FA charges Drogba over coin throw

BAK

JF-Expert Member
Feb 11, 2007
FA charges Drogba over coin throw
BBC Sports

_45206454_45206447.jpg

Drogba threw the coin back into a section of Burnley supporters

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has been charged with violent conduct by the Football Association for throwing a coin back into the crowd.

Drogba hurled a coin into a section of Burnley supporters following his goal in Chelsea's shock Carling Cup defeat at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

He has until Monday evening to respond, with a hearing planned for Tuesday.

Team-mate Frank Lampard has called for Drogba to avoid a ban, insisting it would send the wrong message to fans.

It's not unusual to get things thrown at you and lots of abuse, too, and I think it's got to stop

Frank Lampard
"If Didier gets banned, are fans going to do this more to provoke people? Who knows," said Lampard.

"I hope he doesn't get banned, but it's up to the FA."

The FA has also written to both Chelsea and Burnley to request information on a number of missiles thrown at Chelsea players from the Burnley section.

An FA spokesman said: "Players should be able to play football without fearing for their personal safety.

"It is totally unacceptable for players to be put in danger by supporters throwing missiles onto the pitch.

DIDIER DROGBA AT CHELSEA
Appearances: 146
Goals: 81

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drogba in trouble:
Nov 2008: Faces police and FA investigation for throwing coin at Burnley supporters
May 2008: Red carded in Champions League final after slapping Man Utd defender Nemanja Vidic
Sep 2007: Sent off in a Premier League match against Fulham
Feb 2005: Dismissed against Barcelona at the Nou Camp
"The priority now is to work with the clubs and the police to identify the individuals involved.

"The FA wants anyone found guilty of throwing missiles to face the strongest possible action. That includes life bans from attending football matches."

Drogba, 30, made a single-finger gesture before throwing the coin back following his 27th-minute goal, but there have been no reports of any spectators being injured.

Referee Keith Stroud told the FA he had booked Drogba for going towards the opposition supporters to celebrate, but had not seen him throw the coin.

The Ivory Coast striker issued an immediate post-match apology but could still face a suspension, while the incident is also being investigated by the police.

Jamie Carragher was handed a three-match ban when he was red-carded for a similar offence in 2002.

Carragher was also interviewed by police but no further action was taken. However, he was fined by Liverpool and warned about his future conduct.

"There are two sides to it," said Chelsea midfielder Lampard. "Didier's come out and there's been a reaction, a human reaction I have to say, which Jamie Carragher made once.

Burnley will investigate coin incident - Coyle
"I was around Didier at the time and I don't know how many coins there were around.

"I take quite a lot of corners and it's not unusual to get things thrown at you and lots of abuse, too, and I think it's got to a stage now where it's got to stop."

"We've seen referees getting hit, too, so I think people have to take responsibility as a group."

Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari refused to talk about Drogba's antics at a press conference ahead of their game with West Bromwich Albion.

The Brazilian said: "About Didier Drogba, I won't say anything. Finished. Okay?

"It's not my business. I'm not someone to say kill or not kill. I'm only the coach and I'll receive the information from the police, the club, the FA."