English learning thread

It doesn't matter whether you speak broken English or not but what we want is only concept of what you are talking and what you intend to mean!!! Ask yourself why Chinese or Frenchmen or Germany etc they don't care about languages which isn't their native language? This is infiriority complex which we Africans have been inherited from our ancestors till now!!!
Let us have the sense of proudness of what we have...... Let us speak Swahili to the fullest

It doesn't matter whether you speak broken English or not but what we want is only concept of what you are talking and what you intend to mean!!! Ask yourself why Chinese or Frenchmen or Germany etc they don't care about languages which isn't their native language? This is infiriority complex which we Africans have been inherited from our ancestors till now!!!
Let us have the sense of proudness of what we have...... Let us speak Swahili to the fullest

YOU should lead by example!

MK254 umemaliza,......nailed it!

One thing I like about you guys is the confidence you have when you speak, and as you said that's the key!
Everytime I hear (my kikuyu friends for example) speak, I can tell they don't care, and they don't get bothered about their accent wanabonga tu, long as sentence imenyooka.

dada kui,speaking from my experience as a person lived and worked with kenyans,jaluos overwhelm kikuyus and all tribes in English language.a kikuyu guy like MK254 knows this truth but will deny it since they don't go along with jaluos due to some ethnic differences they've within each other.

i was told that there is village in nyanza pronvice whereby majority of youth and elders speak good english than those folks in nairobi who speak sheng.

in the city of nairobi,you can even spot the difference when you hear a juluo or kikuyu guy who speaks english.juluo may appear more fluent and confident than a kikuyu.

• Thanks
Reactions: kui
dada kui,speaking from my experience as a person lived and worked with kenyans,jaluos overwhelm kikuyus and all tribes in English language.a kikuyu guy like MK254 knows this truth but will deny it since they don't go along with jaluos due to some ethnic differences they've within each other.

i was told that there is village in nyanza pronvice whereby majority of youth and elders speak good english than those folks in nairobi who speak sheng.

in the city of nairobi,you can even spot the difference when you hear a juluo or kikuyu guy who speaks english.juluo may appear more fluent and confident than a kikuyu.

Huu ukabila utakumaliza kaka kadoda11, you should learn to have a simple conversation without dragging tribalism on everything. Here kui is talking about her friends, she is not comparing Kenyan tribes.
It's true people from Luo community speak better English than any other Kenyans, I personally admire their eloquence and mastery of the language, but we are not here to compare or contrast, we are just having a simple conversation and sharing experiences.

However, as kui put it, Kenyans in general are normally very confident when it comes to expressing ourselves in English. The problem with you guys, you're normally way too careful when using the language as opposed to when speaking in Swahili.
When in a boardroom meeting in Tanzania, and mode of language is English, I tend to see most Tanzanians taking backseat and remaining mute most of the time.

I took into mentoring some Tanzanian youths there and nowadays they are very confident, just recently I was required to fly in and do a presentation to management board of a certain organization. But one of my boys offered to do the demo himself. I allowed and even prepped him mentally, the guy did an outstanding job, notwithstanding of the fact that it was his debut on such an assignment.
The key - walk tall, talk big, look people in the eye, understand yourself, face your fears and don't fear failure.....

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Huu ukabila utakumaliza kaka kadoda11, you should learn to have a simple conversation without dragging tribalism on everything. Here kui is talking about her friends, she is not comparing Kenyan tribes.
It's true people from Luo community speak better English than any other Kenyans, I personally admire their eloquence and mastery of the language, but we are not here to compare or contrast, we are just having a simple conversation and sharing experiences.

However, as kui put it, Kenyans in general are normally very confident when it comes to expressing ourselves in English. The problem with you guys, you're normally way too careful when using the language as opposed to when speaking in Swahili.
When in a boardroom meeting in Tanzania, and mode of language is English, I tend to see most Tanzanians taking backseat and remaining mute most of the time.

I took into mentoring some Tanzanian youths there and nowadays they are very confident, just recently I was required to fly in and do a presentation to management board of a certain organization. But one of my boys offered to do the demo himself. I allowed and even prepped him mentally, the guy did an outstanding job, notwithstanding of the fact that it was his debut on such an assignment.
The key - walk tall, talk big, look people in the eye, understand yourself, face your fears and don't fear failure.....

kaka i'm really sorry if i've offended you,it wasn't my intention to draw any tribal tension in this conversation.just wanted to share a small potion of my experience about kenyans.however,in a normal Kenyan conversation,mentioning ones tribe is very common,it's not a strange thing.

words in bold have caught my attention.will start to practice myself in front of a mirror.:poa

