Giant Crack in Africa Will Create a New Ocean

MaxShimba

JF-Expert Member
Apr 11, 2008

Mon Nov 2, 5:43 pm ET
A 35-mile rift in the desert of Ethiopia will likely become a new ocean eventually, researchers now confirm.

The crack, 20 feet wide in spots, opened in 2005 and some geologists believed then that it would spawn a new ocean. But that view was controversial, and the rift had not been well studied.

A new study involving an international team of scientists and reported in the journal Geophysical Research Letters finds the processes creating the rift are nearly identical to what goes on at the bottom of oceans, further indication a sea is in the region's future.

The same rift activity is slowly parting the Red Sea too.

Using newly gathered seismic data from 2005, researchers reconstructed the event to show the rift tore open along its entire 35-mile length in just days. Dabbahu, a volcano at the northern end of the rift, erupted first, then magma pushed up through the middle of the rift area and began "unzipping" the rift in both directions, the researchers explained in a statement today.

"We know that seafloor ridges are created by a similar intrusion of magma into a rift, but we never knew that a huge length of the ridge could break open at once like this," said Cindy Ebinger, professor of earth and environmental sciences at the University of Rochester and co-author of the study.

The result shows that highly active volcanic boundaries along the edges of tectonic ocean plates may suddenly break apart in large sections, instead of in bits, as the leading theory held. And such sudden large-scale events on land pose a much more serious hazard to populations living near the rift than would several smaller events, Ebinger said.

"The whole point of this study is to learn whether what is happening in Ethiopia is like what is happening at the bottom of the ocean where it's almost impossible for us to go," says Ebinger. "We knew that if we could establish that, then Ethiopia would essentially be a unique and superb ocean-ridge laboratory for us. Because of the unprecedented cross-border collaboration behind this research, we now know that the answer is yes, it is analogous."

The African and Arabian plates meet in the remote Afar desert of Northern Ethiopia and have been spreading apart in a rifting process - at a speed of less than 1 inch per year - for the past 30 million years. This rifting formed the 186-mile Afar depression and the Red Sea.

The thinking is that the Red Sea will eventually pour into the new sea in a million years or so. The new ocean would connect to the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, an arm of the Arabian Sea between Yemen on the Arabian Peninsula and Somalia in eastern Africa.

Atalay Ayele, professor at the Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia, led the investigation, gathering seismic data with help from neighboring Eritrea and Ghebrebrhan Ogubazghi, professor at the Eritrea Institute of Technology, and from Yemen with the help of Jamal Sholan of the National Yemen Seismological Observatory Center.

Source: Live Science

Junk science

This is simple plate tectonics per Alfred Wagner's Continental Drift theory.

Next thing you know Max will tell you it is the rapture coming to take god's people before the end of times in 2012 !

Indeed,there are cracks in the crust of the Earth. This is why testing nuclear bombs is so dangerous to us all. There are cracks in the Pacific Oceanic,you can read this in National Geographic.
Halafu,it is quite possible kwamba the many earthquakes that are happenning in India or China,have been caused by nuclear testing in the Nevada Desert au in Siberia.
Yaani,it is possible that China can blame the US and Russia for earthquakes that happen there. If that could be demonstrated to scientifically true,would we not have an angry China?
Also,we have to remember the global warming which happens because China and India do not want to cap their carbon dioxide emmision.

Indeed,there are cracks in the crust of the Earth. This is why testing nuclear bombs is so dangerous to us all. There are cracks in the Pacific Oceanic,you can read this in National Geographic.
Halafu,it is quite possible kwamba the many earthquakes that are happenning in India or China,have been caused by nuclear testing in the Nevada Desert au in Siberia.
Yaani,it is possible that China can blame the US and Russia for earthquakes that happen there. If that could be demonstrated to scientifically true,would we not have an angry China?
Also,we have to remember the global warming which happens because China and India do not want to cap their carbon dioxide emmision.

What the hell? Does anybody ever understand this guy?

"We know that seafloor ridges are created by a similar intrusion of magma into a rift, but we never knew that a huge length of the ridge could break open at once like this," said Cindy Ebinger, professor of earth and environmental sciences at the University of Rochester and co-author of the study.

Mkuu hii ni hatari. Thanks for your information.

Next thing you know Max will tell you it is the rapture coming to take god's people before the end of times in 2012 !

Why don't you do yourself a favor by keeping quite if you don't have a clue of what rapture is!

Why don't you do yourself a favor by keeping quite if you don't have a clue of what rapture is!

Nasikia jamaa kadai ana beef na huyo Max,

Jamaa anatia aibu kweli, Sasa karukia rapture, huyu ndio anasema ni mwana filosofia, kumbe ni mdini mtupu.

I wouldn't even elevate it to junk science, it is not even wrong.

