Hali tete Barrick Gold Mine huko Dominica

B.G TANTAWI

JF-Expert Member
Jul 3, 2013
Barrick gold shipment detained by Dominican Republic

Open

Engineers and technicians inspect Barrick’s Pueblo Viejo mining project in the Dominican Republic.

RAMON ESPINOSA/AP

REUTERS

MARCHMARCH 14, 2013

1 MIN READSEND TO MYSELF

Barrick Gold Corp., the world's largest gold miner, said on Thursday that a shipment of gold from its Pueblo Viejo mine in the Dominican Republic had been detained by customs officials in the Caribbean nation.

The delay comes just weeks after Dominican President Danilo Medina demanded that the company renegotiate its operating contract for the rich gold mine and threatened to clamp a windfall tax on profits if the contract was not modified.

Toronto-based Barrick said in a statement it was investigating the cause of the delay and seeking confirmation that the shipment can resume. It gave no further details.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

Fernando Fernandez, director of customs in the Dominican Republic, said the shipment was halted because of a problem with documentation.

"When it is resolved, the shipment will go out," he told reporters.

Pueblo Viejo, one of world's largest new gold projects, is jointly owned by Barrick and Canada's second largest gold miner, Goldcorp Inc.

On Feb. 27, in a speech marking the 169th anniversary of the Dominican Republic's independence, Mr. Medina said the terms of the contract with the two Canadian miners were unacceptable and demanded more benefits from the mine. The contract was negotiated before Mr. Medina took office last August.

The government is seeking a bigger share of profit from the project, which is expected to produce more than one million ounces a year over its first five years of full production.

Gold prices have climbed sharply in recent years, and that has led to a rise in public pressure on governments around the world to demand more benefits from mining companies, regardless of contracts already in place.

Barrick said it continues to talk with the Dominican Republic government and has long maintained a good working partnership with the country.

Pueblo Viejo recently achieved commercial production, with ramp-up to full production capacity expected in the second half of 2013. The mine cost some $3.7-billion (U.S.) to build.

Barrick's 60 per cent share of output this year is expected to be 500,000 ounces to 650,000 ounces, while Goldcorp's 40 per cent share is seen at between 330,000 and 435,000 ounces.

REPORT AN ERROR LICENSING OPTIONS

x

Newsletter

Please enter your email address below.

Your interest in this newsletter may be used by the Globe to deliver more relevant content, advertising and email promotions. You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up, you will be subject to our Terms and Conditions. See also our Privacy Policy and FAQs.

x

Success!

You are now subscribed to thenewsletter at your email address

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us atprivacy@globeandmail.com.

MORE ON THIS STORY

Goldcorp to stay focused on gold

Barrick to start mediation effort at Peru mine

Wiping clean the copper tarnish may restore shine at Barrick Subscriber

Why the bad big bets in mining are bad news for Canada's economy

Canadian mining writeoffs top $12-billion Subscriber

NEXT STORY

In Photos: Wildfires in Portugal sweep over roads trapping motorists

Halifax medical student found guilty of first-degree murder

Meet Robert Mueller: The 'unique' figure in Washington investigating Trump

Experts suspect banned building materials could be behind London fire

Andre De Grasse earns ‘emphatic’ 100m win at Stockholm Diamond League meeting

TRENDING

Why I’m driven against self-driving cars (and am turning into my dad)

Calgary voyeurism suspect faces new charges, police say

Science is still sexist. I know from my own experience

Don’t politicize a tragedy? Tell that to Grenfell residents

Forest fires in central Portugal kill more than 60 people

LATEST VIDEOS

Video: NBC stations pressed not to air segment with conspiracy theorist 1:35

Video: Some Cubans angry over Trump's policy reversal 1:26

Thousands protest after verdict in Philando Castile shooting case 1:11

France's Macron on course for historic landslide win 1:04

Vigil held for London fire victims as rage grows 1:45

HomeLifeNewsArtsOpinionSportsReport on BusinessTechnologyGlobe InvestorGlobe DriveReal EstateMy Watchlist

