Hamisi Kigwangalla's Letter to Peter Ross Sullivan, CEO Resolute Mining Ltd

HKigwangalla

JF-Expert Member
Feb 6, 2008
Huu ndiyo waraka wangu kwa Bw. Peter Ross Sullivan, Afisa Mtendaji Mkuu na Mkurugenzi Mtendaji wa Kampuni ya Resolute Mining Ltd.

Ref. No.: MP2013/13/0017 | Date: June 8th, 2013

Mr. Peter R. Sullivan,
Chief Executive Officer and Non-Independent Executive Director,
Resolute Mining Ltd,
4th Floor, the BGC Centre,
28 The Esplanade,
Perth, Western Australia 6000
Email: contact@rml.com.au
Web.: www.rml.com.au

Dear Mr. Sullivan,

Re: Your Visit to Nzega and Our Pending Grievances

Kindly refer to the heading above.

By way of introduction, I am an elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Nzega Constituency in the Parliament of Tanzania, a proud member and a leader in the ruling party, CCM, and above all a concerned statesman – a Tanzanian, a human being and a citizen of the world.

I feel obliged, in order to set a stage for what I am intending to write here today, to bring to your attention the circumstances for which your rich multinational company, Resolute Mining Ltd, enjoyed an opportunity to come to Tanzania, and particularly to Nzega, through your subsidiary Resolute Tanzania Ltd, to reap our natural resources. We have so many daunting challenges that needs our attention to meet them.

Our leaders, executives and all of us the people are aware of the poor pregnant women who loose their lives and those of their infants just because they miss an opportunity to a skilled birth attendant, we are aware of the possibilities that are opened up when we educate our youngsters, we are very much aware of the many men and women who survive by eating a single indecent meal, we are aware of the crowded wards where pregnant and breastfeeding mothers share a single bed in our hospitals and in some areas where they sleep on the cold floor, we are aware of the many men and women who tirelessly work hard everyday, without commensurate compensation, to serve their fellow Tanzanians in hospitals, health centers, dispensaries, universities, schools, defense forces, police posts, prisons, courts of law, councils, ministries etc, we are aware of the plight faced by our many men and women who attend our hospitals with hopes of getting treatments to their ailments but they don't get the desired medicines and care – we are generally are aware of our poverty and the impact it has on our well-being and backwardness that we have. We live with it, we live it, we swallow the bitterness of all this reality everyday. We remain alive and happy because we hope that the future could be more friendlier. We hope that we have friends and allies, and above all fellow human beings, who are citizen of this world, who would never let us down alone.

We are further aware of the geographical position that our good nation is inherently blessed by GOD, the almighty. We are aware of our potentials and the fact that we have rivers, lakes and arable land that can feed the whole world if made good use of, we are aware of the potentiality we have in minerals, gas, oil and gemstones, we are aware that our country is rich! We have always remained peaceful and friendly to neighbours and countries afar, believing that our potential is formidable and if awaken we will take off and do away of our challenges.

We are aware that we could not succeed on our own, because we are trapped in the poverty cycle, we have no capital, technology and trained personnel. We have to move forward with others, we have to invite friends to bring in their capital, skills and experiences to transform our natural resources and all our potentialities into something tangible that could assist in meeting up to our challenges of poverty, illiteracy and diseases.

It is because of our dire need to exploit our potentials, and ofcourse of the global system that calls for globalised solutions to development we had to attract foreign direct investment to our country, and here is where you came in. In Nzega you invested US$ 48m and started harvesting Gold and Silver. So far you have earned more than US$ 3 billion, and all put together, our country has only benefited by receiving not more than US$ 19m in taxes, levies and Corporate Social Responsibility.

Nzega has only received not more than US$ 3m – excluding the contract on Water supply project where you invested US$ 1 m but you are recouping it by using 1m cubic litres of water everyday without paying your bills until your investment in the project is even. The remainder, about US$ 1.5m you are cosmetically investing in social responsibility projects where you build a class room here and there, a dispensary here and there, a water dam here and there, at very unreasonable costs and brag a lot about it. Despite you people enjoying our riches at very attractive terms, you have been so unkind as to even avoid taxes unnecessarily, avoiding levies and faking your CSR contribution to gain legitimacy.

