Darwinism and Racism

MaxShimba

JF-Expert Member
Apr 11, 2008

Darwinism and Racism
The complete title of Darwin's most famous work, often abbreviated to The Origin of Species, was The Origin. of Species by Means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. As Koster notes about Darwin's view on race, he:

'never considered "the less civilized races" to be authentically human. For all his decent hatred of slavery, his writings reek with all kinds of contempt for "primitive" people. Racism was culturally conditioned into educated Victorians by such "scientific" parlor tricks as Morton's measuring of brainpans with BB shot to prove that Africans and Indians had small brains, and hence, had deficient minds and intellects. Meeting the simple Indians of Tierra del Fuego, Darwin wrote: "I could not have believed how wide was the difference between savage and civilized man; it is greater than between a wild and domesticated animal . . . Viewing such a man, one can hardly make oneself believe that they are fellow creatures and inhabitants of the same world."44

Darwin's belief that some races (such as blacks) were inferior to others became so widely accepted that, as Haller concluded: 'the subject of race inferiority was beyond critical reach in the late nineteenth century.45 Although Darwin opposed all forms of slavery, he did conclude that one of the strongest evidences for evolution was the existence of living 'primitive races' which he believed were evolutionarily between the 'civilized races of man' and the gorilla:

'At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate, and replace, the savage races throughout the world. At the same time, the anthropomorphous apes. . . will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene between man in a more civilized state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as a baboon, instead of as now between the Negro or Australian and the gorilla. ... It has often been said ... that man can resist with impunity the greatest diversities of climate and other changes; but this is true only of the civilized races. Man in his wild condition seems to be in this respect almost as susceptible as his nearest allies, the anthropoid apes, which have never yet survived long, when removed from their native country.' 46

The missing link wasn't missing but, many evolutionists of the time concluded, lived in Australia and other faroffplaces.47 The existence of some living races was openly viewed as irrefutable evidence of a graduation of living creatures 'linking' humans to the monkeys (or today 'to our common primate ancestor'). This 'scientific conclusion' was interpreted as compelling evidence for evolution, thus a large number of biology textbooks of the time discussed the 'hierarchy of the races' topic.

The man who some regard as the actual modern 'discoverer' of evolution by natural selection, Alfred Russell Wallace, also espoused essentially the same idea.48 In his words,

'the weak dying was necessary to improve the race because in every generation the inferior would inevitably be killed off leaving the superior-that is, only the fittest would survive.'49

This was the essence of Darwinism, and race differences and fitness of these differences (racism) was at its core.

Although Darwin was far less racist than many of his disciples, especially Spencer, Haeckel, Hooton, Pearson, and Huxley, his theory provided the basis for the latters' extreme racism. As Poliakov 50 noted, Darwin's primary spokesman in Germany, Ernest Haeckel, was 'the great ancestor' of Nazi biology theoreticians. Importantly, Darwin did little to oppose this conclusion which spread like wild-fire from his works.51 Since Darwin's writings were critical in the development of evolutionary theory, his thoughts on the application of his theory of racism are crucial to understand how the racism theory spawned. Although he was known as a kind and gentle man, Darwin openly gave his support to eugenic ideas which gradually won acceptance in the scientific community, both in Europe and the United States. Darwin, evidently highly influenced by his early theological and religious training, said:

'I have always maintained that excepting fools, men did not differ much in intellect, only in zeal and hard work.'

Later, convinced that the eugenic theory was valid,

'In The Descent of Man, Darwin canonized Galton with the words; "we now know, through the admirable labours of Mr Galton, that genius . . . tends to be inherited.' 52

By the beginning of the 19th century, every discussion of social problems was permeated with 'scientific notions of class [and] race,' and that

'nearly every one of these theories had some practical applications as its corollary: political, social or cultural; and meanwhile biological research, anthropology and the science of language had intensified, not abated, the use of "race thinking".' 53

Even Chambers in his classic Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation, about which Darwin said that without this book he might never have written The Origin of Species, concluded that the Negro was 'at the foot of' the Mongol, the Yellow race between, and Caucasians at the top.54 Chambers himself taught that the 'various races of mankind, are simply . . . stages in the development of the highest or Caucasian type. . .' and that the Blacks were the least developed, and the Caucasians were the highest, most evolved race.55

Darwin anadai kuwa Waafrika na Wahindi ni mbumbumbu na hawana akili kama wao wazungu.

