How to make your PC Faster

Picassa243

Oct 10, 2007
Well it becomes sometimes hard to believe that I keep my system so neat and tidy and despite that on scanning my system from a website relatively unknown but quite helpful I come to know that the site has 52 recommendations for me. All of them are valid. After acting upon these recommendations I come to see the real difference in my PC. Yes I used to think differently before I came over to this website that common tools and utilities provided by Microsoft do not cater for the system well enough. So I am compiling this very valuable treasury of mine to provide you with the best I have so you can feel the change just as I did.
The website I talk about is PC Pitstop.Some of you must have gone there too. This amazing website scans your system from top to bottom providing you a report of where there are leakages in the system and what needs to be done. Yes for peak performance what you need to have is the most important question.
XP is just like an infant and if you do not care for it can become a nuisance for you to look after. A monthly check-up of the system will squeeze the most out of it to provide you with lifetime bliss and also solution to many common problems. I will now recommend a list of things with their websites you must go and check and these things are a must have on your HD. Without them the experience of running windows at top speed is incomplete.

1- Diskeeper:

This amazing utility can do a lot more than the normal windows Disk-Defragmenter. Other than defragging files and folders it also defrags the paging and the swap file. It introduces I-Fast technology to the system for faster disk performance and can also perform scheduled as well as automatic defragging in the background to keep your data arranged for quick access.

http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

2- Intel® Application Accelerator:

The Intel ® application accelerator enhances the prefetch reducing the system bottle-neck time giving you a faster boot and hence dramatically reduces the time it takes for the applications to launch. This is only designed for P4 and other specific Intel Processors it will not work on Celerons. Give it a try.

For XP Professional:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html

For XP Home:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,22740-order,1-page,1/description.html

For AMD processors:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...l?redir=COGA02

3- Online Scans:

Yes! These online scans can do the most and of course free of cost even which downloading utilities won’t do. I give you links for specific system scans that you could do:

Performance:
http://pcpitstop.com

Internet Speed:
http://pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

Background Programs:

If a virus has struck your system and disabled the task manager how will you know what’s the virus process. This link will give you an in depth summary of what is actually a virus and what is safe and what is optional. You may require IE browser for this

http://pcpitstop.com/spycheck/scan.asp

4- Drivers:

One thing I was amazed to see was the change in the performance after updating my drivers which were out of date. Drivers are constantly being updated and updating them can give you the following benefits

1 Better PC Performance

By keeping your PC hardware device drivers updated your system will run at peak performance.

2 Improved PC Stability

Stop those annoying crashes and slow downs by updating the device drivers on your computer.

http://www2.driveragent.com/?PHPSESS...l7akqmp97072l3

So go for a scan today and update your drivers.

5- Clean That Junk:

Files and junk that is unneeded gets cluttered on your hard disk without your knowledge and information and slows down your PC dramatically. It just takes some seconds for this tool to analyze and clean up the garbage and best of all its free.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

6- Clean System Restore Points:

System restore while it poses a great advantage for those users who frequently crash their PC’s it is the biggest cause of data getting fragmented and HD space. Use the default system clean-up tool to gain some space if your running out of it.

7- Clean up the Registry:

Registry is the heart of windows and contains information about what programs you have installed and what have been uninstalled. As time passes the size grows due to the presence of invalid references in it. So clean-up using this Microsoft certified Registry Cleaner

http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/

8- De-fragment your Registry:

Just as the files and folders need de-fragmentation on the disk registry keys can also get fragmented over time which results in slower program launch. Invalid references to programs that you have installed pose a great burden for this data base. Use this tool to de-fragment you r registry.

http://www.download.com/Registry-Def...-10312816.html

9- Spyware and Adware Free?

Is your system Spyware and Adware free. Do a scan today with Ad-aware Se Personal edition the best rated Adware and Spyware cleaner also have a look at the video on how to use it.

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

10- Have sufficient memory?

The Vista look on XP requires lesser RAM than Vista itself but for those interested in gaming do you have the optimal amount of RAM installed on your system or have other question about your hardware? You should visit

http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.aspx?prog=uslp_dram

11- 64Bit or 32Bit OS?

If you have a 32 bit OS and you have invested your hard earned money in a good processor with a preferably high FSB (Front Side Bus). A good memory etc.. Then to get the most out of your OS you should switch to a 64 Bit version of the OS to get more from your hardware. To check 64-Bit XP check out this link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

12- NTFS or FAT File System?

If your windows is on FAT32 then its high time you switch to an NTFS file system. Besides being quicker than FAT it has many cool features such as lesser data fragmentation and letting you access the encryption system. To check how conversion is done visit

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

13- Size of the Browser Cache:

The browser cache stores the temporary files for faster access. The browser cache size as recommended according to the Microsoft guidelines is 50-250MB. To change the browser cache size navigate to Tools---> Internet Options----> Browser History--->Settings and here adjust the cache size to the optimal or recommended value.

14- Vista Ready?

Personally speaking I am not in favor of Vista yet as it still has to become even more stable but if you want a slightly higher edge in security and graphics you should upgrade to Vista. Now there is no need to download the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor. Simply run a scan on the link provided below and see if you are ready or not.

http://pcpitstop.com/vistaready/default.asp

15-Start-up Programs:

Most malware and spyware load them in the registry to get them executed at strat-up. This hinders performance. Other than this having more than 5 programs in the start-up list will gradually lead to performance deterioration unless your PC has sufficient RAM to handle that. To see what process are running at start-up a tool from Microsoft gives an in-depth analysis of the system. Download now to check

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx

I hope that this is useful for you guys. It has been compiled with a lot of effort.

Hi Piccasa..i need some advice just wanna buy laptop from austaria..the normal laptop for office use which involve..GIS work and Database work all this all...mining work..please can you advice me or give a link where i can go and check for good laptop and specification?Or if ur in tanzania just give PM with ur cellphone number i will call you soon before 19th this month.

Thanks

1. Opt for an Intel Pentium 4 or an Intel Centrino processor. The processor forms the computing core of your laptop and is one area where you must not compromise.

Invest wisely here. The processor is the first component likely to get outdated and it is not possible to upgrade it.

2. Opt for a 256 MB DDR SDRAM. A RAM of lower memory capacity will make it difficult to run certain applications and software.

Upgrading from 256 to 512 MB DDR SDRAM could cost you between $100 and $150.

3. Choose an Active-matrix (TFT) display, preferably an LCD. The display is an active matrix if you can see the arrow while it traverses the screen. Most displays nowadays are TFTs as the Passive-matrix (dual scan) is now outdated.

TFTs are highly preferred because of their sharper images, better resolution and smoother images of motion on the screen.

Wide screen laptops are a visual treat and recommended for those interested in the movie experience. But they cost 8% to 10% more than the conventional laptops, are obviously bulkier to carry and slightly low on battery life.

4. If you travel extensively, take care that your laptop weighs under 5 pounds. If your laptop will be confined to your room, you could go in for a slightly heavier one. It will be cheaper. It will also have a few more features.

5. Check the battery life on the laptop. Insist that it is a Lithium-ion (Li+) battery (nearly all laptops will have this one). Choose batteries with a high voltage and a high mAh. Do not go for NiMH batteries, as you will have to keep charging them frequently.