In return the people of Nzega are depleted of water for domestic use. Your investment in Nzega has polluted the environment, depleted our mineral and water resources, killed and scared away our natural biodiversity, the influx of the people brought infectious diseases like HIV/AIDS and Tuberculosis. Today your company departs Nzega richer than it was in 1997, but Nzega poorer than then, left with all the above plus Cyanide, the empty pit and hips of sand. I wish you could at least be transparent as to tell us the people of Nzega, how you wish to close the mine safely and with minimum health harzards to the people. Stories that you would turn the pits into dams are not very much appreciated by my people. Let you come clear and truthful at least now that you are exiting for it would be so painful if you could leave us without anything beneficial but with environmental health problems.

Kindly know that your investment in Nzega was initially not very welcome, but with the sweet promises you came up with and the fact that the world where multinationals like yours operate being greek to us then, our leaders, executives and us the people finally agreed to work with you, to host you and give you all the necessary assistance and protection believing that your presence would give us an opportunity at making use of natural resources to solve our problems.

Your 15 years of presence in Nzega and Tanzania has proven that you have nothing to offer but everything to take! Your companies have no heart, are not fair and even more are inhuman. Now that you are coming to Nzega, maybe you will have the audacity to prove me wrong and you would be atleast fair and humane and would act to the problems faced by the good people of Nzega. I understand that you are being hailed by your shareholders as being a successful CEO, by squeezing poor people, but for once could you act fairly in the interest of fellow human beings?

I write this letter to you on behalf of the good 600,000 men, women and children who live and work in Nzega. My good people of Nzega, whom I am dearly honored and blessed to represent have requested me to tell you this; that if you are considering visiting our good land of Nzega, you should come along with the following solutions, short of which know that you are not very much welcome.

That, you will respond to this jibe with actions and not words. You will grant the 1,500 men and women their rehabilitation fund as promised by your peers in a dispute resolution meeting between your men and us the representative of the people, chaired by the Deputy Minister for Energy and Minerals, Hon. Stephen Massele (MP). The funds would serve as a rehabilitation mechanism to the people who lived, worked and invested in the mine area before you came in that was claimed by your company and also the environmental and social harzards that have been faced by these people and the surrounding villages.

That, you would pay the pending service levy of close to US$ 3m that you opted not to for reasons known to you better, because at it stands you came in Nzega in 1997 and you have been using services there, our water, our roads etc, and the Local Government Finances Act, 1982 provides for you to pay the same to us. All other companies, contracted by Resolute Tanzania Ltd, including Moolman Bros and other exploration companies have been paying ever since except for your company. This is so shameful , unbecoming and completely unexpected of a big organisation as yours.

That, you would pay to the government a rehabilitation bond of US$ 30m to ensure that you close the mine successfully without leaving behind an environmental impact without insurance that you would correct it.

That, you would service the machines that you wish to leave behind and rehabilitate the buildings to fit for the establishment of a Vocational training institute or a geology and mining engineering faculty.

That, you would meet our proposal for corporate social responsibility that was sent to you and your peers, and set aside funds for construction of bitumen roads in Nzega township, re-construct the water distribution network in Nzega and all villages where the piping goes including creating supply channels from your deep wells, construct 2 state of the art high schools and leave that behind as a legacy to your being in Nzega and enjoying the riches that it was naturally endowed with.

We are aware that you are carrying out prospective mining studies in different parts of our country, and that you are considering re-locating the mining refining equipments from Nzega to Nyakafuru, well, we wish you lucky there but we the people of Nzega shall never be ready to let you vacate from Nzega if we have not cleared all these grievances amicably and in a win-win situation.

I remain humbled by your visit to Nzega and looking forward to hear from you the soonest before you land in Nzega.

Dr. Hamisi Kigwangalla (MP),
NZEGA Constituency.

Cc: - H.E. President Jakaya Kikwete, The United Republic of Tanzania
- The Rt. Hon. Speaker, The Parliament of Tanzania
- The Secretary General, Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM)
- The District Commissioner, Nzega
- The People of Nzega
- The Media Houses

Hello Hon. Kigwangala,
Congratulations for a well written letter. I have some few observations following your letter.
1. Have you ever seen the signed contract between the Ministry/Government of Tanzania
and the company
2. Do you know the policies and regulations that guide the operations of multinationals,
3. If not mistaken, I dare to discourage you that there is nothing to be done by the
company because you, and your party do not listen to other peoples views as far as
mining and multinationals are concerned.
4. If you do not mind just pm me and where possible write me an email, I can volunteer to
give you a documentary on the laid strategies on how to harvest the Natural resources
from Africa with very low costs, the documentary was
produced by WB and IMF staff
members

Zittoh alianza kumwandikia British Premier now wengine wafuatia....