Darwin ni muongo, racist na hafai kufuatwa hata kidogo.

Reason Number One:
We now have a black President in the US of A.

Reason Number Two:
We had a Black Secretary of State. Cond Rice is a current one so far.

Why on earth should I believe in a person like Darwin whose theorems are in defacto.

Reason Number Three:
We do have living exhibits that black are not inferior to whites, because we now have a black president in the US of A.

Reason Number Four:
We have exhibits that Blacks and Indians are normal people. The CEO of Citi Bank, NA is an Indian. There are millions of Phd holders who are Blacks and Indians.

Darwin was a racist so as his followers.

Last edited:

'never considered "the less civilized races" to be authentically human. For all his decent hatred of slavery, his writings reek with all kinds of contempt for "primitive" people. Racism was culturally conditioned into educated Victorians by such "scientific" parlor tricks as Morton's measuring of brainpans with BB shot to prove that Africans and Indians had small brains, and hence, had deficient minds and intellects. Meeting the simple Indians of Tierra del Fuego, Darwin wrote: "I could not have believed how wide was the difference between savage and civilized man; it is greater than between a wild and domesticated animal . . . Viewing such a man, one can hardly make oneself believe that they are fellow creatures and inhabitants of the same world.

Darwin probably was a Racist, as were most white people at the time.
Comparatively Darwin was progressive due to his stand against slavery as you have noted. Secondly Darwin is not a God i.e he does not have followers and I as a black man who believes in Darwin's theory am definitely not a racist I assure you.

It is a common trick to try to attack the messenger instead of the message. It is known as the ad hominem argument.

wikipedia said:
An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.

It is most commonly used to refer specifically to the ad hominem as abusive, sexist, racist, or argumentum ad personam, which consists of criticizing or attacking the person who proposed the argument (personal attack) in an attempt to discredit the argument. It is also used when an opponent is unable to find fault with an argument, yet for various reasons, the opponent disagrees with it.

Comparatively Darwin was progressive due to his stand against slavery as you have noted. Secondly Darwin is not a God i.e he does not have followers and I as a black man who believes in Darwin's theory am definitely not a racist I assure you.

It is a common trick to try to attack the messenger instead of the message. It is known as the ad hominem argument.

Haha ahaha ahaha ahaha ahaha.

Kwanza pole sana kwa kuwa na upungufu wa kumwelea mtume wako Darwin the Racist.

Pili ni aibu kuliko kifani Mtume wako unayemshabikia Darwin the Racist ambaye alidai kuwa Waafrikka hawana akili, utabiri wake wote umekuwa ni uongo na umejaa chuki kwa Waafrika ambao wameonyesha kwa uwezo ulio pita kifani kuwa ni wenye vipaji vya hali ya juu. Kama nilivyo weke kwenye Exhibits zangu hapo juu.

Tatu, umeshindwa kukubali au kukataa kuwa Mtume wako Darwin the Racist utabiri wake wote kuhusu Waafrika umegonga ukuta na kuwa wa UONGO.

Nne, mbona ndugu zako wamekukimbia na kuiogopa hii thread?

DARWIN WAS A RACIST AND A LIAR.

KAMA UNAUBAVU WA KUPINGA, LETE USHAIDI TUONE.

Last edited:

Darwin was a racist. Period. Stop your blah blah here. umesikia wewe Kang.

Acha kuleta nonsense zako hapa. Jamaa yenu alikuwa KKK mkubwa. Eti unasema probably he was, huna hoja wewe, mfuasi wa Racist. Ni bora kukaa kimya kama ndugu zako. Hamna hoja wala nini. Mwaka huu mmepata kiboko yenu.

Hivi huoni kuwa ndugu zako wote wamekimbia hii thread?

Darwin was a racist. Period. Stop your blah blah here. umesikia wewe Kang.

Acha kuleta nonsense zako hapa. Jamaa yenu alikuwa KKK mkubwa. Eti unasema probably he was, huna hoja wewe, mfuasi wa Racist. Ni bora kukaa kimya kama ndugu zako. Hamna hoja wala nini. Mwaka huu mmepata kiboko yenu.

Hivi huoni kuwa ndugu zako wote wamekimbia hii thread?

Wamekimbia kwa kwa kutotoka kubisha na watu wasioleta point zozote!! Wanapiga kelele tu na kuandika KWA HERUFI KUBWA NA NYEKUNDU ili waonekane ndo wana sauti zaidi.

