Help Firefox set a World Record!

LazyDog

JF-Expert Member
Apr 10, 2008
Help Firefox set a World Record for the most software downloaded in 24 hours. With the backing of our community and your help we know we can make it!

Check out the Download Day Headquarters for all the details.

Do you think we will make it? Is your country winning the race?

Please check out the number of people who've pledged in Tanzania, halafu cheki Uganda na Kenya.

Cheers!

• Tanzania --- 78
  • Uganda --- 173
  • Kenya --- 238

It is not necessary to have 2 or more Web browsers.

Features that I like in Firefox apart from speed as compared to IE:
  • Internet Explorer freezes often when saving web pages; this do not happen when I use Firefox.
  • I do have a tendency to open many pages and wait for them to load. What I love about Firefox is that if something like power outage occurs the computer will shutdown unexpectedly, but Firefox will restore last session (open windows) upon reboot.
  • It does spell checking as I type into this forum.

Did you know that there is a portable version of Firefox which is only 6MB? And that it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on?
So you can take your favorite browser along with all your favorite bookmarks and extensions with you wherever you go.

Take a sneak peek hasa sehemu ya Security uone Firefox 3 italeta nini kipya!

• Tanzania --- 89
  • Uganda --- 194
  • Kenya --- 277

Download Day starts at 8:00 PM TODAY (local time)
Will You Download Day?

The number of downloads
  • Uganda --- 89
  • Tanzania --- 156
  • Kenya --- 702
  • Chad --- 1
Angola, Zambia,
Namibia, Botswana,
Zimbabwe, Congo, Mozambique --- all below 150 downloads

Do we have to reach a specific number of downloads in order to set the record?

This is the first record attempt of its kind so there is no set number. We'd really like to outdo the number of Firefox 2 downloads on its launch day, which was 1.6 million. Let's shoot for 5 million--the sky is the limit!

This afternoon the total number of downloads was 5.6 million.

Please download Firefox 3 today by 9:16 p.m (local time)

Firefox 3 hit a speed bump on Download Day. For more than two hours, GetFirefox.com was flooded with users hopeful to download the latest version of Mozilla's open source browser. Unfortunately, the company wasn't prepared for the influx of potential downloaders looking for the application and the site crashed.

Writing to ChannelWeb in an email, Mike Schroepfer, vice president of engineering for Mozilla, stated that the servers were overwhelmed.

"We've had a huge influx of requests so the systems are in fact overloaded," Schroepfer wrote. "The Ops team is working right now to bring up more capacity."

Full Story

Awesome work - we’re almost there!

Thanks to the support of the always amazing Mozilla community, we got more than 8 million Firefox 3 downloads in 24 hours. That’s more Firefox downloads than we’ve ever had in a single day -- an impressive feat indeed!

Please be patient while the good people of Guinness review our World Record attempt. This might take a few days so please check back here. And, a huge thanks for all of your support!

Just be careful with them bugs, nasikia security wonks wameshagundua holes katika the new Firefox browser.

Awesome work - we're almost there!

Thanks to the support of the always amazing Mozilla community, we got more than 8 million Firefox 3 downloads in 24 hours. That's more Firefox downloads than we've ever had in a single day -- an impressive feat indeed!

Please be patient while the good people of Guinness review our World Record attempt. This might take a few days so please check back here. And, a huge thanks for all of your support!

We did it!

We set a Guinness World Record for the most software downloads in 24 hours.
With your help we reached 8,002,530 downloads.

You are now part of a World Record and the proud owner of the best version of Firefox yet!

Don't forget to download your very own certificate for helping set a Guinness World Record.

Perhaps this is just me or my computer.
If you're using Firefox 2 or 3, could you try to use IE7 and see if you can notice any difference? I switched to IE7 today just to try; it takes ages to load a page!

We did it!

We set a Guinness World Record for the most software downloads in 24 hours.
With your help we reached 8,002,530 downloads.

You are now part of a World Record and the proud owner of the best version of Firefox yet!

Don't forget to download your very own certificate for helping set a Guinness World Record.

Perhaps this is just me or my computer.
If you're using Firefox 2 or 3, could you try to use IE7 and see if you can notice any difference? I switched to IE7 today just to try; it takes ages to load a page!

..ie7 is necessary but not sufficient!

Remember, that whole Firefox download day thing that we got so amped up about? Us too.

Remember when their servers screwed the pooch for most of "Download Day"? Us too.

How about that vulnerability that affected all 8 zillion of us who downloaded version 3? Yep, we remember that too.

Now you can put all those rough memories behind and sleep easy. Today, Mozilla "officially" announced setting the record, with 8,002,530 downloads on the release day of Firefox 3. It's fair to point out that, nothing was broken here... this was a new record, hence "setting" and not "breaking".

Will you remember Mozilla set the Guinness World Record for the most software downloads in 24 hours on June 18th, 2008? Neither will we.

But congrats on still being #2 Firefox. Let us know when that changes and we'll jump around and party like it's 2035!

0 Reactions
Back
Top Bottom