6. If you have no intention of using a CD frequently, an external DVD and CDRW drives may be preferred to inbuilt ones. The main convenience being that they reduce the weight of the base piece and provide lesser complications later on.

If they are an integral part of your work, you might as well opt for an inbuilt version.

Incidentally, the prices of DVD drives are expected to fall considerably over the next one year.

Don't stress on your laptop having a floppy drive. Floppies are getting obsolete by the minute and will soon be terminated.

7. If you are on the move, buy a laptop with a spill-resistant keyboard and shock-resistant hard drives. This will ensure your hard disk does not crash and you don't lose data in the event of a minor crash or fall.

8. Ensure the laptop has two or more USB ports, as you will need them to attach your peripheral devices like printers and scanners.

You could even consider buying a pen drive to act as a reliable data transfer mode.

Choose a laptop with wireless connectivity in the form of Bluetooth and Infrared. These make data transfer very convenient and reliable and you can send data to multiple recipients at one go.

These facilities on your laptop would cost you around $30 more and are independent of any service providers.

9. Windows XP Professional is an ideal system for a laptop meant for office use. In laptops, it is very inconvenient to upgrade your operating system, so choose the latest one.

Windows is the most popular operating system, with XP Professional being the latest that supports all the software available today.

10. Some people prefer a touchpad mouse as the navigating option while others prefer the rubberised button situated between the keys G, H and B. Try working with both and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Some laptops come equipped with both. You could also consider a cordless mouse, which is half the size of the regular one.

11. Insist on an inbuilt LAN card and modem.

There are basically two types of modems on offer -- internal modems and PC card-based modems. Make sure the internal modem is fast enough for your needs. Else, opt for the PC card-based one that sticks out of your computer, but is slightly better performance wise.

12. While budgeting for your laptop, bear in mind that a cheaper machine might prove expensive if you plan to upgrade it.

Do not compromise on the processor, the RAM and the operating system.

The memory capacity (GB) can be upgraded later on, so can the CD/DVD drives.

When you are buying your laptop check on upgradation. You can upgrade your machine with or without discarding it. If you plan to change your machine within two years, don't invest too heavily on it.

Where brands are concerned, do note that the IBM laptop division has been taken over by the Chinese company, Lenova.

HP and Compaq are the same brand when it comes to laptops. The good thing about this brand is that it is in a position to provide good service simply because of an established network of service centres.

Despite all the advice you get, make it a point to test your laptop before purchasing it. Don't just take someone's word for it.

Check if you are comfortable with the interface, the keyboard, the touch pad and the display. After all, it is you who are going to be using it and paying for it

Make Your Windows Fast As Never Before!

DISABLE INDEXING SERVICES

Indexing Services is a small little program that uses large amounts of RAM and can often make a computer endlessly loud and noisy. This system process indexes and updates lists of all the files that are on your computer. It does this so that when you do a search for something on your computer, it will search faster by scanning the index lists. If you don't search your computer often, or even if you do search often, this system service is completely unnecessary. To disable do the following:

1. Go to Start
2. Click Settings
3. Click Control Panel
4. Double-click Add/Remove Programs
5. Click the Add/Remove Window Components
6. Uncheck the Indexing services
7. Click Next

OPTIMISE DISPLAY SETTINGS

Windows XP can look sexy but displaying all the visual items can waste system resources. To optimise:

1.Go to Start
2. Click Settings
3. Click Control Panel
4. Click System
5. Click Advanced tab
6. In the Performance tab click Settings
7. Leave only the following ticked:
- Show shadows under menus
- Show shadows under mouse pointer
- Show translucent selection rectangle
- Use drop shadows for icons labels on the desktop
- Use visual styles on windows and buttons

DISABLE PERFORMANCE COUNTERS

Windows XP has a performance monitor utility which monitors several areas of your PC's performance. These utilities take up system resources so disabling is a good idea.

To disable:

1. download and install the Extensible Performance Counter List
2.Then select each counter in turn in the 'Extensible performance counters' window and clear the 'performance counters enabled' checkbox at the bottom.button below.

SPEEDUP FOLDER BROWSING

You may have noticed that everytime you open my computer to browse folders that there is a slight delay. This is because Windows XP automatically searches for network files and printers everytime you open Windows Explorer. To fix this and to increase browsing significantly:

1. Open My Computer
2. Click on Tools menu
3. Click on Folder Options
4. Click on the View tab.
5. Uncheck the Automatically search for network folders and printers check box
6. Click Apply
7. Click Ok
8. Reboot your computer

IMPROVE MEMORY USAGE

Cacheman Improves the performance of your computer by optimizing the disk cache, memory and a number of other settings.

Once Installed:

1.Go to Show Wizard and select All
2.Run all the wizards by selecting Next or Finished until you are back to the main menu. Use the defaults unless you know exactly what you are doing.
3.Exit and Save Cacheman
4.Restart Windows

OPTIMISE YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION

There are lots of ways to do this but by far the easiest is to run TCP/IP Optimizer.

1. Download and install
2. Click the General Settings tab and select your Connection Speed (Kbps)
3. Click Network Adapter and choose the interface you use to connect to the Internet
4. Check Optimal Settings then Apply
5. Reboot

OPTIMISE YOUR PAGEFILE

If you give your pagefile a fixed size it saves the operating system from needing to resize the page file.

1. Right click on My Computer and select Properties
2. Select the Advanced tab
3. Under Performance choose the Settings button
4. Select the Advanced tab again and under Virtual Memory select Change
5. Highlight the drive containing your page file and make the initial Size of the file the same as the Maximum Size of the file.

Windows XP sizes the page file to about 1.5X the amount of actual physical memory by default. While this is good for systems with smaller amounts of memory (under 512MB) it is unlikely that a typical XP desktop system will ever need 1.5 X 512MB or more of virtual memory. If you have less than 512MB of memory, leave the page file at its default size. If you have 512MB or more, change the ratio to 1:1 page file size to physical memory size.

RUN BOOTVIS - IMPROVE BOOT TIMES

BootVis will significantly improve boot times

1. Download and Run
2. Select Trace
3. Select Next Boot and Driver Trace
4. A Trace Repetitions screen will appear, select Ok and Reboot
5. Upon reboot, BootVis will automatically start, analyze and log your system's boot process. When it's done, in the menu go to Trace and select Optimize System
6. Reboot.
7. When your machine has rebooted wait until you see the Optimizing System box appear. Be patient and wait for the process to complete

REMOVE THE DESKTOP PICTURE

Your desktop background consumes a fair amount of memory and can slow the loading time of your system. Removing it will improve performance.

1. Right click on Desktop and select Properties
2. Select the Desktop tab
3. In the Background window select None
4. Click Ok

REMOVE FONTS FOR SPEED

Fonts, especially TrueType fonts, use quite a bit of system resources. For optimal performance, trim your fonts down to just those that you need to use on a daily basis and fonts that applications may require.

1. Open Control Panel
2. Open Fonts folder
3. Move fonts you don't need to a temporary directory (e.g. C:\FONTBKUP?) just in case you need or want to bring a few of them back. The more fonts you uninstall, the more system resources you will gain.

