Fears of rape in Kenya's slums 'trap women'

Wacha1

JF-Expert Member
Dec 21, 2009

_48278786_009750518-1.jpg

Nairobi's slums are home
to more than half the city's population

Fear of sexual violence is keeping poor Kenyan women away from communal toilets, and increasing the risk of disease, Amnesty International says.
In a report on Kenya's slums, the human rights group said women and girls were afraid to leave their shacks at night. As a result they were risking contracting diseases such as dysentery and cholera, the report said. About 60% of Nairobi residents, about two million people, live in slums with limited access to water and sanitation. Amnesty criticised a lack of policing in the shantytowns and the government's failure to enforce planning laws and regulations.

It called on the Kenyan government to address violence against women and to ensure women's access to sanitation and public security services. 'Flying toilets' "Women and girls in Nairobi's slums live under the constant threat of sexual violence," the report said. "Unable to leave their one-roomed houses after dark, many women in informal settlements resort to 'flying toilets' - using plastic bags thrown from the home to dispose of waste." Godfrey Odongo, Amnesty's east Africa researcher, said there was "a huge gap between what the government commits to do, and what is going on in the slums every day".

_48278784_009750504-1.jpg

Piles of rotting waste increase
the risks of disease in the shantytowns

"Kenya's national policies recognise the rights to sanitation and there are laws and standards in place. However, because of decades of failure to recognise slums and informal settlements, planning laws and regulations are not enforced in these areas. "The lack of enforcement of these laws has ensured that landlords and structure owners in the slums can get away without providing any toilets or shower places for their tenants."
The report, Insecurity and Indignity: Women's experiences in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya, highlights the case of a 19-year-old woman called Amina who was attacked as she walked to a latrine in Nairobi's Mathare slum. "I always underestimated the threat of violence," she said. "I would go to the latrine any time provided it was not too late." Four men attacked her in the early evening and were about to rape her when her cries were heard and a group of residents arrived to save her.

In March, trials began of a biodegradable toilet bag it is hoped will replace the flying toilets in Nairobi's largest slum of Kibera. The "Peepoo" bag is coated with a chemical which turns human waste into fertiliser. Dickson Matu Makau, who was in charge of distributing and collecting the used bags, told the BBC's Network Africa programme that the Peepoo proved popular and was much preferred to normal polythene bags. Analysts predict the population of Nairobi will swell to about six million by 2025.

Actually is normal for slums to have high crime rate. The solution is to concentrate on the distributive land policy.

In defense of my Kenyan cousins, mbona hii ni kitu ya kawaida tu?
There are slums everywhere. Any metropolis in the world is bound to have some...some are more recognizable (e.g. Mathare, Nairobi) while others are not (e.g. areas of London and New York)

Amnesty Intl. have run out of 'humanitarian crises' to report on and have decided to descend on Mathare. Which is not an entirely bad thing, but are they exposing Mathare for the right reasons? What percentage of the residents expressed this fear of rape?

Huo ni ulaji wao....

OMG! this is pity for a city/country supposed to be full of intellectuals and an envy for the EAC!. Africa where are we going? i cant believe what i see..:crying:

I believe most of the African countries have slums and that doesn't justify absence/presence of intellectuals. What matters is governance, because there are also very wealthy African countries blessed with natural resources but they possess equally bad slums.

I believe most of the African countries have slums and that doesn't justify absence/presence of intellectuals. What matters is governance, because there are also very wealthy African countries blessed with natural resources but they possess equally bad slums.

I know there is no point of arguing how they started but it seems these slums are growing at a very high rate. 60% of the city is already slummed the future of Nairobi is in danger!. Where are the intellectuals/planners?. Don't tell me EA biggest economy don't have money to implement these kind of projects!. What are the priorities, building a road to Juba?....or is this a LAND PROBLEM?

In defense of my Kenyan cousins, mbona hii ni kitu ya kawaida tu?
There are slums everywhere. Any metropolis in the world is bound to have some...some are more recognizable (e.g. Mathare, Nairobi) while others are not (e.g. areas of London and New York)

Amnesty Intl. have run out of 'humanitarian crises' to report on and have decided to descend on Mathare. Which is not an entirely bad thing, but are they exposing Mathare for the right reasons? What percentage of the residents expressed this fear of rape?

Huo ni ulaji wao....

Mkuu unaweza kutuwekea slums za London please? Maneno matupu hayavunji mfupa kata mzizi wa fitna. Isijekuwa unaisikia tu London kwenye bomba.