• Thanks
kaka i'm really sorry if i've offended you,it wasn't my intention to draw any tribal tension in this conversation.just wanted to share a small potion of my experience about kenyans.however,in a normal Kenyan conversation,mentioning ones tribe is very common,it's not a strange thing.

words in bold have caught my attention.will start to practice myself in front of a mirror.:poa

No, you don't need to do it in-front of a mirror, get out there, face people, talk to them. Express yourself, speak your mind, enjoy your coffee. Make your own mistakes and don't beat yourself about it, get back into the ring and make even more mistakes.
Like I exhorted Mama wawilii earlier, confidence is all it takes. Are you normally cognizant of the mistakes you make when speaking in Swahili. How comes most people are never ashamed of speaking broken Swahili but are always too careful when using English. Spit it out man...

This's good to know about Luos!

MK254 Niice!,....on what you did to our Tanzanian Fella!, (I hope ndugu zangu hawatanishambulia on this)...lol!, they're quite sensitive when it comes to the English language and especially when a Kenyan is involved in one way or the other.

Na hapo penye red umemaliza!, especially when it comes to looking people in the eyes when you speak, that's where the confidence come. when you talk to people and look them straight in the eyes that tells them you're not fearful or trying to hide anything, as opposed to speaking with your eyes down, and when you're in that commanding mode it automatically creates confidence.

Stop Memorizing.
The kind of people your talking about got their own technology, the don't need English to operate computers, machines and everything else. We Tanzanian's we got no any science with us. We import than export. We can't even make a toothbrush. We can't explore because were not fluent, Even Kenyan's beat us up that's why you can see them abroad working than us. We need English in everything. If all manuals were in Chinese, we would be forced to know Mandarin too.
Keep your mindset, It's worth be fluent.

kadoda11 You're not getting it, I am simply saying you can't master English by learning it in just one simple thread. You need to practice it, engage other speakers in various topics in online forums. And if possible, hang out with guys using it constantly. Long before you know it, you'd have mastered most of it. In other words, make grammatical mistakes and keep on learning from them.

The bottom-line, it's all about practice and self-confidence. Read papers and books written in English, watch movies and series (especially the ones with subtitles). I am prescribing this for adults wanting to master the language but for kids it's a different ballgame. Our kids here in Kenya are taught and instructed in the language right from kindergarten. My children for instance, can speak Swahili, English, Kikuyu, Sheng, Kiluhya, (wife's language) and a bit of French.

Kuna wakati usipovuta bangi unakuwa na akili?

All in all, speaking and writting english is totaly different. Most of Tanzanians are good in writting english than speaking. And if you see them most of times they use direct transalation.

English has basics in learning, if they are well mastered you are having a very good english.

Not knowing english does not associate with confidence. Most of people telling them to present themselves in swahili is a big challenge.

Kuna wakati usipovuta bangi unakuwa na akili?

All in all, speaking and writting english is totaly different. Most of Tanzanians are good in writting english than speaking. And if you see them most of times they use direct transalation.

English has basics in learning, if they are well mastered you are having a very good english.

Not knowing english does not associate with confidence. Most of people telling them to present themselves in swahili is a big challenge.

Mastery of any language has everything to do with confidence and passion.

• Thanks
english luggage is a big ploblem even to me.i tried tried and tried to be fluence with this luggage,but never succeed.i sink my effort is never enough,its a high time to ask for a help from our northern neighbours (kenyans),they are very much in english you know.:poa

this posti should be read by MK254 and Iconoclastes

CC Mama wawilii kui pmwasyoke and athazy.

Cmon! :shock:

But I have seen u many times expressing yourself well in the language huko kwetu?

I am very happy to appear here today on this Language platform. I have been here for a years now. Actual what i can say on this platform most of members they have done a great job to correct me. I was very poor on written. At least now I can write even a single sentence. Thanks a lot for whose who play a big role to correct me, especifically Mama wawili. but nevertheless. be regards.

Stop Memorizing.
The kind of people your talking about got their own technology, the don't need English to operate computers, machines and everything else. We Tanzanian's we got no any science with us. We import than export. We can't even make a toothbrush. We can't explore because were not fluent, Even Kenyan's beat us up that's why you can see them abroad working than us. We need English in everything. If all manuals were in Chinese, we would be forced to know Mandarin too.
Keep your mindset, It's worth be fluent.
HMS you are totally out of logic surely you lack liberalisation in your brain....notwithstanding I am so sorry to let you know your sickness of your thinking capability!!!
Once we appreciate we have ...what belong to us.. It will be much easier for us to feel proud in front of other nations!!! Tanzania is for Tanzania's! Let us cut the ---- for leaning on other Nations culture's!
Napenda utamaduni wa nchi Yangu!