DISABLE UNNECESSARY SERVICES

Because Windows XP has to be all things to all people it has many services running that take up system resources that you will never need. Below is a list of services that can be disabled on most machines:

Alerter
Clipbook
Computer Browser
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Fast User Switching
Help and Support - (If you use Windows Help and Support leave this enabled)
Human Interface Access Devices
Indexing Service
IPSEC Services
Messenger
Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing (disabled for extra security)
Portable Media Serial Number
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager (disabled for extra security)
Remote Procedure Call Locator
Remote Registry (disabled for extra security)
Remote Registry Service
Secondary Logon
Routing & Remote Access (disabled for extra security)
Server
SSDP Discovery Service - (Unplug n' Pray will disable this)
Telnet
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Upload Manager
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Windows Time
Wireless Zero Configuration (Do not disable if you use a wireless network)
Workstation
To disable these services:

Go to Start and then Run and type "services.msc"
Doubleclick on the service you want to change
Change the startup type to 'Disable"

TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE

System Restore can be a useful if your computer is having problems, however storing all the restore points can literally take up Gigabytes of space on your hard drive. To turn off System Restore:

Open Control Panel
Click on Performance and Maintenance
Click on System
Click on the System Restore tab
Tick 'Turn off System Restore on All Drives'
Click 'Ok'

DEFRAGMENT YOUR PAGEFILE

Keeping your pagefile defragmented can provide a major performance boost. One of the best ways of doing this is to creat a separate partition on your hard drive just for your page file, so that it doesn't get impacted by normal disk usage. Another way of keeping your pagefile defragmented is to run PageDefrag. This cool little app can be used to defrag your pagefile, and can also be set to defrag the pagefile everytime your PC starts. To install:

Download and Run PageDefrag
Tick "Defrag at next Reboot",
Click "Ok"
Reboot

SPEEDUP FOLDER ACCESS - DISABLE LAST ACCESS UPDATE

If you have a lot of folders and subdirectories on your computer, when you access a directory XP wastes a lot of time updating the time stamp showing the last access time for that directory and for ALL sub directories. To stop XP doing this you need to edit the registry. If you are uncomfortable doing this then please do not attempt.

Go to Start and then Run and type "regedit"
Click through the file system until you get to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\FileSystem"
Right-click in a blank area of the window on the right and select 'DWORD Value'
Create a new DWORD Value called 'NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate'
Then Right click on the new value and select 'Modify'
Change the Value Data to '1'
Click 'OK'

DISABLE SYSTEM SOUNDS

Surprisingly, the beeps that your computer makes for various system sounds can slow it down, particularly at startup and shut-down. To fix this turn off the system sounds:

Open Control Panel
Click Sounds and Audio Devices
Check Place volume icon in taskbar
Click Sounds Tab
Choose "No Sounds" for the Sound Scheme
Click "No"
Click "Apply"
Click "OK"

IMPROVE BOOT TIMES

A great new feature in m*cro$oft Windows XP is the ability to do a boot defragment. This places all boot files next to each other on the disk to allow for faster booting. By default this option in enables but on some builds it is not so below is how to turn it on.

Go to Start Menu and Click Run
Type in "Regedit" then click ok
Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\m*cro$oft\Dfrg\BootOp t imizeFunction"
Select "Enable" from the list on the right
Right on it and select "Modify"
Change the value to "Y to enable"
Reboot

IMPROVE SWAPFILE PERFORMANCE

If you have more than 256MB of RAM this tweak will considerably improve your performance. It basically makes sure that your PC uses every last drop of memory (faster than swap file) before it starts using the swap file.

Go to Start then Run
Type "msconfig.exe" then ok
Click on the System.ini tab
Expand the 386enh tab by clicking on the plus sign
Click on new then in the blank box type"ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1"
Click OK
Restart PC

MAKE YOUR MENUS LOAD FASTER

This is one of my favourite tweaks as it makes a huge difference to how fast your machine will 'feel'. What this tweak does is remove the slight delay between clicking on a menu and XP displaying the menu.

Go to Start then Run
Type 'Regedit' then click 'Ok'
Find "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\"
Select "MenuShowDelay"
Right click and select "Modify'
Reduce the number to around "100"
This is the delay time before a menu is opened. You can set it to "0" but it can make windows really hard to use as menus will open if you just look at them - well move your mouse over them anyway. I tend to go for anywhere between 50-150 depending on my mood

MAKE PROGRAMS LOAD FASTER

This little tweak tends to work for most programs. If your program doesn't load properly just undo the change. For any program:

Right-click on the icon/shortcut you use to launch the program
Select properties
In the 'target' box, add ' /prefetch:1' at the end of the line.
Click "Ok"
Voila - your programs will now load faster.

IMPROVE XP SHUTDOWN SPEED

This tweak reduces the time XP waits before automatically closing any running programs when you give it the command to shutdown.

Go to Start then select Run
Type 'Regedit' and click ok
Find 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\'
Select 'WaitToKillAppTimeout'
Right click and select 'Modify'
Change the value to '1000'
Click 'OK'
Now select 'HungAppTimeout'
Click 'OK'
Now find 'HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop'
Select 'WaitToKillAppTimeout'
Click 'OK'
Now find 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\'
Select 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout'
Click 'OK'

SPEED UP BOOT TIMES I

This tweak works by creating a batch file to clear the temp and history folders everytime you shutdown so that your PC doesn't waste time checking these folders the next time it boots. It's quite simple to implement:

1. Open Notepad and create a new file with the following entries:

RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\"UserName without quotes"\Local Settings\History"
RD /S /q "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History"
RD /S /q "D:\Temp\" <--"Deletes temp folder, type in the location of your temp folder"

2. Save the new as anything you like but it has to be a '.bat' file e.g. fastboot.bat or deltemp.bat

3. Click 'Start' then 'Run'

4. Type in 'gpedit.msc' and hit 'ok'

5. Click on 'Computer Configuration' then 'Windows Settings'

6. Double-click on 'Scripts' and then on 'Shutdown'

7. Click 'Add' and find the batch file that you created and then press 'Ok'

SPEED UP BOOT TIMES II

When your PC starts it usually looks for any bootable media in any floppy or cd-rom drives you have installed before it gets around to loading the Operating System from the HDD. This can waste valuable time. To fix this we need to make some changes to the Bios.

1. To enter the bios you usually press 'F2' or 'delete' when your PC starts

2. Navigate to the 'Boot' menu

3. Select 'Boot Sequence'

4. Then either move your Hard drive to the top position or set it as the 'First Device'

5. Press the 'Escape' key to leave the bios. Don't forget to save your settings before exiting

Note: Once this change has been made, you won't be able to boot from a floppy disc or a CD-rom. If for some strange reason you need to do this in the future, just go back into your bios, repeat the steps above and put your floppy or CD-rom back as the 'First Device'

SPEED UP BOOT TIMES III

When your computer boots up it usually has to check with the network to see what IP addresses are free and then it grabs one of these. By configuring a manually assigned IP address your boot time will improve. To do this do the following:

1. Click on 'Start' and then ''Connect To/Show All Connections'

2. Right-click your network adapter card and click 'Properties'.

3. On the 'General' tab, select 'TCP/IP' in the list of services and click 'Properties'

4.I n the TCP/IP properties, click 'Use the following address' and enter an IP address for your PC. If you are using a router this is usually 192.168.0.xx or 192.168.1.xx. If you are not sure what address you could check with your ISP or go to 'Start/run' and type 'cmd' and then 'ipconfig/all'. This will show your current IP settings which you will need to copy.

