Diversity in Tanzania: Where are the Asian, Arab, European-Tanzanians?

Mzee Mwanakijiji

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well..we know they are here; we work with them, we work for them, we go to school with them and we have served the national service with them. We have had them in the TPDF as well as in the Police Force (I remember some Singh and Khan). From the very beginning of our Republic Tanzanians of Asian, Arab and European ancestry have served well and some with distinction such as the late Maj. Gen. John Walden (Commander Black Mamba).

As I look at the make up of our nation's top leadership I'm beginning to worry and wonder what is happening. Have we failed in our experiment with diversity and inclusion of people of different races who claim Tanzanian citizenship? Have we failed in recruiting all Tanzanians in our public service? How can we fight international criminal gangs or organized crime for example without the help of all Tanzanians? Without the help of Tanzanians of all races how can we create strong national intelligence service? I don't know if we have Tanzanians of different races in our embassies abroad serving in different capacities.

Have we now created a de facto one race public service or nation where only black people serve in public service? Is this good for the nation? How can we restore a sense of pride and true unity by including all colors of our nations make up? Or the only other venue for Tanzanians of non-african ancestry to serve is in the politics arena and nowhere else?

Why there is no: Tanzanian of non-african ancestry in

a. In the Court of Appeal
b. In the High Court
c. In TPDF High Command (National and Regional)
d. In Police and Prison Service High Command (National and Regional)
e. In Intelligence Service (none hold any directorial position, I know of no one serving at the HQ)
e. In Regional Commissioners
f. In DCs
.. etc

And even more amazing..

Why we don't see them in the Cabinet or as Deputies? Are there any magistrates in Tanzanian who are of non-African ancestry? What about in our Foreign Service, how many works at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or any other Ministry's HQ?in our is the number somewhat representative of the the group in our population?

What are we doing wrong? I mean African-Americans make only about 12 percent of US's population but they are almost everywhere in the public service, why in a nation which only 40 or so years ago some of its political elite cried "segregation now, segregation forever" now stands in the world as a symbol of diversity promoted and welcomed. Do our political leadership have a role to play to recruit minorities in Tanzanian into the public service? Do we need to learn how to do this from countries that have made major strides in this area? I mean.. even the former Governor General of Canada is a black woman (originally from Haiti).

How can we include our racial minority in our public service? Will it shock some Tanzanians to hear that so and so has been appointed a High Court Judge or head of certain government institution? Especially if her/his name is a Smith or a Patel? I'm longing to see that happen, we have to restore what Tanzania is all about.. we got lost somewhere, we sure did.

And this subject is what makes lots of pipo to misunderstand Zimbabwe as they think their diversity is just like ours. Kwa wengi Mugabe is right eti anawapa adabu wazungu! Lakini as for Zim up to now pamoja na vurugu vurugu zoote za Mugabe there are white policemen, teachers, ministers, ambassadors, Airforce marshalls etc.

For our case I completely don't know what is the matter? Maana CCM hiyo hiyo inayotamba kila siku kwamba ni chama cha watu wote, hakina ubaguzi, fursa sawa etc. inaonekana kimeshindwa kabisa kue-mbrace diversity. As of now the highest level in public service that can be attained by citizens of non-african ancenstry ni ubunge!

Lakini pia kuna ishu nyingine kuhusu hawa jamaa je huwa wanaaply hizo kazi za say polisi, JWTZ, Posta, ualimu, uaskari magereza na wananyimwa? Mbona sijawahi kusikia lalamiko la aina hii hata siku moja?

Pia kuna issue nyingine ambayo ni very common scenario in Bongo, most of the sibblings of these non-african ancenstry citizens are not proud at all to be Tanzanians. Most of them will claim and take pride to some countries that they have never set their feet. Hata the few waliopo kwenye sekta binafsi say vodacom, Celtel, Coopers and Lybrand huwa mara nyingi wanapretend as if si watanzania na hata kama they are basi it is just temporarily.

