Foreign investor in racism row: "the work was never done"

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
Foreign investor in racism row

THISDAY REPORTER
Dar es Salaam

A SOUTH African investor involved in a multi-million dollar project involving the construction of luxury lodges in the Selous Game Reserve, is at the centre of a racism row that has left the development of the key tourism project reeling in crisis.

Roland Vincent is accused of uttering racist slurs against Tanzanians, including a senior official of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism which oversees the country’s tourism sector.

The South African, currently overseeing the construction of the Malala luxury lodges in the Selous, is alleged to have referred to local Tanzanians as ’’black monkeys’’, and is accused of other racial slurs and bias.

A senior official with the tourism ministry who allegedly suffered racist verbal abuse from Vincent officially reported the matter to the management of Sea Cliff Hotel in Dar es Salaam, which is the main company behind the development of the luxury lodges in the Selous.

When contacted by THISDAY, Sea Cliff Hotel General Manager Keven Stander confirmed that formal complaints against Vincent’s reported racist slurs have been made.

Stander said the hotel’s board of directors has already ’’cautioned’’ Vincent about his alleged racist behaviour.

’’I cannot comment on additional racist remarks because I spend very little time in the camp sites where Mr Vincent is supervising construction and overseeing the labour force,’’ he added.

Among other things, Vincent, who is also one of the Sea Cliff Hotel directors, is accused of mistreating and harassing the company’s workers in the Selous project.

Several of them, claiming to have been victimised by his allegedly racist abuse, have said he even forces local workers to ’’stand up whenever he passes by.’’

They claim that Vincent has been promoting a ’’master-slave mentality’’, and even refuses to give workers permission to attend funerals.

One member of the company’s local staff, speaking on condition of not being named for fear of retribution from Vincent, told THISDAY in an interview this week: ’’We have made formal complaints against this man (Vincent) to the company management since September or October last year, but nothing has been done. He continues to abuse Tanzanians in our own land with incessant racist slurs.’’

When contacted for comment, Vincent himself told THISDAY he was currently on a business trip to Dubai, but hastened to dismiss the allegations of his being a racist.

’’I am not happy about these allegations directed at me, which are untrue and vindictive,’’ he said.

’’I must tell you that I am not a racist some of my best friends in Dar are black people and therefore these types of comments are very unfair. In fact, if anything, I look after my staff better than anyone in the Selous,’’ Vincent added.

Wabongo wavivu wa kufanya kazi. wakimpata Mzungu anayewafuatilia wanaanza chokochoko

Nchi IMEUZWA KWA MKABURU!
NANI HAYAJUI MATATIZO YA WANA APOLO HUKO MERERANI AMBAO WALIKUWA WANANYANYASWA NA MKABURU WA SOUTH AFRIKA ANAYEWAPIGA RISASI NA KUCHOTA MADINI YAO TOKA IWE SAMAX?

Mnakumbuka kipindi wana apolo walivyokuwa wakitesa kwa pesa zao!?

Badala ya kuwauzia makaburu migodi yetu...Tungehakikisha wachimbaji wadogo wadogo wanapewa haki zao na jamii zinazoizunguka migodi hiyo pia ziwe na barabara safi, maji safi, madawa na hospitali na huduma muhimu za jamii na huku wakieleweshwa unuhimu wa kuzitumia pesa zao vizuri!

Nani amesahahu ASKOFU ALIYECHOTA MAMILIONI NA KUBANWA NA MKAPA MARA BAADA YA KUMPA SAPOTI MREMA?

Usalama wa TAIFA NDIO HUO WA KUMPA MKABURU NCHI ILI UWEZE KUJILINDA DHIDI YA WAZAWA?

Mnajuwa hata barabara ya KIA MERERANI ILIVYO MBOVU LICHA YA KWAMBA NI ARDHI YOTE IMEUZWA KWA MKABURU NA WANANCHI KUPOTEZA UHURU WAO HUKU WAKILETEWA MADWA YA UKIMWI NA NETI ZA MBU?

NB:NANI ASIYEJUWA KUWA HATA HIZO HOTELI WEUSI HAWARUHUSIWI? MMESAHAU VILIO VYA WANA BONGO FLAVA..RAY C NA AY?

Wabongo wavivu wa kufanya kazi. wakimpata Mzungu anayewafuatilia wanaanza chokochoko

FairPlayer, nakubaliana nawe kuwa wabongo wengi ni wavivu na wasio na maadili ya kazi. Lakini kama wanaonesha tabia hizi kwenye kazi ya mtu ni muhimu waadhibiwe kulingana na hukumu zihusianazo na uzembe au tabia kama hizo na si vingenevyo. Matusi ya kibaguzi wa rangi hayasaidii na hayafai achiliambali kukubalika.

