Hong Kong: Polisi watumia mabomu ya machozi kutawanya waandamanaji wanaopinga kusogezwa mbele kwa Uchaguzi wa Bunge

beth

JF-Expert Member
Aug 19, 2012
Polisi wametumia mabomu ya machozi kutawanya makundi ya waandamanaji waliokusanyika kupinga uamuzi wa Serikali kusogeza mbele Uchaguzi wa Bunge.

Imeelezwa kuwa, takriban watu 300 wamekamatwa kwa kushiriki maandamano yasiyo na kibali cha Mamlaka.

Uchaguzi wa Bunge ulitakiwa kufanyika jana, Septemba 06 lakini mwezi Julai Kiongozi wa Hong Kong, Carrie Lam alitangaza kusogeza mbele mchakato huo kwa mwaka 1 kutokana na mlipuko wa CoronaVirus.

Wapinzani wameishutumu Serikali kwa uamuzi wake wa kuahirisha Uchaguzi wakidai wanatumia janga la COVID19 kama kigezo cha kuzuia wananchi kupiga kura.

Aidha, wakosoaji wamesema Serikali ya Lam ilifikia uamuzi huo kutokana na hofu kwamba wapinzani watashinda viti vingi endapo Uchaguzi ungefanyika kama ilivyopangwa.

====

Police in Hong Kong have fired pepper-spray balls at crowds protesting against a government decision to delay legislative elections in the territory.

Nearly 300 people were arrested at Sunday's unauthorised demonstration

The elections had been due on 6 September, but the government postponed them by a year saying it was necessary amid a rise in coronavirus infections.

The opposition is accusing the government of using the pandemic as a pretext to stop people from voting.

Opposition activists had hoped to obtain a majority in the Legislative Council (LegCo), capitalising on anger at Beijing's imposition of a controversial national security law in Hong Kong, and fears that the territory's freedoms are being eroded.

Hong Kong, a former British colony, was handed back to China in 1997 under an agreement meant to guarantee a high degree of autonomy for 50 years.

Pro-democracy candidates had made unprecedented gains in last year's district council elections, winning 17 out of 18 councils.

What's the latest from Sunday's protests?
Thousands of people took to the streets of Hong Kong to mark the day the elections had been due to be held.

Chanting "Give me back my right to vote!", groups of protesters walked a short distance before they were confronted by heavily armed riot police.

At least 289 people were arrested, local media report.

"I want my right to vote! Shame [on the government] for postponing the elections!" Leung Kwok-hung, one of those detained on Sunday, was quoted as saying by the South China Morning Post website.

Earlier, a high-profile opposition activist, Tam Tak-chi, was detained, accused of making speeches that could incite hatred and contempt of the government.

He was held by police working to enforce the Chinese territory's new strict national security law, which was imposed by Beijing in June and criminalises many forms of political expression.

BBC

Back
Top Bottom