I believe he heard you loud and clear. Some people are very funny, they got itchy fingers.

I just don't see any relation between the Giant Crack and the Rapture. Sometimes I wonder if truly these people do believe what they claim to follow.

Ganesh,

Anybody with the slightest understanding of plate tectonics must understand the formation of the East African Rift Valley and how the mentioned part of Africa is affected.

The thing is, the article does not show how different this is from the rest of the world. Tanzania will eventually become part of a huge island this is known for some time, the time scale is geological, likewise parts of California, specifically west of the San Andrean valley will be an island of the pacific.

Why don't you write in Swahili if you cannot master English?

I doubt you can comprehend the context of my meaning if you cannot grasp the difference between "quiet" and "quite" .

Mie nimesoma upuuzi huo wa rapture, front to back and back to front nikiwa na miaka 11.

I believe he heard you loud and clear. Some people are very funny, they got itchy fingers.

I just don't see any relation between the Giant Crack and the Rapture. Sometimes I wonder if truly these people do believe what they claim to follow.

Y'all can't take a sarcastic banter.

This is indeed part of plate tectonics per Alfred Wagners Continental drift theory.It is a known phenomenon since the 1920's at least.

As to the rapture bit, I was jiving with my friend Max, manake nimeshangaa kuona Max anaweka kitu ambacho hakijawa sanctioned na Pat Robertson. Ndiyo maana nika banter kwamba usije kukuta anaandaa theory ya kwamba rapture inatokea mbele ya macho yetu.

All those who believe in rapture, raise your hands!

Falsafa mmeshindwa kujibu maswali, sasa nikija na sarcasm mtanilaumu?

Y'all can't take a sarcastic banter.

This is indeed part of plate tectonics per Alfred Wagners Continental drift theory.It is a known phenomenon since the 1920's at least.

As to the rapture bit, I was jiving with my friend Max, manake nimeshangaa kuona Max anaweka kitu ambacho hakijawa sanctioned na Pat Robertson. Ndiyo maana nika banter kwamba usije kukuta anaandaa theory ya kwamba rapture inatokea mbele ya macho yetu.

All those who believe in rapture, raise your hands!

Falsafa mmeshindwa kujibu maswali, sasa nikija na sarcasm mtanilaumu?

I am not JESUS CHRIST, inter-alia, the 700 Club Man.

Just tell us what is happening to the earth, ni evolution nyingine au la. Do you believe in cracks?

Why don't you write in Swahili if you cannot master English?

I doubt you can comprehend the context of my meaning if you cannot grasp the difference between "quiet" and "quite" .

Mie nimesoma upuuzi huo wa rapture, front to back and back to front nikiwa na miaka 11.

Just a typo. lol

I am not JESUS CHRIST, inter-alia, the 700 Club Man.

Just tell us what is happening to the earth, ni evolution nyingine au la. Do you believe in cracks?

I don't believe in believing, do you know how to read? How about searching? What part of the below quote is not clear? Or are you not familiar with "Continental Drift" and "Plate Tectonics" ?

I don't believe in believing, do you know how to read? How about searching? What part of the below quote is not clear? Or are you not familiar with "Continental Drift" and "Plate Tectonics" ?

According to darwin, you are a savage. That is why you don't know a thing.

According to darwin, you are a savage. That is why you don't know a thing.

In defence of savages the world round,

Yeah, I am not only a savage, but a vulnerable Visigoth-like Vandal veiled in vivaciously vicious viscous vibes of Viking vanity.

Thats because I have very high standards. I am a savage like that relative to my aspirations.

Why, if I wasn't a savage I wouldn't even try to reason with you.

He who knows, knows that he knows not.

He who is slightly enlightened, knows that he is but a savage.

The self proclaiming noble is the most comedic of savages.

Are you a savage or not?

Darwin wrote: "I could not have believed how wide was the difference between savage and civilized man; it is greater than between a wild and domesticated animal . . .

bluray you are a savage.

Darwin wrote: "I could not have believed how wide was the difference between savage and civilized man; it is greater than between a wild and domesticated animal . . .

bluray you are a savage.

I am afraid you don't know how to read and irredeemably prone to habitual chronic purposelessness.

When I look at Betelgeuse, and the wave-particle duality of the electromagnetic waves and subatomic particles, the 11 spatial dimensions of string theory, the singularity at the ground zero of the big bang, the fabric of the space-time continuum, the symmetry of natural phenomena, the irreversible entropy of closed systems, the up to now irreversible arrow of time, the instantaneous faster than light action at a distance spookiness of twin particles, the sheer size of the universe, the nature of consciousness, the curvature of space and it's result in gravity, the quantum nature of Schrodinger's cat, the appearance and disappearance of virtual particles and many more interesting phenomena like these.

I habe no option but to acknowledge that I am but a savage.

Back
Top Bottom