Ex-BBC presenter in court accused of 18 child sex offences

R.B

JF-Expert Member
May 10, 2012
Ex-BBC presenter in court accused of 18 child sex offences

Michael-Souter_620_1629754a.jpg

Accused ... ex-BBC man Michael Souter at court

A FORMER BBC radio presenter has appeared in court accused of sexual offences against children.

Michael Souter, 59, is charged with 18 offences relating to boys, plus one offence against a man and one against a woman
The allegations include serious sexual offences and indecent assault and relate to six different boys, including under-14s, and two adults.
The alleged crimes date back to between 1979 and 1999 and happened in Norfolk.
The earlier charges overlap with Souter’s career at the BBC in the 1980s during which he helped launch Radio Norfolk, including a stint presenting the breakfast show.
Today Souter, of Loddon, Norfolk, appeared wearing a blazer and tie at Norwich Magistrates’ Court, where he was bailed to appear at the city's crown court next month.
District Judge Peter Veits allowed him to get his passport back after hearing the journalist likes to spend his winters in Spain.
Solicitor Alun Jones told the court: “My client is a well-known local journalist and is very well-known in the area. He now works as a freelance travel writer.
“It has long been his habit to stay in Spain for the winter. There are no grounds to believe that Mr Souter is going to abscond.”
Outside court, Souter said: “I am well aware this case is a stressful experience for almost everybody concerned, not just me.
“Irrespective of innocence or guilt, people have judged me before one word has been given in evidence in a court of law.
“The support of my friends and family, during what has been an extremely difficult period, has been overwhelming and humbling and I cannot thank them enough for their support.
“I look forward to being able to prove my innocence and put this awful episode behind me.”

Read more: Ex-BBC radio presenter Michael Souter accused of 18 child sex offences | The Sun |News

Back
Top Bottom