business Millennium Park,
Office No. 7
Morogoro Rd.
Dar Es Salaam.

Straight forward, honest, no nonsense. If you are interested PM me for their contacts.

Tanzaniahorizon, achana kabisa na biashara ya gari moja au mbili, mimi nimewahi kuafanya hizo buz muda mrefu sana, tatizo kubwa ni kwamba magari bong ni mengi sana yanatoka kila pembe ya dunia, matokeo yake profit margin ni ndogo sana kwasababu kuna watu wanaingiza magri 50,100,200 kwa mpigo kwa kuwa wana mtaji mkubwa hiyo profit margin hata ikiwa ndogo the volume of buz they do, inatosha kujiendesha kibiashara, gari ndogo average profit ni kwenye tshs 1.5m,( lakini hawa wafanya biashara wakubwa margin yao ni tshs 600,000) if u are lucky, na muda wa kuliuza hilo gari ni miezi sita au zaidi sasa hiyo biashara inakuwa kichaa ukitilia maanani kuna gharama za kuliangalia hilo gari na ulinzi. Jaribu kutafuta laptop kwa bei poa, hizi hazina ushuru na zina wateja wa kutosha. kuwepo tz ni LAZIMA bila hivyo ITAKUALA KWAKO.

Kwa kweli hapa nyumbani tanzania wizi umezidi. Kufungua biasha si rahisi. Kitu cha kwanza kinachotukwamisha ni TRA. Kodi na Ushuru za hapa TZ hazi julikani, leo utalipia kiasi hiki ukienda next week unakutana na mtu mwingine atakupa bei nyingine. Ninachojiuliza ni kwanini serekali haiweki bei ya kueleweka ili wafanyabisha wote wajue utaratibi na bei za ushuru na kodi. Kwa mfano ukileta nguo ijulikane utalipia asilimia ngapi na manunuzi, Yaani vifaa viwekwe kwa categories, nguo, elektronics, cosmetics, magari, machines. vifaa vya ujenzi. Hapo nafikiri ingepunguza sana uwizi uliokwepo TRA.
Kitukingine na uaminifu wa watanzania. Ukimpa mpenyo kidogo tu mfanya kazi basi umesha ibiwa. Huku ulaya mzungu alioajiriwa anafanya kazi utafikiri ni he is the owner. Anajua bosi akifilisika naye hana kazi, si yeye tu anaye faidika hapo, pengine mtot wake atakuja kuajiriwa au ndugu yake. Lakini ndugu zetu hapa TZ wanakuambia Who cares

Mkuu due to the Strength of a pound; it will be very hard to sell it profitably; unless you buy them really cheaper (or in police auctions) in case of cars and i dont know how cheap you can get the laptops, unless you buy them defective and repair them hence getting them cheaply; look at this scenario:-

If your customers are university students, they might ask you for a very decent laptop (pentium 4; good brand maybe Toshiba) for 500,000/= Thats is like 250 pounds, hapo haujaweka usafiri na issue zote alafu you be hard for you to get a decent laptop in UK for that amount,

my advice look elsewhere where you are going to buy especially laptops unless you will target upmarket people. Because due to the fact that Laptop nyingi watu wananunua za wizi hence causing their price to be cheap, kwa wewe ambaye unanunua kihalali its hard to compete or get good margins, even people from UK are buying from China why not you, au you will be better of USA ambapo atleast dollar sio as expensive as pound.

Thread ya tangu mwaka jana, huyu mtu atakuwa hajaanza hiyo business kweli!

Back
Top Bottom