Jingine ni UBAGUZI. Tukubali tusikubali, jamii yetu ina asili fulani ya ubaguzi kwa watu hao and this goes far to being institutionalized. Na inaonekana si ishu. Mara nyingi tumewasikia hata mawaziri wakitamka yule muhindi, au msomali, au mzungu asitubabaishe na wakapigiwa makofi kwa sana tu. Sasa kwa sababu hao jamaa zetu ndiyo wamehodhi uchumi wa nchi na wanalijua hili kwamba kelele nyingi huwepo pale wanapojaribu ku-step into public offices wao wameamua kudeal na private sector and that is where 99% are.

I think hawa watu wamejikita sana kwenye Business, sio mbaya its just specialization; Most of them have been raised as enterpreneurs, as you know ukilelewa kwenye familia ya kimichezo there is a big chance na wewe utakuwa a sports person e.g matumla family, njohole family to name just a few....

Kwahiyo probably biashara itakapoanza kuwa ngumu as of now other people Tanzanians of African ancestry wameanza kuingilia hii issue probably nao itabidi waingie pengine kutafuta ajira, Just like in America ilivyokuwa kwa Black americans kwenye sports, Lakini sasa sababu ya kipato kuwa kikubwa huko even white americans wanataka kuingia kwa wingi

Mzee Mwanakijiji, hakuna any divesity plan au inclusion strategy yoyote simply because these people are not there.

Hawa wenzetu hawaombi kazi serikali, hao unaowaona kwenye siasa, ni watu wenye biashara zao, uwaziri hata wa bure hawataki.

Mahali pekee ambapo bado wapo ni Mahospitali na kwenye tasnia ya sheria kama wanasheria na wengi ni maadvocate.

Zamani nilidhani hawana interest na kazi zetu, niko jengo moja mjini lina ofisi za balozi kadhaa, nimegundua most of the local staff, ndio hawa wenzetu, waajiri wa kimataifa wamejiaminisha hawa wenzetu ni watu wenye bidii zaidi na ni waaminifu zaidi kuliko akina sisi.

Uakuja wewe na degree yako ya chuo kikuu, unapewe kazi ya advisory na take home ya M.3 plus, unaridhika kwa sababu level ya serikalini unaijua, bali utashindwa kushangaa unapokutana na mfanyakazi mwenzako form 1V leaver akifanya clerical job na take home ya M.5 simply beause ni light skinned!.

Nilitembelea hapo UN nikafuatilia kidogo quota systeam ya ajira. Ajira zetu sisi Watanzania ziko chini ya Eastern Africa and the Horn of Africa. Nikakuta surprise surprise, karibu wajiriwa wote ni Wasomali, Wanda na Wakenya, kwenye portion ya Tanzania, nafasi zimejazwa na wenzetu hawa. Vivyo hiyo ofisi za UN pale Geneva, na sio UN peke yake, hata kwenye mashirika yake, portion ya Watanzania kwenye ILO, FAO Rome, pia zimejazwa na wenzetu hawa.

Tukirudi hapa nyumbani, ni wenzetu hawa hawa ndio wenye upper hand kwenye tenda zote kubwa kumbwa. Toka tenda ya supply ya vifaa vya Jeshi, Rada, Helcopter, Ndege ya rais mpaka local partner wa Kalamazoo, na sasa national ID project, ni hawa hawa wenzetu.

Tunazo production company lukiki hapa nchini zinazomilikiwa na wazawa, tenda zote za promotion ya Utalii, zinakwenda kwa wenzetu hawa. Wao ndio wamiliki wakubwa wa biashara zote kubwa kubwa nchini, hata ukijitahidi ukafungua ka travel agent kako, tenda zote za travel, advertising na promotion, zinakwenda kwao.

Japo siungi mkono juhudi zozote za kuwabagua, natamani tungefanya affinmative action ya wazawa kushika biashara kubwa kama walivyofanya wenzetu kule South Afrika. Leo jijini, Dar kunaibuka maghorofa ya kutisha kila kukicha, na yote ni ya wenzetu hawa. Kariakoo wameishaimaliza sasa wamehamia Ilala na Magomeni, wakitununua na kutuhamisha, wakati kungekuwa na affimative action, tungeingia nao ubia.