Kama kweli mzungu huyo alinena maneno hayo, naye aadhibiwe kwa kosa lake hilo kwa kufata sheria zilizopo.

Hata hivyo kwa yale uliyosema, tunaweza kujikumbusha kimoja kikubwa; nacho ni kwamba, mjerumani aliwachapa viboko mababu zetu ili kujenga reli ya kati, nina amini kabisa kuwa bila kufanya hivyo hadi leo hii tusingekuwa na reli ya kati (tungeishia kununua mashangingi kwa ajili ya mabarabara yetu mabovu- i wish they did so with the roads too)!!!!! Hapa wawezasema kuwa miye naunga mkono watu kuchapwa viboko kwa uvivu kuliko kufananishwa na nyani!!! Just me... sorry if i have offended others....

Naona ametamka yafuatayo:

I must tell you that I am not a racist some of my best friends in Dar are black people and therefore these types of comments are very unfair. In fact, if anything, I look after my staff better than anyone in the Selous,
Hapa anasahau kuwa kuna maracist ambao wameoa hata kwenye familia za wenye rangi wanazozipinga na kuzikashifu... itakuwa marafiki?! Na wengi ya ma racist nilishaona huwa wanatumia huu usemi as an excuse to a particular event to which they were solely responsible.

SteveD.

Hapa anasahau kuwa kuna maracist ambao wameoa hata kwenye familia za wenye rangi wanazozipinga na kuzikashifu... itakuwa marafiki?!

Achilia mbali kuoa. Wapo self-hating racists vile vile. Na hii ndio hatari zaidi maana hata mbaguzi akisipokuwepo wewe unaendelea kujisuta kwa rangi yako. Wanasema hakuna dhambi mbaya unayoweza kufanya kama kumfundisha mtu kujichukia. Kuna watu, kwa kushindwa kuelewa sababu za matatizo yao, wameishia kujichukia. Ni complex moja iko hideous mno, mno.

Makaburu bwanaa... ukiwafurumusha kama zimbabwe umewaonea ukishawasamee kwa mabaya yao yote waliofanyaa wanakuita "Black Monkey"... hawa watu hawafaii kabisaaa wako very bitter in most cases...

Actually making a big deal out of being called "black monkeys" by some Boer is a sure sign of inferiority complex. Think about that for a second. Why not call him "white monkey" in return? Is it because deep down you believe he is not or he could never be a "white monkey"? You see, the only reason being called "black monkey" would sting anyone is because of inferiority complex. The person truly believes this is true and it stings him or her so bad. I can't believe this incident is now a "row" and has made national news.

Actually making a big deal out of being called "black monkeys" by some Boer is a sure sign of inferiority complex. Think about that for a second. Why not call him "white monkey" in return? Is it because deep down you believe he is not or he could never be a "white monkey"? You see, the only reason being called "black monkey" would sting anyone is because of inferiority complex. The person truly believes this is true and it stings him or her so bad. I can't believe this incident is now a "row" and has made national news.

The Truth, Once more you really compel me to pounce hard on you. Trivializing everything we try to say and discuss, just because we happen to be black africans and you are not. Little you forget the whole of India went ape-shape berserk when the actress Shilpa Shetty was referred to as 'shilpa poppodom' by that silly girl, Jade Goody in a big brother show that took place in England (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6687091.stm).

Today if i'm to refer a Pakistan man as a 'pak', that would be a grossly racial offense to him/her. And that happens to be only short for Pakistan.... Now a white man referred to a black person as a black monkey, you jump in to brush aside our disapproval of that racial slurs and myopically unashamed you pitching that rejecting so is sheer acceptance of inferiority complex.... how dare you!! Please, have respect sometimes.

SteveD.

Ingekuwa enzi za JKN huyu angepewa tiketi ya njia moja nyumbani. (One-way ticket)

The Truth, Once more you really compel me to pounce hard on you. Trivializing everything we try to say and discuss, just because we happen to be black africans and you are not. Little you forget the whole of India went ape-shape berserk when the actress Shilpa Shetty was referred to as 'shilpa poppodom' by that silly girl, Jade Goody in a big brother show that took place in England (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6687091.stm).

Today if i'm to refer a Pakistan man as a 'pak', that would be a grossly racial offense to him/her. And that happens to be only short for Pakistan.... Now a white man referred to a black person as a black monkey, you jump in to blush aside our disapproval of that racial slurs and myopically unashamed you pitching that rejecting so is sheer acceptance of inferiority complex.... how dare you!! Please, have respect sometimes.