5. Enter the correct details for 'Subnet mask', 'Default gateway' and 'DNS Server'. Again if you are not sure what figures to enter use 'ipconfig/all' as in stage 4.

FREE UP MEMORY

I found this useful app via FixMyXP. ClearMem Is an Excellent Tool for speeding up your XP Computer (especially if your system has been on for awhile and you have a lot of applications open). What it does, is it Forces pages out of physical memory and reduces the size of running processes if working sets to a minimum. When you run this tool, the system pauses because of excessive high-priority activity associated with trimming the working sets. To run this tool, your paging file must be at least as large as physical memory. To Check your Paging File:

1. Go to your control panel, then click on 'System', then go to the 'Advanced' Tab, and Under 'Performance' click 'Settings' then the 'Advanced' Tab

2. On the Bottom you should see 'Virtual Memory' and a value. This is the value that must be at least as large as how much memory is in your system.

3. If the Virtual Memory Value is smaller than your system memory, click Change and change the Min Virtual Memory to a number that is greater than your total system memory, then click 'Set' and Reboot.

4. Once you have rebooted install ClearMem

ENSURE XP IS USING DMA MODE

XP enables DMA for Hard-Drives and CD-Roms by default on most ATA or ATAPI (IDE) devices. However, sometimes computers switch to PIO mode which is slower for data transfer - a typical reason is because of a virus. To ensure that your machine is using DMA:

1. Open 'Device Manager'

2. Double-click 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers'

3. Right-click 'Primary Channel' and select 'Properties' and then 'Advanced Settings'

4. In the 'Current Transfer Mode' drop-down box, select 'DMA if Available' if the current setting is 'PIO Only'

ADD CORRECT NETWORK CARD SETTINGS

Some machines suffer from jerky graphics or high CPU usage even when a machine is idle. A possible solution for this, which, can also can help network performance is to:

1. RightClick 'My Computer'

2. Select 'Manage'

3. Click on 'Device Manager'

4. DoubleClick your network adaptor under 'Network Adapters'

5. In the new window, select the 'Advanced' tab

6. Select 'Connection Type' and select the correct type for your card and then Reboot

REMOVE ANNOYING DELETE CONFIRMATION MESSAGES

Although not strictly a performance tweak I love this fix as it makes my machine 'feel' faster. I hate the annoying 'are you sure?' messages that XP displays, especially if I have to use a laptop touchpad to close them. To remove these messages:

1. Right-click on the 'Recycle Bin' on the desktop and then click 'Properties'

2. Clear the 'Display Delete Confirmation Dialog' check box and click 'Ok'

If you do accidently delete a file don't worry as all is not lost. Just go to your Recycle Bin and 'Restore' the file.

DISABLE PREFETCH ON LOW MEMORY SYSTEMS

Prefetch is designed to speed up program launching by preloading programs into memory - not a good idea is memory is in short supply, as it can make programs hang. To disable prefetch:

1. Click 'Start' then 'Run'

2. Type in 'Regedit' then click 'Ok'

3. Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\'

4. Right-click on "EnablePrefetcher" and set the value to '0'

5. Reboot.

1. Opt for an Intel Pentium 4 or an Intel Centrino processor. The processor forms the computing core of your laptop and is one area where you must not compromise.

Invest wisely here. The processor is the first component likely to get outdated and it is not possible to upgrade it.

2. Opt for a 256 MB DDR SDRAM. A RAM of lower memory capacity will make it difficult to run certain applications and software.

Upgrading from 256 to 512 MB DDR SDRAM could cost you between $100 and $150.

3. Choose an Active-matrix (TFT) display, preferably an LCD. The display is an active matrix if you can see the arrow while it traverses the screen. Most displays nowadays are TFTs as the Passive-matrix (dual scan) is now outdated.

TFTs are highly preferred because of their sharper images, better resolution and smoother images of motion on the screen.

Wide screen laptops are a visual treat and recommended for those interested in the movie experience. But they cost 8% to 10% more than the conventional laptops, are obviously bulkier to carry and slightly low on battery life.

4. If you travel extensively, take care that your laptop weighs under 5 pounds. If your laptop will be confined to your room, you could go in for a slightly heavier one. It will be cheaper. It will also have a few more features.

5. Check the battery life on the laptop. Insist that it is a Lithium-ion (Li+) battery (nearly all laptops will have this one). Choose batteries with a high voltage and a high mAh. Do not go for NiMH batteries, as you will have to keep charging them frequently.

6. If you have no intention of using a CD frequently, an external DVD and CDRW drives may be preferred to inbuilt ones. The main convenience being that they reduce the weight of the base piece and provide lesser complications later on.

If they are an integral part of your work, you might as well opt for an inbuilt version.

Incidentally, the prices of DVD drives are expected to fall considerably over the next one year.

Don't stress on your laptop having a floppy drive. Floppies are getting obsolete by the minute and will soon be terminated.

7. If you are on the move, buy a laptop with a spill-resistant keyboard and shock-resistant hard drives. This will ensure your hard disk does not crash and you don't lose data in the event of a minor crash or fall.

8. Ensure the laptop has two or more USB ports, as you will need them to attach your peripheral devices like printers and scanners.

You could even consider buying a pen drive to act as a reliable data transfer mode.

Choose a laptop with wireless connectivity in the form of Bluetooth and Infrared. These make data transfer very convenient and reliable and you can send data to multiple recipients at one go.

These facilities on your laptop would cost you around $30 more and are independent of any service providers.

9. Windows XP Professional is an ideal system for a laptop meant for office use. In laptops, it is very inconvenient to upgrade your operating system, so choose the latest one.

Windows is the most popular operating system, with XP Professional being the latest that supports all the software available today.

10. Some people prefer a touchpad mouse as the navigating option while others prefer the rubberised button situated between the keys G, H and B. Try working with both and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Some laptops come equipped with both. You could also consider a cordless mouse, which is half the size of the regular one.

11. Insist on an inbuilt LAN card and modem.

There are basically two types of modems on offer -- internal modems and PC card-based modems. Make sure the internal modem is fast enough for your needs. Else, opt for the PC card-based one that sticks out of your computer, but is slightly better performance wise.

12. While budgeting for your laptop, bear in mind that a cheaper machine might prove expensive if you plan to upgrade it.

Do not compromise on the processor, the RAM and the operating system.

The memory capacity (GB) can be upgraded later on, so can the CD/DVD drives.

When you are buying your laptop check on upgradation. You can upgrade your machine with or without discarding it. If you plan to change your machine within two years, don't invest too heavily on it.

Where brands are concerned, do note that the IBM laptop division has been taken over by the Chinese company, Lenova.

HP and Compaq are the same brand when it comes to laptops. The good thing about this brand is that it is in a position to provide good service simply because of an established network of service centres.

Despite all the advice you get, make it a point to test your laptop before purchasing it. Don't just take someone's word for it.