Sasa jeshini hawapo tena, polisi hawapo na wala serikali hawaombi kazi, tutawasaidiaje, ila pia kitu funny ajabu, wenzetu pia hawavunji kabisa sheria, hawapo mahabusu za polisi, wala magerezani, na ni impaka ilipoibuka EPA, baada ya serikali kujua wenzetu hawa wapo, wakakarabati kwanza gereza la Ukonga kuweka vyumba VIP vyenye viyoyosi, plasma big screen TV, shower za hot water, na kutoa tenda kwa 5 star hotel kuprovide outside catering, eti hawawezi kula ugali na maharage, sio vyakula vyao vya asili.

Enzi za Dr. Leader Starring, Joan Wickens, Derreck Bryson, All Noor Kassum, Amiri Jamal are over, hizi sasa ni nyakati zetu, sisi na Bagamoyo yetu japo bado ni wao ndio wanaotujengea!.

Mwanakijiji, we have a lot of them as CCM MPs, the question is why doesn't the CCM's GOT make them (MO, RA et al.) Ministers etc?

Mwanakijiji,
The thing is those jobs are LOWLY paying and these castes cannot accept them.....when I was youg almost all train drivers were of Sikh origin and they lived in the GEREZANI quartres next to the famous Club...a posh area by then.

I honestly think kwamba walijikita kwenye biashara because they had all the contacts and they were making a ginormous profit .... Lakini sasa because the World is a Global Village na wazawa wengine wamejikita kwenye hizi biashara hence competition, hata wao watakuwa hawana choice, I promise you in the few years to come tutakuwa tunagombana nao kutafuta kazi ya kupiga debe kwenye daladala...

it really surprises me that we even bring this issue here; these so called minority "Tanzanians" are mostly of Asian descent. Most of them are here for business as indicated by others above; they are the elite of the society, they are richer, they are the ones who won big companies etc. So we want to also give them a bigger share in the govt? Plus have they really been confirmed to be good citizens? Have they been integrated completely? What is the percentage of this people? Do they know our people and their needs very well? Have they applied for any position and they have been denied using racial basis? How many Tanzanians who are citizens in their countries that even economic privileges? Jamani, let us think, for those of us who have been in these countries and even in the Western world, we know how people discriminate black people just because of our color, most of us are give odd jobs in spite of our qualifications....and you are never quite accepted in these societies...I don't say that we should treat them the same, but that we should let time tell for fair integration for all humanity. Watu wameshiba bado unataka kuwaongezea, jamani, kwani sisi tumekuwa wa kugawa tu na sio wa kupokea?

Hilo tatizo liko huku Tanzania bara zaidi, Zanzibar wanae waziri kwenye Baraza hili jipya mwenye asili ya Kihindi na mawaziri kadhaa wenye asili ya Kiarabu.

Nafikiri jambo la kwanza ni kuwa mishahara ni midogo. Huwezi kumtegemea mtu afanye kazi katika sehemu yenye mshahara mdogo wakati ana uwezo wa kustruggle na kufungua kampuni yake ambayo baada ya miaka kadhaa itakuwa inamlipa vizuri.

Pili kuna ukabila ambalo unaanzia tokea chini. Kiasili India kuna casts ambazo zinawajenga wengine kudhani ni bora kuliko wengine. Dharau na tabia za wachache tunazichukulia kuwa ndio tabia za wote. Tunawatenga wote na wao wanajitenga. Wanaanzisha shule zao, hospitali zao, mitaa yao, na tunapata jamii ndani ya jamii.

Juu ya hivyo, lisingelikuwa tatizo kama serikali ingeweza kushughulikia. Nchi kama Singapore na Malaysia zimeweza ku integrate watu wa asili ya Malay, India na China licha ya kuwa nao wamejitenga kimakazi katika mji.

Serikali ingejaribu kuthamini 'sifa' za kila kundi la kiraia nafikiri tungeweza kufika mbali zaidi hata kimaendeleo.

MMKJJ,
I want to acknowledge that this subject is important and deserves special attention.However before we attempt at answering the hard questions that u have raised we need to have a common understanding of what DIVERSITY is and its potential in promoting among other things efficiency not only in public service but also in business.

Diversity is not just a mere wish or thought but rather it is a "commitment" to "recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes and celebrates individual and collective achievement".These could be age, culture; disability (mental, learning, physical); economic background; education; ethnicity; gender identity; geographic background etc...