Ila mwisho wa siku hii barua inamalizwa nguvu na ukweli kwamba Resolute walikuja na wakatimiza masharti yalowekwa na serikali ya CCM ambayo mh. HK ni proud member.
Nadhani aanze kuwabana wanaccm wenzake walofanikisha uporaji huo....kinyume na hapo hiyo barua hata CEO hataiona....

Duu tunabikiwa na mashimo tuu!wamekuja wamechota wanaondoka kama walivyotukuta na hasara juu tunaipata!

Zittoh alianza kumwandikia British Premier now wengine wafuatia....

Ila mwisho wa siku hii barua inamalizwa nguvu na ukweli kwamba Resolute walikuja na wakatimiza masharti yalowekwa na serikali ya CCM ambayo mh. HK ni proud member.
Nadhani aanze kuwabana wanaccm wenzake walofanikisha uporaji huo....kinyume na hapo hiyo barua hata CEO hataiona....

Ni kweli usemacho, shida ya watuwa CCM wanadhaniwanaelewa sana na kwamba hakuna wasichojua. Amekumbuka shuka wakati kumekucha. Hata hao anao wapa nakala ni kupoteza muda wake tu. Wiki iliyopita ni Kigwangala huyu huyu aliyetuandikia sifa kibao na akiwa amejawa masham sham kwa aliachiwa kiti na Mkuu wa Kaya walipokuwa Japan akakaa na Marais kibaowa Africa akiwemo Museven nk.

Mimi nadhani anawatonesha wana Nzega na Watanzania wanaoibiwa raslimali zao kwa kuingizwa kwenye mikataba ya aina ya wazee wetu akina chifu Mangungu kwenye karne ya 21. Wewe tulia umalizie Ubunge wakosalama maana kwa kauli na matendo yenu mlioko madarakani mnastahili kupelekwa The Hague. Ni aibu kubwa leo ndu ukurupike kuandika barua ndefu yenye kizungu cha kuchonga kama cha watoto waliofeli mitihani ya 2012.

Ningekushauri utafute wataaklaamu wakuandikie wapo wengi nchi hii ingawa hawalipwi vizuri. Pole sana Bwana Kigwangala Dr.

TAFAKARINI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ni uhaini kudhani tukiwaambia ma-capitalist kwamba sisi ni masikini watatuhurumia..... Tujifunze kunegotiate kwa hoja! Hii kujifanya haya mambo hatukuyaona ni kuendekeza upuuzi (hali ya kupuuzia maswala ya msingi).

Kiongozi mmoja (waziri wa madini) anashiriki kuunda sera ya madini, kiongozi huyo (waziri wa mambo ya nje) anatumika kuzunguka dunia nzima kualika kina Resolute, kisha kiongozi huyo anakuwa rais na kushangaa kwa nini sisi ni masikini na watanzania wanamsifia kuwa ni msikivu.....kama sio upuuzi ni nini??

After all ukiwa masikini huhitaji mapesa mengi hivyo mrahaba wa 3% unatutosha......hilo ndio fungu letu!!!!

Kilio cha kutaka huruma ni ishara ya UDHAIFU

Mimi namshauri Kigwangala atulie tu kama anayenyolewa vile. Hivyo vikao vya kichama ili kuweka misimamo wa pamoja watakuja kutambua kuwa walikuwa wakimfanyia mtu fulani tu aweze kujinufaisha yeye na familia yake. Yeye atabaki kijiweni tu kama sisi make akumbuke wenzake wanayo kinga.

Pole sana Bwana Kigwangala

Hello Hon. Kigwangala,
Congratulations for a well written letter. I have some few observations following your letter.
1. Have you ever seen the signed contract between the Ministry/Government of Tanzania
and the company
2. Do you know the policies and regulations that guide the operations of multinationals,
3. If not mistaken, I dare to discourage you that there is nothing to be done by the
company because you, and your party do not listen to other peoples views as far as
mining and multinationals are concerned.
4. If you do not mind just pm me and where possible write me an email, I can volunteer to
give you a documentary on the laid strategies on how to harvest the Natural resources
from Africa with very low costs, the documentary was
produced by WB and IMF staff
members
Hii hapa ndio kingereza safi. Kigwa bwana kingereza chake sio friendly kumsoma inaboa hata simuelewi!