Online Help

Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Copyright 2017 The Globe and Mail Inc. All rights reserved

Try Globe Unlimited for just 99¢
per week for the first 4 weeks

Cli

Tunajikumbusha hali ilivyokuwa huko nyuma kwa kampuni hii,

Sisi wananchi tulilala mnoo, huko Dominica Public pressure ilisababisha serikali isikilize sauti za wananchi wake, hapa kwetu hadi tusubiri kiongozi mwenye uthubutu ndo achukue hatua????? kweli??
Hufatilii nchi,?watu walishapiga sana kelele kuhusu barrick

Barrick gold shipment detained by Dominican Republic

Open

Engineers and technicians inspect Barrick’s Pueblo Viejo mining project in the Dominican Republic.

RAMON ESPINOSA/AP

REUTERS

MARCHMARCH 14, 2013

1 MIN READSEND TO MYSELF

Barrick Gold Corp., the world's largest gold miner, said on Thursday that a shipment of gold from its Pueblo Viejo mine in the Dominican Republic had been detained by customs officials in the Caribbean nation.

The delay comes just weeks after Dominican President Danilo Medina demanded that the company renegotiate its operating contract for the rich gold mine and threatened to clamp a windfall tax on profits if the contract was not modified.

Toronto-based Barrick said in a statement it was investigating the cause of the delay and seeking confirmation that the shipment can resume. It gave no further details.

Fernando Fernandez, director of customs in the Dominican Republic, said the shipment was halted because of a problem with documentation.

"When it is resolved, the shipment will go out," he told reporters.

Pueblo Viejo, one of world's largest new gold projects, is jointly owned by Barrick and Canada's second largest gold miner, Goldcorp Inc.

On Feb. 27, in a speech marking the 169th anniversary of the Dominican Republic's independence, Mr. Medina said the terms of the contract with the two Canadian miners were unacceptable and demanded more benefits from the mine. The contract was negotiated before Mr. Medina took office last August.

The government is seeking a bigger share of profit from the project, which is expected to produce more than one million ounces a year over its first five years of full production.

Gold prices have climbed sharply in recent years, and that has led to a rise in public pressure on governments around the world to demand more benefits from mining companies, regardless of contracts already in place.

Barrick said it continues to talk with the Dominican Republic government and has long maintained a good working partnership with the country.

Pueblo Viejo recently achieved commercial production, with ramp-up to full production capacity expected in the second half of 2013. The mine cost some $3.7-billion (U.S.) to build.

Barrick's 60 per cent share of output this year is expected to be 500,000 ounces to 650,000 ounces, while Goldcorp's 40 per cent share is seen at between 330,000 and 435,000 ounces.

REPORT AN ERROR LICENSING OPTIONS

x

Newsletter

Please enter your email address below.

Your interest in this newsletter may be used by the Globe to deliver more relevant content, advertising and email promotions. You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up, you will be subject to our Terms and Conditions. See also our Privacy Policy and FAQs.

x

Success!

You are now subscribed to thenewsletter at your email address

You can unsubscribe from this newsletter or Globe promotions at any time by clicking the link at the bottom of the newsletter, or by emailing us atprivacy@globeandmail.com.

MORE ON THIS STORY

Goldcorp to stay focused on gold

Barrick to start mediation effort at Peru mine

Wiping clean the copper tarnish may restore shine at Barrick Subscriber

Why the bad big bets in mining are bad news for Canada's economy

Canadian mining writeoffs top $12-billion Subscriber

NEXT STORY

In Photos: Wildfires in Portugal sweep over roads trapping motorists

Halifax medical student found guilty of first-degree murder

Meet Robert Mueller: The 'unique' figure in Washington investigating Trump

Experts suspect banned building materials could be behind London fire

Andre De Grasse earns ‘emphatic’ 100m win at Stockholm Diamond League meeting

TRENDING

Why I’m driven against self-driving cars (and am turning into my dad)