In Tanzania I know that the government has in place a strategy/plan that addresses diversity alongside gender and HIV AIDS. It is common knowledge that the Government has take deliberate measures to ensure gender equality. This includes taking up affirmative actions that will promote women's participation not only in economic development activities but also in politics and governance.What I am not sure of is the inclusion of the other diversity criteria in plans and strategies.

I also suspect that majority of the people are yet to come out of " Africanisation" era whereby immediately after independence, the colonial power had to surrender most of the positions to Africans as part of "handing over" power to the people of Tanganyika. I am not sure if there was a time frame for that....unfortunately we are still Africanising todate lol!

Ubalozi wa Tanzania Marekani kuna M-Asia tena sio interracial. Na kuna interacial mmoja wa kiasia yuko PCCB ninaemjua!

Well..we know they are here; we work with them, we work for them, we go to school with them and we have served the national service with them. We have had them in the TPDF as well as in the Police Force (I remember some Singh and Khan). From the very beginning of our Republic Tanzanians of Asian, Arab and European ancestry have served well and some with distinction such as the late Maj. Gen. John Walden (Commander Black Mamba).

As I look at the make up of our nation's top leadership I'm beginning to worry and wonder what is happening. Have we failed in our experiment with diversity and inclusion of people of different races who claim Tanzanian citizenship? Have we failed in recruiting all Tanzanians in our public service? How can we fight international criminal gangs or organized crime for example without the help of all Tanzanians? Without the help of Tanzanians of all races how can we create strong national intelligence service? I don't know if we have Tanzanians of different races in our embassies abroad serving in different capacities.

Have we now created a de facto one race public service or nation where only black people serve in public service? Is this good for the nation? How can we restore a sense of pride and true unity by including all colors of our nations make up? Or the only other venue for Tanzanians of non-african ancestry to serve is in the politics arena and nowhere else?

Why there is no: Tanzanian of non-african ancestry in

a. In the Court of Appeal
b. In the High Court
c. In TPDF High Command (National and Regional)
d. In Police and Prison Service High Command (National and Regional)
e. In Intelligence Service (none hold any directorial position, I know of no one serving at the HQ)
e. In Regional Commissioners
f. In DCs
.. etc

And even more amazing..

Why we don't see them in the Cabinet or as Deputies? Are there any magistrates in Tanzanian who are of non-African ancestry? What about in our Foreign Service, how many works at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or any other Ministry's HQ?in our is the number somewhat representative of the the group in our population?

What are we doing wrong? I mean African-Americans make only about 12 percent of US's population but they are almost everywhere in the public service, why in a nation which only 40 or so years ago some of its political elite cried "segregation now, segregation forever" now stands in the world as a symbol of diversity promoted and welcomed. Do our political leadership have a role to play to recruit minorities in Tanzanian into the public service? Do we need to learn how to do this from countries that have made major strides in this area? I mean.. even the former Governor General of Canada is a black woman (originally from Haiti).

How can we include our racial minority in our public service? Will it shock some Tanzanians to hear that so and so has been appointed a High Court Judge or head of certain government institution? Especially if her/his name is a Smith or a Patel? I'm longing to see that happen, we have to restore what Tanzania is all about.. we got lost somewhere, we sure did.

hilo ni jema ukitafakari KWA MUDA wao ndio WABAGUZI hatuwaoni vijiwe vya kahawa hatuwaoni wanakata magogo na kuchoma mkaa hatuwaoni wakihudumia waTz kama mama ntilie huku askari wa jiji wakiwanyang'anya sefuria hatuwaoni kwenye gongo..... mwanangu hao hawajaja leo hapa tz KWELI KABISA WAO NDIO WABAGUZI!

Juu ya hivyo, lisingelikuwa tatizo kama serikali ingeweza kushughulikia. Nchi kama Singapore na Malaysia zimeweza ku integrate watu wa asili ya Malay, India na China licha ya kuwa nao wamejitenga kimakazi katika mji.

Serikali ingejaribu kuthamini 'sifa' za kila kundi la kiraia nafikiri tungeweza kufika mbali zaidi hata kimaendeleo.