Check if you are comfortable with the interface, the keyboard, the touch pad and the display. After all, it is you who are going to be using it and paying for it

some one asked for help but i think this informationb is way outdated!!pentinum 4,512DDR2 RAM for laptop as the best!!no way buddy!!people are moving on with dual core proccesors,above 2.6GHz clock speed in quad chips.1GB ram laptop is the worst one would buy now.unless you tell me that laptop is second hand and may be sold in TZ.but from australia??they can do better.

i dont have enough time to elaborate how outdated the information is BUT i will personally give uptodate info when i get decent time.

BUT just 4 a quick round up,dont go for anything under 1GB of memory and it should at least have dual core.and remember pentinum 4 is way too old!!u can do better.

will get back when i get time.

The Budget Notebook User (As low as you can go to $900):

Ok, you’ve just got $500 of birthday money from all of your relatives, and you decide to throw in another $300 of your own money to buy a new notebook – what kind of notebook can you buy for that and what performance will it have? What the heck can it do? Well, these are the things to expect from most low-end notebooks:

Processor:
A good old $800 laptop will probably have either an AMD Sempron processor, or an Intel Celeron. Try to avoid the Celeron if you can, as it has less power management features than a Sempron processor does. Basically a Sempron CPU will get much better battery life on average than its Celeron counterpart will. If you can score an Intel Core Solo, Intel Core Duo/Duo 2, or an AMD Turion 64/X2, go for that instead of the other two. You're not likely to spot a lot of Core Duos in this price range, however.

RAM/HD:
Most laptops in this price range will have decent sized hard drives (HDs) – probably 40-60GBs and a good amount of Random Access Memory (RAM) – usually around 512MB-1GB.

Screen Sizes:
These notebooks generally have screens varying from 14” to 15.4”, although there may be some exceptions to this.

Graphics Card:
NO dedicated graphics: Basically No dedicated Graphics Card (GPU) = Poor gaming/3D intensive experience; Do not expect your new $800 notebook to play Doom 3 or Battlefield 2 well with its integrated graphics chip. However, I have managed to play Battlefield 1942 on some integrated solutions, so older games may be O.K. with Integrated Solutions. Try to get a ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 or Nvidia GeForce Go 6150 in this price range – it’s probably the best you can do. The Nvidia 6150 GPU is currently the best integrated card as it actually has its own memory, ranging from around 32MB to 128MB of dedicated memory (Vista with Aero capable). ATI's Xpress 1150 isn't a bad choice either, but it doesn't have the extra "oomph" needed to play higher level games. Intel has also announced and introduced their new X3100 GPU, which is able to run Vista’s AeroGlass interface without kinks with enough RAM. Their new GPU should be able to handle a fair amount of gaming, so long as its not too intense.

General Tasks that can be Accomplished:
These notebooks are best suited for: word processing, internet surfing, listening to music, watching DVDs, light gaming (usually games that are a few years old will work just fine - ATI's, and especially Nvidia's cards, should be able to handle more than GMA cards), and other general productivity.

Weight/Size:
Budget notebooks aren’t going to be light as a feather and aren’t meant for anything but general productivity. Their weight range is 5-8 pounds depending upon your particular notebook. You can take these notebooks traveling with you, however, they aren’t meant for the road warrior.

Who this Type of Notebook is Meant For:
These types of notebooks are meant for mainly home/student users who are on a budget.

Amenities:
Not much with a budget notebook, but try to look for one that has an integrated wireless solution. Also, make sure your notebook has at least 3 USB ports; firewire is also another plus if you can find it on your notebook. In addition, you should look for a DVD-ROM drive to watch DVDs and burn CDs.

Notebooks to Look For:
1. Compaq C500T- This is a good 15.4” budget notebook – it features Intel’s Celeron Processor and can be upgraded to Intel’s Pentium M (both are quite old, however). This notebook does come pre-installed with Windows Vista, but don’t expect to run the AeroGlass feature (at least not well), due to its Intel GMA 950 GPU. At its rock bottom price of $450, its hard to argue with this notebook value wise, but other notebooks come fairly close for a little bit more money
2. Dell Inspiron E1501- This 15.4" notebook is virtually the same as a Dell E1505, except for its CPU and graphics card. The E1501 features an AMD Dual-Core Turion 64 CPU paired to an ATI Radeon 1150 Xpress. Not bad for a notebook that starts at $650
3. Compaq V6000t/V6000z- Virtually identical to its HP counter part (dv6000 series), this notebook has a slightly reduced price over its HP brother. Like with most all HP/Compaq products, this notebook comes in two flavors, one offering a combination of an Intel Core Duo 2 and a GMA 950, and the other offering a Turion X2 paired with an Nvidia 6150 Go. The both start around the astounding price of only $450

The Mainstream Notebook/Cheap Gaming Notebook ($900-$1900):

Uh-Oh! Your old faithful desktop just blew up! But after 9 years of good dedication from this machine, you aren’t too disappointed. You’ve thought about replacing it with another desktop, but you’ve recently been interested in notebooks – they’re lighter, consume less space/energy, and are usually equally as powerful. But you’ve seen some high-end notebooks with gigantic price tags of $2000 and even more! You don’t want a low-end notebook either – you want something decent enough to run Battlefield 2 and maybe even Doom 3. You want a mainstream notebook/cheap gaming notebook:

Processor:
A midrange notebook will probably come with an Intel Core Duo/Duo 2 processor or an AMD Turion X2 processor. The Turion X2, while not being a bad CPU, doesn't quite have the prowess of a Core Duo 2 has and lags in the battery-life department when compared to its Intel counterpart. The Core Duo is an excellent processor and will handle all tasks very easily, especially when multi-tasking. The Core Duo (regular) will have increased battery life when compared with its AMD counterparts as well, due to its excellent power management features. Core Duo 2s are becoming the mainstream in this segment nowadays, replacing the older Core Duos, which will offer better performance than the Core Duo and 64-bit capability, but will take a small hit in battery life.

RAM/HD:
Most laptops in this price range will have 60-100GB HDs depending upon your preference. Beware of 4,200 RPM HDs if performance means anything to you, however. Try to get notebooks that have HD speeds of 5,400 RPM or greater for better performance in your laptop. Notebooks in this range usually have 1GB of RAM or greater installed, and are also usually upgradeable to 2-3GB of RAM. Look out for dual-channel RAM as well – it will give you a slight increase in performance if you're using integrated graphics.

Screen Sizes:
These notebooks usually can have screen sizes varying from 12” portables to 17” media powerhouses.

Graphics Card:
Most mainstream notebooks have decent dedicated GPUs installed in them, which will allow their owners to enjoy more recent games/GPU intensive tasks at a higher level of performance than those with Integrated GPUs. These graphics cards will usually allow their users to play games such as Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 at medium to high settings, depending upon your particular GPU. Good mainstream GPUs to look out for are the ATI Radeon X1400/1300 and the Nvidia GeForce 7300/7400. If you can score an ATI X1600/X1700 or an Nvidia GeForce 7700/7900GS Go, all the more power to you! However, if you’re look at notebooks 14” and below, your choice of a dedicated GPU becomes more and more restricted, so don’t be disappointed if you end up having to settle for an integrated GPU on your new 12” notebook.
(note: Nvidia’s GeForce 8-series is beginning to permeate the notebook marketplace – if you’re a hardcore gamer, look for a notebook that has one of these high-performance cards in it)

General Tasks that can be Accomplished:
These notebooks can handle everything a budget notebook can with extreme ease. However, their real advantage lies in overall better build quality and better hardware when compared with budget notebooks, and can be used more for gaming with a dedicated GPU.