SteveD.

I didn't go "ape-shape beserk" over the Shilpa episode neither did anyone else I know. Do you think what some double digit IQ British idiot says or calls an Indian princess on some silly TV show would bother me? No! In fact you can call me all the racial epithets in the book and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over any of them. Why? Because I don't suffer from an inferiority complex nor do I have a victim mentality. I repeat the only reason being called a "black monkey" by some Boer would bother you that much is if you believe in its validity. In other words you have an inferiority complex. Now if the Boer was violent or hindering on the performance of the workers, that's a different story.

I didn't go "ape-shape beserk" over the Shilpa episode neither did anyone else I know. Do you think what some double digit IQ British idiot says or calls an Indian princess on some silly TV show would bother me? No! In fact you can call me all the racial epithets in the book and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over any of them. Why? Because I don't suffer from an inferiority complex nor do I have a victim mentality. I repeat the only reason being called a "black monkey" by some Boer would bother you that much is if you believe in its validity. In other words you have an inferiority complex. Now if the Boer was violent or hindering on the performance of the workers, that's a different story.
Nilifikiri utasema la maana kutetea point yako... umerudia kule kule "mimi sikusema na hayanihusu".....

You - not being the one that went ape shape mad don't mean that some didn't. Indirectly you approve but doltishly you trying to circumvent the issue by also barring your friends from involvement. I don't know, but may be you are just proving a self-hate here... the fact that you or your friends didn't go mad, don't mean that there weren't some Indian people who were offended by the incident, in fact millions took to the streets to protest. Since you were not there then the matter didn't happen and is insignificant to you, well inferentially it didn't, but to only unknown few "million" who could be low IQ Indian people protested... since only low IQ people do protest according to you, again by inference!!

Now this issue about 'black monkey', it is not me who got called that... But i believe i have the right to defend others who take offense when are referred to as such. In a way, though i am not, just like a lawyer who happens not to be directly affected but is there to defend a victim of being called 'pak'. And that is what we do here on discussion forums.... have you forgotten? Yes we discuss matters pertaining to our society. If you don't discuss issues that happen to India that is you and your unpatriotic self..... daaaaym, no wonder you have a rife class system!!

Baadae.

The Truth will always prevail. Thanks SteveD

Richard Gere Kisses Shilpa Shetty, Gets Burnt Alive

April 17th, 2007 at 13:00 by Stuart Heritage

Hecklerspray is sad. We've been around for a couple of years now, and not once has a single Indian constructed a crude effigy of us and burnt it on the streets - we wouldn't mind, but it seems like we're the last people on Earth to have this done to us.

Perhaps we should hang out with Shilpa Shetty some more, since everyone who Shilpa even glances at will inevitably have a rudimentary representation of them made by an angry Indian who'll burn it on the streets in front of the global media. First Jade Goody got the Shilpa Shetty burning effigy treatment, and now it's the turn of Richard Gere - who earnt all of his Indian burning effigies by daring to kiss Shilpa Shetty in the name of charity. The dirty godless fucking bastard.

There's a level of craftsmanship in Indian angry mobs that you just don't get in this country. Mobilise any kind of angry mob in the UK and you'll be lucky if they manage to daub the word 'paedophile' in shoe polish correctly on the child's dirty bedspread they call a banner. Enrage an Indian, however, and they'll go home and painstakingly construct a remarkably lifelike little statue of you out of wicker so that they can take it onto the street, burn it and shriek about how they want you dead. We should be so lucky to have angry mobs that are as proficient as their angry mobs.

Indians are a notoriously peaceful people. Gandhi was Indian and Yoga - as in 'the use of meditation as a path to self-knowledge and liberation' and not 'wearing a leotard and putting your bum in the air' - was invented there. But get an Indian angry and, boy, do they ever get angry - just ask Liz Hurley's father-in-law or Angelina Jolie's bodyguards.

Or, more relevantly, ask Shilpa Shetty. During the Celebrity Big Brother racism hoo-ha earlier in the year, Indian's famously reacted to Jade Goody referring to someone called 'Shilpa Fuckawallah' by making little effigies of Jade and burning them on the streets. Which was fair enough, since a) it showed the world that casual racism would not be tolerated and b) Jade Goody is a bit of an arsehole.