Mh Kigwalagwala MPH MBA MD MP! Please hire an attorney who is going to proofreading for you and transform your local speech to a formal official letter. Dr K umechemsha na umejidhalilisha ku forward hotuba yako ambayo ina makosa mengi ya kiufundi, kisheria na kimuundo kwa Mh Rais Kikwete. Get some help

Thank you Mr.HK for being a proud member although you have not stated what are you prouding for. I found Tanzania a cheaper place to exploit resources than any other country in the World. Your rulling party gave me a great support during the preliminary stages of my investment. So I think these complains should have been adressed to your rulling party's higher authorities of decision making like your executive committees for clarification.

Kama tungejijengea desturi na utaratibu wa kuwapa wengine muda wa kuwasikiliza bila kuingiza itikadi hakika tungesonga mbele.

Wewe Kigwangala Dr. tunakufahamu ukiwa kwenye biashara ya kununua Pamba, na mizani zile za kuchakachua ili kuwaibia wakulima, sasa inakubidi ujipe muda wa kutafakari. Kama serikali yenu ingekuwa na usikivu na dhamira ya dhati tungeweza kuwapa techniques za jamaa wa Botswana, ni kwa nini wao mikataba yao ni mizuri na mapato yao ni makubwa. Juzi tumemsikia Prof. Muhongo akiwambia wana habari kuwa Uranium inaanza kuchimbwa Namtumbo karibuni. Sasa kama msingekuwa na maslahi binafsi mngewaita wanaharakati na watu wenye mawazo tofauti mkasikia mawazo yao.

Ninachojua, kwa hapa Tanzania wapo wataalamu wachache sana wa Nuclear Energy, labda Makamu wa Rais nashindwa kujua kwa nini yuko kimya bila kuwapa ukweli wa hatari inayoyakabili mazingira, watu, viumbe hao na mimea baada ya kuruhusu uchimbaji huo wa uranium. Life span ya mradi huo ni kama miaka kumi na mbili tu Mungu akiujalia uzima hawa wakubwa watasikiza muziki wake kwa vizazi na vizazi, nina Imani kuwa Mungu hatakubali kuwapa Rehema na Neema huko tutakako kuwa sote wakati huku mmeacha vizazi na vizazi vikiangamia kwa mionzi/Radiation.

Jitahidi kutafuta information ziko available kama ukizitaka ili uisaidie serikali yako.

Pole na usiku mwema Dr. K

Kiongozi mmoja (waziri wa madini) anashiriki kuunda sera ya madini, kiongozi huyo (waziri wa mambo ya nje) anatumika kuzunguka dunia nzima kualika kina Resolute, kisha kiongozi huyo anakuwa rais na kushangaa kwa nini sisi ni masikini na watanzania wanamsifia kuwa ni msikivu.....kama sio upuuzi ni nini??

After all ukiwa masikini huhitaji mapesa mengi hivyo mrahaba wa 3% unatutosha......hilo ndio fungu letu!!!!

Usimlaumu, Enzi hizo alikuwa anaalika ila kama kawa mikataba ni siri "Hivyo huenda hakuona kilichosainiwa kimekaaje" Au alijua mwanzo mwisho lakini leo ataongea nini mbele ya wananchi zaidi ya kuonyesha mshangao ili tuchukulie hakujua kilichoendelea.

Hata hivyo Kwa bara la Afrika alikuwepo mwanaume mmoja tu "Mungu amlaze pema" ndugu Gadaffi. Pamoja na mapungufu anayobebeshwa, nchini kwake alijitahidi walau mirahaba inufaishe raia wake. Baada ya kuanza kueneza sumu hiyo akiwa M/kiti wa ..... Afrika wajanja wakaona dawa ni kumpa mbwa jina baya ili atolewe.

Hiyo mirahaba ya 3% si bora hata wangeikusanya!!! si umeona jamaa anadai hata hiyo inaonekana haikulipwa.
Tangu lini mwenye nyumba anapangisha halafu katika kusaini mkataba wa kulipwa kodi yake anazubaa na kuja kudai alipwe wakati mpangaji amemaliza muda wake?
Hata hivyo nawapongeza viongozi wetu wanaoendelea kusimama mbele ya watanzania tena bila aibu na kutueleza kuwa uwekezaji unafaida na manufaa kwa watanzania hasa katika rasilimali Gesi, Mafuta na Madini. Vitu ambavyo wanapoondoka wanatuachia kiama katika maisha yetu yote kwa uharibifu wa mazingira na Afya zetu.