Weight/Size:
These notebooks, depending on which one you buy, can weigh as little as 3 pounds all the way up to 10 pound behemoths. If you want to go for a lighter notebook, you can use it on the road more easily, but you’ll be limited in screen size and in power, in terms of a GPU, usually. If you’re a multimedia person looking out for a notebook, you’re in luck – most laptop sizes have a 15.4" or 17" display, perfect for all of your multimedia needs.

Who this Notebook is Meant For:
The average home/student user, the road warrior on a budget, and gamers who don’t want to dump their wallet on an insane notebook gaming rig.

Amenities:
These notebooks usually come with an integrated wireless solution and sometimes with Bluetooth as well. Look for 4 USB ports as well as other connectors such as an RGB monitor out port, plus a firewire port and a card-reader slot. A DVD-Rom drive is a must, but try to look for a drive that can Burn DVDs/CDs as well as view them. Look out for glossy and matte screens too.

Notebooks to Look For:
1. HP Pavilion dv6500t/dv6000t/dv6000z- The HP dv6000 series sports a dual-core CPU and comes with a Nvidia 8400GS Go GPU (dv6500t only) or Nvidia 7400 Go (dv6000t only), both of which should be fine for moderate gaming. It also comes with some classy looks as well.
2. Dell Inspiron E1520/Vostro 1500- An excellent 15.4" notebook that comes with Intel's Core Duo 2 technology and decent graphics from either the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT or 8400M GS (go for the 8600 for more gaming performance). This notebook offers a good bang for your buck, and also has a newer refreshed style after the years of the old Dell “box” look. (note: the Vostro comes without the usual Dell bloatware and has a black housing case)
3. HP Pavilion dv9500t/dv9000z- A terrific 17” multimedia powerhouse, featuring dual HDs for up to 400GB of storage! It comes complete with an Intel Core Duo2/Turion X2 CPU and an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS GPU. It's a direct competitior to the Dell 1720/Vostro 1700 and the Toshiba Satellite P200 series. It is slightly more expensive, however, and doesn't offer as much GPU performance as the Dell does.
4. Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700- An excellent 17” gaming notebook featuring either the Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS or 8600M GS (go for the later if you want better GPU performance)! It also features an Intel Core Duo 2 processor with up to 4GB of RAM, and with Windows Vista, it’s a great multimedia notebook as well. Its updated, refreshed look is also a welcome addition as well.
5. ThinkPad T and Z series- If you want durability with great business performance, you’ve got yourself a ThinkPad. These notebooks can take a beating and also include fingerprint security as well as the legendary Thinkpad keyboard.
6. Asus W3J/V6J- Both these notebooks are of excellent quality and have fairly decent performance. However, the V6J is lacking in GPU power, and somewhat more expensive than the competition is. The W3J is an excellent 14" notebook that sports the powerful ATI X1600 GPU.
7. Sony FE-Series- The new FE series is the replacement for the very popular Sony FS series and comes with newly updated hardware, which include the Intel Core Duo and the Nvidia GeForce 7400.
8. Apple MacBook- Apple's newest MacIntel notebook replaces the older iBook line and does it with some style. The new MacBooks are Core Duo 2 powered, but sadly are only offered with integrated graphics. They do come in two attractive colors, however - White and Black.
9. Dell XPS M1330 - Dell continues on its redesign rampage (which is a good thing), with its M1330. It is probably the best looking product that Dell has come out with in a long while. It features Intel Core Duo 2 technology and comes equipped with an optional Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS for a decent gaming experience. It also one of the first notebooks that has made use of LED backlight technology.
10. Asus G1 Ensemble- This stunningly stylish notebook from Asus dishes out a good amount of value and quality for a good price. At $1800, this notebook comes speced out with a 2.0GHz Core Duo 2 CPU, 2GB RAM, a Nvidia GeForce 7700 Go, 160GB HD and a WSXGA+ screen standard. I would go check one out online if you want a gaming notebook that's stylish as well as powerful.
11. Dell Latitude D240 - Another notebook from Dell - the Latitude D240 has everything a roadwarrior on a budget needs: excellent support, good durability/battery life, and of course, price. This 3lbs notebook can be had for only $1200 and comes equipped with either an Intel Core Solo or Intel LV Core Duo 2

High-End Notebooks (2000+):
High end notebooks range from super-powerful gaming rigs with an insane amount of power to some of the smallest notebooks on the market today for the super road-warrior. Thse notebooks usually have all the newest hardware and all the bells and whistles, making them a High-End notebook:

Processor:
In high-end notebooks, you’ll want the fastest Core Duo or Turion you can get your hands on. However, be warned of AMD Athlon X2 and especially Intel Core Duo 2 desktop processors if you want any kind of portability at all. Plus, both these processors suck battery life like none other and throw off enough heat to be a portable heater. In this price range, however, there are notebooks that are feather light and can’t have a power-sucking processor, but instead have Low-Voltage (LV) or Ultra-Low-Voltage (ULV) Intel Core Duo/Core Duo 2 processors in them. These notebooks are meant for the super road warrior.

RAM/HD:
If you’re looking at a gaming rig, 1-2GB of RAM is a must have, 3-4GB would be much better, however (although you’d be paying a pretty penny for some RAM). If you’re looking at ultra-portable notebooks, 1GB would be ideal, and some ultra portables have RAM built in, so no major upgrades here. The HD size for a gaming rig should be 60-100GB with a RPM of at least 5,400, if not 7,200. For road warriors, sorry no 100GB HDs for you! Look for notebooks that have 60-80GBs of storage with a power-saving RPM of 4,200.

Screen Sizes:
Here, screen sizes are usually at opposite ends of the spectrum, either a tiny 12”-10” screen for those road-warriors or a 17” giant for those of you who are gamers. You’ll rarely ever see a 14”-15.4” notebook in this category.

Graphics Card:
You’ll either be getting a power-sipping integrated GPU for ultra portables, or an insanely powerful GPU for gaming rigs. Look for Intel GMA 900/950 if your going for an ultra portable – its probably the best you can do. For gamers, look for the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS/GT or ATI equivalent at the very least. A better graphics solution would be the GeForce 8800M GT. Games like Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 are going to be child’s play for GPUs like these.

General Tasks that can be Accomplished: For ultra-portables, basic computing and general productivity. For gaming rigs – virtually every computing task known to man. If your notebook can’t do it, it probably can’t be done.

Weight/Size:
Ultra-portables usually weigh less than 4.5 pounds and are easy to carry with you, almost everywhere. If you’re looking at a gaming rig, you’re probably not going to be able to take it everywhere with you – they usually weigh upwards of 8 pounds.

Who this notebook is Meant For:
The super-road warrior, the insane gamer, or the multimedia freak of course!

Amenities:
You can expect these notebooks to have basically everything on them. Integrated wireless, Bluetooth, 5+ USB ports, you name it and these notebooks probably have it. Of course ultra-portables won’t have 5+ USB ports, but will have all the other goodies, and some even come with Cingular/Verizon wireless internet access cards that can be used almost everywhere.