But even though Shilpa Shetty has gone on to do great things after winning Celebrity Big Brother, like eating a pudding named after her with some MPs and wondering why she hasn't got a boyfriend, it doesn't mean that she can go around doing anything she likes. That includes letting Richard Gere kiss her during a fundraising event in New Delhi, because Richard Gere did kiss Shilpa Shetty during a fundraising event in New Delhi on Sunday, and it left Indians with no choice but to start angrily burning effigies again, as BBC News reports:

Demonstrators in Mumbai (Bombay) set light to effigies of the Hollywood star, while protesters in other cities shouted "death to Shilpa Shetty". The protesters said Gere insulted Indian culture by kissing the hand and face of the Bollywood actress. Public displays of affection and sex are still largely taboo in India. Shetty downplayed the incident, saying "it was not so obscene… This was not such a big thing for people to over-react in such a manner."

With all of this wanton effigy-burning following any movement that Shilpa Shetty makes, we're just pleased that it was the Queen who met Shilpa on Commonwealth Day and not Prince Harry. If a simple kiss from a Hollywood actor can cause so much upset, just imagine how many burning effigies a tittygrope from a ginger boy would inspire.

They claim that Vincent has been promoting a ''master-slave mentality'', and even refuses to give workers permission to attend funerals.

Nadhani hapa ndipo penye matatizo. Mgongano wa mila. Sisi kwetu unategemewa kujihusisha kikamilifu kwenye msiba wowote unaotokea jirani. Si kuzika tu bali na kulala matanga. Wenzetu hawawezi kuelewa umuhimu wa mtu kwenda kukaa, kuwafariji wafiwa na kulala chini kwa siku kadhaa ati kwa sababu marehemu alikuwa jirani yake. Wakituzuia au wakituambia tuende huko bila kulipwa anaonekana mbaya! Hii, pamoja na time honoured tradition ya kutembelewa na ndugu na marafiki sehemu zetu za kazi ambapo inabidi uache yote umhudumie na umsindikize ili asije akajikwaa! Na nyingine nyingi. Pengine inabidi hawa wageni wanapokuja wapewe ka semina kidogo kuelezwa hali halisi.

Kinachonishangaza kingine ni kwa nini hawa wanoko wanatumia tusi hilo hilo; black monkeys! Au ni uvivu wao wa kufikiri!

Truth, kukasirika unapotukanwa si kuwa mtu ana inferiority complex. On the contrary.

Nilifikiri utasema la maana kutetea point yako... umerudia kule kule "mimi sikusema na hayanihusu".....

You - not being the one that went ape shape mad don't mean that some didn't. Indirectly you approve but doltishly you trying to circumvent the issue by also barring your friends from involvement. I don't know, but may be you are just proving a self-hate here... the fact that you or your friends didn't go mad, don't mean that there were some Indian people who were offended by the incident, in fact millions took to the streets to protest. Since you were not there then the matter didn't happen and is significant to you, well inferentially.

Yeah, the offended Indians suffer from the same problem as many other do. That is inferiority complex over the Brits! Although I have not seen any evidence that majority of Indians were offended by the show. Millions of protesters out of a population of over a billion as India has mean very little. Me being among those who didn't protest does not suggest self hate. It simply suggest inferiority complex free mentality. The same way if you walk up to a Boer tomorrow and call him or her a "white monkey" he or she would probably not have similar reaction nor feel like a victim. Why?

Now this issue about 'black monkey', it is not me who got called that... But i believe i have the right to defend others who take offense when are referred to as such. In a way, though i am not, just like a lawyer who happens not to be directly affected but is there to defend a victim of being called 'pak'. And that is what we do here on discussion forums.... have you forgotten? Yes we discuss matters pertaining to our society. If you don't discuss issues that happen to India that is you and your unpatriotic self.

Baadae.

You have the right to defend or discuss anything you choose. What I am pointing out is anyone who gets offended or feel "victimized" over being called a monkey of any color has some serious inferiority complex issues. For that "slur" to sting anyone that much to a point of feeling like a victim, demonstrates to me that the targeted person deep down believes it is true.

Yeah, the offended Indians suffer from the same problem as many other do. That is inferiority complex over the Brits! Although I have not seen any evidence that majority of Indians were offended by the show. Millions of protesters out of a population of over a billion as India has mean very little. Me being among those who didn't protest does not suggest self hate. It simply suggest inferiority complex free mentality. The same way if you walk up to a Boer tomorrow and call him or her a "white monkey" he or she would probably not have similar reaction nor feel like a victim. Why?

You have the right to defend or discuss anything you choose. What I am pointing out is anyone who gets offended or feel "victimized" over being called a monkey of any color has some serious inferiority complex issues. For that "slur" to sting anyone that much to a point of feeling like a victim, demonstrates to me that the targeted person deep down believes it is true.

I have refreshed my statement above... but the truth remains, a few million Indians protesting don't mean anything to you... why? Cause you couldn't care less of being a proud Indian - or may be... may be you're not in the same class "as them"... again by inference!!

