Former KANU hawk, Joseph Kamotho passes on...R.I.P.

Ab-Titchaz

JF-Expert Member
Jan 30, 2008
Former KANU strong man JJ Kamotho is dead

josephkamotho.png

Saturday, December 6, 2014 - 00:00 -- BY STAR REPORTER

Former powerful Kanu secretary general and political veteran Joseph Kamotho has died, his son has confirmed. His son did not give more details but it is believed Kamotho died at a South African hospital after battling with kidney failure and high blood pressure for a long time.

The former Kanu strong man has been in and out of hospital a number of times. In 2013 he had planned to run for the Murang'a senate seat but lost Kembi Gitura and was admitted at Nairobi hospital. Kamotho was in a semi-coma state for one month after collapsing in Muranga during a public rally. A family source then said Kamotho's health deteriorated after he lost in his bid for Murang'a county Senate seat.

"I can confirm to you that Mzee is sick and he is current in a Nairobi hospital where he has been admitted for the last one month," said the source then.

Kamotho has been in and out of hospital for the last few years. The former Education minister has kept off the limelight after the March 4 general election.

He was spotted last at Nokras Hotel where his campaign team had assembled during the voting day. In September 2012 Kamotho collapsed during a charged political rally at Ihura stadium in Murang'a. The former minister fell ill after the crowd prevailed upon him to declare support for President Uhuru Kenyatta which declined. He collapsed at the dias and was supported to come down from the dias. He was a strong supporter of former President Daniel Arap Moi.

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/former-kanu-strong-man-jj-kamotho-dead#sthash.ah9OPFyA.dpuf

Hawa jamaa na wenzake akina biwott waliua saana enzi zile he should then rest in hell...

Hawa jamaa na wenzake akina biwott waliua saana enzi zile he should then rest in hell...

Dunia hii ina mambo, hakuna cha ubabe wala nini, mwisho wa siku kila mtu ataingia ardhini.

Leaders eulogise hawkish Joseph Kamotho as a steadfast and shrewd Kanu adherent

JJ071214.jpg

Joseph Kamotho kneels before former President Daniel Moi during a political rally in 1999.

By PSCU and DPSCU

Updated Sunday, December 7th 2014 at 00:00 GMT +3

President Uhuru Kenyatta has sent his message of condolences to the family, relatives and friends of former Cabinet Minister John Joseph Kamotho, who died on Friday in South Africa. The President said he is deeply saddened by the death of a man he described as a "selfless political legend". He described him as an amiable and extremely pleasant person.

For more than five decades, said the President, Kamotho gave exemplary service to the people of Kenya both as a civil servant and a politician. He was a true believer in our national values, and his energy, commitment and loyalty were beyond doubt. His rich legacy will live on.

"It was because of his outstanding leadership that former President Moi appointed him the Higher Education Minister in 1979. Later, he was appointed Minister for Transport, Education, Trade, Environment and Local Government," said Uhuru.

Kamotho was also one of the longest serving secretary generals of Kanu, having occupied the post from 1989 to 2002. President Kenyatta said Kamotho was instrumental in building Kanu into a formidable party that united Kenyans.

Kamotho started his political career in 1974 when he was elected Kangema MP. In 1997, the constituency was split and Kamotho elected Mathioya MP in 2002.

Former President Daniel Arap Moi said he had learnt of the death with deep sorrow and a profound sense of loss. "Besides politics, Kamotho was a personal friend for many years. In politics he was an energetic, thoughtful and an indefatigable public servant and a man who contributed immensely in making Kanu a robust system in the service of the people," he said.

See also: They have proved us right, say MPs

The former president noted that Kamotho was dedicated in serving Kenyans in the Civil Service, as MP for Kangema and Mathioya and as a Cabinet Minister in various ministries. Moi prayed to God to give the bereaved family necessary fortitude to bear the loss.

"The country has lost a man who gave his all while serving Kenyans in different capacities. I pray that God give his family necessary fortitude to bear the loss," said Moi.

Deputy President William Ruto also condoled with the family and said he was saddened by the passing of Kamotho, a patriot, friend, brother and colleague.

"I saw him three weeks ago in hospital in South Africa and it was my fervent hope then that he would recover and return home," said Ruto.

He said Kamotho's legend in Kenya's politics speaks for itself because he was perhaps the most unforgettable political party administrator. "I was to serve in the same seat he once held and I doubt I even came close to matching him in stamina and energy."

Ruto applauded his years of public service as a legislator, and Cabinet minister and recounted how he was a passionate, indefatigable and forthright operator.

Standard Digital News - Kenya : Leaders eulogise hawkish Joseph Kamotho as a steadfast and shrewd Kanu adherent

Back
Top Bottom