Kwakuwa nimeona pahala pengi hapa jamvini mkisema kuwa Kenya ina intellectual wengi na wajanja wengi; je, kwa kauli yako hapo juu huoni kuwa kuwepo kwa 'vilaza' Tanzania (kama Smatta alivyo waita Wabongo juu), hakutaletewa mabadiliko yoyote yale yaliyo chanya, kwani hata kuondokana na slums tu huko makwao kumewashinda?!

Wait a minute, did they say that Nairobi slums are homes to more than half the city's population ? My goodness, this is terribly sad. Anyway, Kenyans should be commended for their invention of flying toilet, I hope they are going to patent it.

again, another garbage report.

no wonder meles zenawi trashed amnesty intl and human rights groups.

Mkuu unaweza kutuwekea slums za London please? Maneno matupu hayavunji mfupa kata mzizi wa fitna. Isijekuwa unaisikia tu London kwenye bomba.

Ha ha. For your information I live in London. Ndio maana nikasema, 'some slums are more recognizable than others. Good examples can be found in areas of East London (the Stratford area, which luckily is now undergoing a major revamp due to the coming Olympics) and North London (Kentish town) and Hackney, to name but a few.

Wewe inaelekea ndio unaoa picha zing'aazo za downtown London na za The City ukadhani huku kunang'aa tu!

Ha ha. For your information I live in London. Ndio maana nikasema, 'some slums are more recognizable than others. Good examples can be found in areas of East London (the Stratford area, which luckily is now undergoing a major revamp due to the coming Olympics) and North London (Kentish town) and Hackney, to name but a few.

Wewe inaelekea ndio unaoa picha zing'aazo za downtown London na za The City ukadhani huku kunang'aa tu!

Weka picha hapa wacha blah blah unafikiri ukisema unaishi London nani atashituka, weka nondo hapa maneno matupu hayavunji mfupa. Weka mambo hapa tujue zipi mbivu.

Au weka link, google map London yote iko kwenye google map weka hapa hata Post codes sisi tutawawekea wadau waone wenyewe kama ni slums wacha kudanganya toto hapa..

Smatta and Co. are busy 'taking over' Jamhuri ya Muungano. Even if they were slums in Bongo , haziwezi kufikia hizo na wala we don't go around the region bragging how smart we are. Bw. Injia, i've lived in the US kwa muda mrefu, and i spent a night in London. Tuletee picha angalau za London slums, sidhani kama zinaweza kuwa kama hizo za wakenya!!!

Wait a minute, did they say that Nairobi slums are homes to more than half the city's population ? My goodness, this is terribly sad. Anyway, Kenyans should be commended for their invention of flying toilet, I hope they are going to patent it.

You should not be in a position to say that because a STAGGERING 92% OF TANZANIA'S URBAN POPULATION LIVE IN SLUMS.

Weka picha hapa wacha blah blah unafikiri ukisema unaishi London nani atashituka, weka nondo hapa maneno matupu hayavunji mfupa. Weka mambo hapa tujue zipi mbivu.

Au weka link, google map London yote iko kwenye google map weka hapa hata Post codes sisi tutawawekea wadau waone wenyewe kama ni slums wacha kudanganya toto hapa..

You are so warped, man! What is so special about London? Or any other Western city that I should not dare say there are very impoverished areas within them?

I never even intended to say I lived here until you claimed I had only heard of such places. I wish you knew, its not a big deal living here, one can have good life anywhere if one works hard. In Tanzania too, even outside the big cities. So grow up. There are people living in card board shacks in New York, but of course if the media is your only source of information, you will only get the glitzy images.

I believe you have access to a computer, search 'Impoverished areas of London' or 'Hackney, London' or any of the other areas I mentioned.

You are so warped, man! What is so special about London? Or any other Western city that I should not dare say there are very impoverished areas within them?

I never even intended to say I lived here until you claimed I had only heard of such places. I wish you knew, its not a big deal living here, one can have good life anywhere if one works hard. In Tanzania too, even outside the big cities. So grow up. There are people living in card board shacks in New York, but of course if the media is your only source of information, you will only get the glitzy images.

I believe you have access to a computer, search 'Impoverished areas of London' or 'Hackney, London' or any of the other areas I mentioned.

mkuu,nimejaribu kutafuta kwenye computer sijaona hizo SLUMS,pia nimeshatembelea HACKNEY,STRATFORD,LEYTON,LEYTONSTONE,UPTON PARK etc sijaona hizo SLUM or anything closer to MATHARE SLUM,naomba nisaidie hata post code ya hayo maeneo next time nije na camera yangu............

Back
Top Bottom