Notebooks to Look For:
1. Asus W2pb- Featuring excellent build quality, blow-the-doors off sound, and an excellent 17” screen, this notebook is made for the media-centric freak. Asus, to the applaud of the notebook community, has updated the screen resolution on its largest Ensemble notebook, back to WSXGA format. This notebook features an Intel Core Duo 2 (T7200) and an ATI X1600 GPU.
2. Toshiba Qosmio G45- Another outstanding multimedia notebook that closely rivals the Asus W2jb. It features a built-in, instant TV tuner with XP MCE and the best 17” glossy screen I’ve ever seen in my life. This notebook also has dual harmon/kardon speakers that won’t disappoint. The new Qosmio G45 sports an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU, a new HD-DVD Drive by Toshiba, and an optional WUXGA screen.
3. Dell XPS M1710- This super powerful gaming rig won’t let down you down when it comes to GPU power. With its ultra fast Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX, this notebook will perform any task it is given with ease, and makes games like Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 look like child’s play. The XPS also features a flashy lid complete with lights that literally make this notebook “glow”!
4. HP Pavilion HDX- This is HP’s foray into the notebook PC/desktop PC hybrid arena. This giant of a notebook (if you can even call it that), can come equipped with an Intel Core Duo 2 Extreme (overclocked) CPU for the ultimate gaming experience. This hybrid also comes equipped with an ATI Radeon 2600XT (512MB), making for a superfast GPU. It’s 20” touchscreen display is also another big plus.
5. Sony TX-series- This ultra-portable laptop features a built-in Cingular Internet Wireless card and can get about 7.5 hours of battery life on a single charge. It also has an Intel ULV processor for the greatest amount of battery life.
6. Asus G2 EnsembleLike its 15.4" cousin, the Asus G2 Gaming notebook offers a lot in terms of style and value. It comes well equipped with an ATI X1700 GPU and Core Duo 2 CPU. It also comes with some XPS-esque lighting on its sides.
7. Apple Mac Book Pro 15"/17"- These foxy notebooks made by Apple have excellent costruction and feature numerous gizmos and gadgets along with an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU and a Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. However, there have been reports of heat issues and an underclocked GPU because of the notebook's heat situation - some faults in an otherwise excellent notebook.

Another thing to consider...
When buying your notebook, you have to realize that there's always newer, better technology that's going to come out and trump whatever is currently the best in technology. To be honest, this is just the way the technology works - don't hold yourself back from buying if you really need the notebook. My golden rule when it comes to buying notebooks is: If you need it now, buy it - if not, then don't buy. Also, make sure you've done your research on which notebook fits your needs best and offers the most performance/amenities for your budget so you don't double guess what you've bought. Keep your ears open and look out for newer technology that's coming out in the attainable future - check our New Bits on NBR.com's front page, kindly updated by our Lead Mod., Chaz.

What the Heck are Doom 3 and Battlefield 2?:
Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 are current games that demand the most out of a user’s notebook – basically pushing the notebook to its limits. These games are used as benchmarks usually to compare a notebook’s GPU.

Note: I’m sorry if I left your favorite notebook off of a particular list, or forgot to put in a certain fact. Please send me a message, and I’ll correct it. I also tried to keep this as unbiased as possible, so tell me if you think I’m biast! Feel free to PM me with questions, but make sure you've consulted the forums too!

Thanks Shy...point taken and are very usefull to me hope by next year i will have the good laptop.

Good day

The Budget Notebook User (As low as you can go to $900):

Ok, you've just got $500 of birthday money from all of your relatives, and you decide to throw in another $300 of your own money to buy a new notebook &#8211; what kind of notebook can you buy for that and what performance will it have? What the heck can it do? Well, these are the things to expect from most low-end notebooks

Notebooks to Look For:
1. HP Pavilion dv6500t/dv6000t/dv6000z- The HP dv6000 series sports a dual-core CPU and comes with a Nvidia 8400GS Go GPU (dv6500t only) or Nvidia 7400 Go (dv6000t only), both of which should be fine for moderate gaming. It also comes with some classy looks as well.
2. Dell Inspiron E1520/Vostro 1500- An excellent 15.4" notebook that comes with Intel's Core Duo 2 technology and decent graphics from either the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT or 8400M GS (go for the 8600 for more gaming performance). This notebook offers a good bang for your buck, and also has a newer refreshed style after the years of the old Dell "box" look. (note: the Vostro comes without the usual Dell bloatware and has a black housing case)
3. HP Pavilion dv9500t/dv9000z- A terrific 17" multimedia powerhouse, featuring dual HDs for up to 400GB of storage! It comes complete with an Intel Core Duo2/Turion X2 CPU and an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS GPU. It's a direct competitior to the Dell 1720/Vostro 1700 and the Toshiba Satellite P200 series. It is slightly more expensive, however, and doesn't offer as much GPU performance as the Dell does.
4. Dell Inspiron 1720/Vostro 1700- An excellent 17" gaming notebook featuring either the Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS or 8600M GS (go for the later if you want better GPU performance)! It also features an Intel Core Duo 2 processor with up to 4GB of RAM, and with Windows Vista, it's a great multimedia notebook as well. Its updated, refreshed look is also a welcome addition as well.
5. ThinkPad T and Z series- If you want durability with great business performance, you've got yourself a ThinkPad. These notebooks can take a beating and also include fingerprint security as well as the legendary Thinkpad keyboard.
6. Asus W3J/V6J- Both these notebooks are of excellent quality and have fairly decent performance. However, the V6J is lacking in GPU power, and somewhat more expensive than the competition is. The W3J is an excellent 14" notebook that sports the powerful ATI X1600 GPU.
7. Sony FE-Series- The new FE series is the replacement for the very popular Sony FS series and comes with newly updated hardware, which include the Intel Core Duo and the Nvidia GeForce 7400.
8. Apple MacBook- Apple's newest MacIntel notebook replaces the older iBook line and does it with some style. The new MacBooks are Core Duo 2 powered, but sadly are only offered with integrated graphics. They do come in two attractive colors, however - White and Black.
9. Dell XPS M1330 - Dell continues on its redesign rampage (which is a good thing), with its M1330. It is probably the best looking product that Dell has come out with in a long while. It features Intel Core Duo 2 technology and comes equipped with an optional Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS for a decent gaming experience. It also one of the first notebooks that has made use of LED backlight technology.
10. Asus G1 Ensemble- This stunningly stylish notebook from Asus dishes out a good amount of value and quality for a good price. At $1800, this notebook comes speced out with a 2.0GHz Core Duo 2 CPU, 2GB RAM, a Nvidia GeForce 7700 Go, 160GB HD and a WSXGA+ screen standard. I would go check one out online if you want a gaming notebook that's stylish as well as powerful.
11. Dell Latitude D240 - Another notebook from Dell - the Latitude D240 has everything a roadwarrior on a budget needs: excellent support, good durability/battery life, and of course, price. This 3lbs notebook can be had for only $1200 and comes equipped with either an Intel Core Solo or Intel LV Core Duo 2

High-End Notebooks (2000+):
High end notebooks range from super-powerful gaming rigs with an insane amount of power to some of the smallest notebooks on the market today for the super road-warrior. Thse notebooks usually have all the newest hardware and all the bells and whistles, making them a High-End notebook:

Processor:
In high-end notebooks, you'll want the fastest Core Duo or Turion you can get your hands on. However, be warned of AMD Athlon X2 and especially Intel Core Duo 2 desktop processors if you want any kind of portability at all. Plus, both these processors suck battery life like none other and throw off enough heat to be a portable heater. In this price range, however, there are notebooks that are feather light and can't have a power-sucking processor, but instead have Low-Voltage (LV) or Ultra-Low-Voltage (ULV) Intel Core Duo/Core Duo 2 processors in them. These notebooks are meant for the super road warrior.

