Fight against COVID-19: Let's be fair towards the likes of Donald Trump, Uhuru Kenyatta, Cyril Ramaphosa, etc

M-mbabe

JF-Expert Member
Oct 29, 2009
Don't get me wrong. Trump is not my cup of tea.....my opinion is that he could probably be the worst president the US has hitherto ever had (but that's the funeral for Americans, not me).

It's a well documented fact that on a world scale, the US appears to be the most hit by the corona-virus both in terms of total number of infections and deaths.

At a continental level, South Africa tops the list while in the EAC block Kenya is leading on those unwanted COVID-19 stats.

But there are reasons why the COVID-19 stats appear to be unfavourable in those 3 countries, mainly:

1) Transparency in revealing data to the world:
People tend to forget that keeping mum on something that has happened or is happening doesn't necessarily mean the thing doesn't exist. We call this "ostrichism idiocy". There are many countries which fall into this category especially in Africa - am going to name no names here!

2) Mass testing
Do you know the old adage that says "an employee who does a lot of work is prone to making mistakes risking to be fired/demoted while an idling employee makes zero mistakes and can get promoted"?
You know where am leading to, right?

For one, Trump has been arguing - and on this I fully support him unless it's scientifically proven otherwise - that the US appears to have those unwanted COVID-19 stats because they are doing a lot of testing.
If a country tests 1,000 people it's likely to get 50 positive cases (5%) for example. Conversely, if a country tests 10 people it's likely to get 2 positive cases (20%). You see? At this juncture, you may find a country somewhere in Africa basking in glory while ridiculing the US. This is the idiocy of the highest calibre.

My opinion is... in order to make a case against/for the likes of Trump, Uhuru & Ramaphosa I would always apply simple science or maths as indicated below...

- Determine the proportion (%) of people being tested: i.e a number of tested people vs the country's population
- Determine the proportion (%) of positive cases: i.e a number of positive cases vs a number of tested people
- Determine the proportion (%) of fatality: i.e a number of deaths vs a number of tested people

A parting shot: let's always remain fair to others. We have to avoid being driven by those stereotypical and lopsided un-researched opinions.

Am done!

Don't get me wrong. Trump is not my cup of tea.....my opinion is that he could probably be the worst president the US has hitherto ever had (but that's the funeral for Americans, not me).

It's a well documented fact that on a world scale, the US appears to be the most hit by the corona-virus both in terms of total number of infections and deaths.

At a continental level, South Africa tops the list while in the EAC block Kenya is leading on those unwanted COVID-19 stats.

But there are reasons why the COVID-19 stats appear to be unfavourable in those 3 countries, mainly:

1) Transparency in revealing data to the world:
People tend to forget that keeping mum on something that has happened or is happening doesn't necessarily mean the thing doesn't exist. We call this "ostrichism idiocy". There are many countries which fall into this category especially in Africa - am going to name no names here!

2) Mass testing
Do you know the old adage that says "an employee who does a lot of work is prone to making mistakes risking to be fired/demoted while an idling employee makes zero mistakes and can get promoted"?
You know where am leading to, right?

For one, Trump has been arguing - and on this I fully support him unless it's scientifically proven otherwise - that the US appears to have those unwanted COVID-19 stats because they are doing a lot of testing.
If a country tests 1,000 people it's likely to get 50 positive cases (5%) for example. Conversely, if a country tests 10 people it's likely to get 2 positive cases (20%). You see? At this juncture, you may find a country somewhere in Africa basking in glory while ridiculing the US. This is the idiocy of the highest calibre.

My opinion is... in order to make a case against/for the likes of Trump, Uhuru & Ramaphosa I would always apply simple science or maths as indicated below...

- Determine the proportion (%) of people being tested: i.e a number of tested people vs the country's population
- Determine the proportion (%) of positive cases: i.e a number of positive cases vs a number of tested people
- Determine the proportion (%) of fatality: i.e a number of deaths vs a number of tested people

A parting shot: let's always remain fair to others. We have to avoid being driven by those stereotypical and lopsided un-researched opinions.

Am done!
we gotta be fair in life - that's the theme!

Back
Top Bottom