Pole Mheshimiwa wetu Kigwangalla na Natamani kukuona na kukusikia ukiendelea kukipongeza chama na serikali yake kwa kusimamia maslahi ya watanzania na kuwaletea maendeleo na kuendelea kukanusha maneno ya wapinzani na kukazia kuwa ni ya uchochezi.

Hii ni Speech au Letter? Ni malalamiko au maelezo? Ni ya kuomba kazi au Kuomba msaada? Aliyeandika ni google translator au Dr. Kingwangala au Dr Kingwangala? if so inabidi nianze kusoma kingoswe kabla sijaanza kusomea degree ya kwanza......No wonder aliachiwa kiti na Kaka mkuu...

None sense MP,the letter is too long for someone to remember what he ready in the first para when in the last para.

This was not to be classified as a letter but a presentation and table of content should have been in place.

I do not see anything that this desperate MP seeking personal audience to Mr.Ross who is surely not going to offer one.

Problems in the mining sector are structural issues,and his hopeless ccm and himself have failed if not refused to bring about the structural changes enough to get all these desperate whitemen in our country pay back the economic interests due to our country.

Thank you Mr.HK for being a proud member although you have not stated what are you prouding for. I found Tanzania a cheaper place to exploit resources than any other country in the World. Your rulling party gave me a great support during the preliminary stages of my investment. So I think these complains should have been adressed to your rulling party's higher authorities of decision making like your executive committees for clarification.

Good answer

Kama tungejijengea desturi na utaratibu wa kuwapa wengine muda wa kuwasikiliza bila kuingiza itikadi hakika tungesonga mbele.
Jitahidi kutafuta information ziko available kama ukizitaka ili uisaidie serikali yako.

Kuomba ushauri na kusikiliza wazawa ambao wako nje ya CCM ni kutaka maneno ya uchochezi "Kauli iliyoshika kasi kwa sasa" Na haiingii akilini kabisa kwamba hata hao walioko CCM hawajui hatari hizi, kwani zinaonekana hata bila vipimo. Ninachoamini wengi wao wanaangalia maslahi binafsi na wale wachache wenye uchungu wanazimwa na kunyamazishwa kwa kila namna.

HUWEZI KUNIAMINISHA LEO HATA MAKAMU WA RAIS AMBAYE NI MTAALAMU WA MAMBO YA NUCLEAR ETI HAJUI MADHARA YA URANIUM NA MADINI MENGINE NA JINSI NCHI YETU ILIVYOJIPANGA/UWEZO WAKE KUKABILIANA NA CHANGAMOTO ZAKE. YOTE HAYA WAYAJUA ILA WAMEAMUA KUKAA KIMYA.

MIWANI YA MBAO INAZIDI KUONGEZEKA UNENE, VINGINEVYO INGEFIKIA ZAMA WAKAJISIKIA HATA AIBU.

hey give us a break u frick boy! who are you realy lamenting to? resollute? CCM inoyojinadi nayo ndo iloyeingia hiyo mika bogus, ajabu nyie mliwapa haki 97% ya dhahabu ya wananzengo halafu unataka wakuonee huruma wakupe more than 3% mlijinyima haki mwenyewe kwa kwa hiyo mnastahili kupata hicho mlichochagua wewe na ccm yako na mananchi wa nzega, tena mshukuruni huyo rslt kwa kuwafayiea hata hayo machache ningekua mimi nisingeaogzea hata tsh1

Mh Kigwalagwala MPH MBA MD MP! Please hire an attorney who is going to proofreading for you and transform your local speech to a formal official letter. Dr K umechemsha na umejidhalilisha ku forward hotuba yako ambayo ina makosa mengi ya kiufundi, kisheria na kimuundo kwa Mh Rais Kikwete. Get some help
Wote vipofu
Atakaeona shimo nani?

Daktari,una wazo zuri,lakini umechemka sana tu.,msomi kama wewe sikutegemea grama yakn kuwa mbovu kiasi hichi.alafu hapo umemdhalilisha hadi rais na taifa zima,kwamba wamekuwa weak sana kuingia mikataba mibovu..alafu sijui we are all aware our women and men sijui bla bla nyiingi za nini daktari? Ebu jaribu kucheki na spellings zako pia mkuu

Back
Top Bottom