Vicky Nsilo Swai: I kept Mandela's boots for 33 years'

nngu007

JF-Expert Member
Aug 2, 2010
_71580789_boots4.jpg

Nelson Mandela also visited Tanzania in 1962, staying with the late minister Nsilo Swai, whose wife, Vicky Nsilo Swai, told the BBC about his left luggage:

"On the day Mandela was leaving, he had to leave behind a suitcase because he had too much luggage. In the suitcase was a pair of brown, leather boots. My husband and I ended up keeping them for 33 years.

After my husband retired from politics, we moved from Dar es Salaam to Moshi, near to Kilimanjaro - and the boots came with us.

Then, my husband got a job with the United Nations so the boots lived in New York for 15 years.

I kept them in our bedroom in a cupboard. I never polished them, I never cleaned them but I put newspaper in them to keep them firm.

The boots are very strong and the leather is excellent - and when I took them back to Mr Mandela in 1995 they were really like new.

The boots still fitted Mr Mandela and he joked that 'these boots have travelled more than myself'.

A lot of people are surprised why I kept the boots for so long. But I really wanted a man who I saw so dedicated to his country to have a memory of these boots."
"And while his intentions were good, that could

jambo hili sikulijua mpaka jana nilipo msikia huyu mama akielezea...

Huku kwetu, mshua angeendelez kuvivaa.

Mi nina mwanangu tunasoma nae yeye wa Mozambique, kipindi cha Corona akarudi kwao akaacha begi la nguo akijua mwezi mmoja tu watarudi. Hadi leo hawajaja. Wamemalizia thesis kwenye Zoom.

Nguo zake zote nishavaa. Dadeq.
Duh

Ova

Back
Top Bottom