Calgary voyeurism suspect faces new charges, police say

Science is still sexist. I know from my own experience

Don’t politicize a tragedy? Tell that to Grenfell residents

Forest fires in central Portugal kill more than 60 people

LATEST VIDEOS

Video: NBC stations pressed not to air segment with conspiracy theorist 1:35

Video: Some Cubans angry over Trump's policy reversal 1:26

Thousands protest after verdict in Philando Castile shooting case 1:11

France's Macron on course for historic landslide win 1:04

Vigil held for London fire victims as rage grows 1:45

HomeLifeNewsArtsOpinionSportsReport on BusinessTechnologyGlobe InvestorGlobe DriveReal EstateMy Watchlist

Online Help

Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Copyright 2017 The Globe and Mail Inc. All rights reserved

Try Globe Unlimited for just 99¢
per week for the first 4 weeks

Cli
Tafsiri Kiswahili ili kila mtu aelewe unachozungumzia. Samahani lakini.

Akina Zitto, Tundu walishaanza kuyaongelea haya kabla hata ya 2013. Hii ilikuwa ni habari ambayo pengine ingetuamsha na kuanza kuipitia upya mikataba yetu na hii kampuni inayoelekea kulaghai kila sehemu inapofanya biashara.

Akina Zitto, Tundu walishaanza kuyaongelea haya kabla hata ya 2013. Hii ilikuwa ni habari ambayo pengine ingetuamsha na kuanza kuipitia upya mikataba yetu na hii kampuni inayoelekea kulaghai kila sehemu inapofanya biashara.

Kila kwenye neema kuna fitna.

Ya kwetu ni madogo sana na tusiombee yakakuzwa kufikia laana ya mali.

Matokeo yanakuwa kama Iraq, Libya, Congo na hata ukifatilia vizuri vita ya wenyewe kwa wenyewe huko Angola. Na hapa kwetu yalitukuta kwa LONRHO, sakata la kuoneshana ubabe Nyerere na Tiny Rowlands (Unafikiri nani Aliumia? ).

Tukumbuke tu kuwa nchi za kimagharibi ukizinyima mgao wa mali hazikuwachi salama hata kidogo.

Wamesema wazi wazi "you're either with us or you are against us".

Tunapo deal nao tuwe makini sana na diplomasia ya hali ya juu. Huu uwekezaji wao makwetu una direct impact na economic ya makwao. Tazama board members wa Barrick utanielewa.

Kila kwenye neema kuna fitna.

Ya kwetu ni madogo sana na tusiombee yakakuzwa kufikia laana ya mali.

Matokeo yanakuwa kama Iraq, Libya, Congo na hata ukifatilia vizuri vita ya wenyewe kwa wenyewe huko Angola. Na hapa kwetu yalitukuta kwa LONRHO, sakata la kuoneshana ubabe Nyerere na Tiny Rowlands (Unafikiri nani Aliumia? ).

Tukumbuke tu kuwa nchi za kimagharibi ukizinyima mgao wa mali hazikuwachi salama hata kidogo.

Wamesema wazi wazi "you're either with us or you are against us".

Tunapo deal nao tuwe makini sana na diplomasia ya hali ya juu. Huu uwekezaji wao makwetu una direct impact na economic ya makwao. Tazama board members wa Barrick utanielewa.
Ni kweli, wenzetu wanaangalia maslahi yao, nasi pia tusizidi kuwa ndio mzee, hata sisi ni binadamu na tuna mahitaji. Hizi nchi ni walafi, sasa wanaotuwakilisha wakiwa na tamaa za kuhongwa, kwa kweli tutaangamia.
Naomba tufikie muafaka wa masuala haya, na hali isiwe mbaya kama Iraq, Libya n.k.

Barrick Group of Companies ni watu wahatar mnooo kwa dunia ya sasa na huko nyuma kwetu hapa watatupiga mdomo na tutatulia wanajuwa fitna za gem mnoo

Wanaakili sanaaa sio watu wakuwachukulia powa hata kidogo na ukienda tofauti na wao hawajawahi muacha mnafiki swalama

We only need to play very smart with care

Back
Top Bottom