I have refreshed my statement above... but the truth remains, a few million Indians protesting don't mean anything to you... why? Cause you couldn't care less of being a proud Indian - or may be... may be you're not in the same class "as them"... again by inference!!

I think I have already answered this question. But I'll repeat my answer, I have inferiority complex free mentality. In other words I don't suffer from the same inferiority complex over the Brits as the Indians who protested. It is an inferiority complex that makes names or slurs sting the targeted person.

Try this one little experiment for me Steve, next time you are upset with a Boer or even an Indian just call him a monkey of a color of your choice e.g. White monkey, Brown monkey etc. See if that causes a row of any kind. If not then ask yourself why that is the case...

I think I have already answered this question. But I'll repeat my answer, I have inferiority complex free mentality. In other words I don't suffer from the same inferiority complex over the Brits as the Indians who protested. It is an inferiority complex that makes names or slurs sting the targeted person.

Try this one little experiment for me Steve, next time you are upset with a Boer or even an Indian just call him a monkey of a color of your choice e.g. White monkey, Brown monkey etc. See if that causes a row of any kind. If not then ask yourself why that is the case...

Hey... little privy about me... my 2 best friends are Indians! Just to let you know...and funny thing, i have showed'em some of your remarks here at JF when we had problems with the site.... as i spent much of my time trying to resolve some questions raised that evening and they were trying to convince me join them for a drink! They are people I trust and I have a lot in common with .. they've called me names worse than that, but everything was and has been in context!
Now, we're here discussing about a group of people who took offense as employees for being compared to black monkeys, it's likely that it is true that they might have been lazy or they might have been unwilling to work... nevertheless, they took offense for that name calling just like the 'million' Indians who took it to the street when the beautiful Shilpa got racialy abused... But to you everything is about IQ as if all people of Pakistan who happen to take offense when called 'pak' suffer from inferiority complex....

Puuuulizi punguza madawa na dharau kwa race za wenzako mkuu!

.... one more thing, if you happened to watch any of the recent ended football matches for UEFA 2008, you could have seen some anti-racial declarations at the beginning of each match... millions watched and millions of people are in support of campaigns against racism. the backdrop of all these are monkey noises that stem out of ignorance and are nonsensically verbalized by few fanatics towards black players. i assume you are into cricket, if not you would excuse me... but recently, there have been rows between Australia and Pakistan if am not mistaken, this all is due to racial issues.... so are you really trying to tell me that racism or any feel of being disregarded or racially abused only exist in people with inferiority complex mind?! come on.... be serious for one moment pls!!

Acha kupotosha hapa wewe.

Mweupe hawezi kukasirika kuitwa Nyani kuliko Mweusi anavyoweza kukasirika kwa sababu kwa mweusi ni tusi lenye historia.

Mweusi aliwahi kufanywa mtwana, mtu wa daraja la pili, mtumwa, mchapwa bakora, mkolonishwa, boi, mnyama, chini ya mtu.

Nyani.

Ndio maana ni tusi.

Acha kurusha vijiwe visivyokuwa vya kweli.

Una ma complex yanakusumbua, huko kwa Wazungu hukubaliki unakuja kwenye tovuti za Waafrika. Wewe si unasema Waafrika hatuna akili kwa sababu hatuna IQ, sasa unatafuta nini hapa kwenye tovuti ya watu wasio na akili, kama sio kutaka kukera watu kwa sababu una complex inakuumiza?

Na hata hujui kwamba IQ haipimi akili. Wanaoandika jaribio la IQ wanasema kama inapima chochote basi ni uelewa wa ufahamu wa mambo, elimu, maisha na mazingira ya Kimagharibi. Utalinganishaje upeo wa mtu aliyekulia katika jamii yenye mapinduzi ya habari na mtu aliyekulia kwenye agrarian society?

Kama unataka kukosoa wisdom ya jinsi Waafrika tunavyooendesha nchi zetu na institutions zetu kwa ujumla kuna namna ya kuwasilisha huo ujumbe lakini sio kusema jumla jumla eti hatuna IQ kwa hiyo tuko chini ya Wazungu.

Acha kusema yasiyo ya kweli.

Guys niliwaambia kuhusu huyu THE SO CALLED TRUTH MKABISHA!
Huyu ndiyo mwana inteligensia wa kaburu nini?
Maana yeye kila siku anamsapoti nyani Ngabu tu huku akitaka tuamini sisi ni MADUNYA NA BILA WAO HATUWEZI KUJIAMULIA MAMBO!
Jamani UTUMWA USHAISHA na sasa waafrika tuachieni AFRIKA YETU!

Back
Top Bottom