Do you know any Taarab singers ?

Makedha

Sep 24, 2010
I noticed there's almost only sports in this section even though it says we may also talk about music. It kinda made me hesitate on whether i should post this here or somewhere else, but I decided to just give it a try.

Anyway i like listening to taarab music, but the only singers i know and like who have made at least one taarab song are Sabaha Salum (Tamba, Mithili Yako Hapana, etc.), Ray C (Nimezama), Mombasa roots (Mpenzi Mimi Siwezi) and Mukrid (Mazoea yana tabu). I don't speak Swahili so i have no idea of what these songs are about, but the language and the melody sound nice. I decided to learn the language and that's one of the reasons why i joined this forum actually. Do you know any other nice taarab songs?

Makedha, there are hundreds of taarab songs, it depends on where your interest lies.

There are love songs that are sung traditionally by artists like Rukia Ramadhan, Sabah Muchacho, Mohammed Ilyas and Khadija Baramia. There are what Tanzanians call "mipasho", sounding like confrontation types of songs sung by Khadija Kopa, Zuhura Shaaban, Mzee Yusuf and his sister Khadija Yusuf. There are songs from Zanzibar and Mombasa (mostly traditional taarab type), and Dar es Salaam (mostly modern mipasho type).

In most cases the wording is in proverbs and a bit difficult to get the meaning unless a Swahili speaking person translated to you.

You may visit www.mzalendo.net where you will enjoy different types of taarab music.

I noticed there's almost only sports in this section even though it says we may also talk about music. It kinda made me hesitate on whether i should post this here or somewhere else, but I decided to just give it a try.

Anyway i like listening to taarab music, but the only singers i know and like who have made at least one taarab song are Sabaha Salum (Tamba, Mithili Yako Hapana, etc.), Ray C (Nimezama), Mombasa roots (Mpenzi Mimi Siwezi) and Mukrid (Mazoea yana tabu). I don't speak Swahili so i have no idea of what these songs are about, but the language and the melody sound nice. I decided to learn the language and that's one of the reasons why i joined this forum actually. Do you know any other nice taarab songs?

Sorry I don't know any.

I know one, Kinyago cha Mpapure by Mwanahawa Aly.