Gaijin,
Bila kuangalia sana mambo ya ubaguzi na mambo ya castes etc, nadhani umeongea point nzito sana hapo kwenye bold. Unajua unapokuwa na mchanganyiko wa kitu chochote unapata kitu bora zaidi. Nadhani wengi tunafahamu kwa mfano, nchi kama Marekani pamoja na kuendelea sana na uwezo walio nao, hawajataka kujifungia na kufanya kila kitu wenyewe japo uwezo huo wanao. Wanayo hadi DIVERSITY LOTTERY ambapo watu kutoka nchi kadhaa duniani kote hushiriki na kuweza kupata green card ya kwenda kuishi na kufanya kazi Marekani mradi una elimu ya sekondari na umewahi kufanya kazi angalau miaka miwili uweze kuwa na ujuzi . Hii ni kwa sababu bado wanataka the best! Hata Tanzania tungeweza kuwa na sera maalum ya kutufanya tuweze kupata watu wenye akili/ujuzi wa kila kabila, umbile, rangi, etc ili kwa pamoja tufanye kazi kuleta maendeleo na ufanisi. Mfano, inasemekana kwamba watu walio na ulemavu wa kutembea siyo rahisi sana kuzurura saa za kazi,tunajua moja ya tatizo la watanzania ni kutokutilia sehemu za kazi kwa sababu mbalimbali kama kwenda kunywa chai etc. hebu imagine watu hawa wangepewa fursa zaidi ufanisi ungekuwaje? huu ni mfano tu wa uzuri wa diversity. Mifano ni mingi. Kuna race nyingine wako makini sana katika kubana matumizi, wengine wako sharp sana kwenye kutafuta mambo/nusanusa habari etc.

I think hawa watu wamejikita sana kwenye Business, sio mbaya its just specialization; Most of them have been raised as enterpreneurs, as you know ukilelewa kwenye familia ya kimichezo there is a big chance na wewe utakuwa a sports person e.g matumla family, njohole family to name just a few....

Kwahiyo probably biashara itakapoanza kuwa ngumu as of now other people Tanzanians of African ancestry wameanza kuingilia hii issue probably nao itabidi waingie pengine kutafuta ajira, Just like in America ilivyokuwa kwa Black americans kwenye sports, Lakini sasa sababu ya kipato kuwa kikubwa huko even white americans wanataka kuingia kwa wingi

kama Moshi

Kwa jinsi tunavyowasulubu hao wachache waliojiingiza kwenye siasa, kweli unashangaa kwa nini wengine hawajitokezi?

Amandla....

Ubalozi wa Tanzania Marekani kuna M-Asia tena sio interracial. Na kuna interacial mmoja wa kiasia yuko PCCB ninaemjua!
Makindi N, angalia usija ukachanganya waajiriwa wa ofisi zutu za ubalozi, ambao wanaajiriwa kama local staff ndio ukaita intergaration no.

Balozi zetu kote zinaajiri wazawa wa nchi husika kama local staff wake. Mpishi na mfanyakazi wa ndani kwa Ubalozi wetu kule Afrika Kusini ni wazungu.

Dereva wa Balozi wetu nichi Italia ni Muitaliano. Sina kumbukumbu ya mwanabalozi wetu halisi kuwa ni minority.

Hawafanyi serikalini lakini wanatoa huduma za kijamii

Kuna madaktari wengi sana wenye asili ya Asia ambao wanatumika nchini. Camps za huduma ya afya ndani na nje ya nchi zimekuwa zikiendeshwa na watu wa asili ya Asia. Pamoja na kufungua hospitali zinzohudumia watu wa aina zote.

Wamefungua shule ambapo kabla ya kuanza hizi shule za 'Saints' na 'Academy' zilikuwa zikiongoza katika mitihani ya taifa na wametoa nafasi nyingi kwa non-Asians. Katika shule hizi wanatoa scholarships kwa wanafunzi wasiokuwa na uwezo kila mwaka. Scholarships hizo zinajumuisha adminstration fees, school fees, pamoja na vitabu.

Mchango wao wanatoa lakini ni nje ya mfumo wa serikali.

Mimi ananilinda huyu....

sikh-cops.jpg

Back
Top Bottom