RAM/HD:
If you're looking at a gaming rig, 1-2GB of RAM is a must have, 3-4GB would be much better, however (although you'd be paying a pretty penny for some RAM). If you're looking at ultra-portable notebooks, 1GB would be ideal, and some ultra portables have RAM built in, so no major upgrades here. The HD size for a gaming rig should be 60-100GB with a RPM of at least 5,400, if not 7,200. For road warriors, sorry no 100GB HDs for you! Look for notebooks that have 60-80GBs of storage with a power-saving RPM of 4,200.

Screen Sizes:
Here, screen sizes are usually at opposite ends of the spectrum, either a tiny 12"-10" screen for those road-warriors or a 17" giant for those of you who are gamers. You'll rarely ever see a 14"-15.4" notebook in this category.

Graphics Card:
You'll either be getting a power-sipping integrated GPU for ultra portables, or an insanely powerful GPU for gaming rigs. Look for Intel GMA 900/950 if your going for an ultra portable &#8211; its probably the best you can do. For gamers, look for the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS/GT or ATI equivalent at the very least. A better graphics solution would be the GeForce 8800M GT. Games like Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 are going to be child's play for GPUs like these.

General Tasks that can be Accomplished: For ultra-portables, basic computing and general productivity. For gaming rigs &#8211; virtually every computing task known to man. If your notebook can't do it, it probably can't be done.

Weight/Size:
Ultra-portables usually weigh less than 4.5 pounds and are easy to carry with you, almost everywhere. If you're looking at a gaming rig, you're probably not going to be able to take it everywhere with you &#8211; they usually weigh upwards of 8 pounds.

Who this notebook is Meant For:
The super-road warrior, the insane gamer, or the multimedia freak of course!

Amenities:
You can expect these notebooks to have basically everything on them. Integrated wireless, Bluetooth, 5+ USB ports, you name it and these notebooks probably have it. Of course ultra-portables won't have 5+ USB ports, but will have all the other goodies, and some even come with Cingular/Verizon wireless internet access cards that can be used almost everywhere.

Notebooks to Look For:
1. Asus W2pb- Featuring excellent build quality, blow-the-doors off sound, and an excellent 17" screen, this notebook is made for the media-centric freak. Asus, to the applaud of the notebook community, has updated the screen resolution on its largest Ensemble notebook, back to WSXGA format. This notebook features an Intel Core Duo 2 (T7200) and an ATI X1600 GPU.
2. Toshiba Qosmio G45- Another outstanding multimedia notebook that closely rivals the Asus W2jb. It features a built-in, instant TV tuner with XP MCE and the best 17" glossy screen I've ever seen in my life. This notebook also has dual harmon/kardon speakers that won't disappoint. The new Qosmio G45 sports an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU, a new HD-DVD Drive by Toshiba, and an optional WUXGA screen.
3. Dell XPS M1710- This super powerful gaming rig won't let down you down when it comes to GPU power. With its ultra fast Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX, this notebook will perform any task it is given with ease, and makes games like Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 look like child's play. The XPS also features a flashy lid complete with lights that literally make this notebook "glow"!
4. HP Pavilion HDX- This is HP's foray into the notebook PC/desktop PC hybrid arena. This giant of a notebook (if you can even call it that), can come equipped with an Intel Core Duo 2 Extreme (overclocked) CPU for the ultimate gaming experience. This hybrid also comes equipped with an ATI Radeon 2600XT (512MB), making for a superfast GPU. It's 20" touchscreen display is also another big plus.
5. Sony TX-series- This ultra-portable laptop features a built-in Cingular Internet Wireless card and can get about 7.5 hours of battery life on a single charge. It also has an Intel ULV processor for the greatest amount of battery life.
6. Asus G2 EnsembleLike its 15.4" cousin, the Asus G2 Gaming notebook offers a lot in terms of style and value. It comes well equipped with an ATI X1700 GPU and Core Duo 2 CPU. It also comes with some XPS-esque lighting on its sides.
7. Apple Mac Book Pro 15"/17"- These foxy notebooks made by Apple have excellent costruction and feature numerous gizmos and gadgets along with an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU and a Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. However, there have been reports of heat issues and an underclocked GPU because of the notebook's heat situation - some faults in an otherwise excellent notebook.

Another thing to consider...
When buying your notebook, you have to realize that there's always newer, better technology that's going to come out and trump whatever is currently the best in technology. To be honest, this is just the way the technology works - don't hold yourself back from buying if you really need the notebook. My golden rule when it comes to buying notebooks is: If you need it now, buy it - if not, then don't buy. Also, make sure you've done your research on which notebook fits your needs best and offers the most performance/amenities for your budget so you don't double guess what you've bought. Keep your ears open and look out for newer technology that's coming out in the attainable future - check our New Bits on NBR.com's front page, kindly updated by our Lead Mod., Chaz.

What the Heck are Doom 3 and Battlefield 2?:
Doom 3 and Battlefield 2 are current games that demand the most out of a user's notebook &#8211; basically pushing the notebook to its limits. These games are used as benchmarks usually to compare a notebook's GPU.

Note: I'm sorry if I left your favorite notebook off of a particular list, or forgot to put in a certain fact. Please send me a message, and I'll correct it. I also tried to keep this as unbiased as possible, so tell me if you think I'm biast! Feel free to PM me with questions, but make sure you've consulted the forums too!

point taken!!

a very usefull simple guide for someone looking for a laptop.

BUT

to my deepest of experience,those mentioned laptops above are not on the reach of a person with below $1000 budget.and looking at those proccesor/RAM customization above there..,most laptops mentioned here will average at $3000!!!i can bet the cheapest being somewhere above $2000.

and if u demand durability and still go for such premium features then prepare some whooping $4000 and if its a THINKPAD or a SONY then $5000 will give you all those intel core duo 2 processors with 2GB of ram and 7200RPM harddrive!!

features like fingerprint reader,highest perfoming wireless card are just as costy,and as far as i remember very few can play games like halo 3 in TZ due to network availbility and limitations let alone their minimum requirements.

so unless pocket wont be a problem,WHY NOT!!!help yourself!!those are some very good laptops..,

I appreciate your stating so much shy, But as you have copied this all from a place (no offence) you must state the source of it because the authors deserve credit. Moreover this is a copyright infringment. Thankyou.

Shy, toa reference kama unavyoambiwa, kama una copy kitu halafu unajifanya wewe ni mwandishi ni makosa kuki post hicho kitu hapa bila ku-acknowledge... unless unania yako nyingine tusiyo ijua.

Usipofanya hivyo tutakuwa haturidhishwi na chochote utakacho post hapa tena maana hili swala linazidi kujitokeza, umuhimu wake nina uhakika unaufahamu. Tafadhali sana toa references ili tuendelee katika mema. Asante.

SteveD.

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom