English learning thread

I wish you all the best Mama Wawili. You could start by writing a short diary/journal entry about various aspects of your day. Writing in paragraphs will be much better than concentrating on isolated sentences. Good luck!

Could ni past mkuu ungesema "you may"

'Could' as used in that sentence, is a modal auxiliary expressing possibility.

Sasa ushasema possibility which means future event dat may happen or is likely to happen wakat could ni past huoni uo mchuzi ndugu yangu.. Anyway ni kueleweshana tu "may" ndo proper term hapo!

I find it hard to talk about the use of "has had" alone isolating "have had", both are used in expressing the Present Perfect Tense. "Have had" is used in all persons except in third person singular like in the example you provided I have had lunch while "has had" is used in third person singular example He has had lunch.

On the other hand the tense form in "had had" is past perfect. It is used to express an activity that happened before another activity in the past, example I had had lunch at 1 before going to work . "Had had" is also used to indicate possession.

Other contributors may offer us more insight in the topic.

I have had a great day!

Sasa ushasema possibility which means future event dat may happen or is likely to happen wakat could ni past huoni uo mchuzi ndugu yangu.. Anyway ni kueleweshana tu "may" ndo proper term hapo!
[h=1]Could[/h]
"Could" is used to express possibility or past ability as well as to make suggestions and requests. "Could" is also commonly used in conditional sentences as the conditional form of "can."
Examples:

• Extreme rain could cause the river to flood the city. possibility
  • Nancy could ski like a pro by the age of 11. past ability
  • You could see a movie or go out to dinner. suggestion
  • Could I use your computer to email my boss? request
  • We could go on the trip if I didn't have to work this weekend. conditional

[h=2]Using "Could" in Present, Past, and Future[/h] Most modal verbs behave quite irregularly in the past and the future. Study the chart below to learn how "could" behaves in different contexts.
Modal Use Positive Forms
1. = Present 2. = Past 3. = Future
Negative Forms
You can also use:
could
possibility
1. John could be the one who stole the money. 2. John could have been the one who stole the money.
3. John could go to jail for stealing the money.
1. Mary couldn't be the one who stole the money. 2. Mary couldn't have been the one who stole the money.
3. Mary couldn't possibly go to jail for the crime.
might,
may
ENGLISH PAGE - Could

[h=1]Could[/h]
"Could" is used to express possibility or past ability as well as to make suggestions and requests. "Could" is also commonly used in conditional sentences as the conditional form of "can."
Examples:

• Extreme rain could cause the river to flood the city. possibility
  • Nancy could ski like a pro by the age of 11. past ability
  • You could see a movie or go out to dinner. suggestion
  • Could I use your computer to email my boss? request
  • We could go on the trip if I didn't have to work this weekend. conditional

[h=2]Using "Could" in Present, Past, and Future[/h] Most modal verbs behave quite irregularly in the past and the future. Study the chart below to learn how "could" behaves in different contexts.
Modal Use Positive Forms
Negative Forms
You can also use:
could
possibility
1. John could be the one who stole the money. 2. John could have been the one who stole the money.
3. John could go to jail for stealing the money.
1. Mary couldn't be the one who stole the money. 2. Mary couldn't have been the one who stole the money.
3. Mary couldn't possibly go to jail for the crime.
might,
may
ENGLISH PAGE - Could

Mkuu could ni past tense sasa uyu mtu unamshaur kwa kitu ambacho anaweza kufanya present simple na sio ambacho alitakiwa kufanya ambapo hapo matumizi ya could yangekua sahihi ndio maana nakwambia advise yako ilibidi iendane na may na sio could cz hii ni opportunity event bado ipo na inaendelea na sio kwamba imepita umeelewaaa...??????

Mkuu could ni past tense sasa uyu mtu unamshaur kwa kitu ambacho anaweza kufanya present simple na sio ambacho alitakiwa kufanya ambapo hapo matumizi ya could yangekua sahihi ndio maana nakwambia advise yako ilibidi iendane na may na sio could cz hii ni opportunity event bado ipo na inaendelea na sio kwamba imepita umeelewaaa...??????

Alichoeleza kipo sahihi wewe. Acha ubishi usio na kichwa wala makalio.

Me nashangaa umeona mtu kakosea ww unamkosoa bila kuelewesha kwann umekosoa ili nasisi tunaojifunza tujue wapi alipokosea, lakini wewe umekazana kumbishia kila m2 bila kuonesha proof kwa unayoyatetea! Tunataka kujifunza kaka unaweza ukawa unajua ukakosa kipaji cha kumfundisha na mwingine akajua! Nawaslisha hoja.

good morning Mentor how do you do?
Myself i am ok am doing very well.
Would do you be teach me english?
My english is very poor and i want to have bombastic words so that when i speak people will respect me.
I am staying at Tandale

Last edited by a moderator:
good morning Mentor how do you do?
Myself i am ok am doing very well.
Would do you be teach me english?
My english is very poor and i want to have bombastic words so that when i speak people will respect me.
I am staying at Tandale

Good morning amu. I am fine. I hope all is well with you too.

May I start with some corrections:

1. Myself I am - do not use a noun and a pronoun together. You could instead just write, "I am ok."

2. Would you teach me English?

3. Again in as much as you want to learn English, please use proper writing rules. Always start a sentence with capital letters.

On the other side, I think you are confusing me with Kiranga, the always arguing member.

Mwisho wa yote, what the hell do you want to learn English for if you live in Tandale? There are no English mipasho songs. There aren't any English mkodobwe groups.

Please, quench my thirst!

1. Myself I am - do not use a noun and a pronoun together. You could instead just write, "I am ok."

3. Again in as much as you want to learn English, please use proper writing rules. Always start a sentence with capital letters.

On the other side, I think you are confusing me with Kiranga, the always arguing member.

Mwisho wa yote, what the hell do you want to learn English for if you live in Tandale? There are no English mipasho songs. There aren't any English mkodobwe groups.

Thankx so much iwant to be respected here in Tandale if you speak english people wil call you tajiri and you will be ranked in the higher leaves.
Right now am in Manzese am looking for the brazia the price is 100.
I will bring you a gift my teacher.
I dont want Kiranga to be my teacher he will drive me crazy.

It is quite possible that Kiranga is not the always arguing member and this apparent image may only seem so because you are the always non-arguing docile member.

And I am not arguing here, just pointing out an observation.

To those who are coming, those who are going may appear coming.

To those who are negative, those who are positive may appear negative.

To those who are listening too slow, those who talk at a normal pace may appear to be talking to fast.

And to those who do not appreciate rhetoric, deconstruction, the Socratic method, natural curiosity and a contrarian pedant, why of course Kiranga will always appear to be the argumentative member.

While the true argumentative are the ones faced with a situation to be argumentative but refuse to argue a lick.

It is quite possible that Kiranga is not the always arguing member and this apparent image may only seem so because you are the always non-arguing docile member.

And I am not arguing here, just pointing out an observation.

To those who are coming, those who are going may appear coming.

To those who are negative, those who are positive may appear negative.

To those who are listening too slow, those who talk at a normal pace may appear to be talking to fast.

And to those who do not appreciate rhetoric, deconstruction, the Socratic method, natural curiosity and a contrarian pedant, why of course Kiranga will always appear to be the argumentative member.

While the true argumentative are the ones faced with a situation to be argumentative but refuse to argue a lick.

Mentor i told you .
You see now contratian i am socratic method an i appreciate rhetoric construction.

amu my student, please ignore Kiranga's failed endeavor at establishing himself as the self righteous all knowing and ever right JF member!

Please bring me a pair of yellow and red socks.

Ha ha ha ha my dear Ladyfuraha you have decided to comment on your native language, I think I somehow understand it (is it nyakusya ?),would you please write it in English ?

uuuuh you guys you so funny! I like your conversation as it helped me to add new vocabulary (Socratic and rhetoric), though my dictionary fail to give the meaning of the word contrarian, hope one day I will be rhetoric but I will not follow the Socratic approach. Ha ha ha ha I'm trying to memorize the new vocabulary!
Mentor i told you .
You see now contratian i am socratic method an i appreciate rhetoric construction.

Back
Top Bottom