Wamekimbia kwa kwa kutotoka kubisha na watu wasioleta point zozote!! Wanapiga kelele tu na kuandika KWA HERUFI KUBWA NA NYEKUNDU ili waonekane ndo wana sauti zaidi.

Hakuna atakaye wakimbia FOOLS. Darwin Mtume wako was a RACIST. KAMA UNABISHA LETE USHAIDI TUONE.

I ASKED YOU GUYS TO PROVE TO ME THAT GOD DOES NOT EXISTS. NOW IT IS A FIFTH WEEK SINCE I ASKED YOU FOOLS. TO DATE ALL OF YOU GUYS HAVE FAILED TO SUPPORT YOUR BOGUS BELIEVE.

NONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE THE ABILITY TO IMPUGN THIS POST, THAT DARWIN WAS A RACIST. ALL I GET FROM YOU GUYS IS BLAHING BLAHING KIBAO ZISIZO NA KICHWA WALA MIGUU

Separate the argument from the messenger Max!!

PEDOPHILE CATHOLIC PRIEST CONFESSED DIRECTLY TO THE POPE IN 1973, BUT "HIS HOLINESS" TOOK NO ACTION. LATER, OVER 50 CHILDREN WERE MOLESTED AND RAPED!

Bora kumfuata racist kuliko kumfuata mlinda wabakaji wa watoto!! Kumwita Darwin Mtume ndo umonyesha uelewo wako wa sayansi ulivyokua mdogo!! hatuna mitume wala miungu wala sacred cows!! Tunafuata evidence and reason! you should try it sometime its refreshing!!

1. Tortured Pedophile priest, James Porter, wrote a 17-page letter to "His Holiness", Pope Paul VI, completely confessing his sexual molestation and rape of children. Porter then asked to be relieved of his duties, undoubtedly because he did not want to continue his compulsive sexual abuse!

2. "His Holiness", Pope Paul VI, did nothing! He took no action. He did not care about the plight of the poor innocent children one little bit.

3. The only action recorded was that the Bishop moved Porter to the Fall River Diocese, where Porter proceeded to molest and rape 50 more children over the years he was serving there!

4. Not only did Pope Paul VI know that Porter was raping children, but so did Fall River Bishop James Connolly and the late Cardinal Humberto Medeiros! Yet, not one of them ever, ever contacted the police. Not one of them ever took the common sense step of reassigning "Father" Porter so he could not have access to children.

Hiyo ndo kazi ya number one wa Mungu duniani jamani umeona hayo Max? Gods right hand man on earth ndo anochofanya hicho! Kwa sababu wewe na yeye mko sawa wote mnang'ang'ania vitu in the face of overwhelming evidence! Eti mna faith!!!

Separate the argument from the messenger Max!!

PEDOPHILE CATHOLIC PRIEST CONFESSED DIRECTLY TO THE POPE IN 1973, BUT "HIS HOLINESS" TOOK NO ACTION. LATER, OVER 50 CHILDREN WERE MOLESTED AND RAPED!

Bora kumfuata racist kuliko kumfuata mlinda wabakaji wa watoto!! Kumwita Darwin Mtume ndo umonyesha uelewo wako wa sayansi ulivyokua mdogo!! hatuna mitume wala miungu wala sacred cows!! Tunafuata evidence and reason! you should try it sometime its refreshing!!

1. Tortured Pedophile priest, James Porter, wrote a 17-page letter to "His Holiness", Pope Paul VI, completely confessing his sexual molestation and rape of children. Porter then asked to be relieved of his duties, undoubtedly because he did not want to continue his compulsive sexual abuse!

2. "His Holiness", Pope Paul VI, did nothing! He took no action. He did not care about the plight of the poor innocent children one little bit.

3. The only action recorded was that the Bishop moved Porter to the Fall River Diocese, where Porter proceeded to molest and rape 50 more children over the years he was serving there!

4. Not only did Pope Paul VI know that Porter was raping children, but so did Fall River Bishop James Connolly and the late Cardinal Humberto Medeiros! Yet, not one of them ever, ever contacted the police. Not one of them ever took the common sense step of reassigning "Father" Porter so he could not have access to children.

Hiyo ndo kazi ya number one wa Mungu duniani jamani umeona hayo Max? Gods right hand man on earth ndo anochofanya hicho! Kwa sababu wewe na yeye mko sawa wote mnang'ang'ania vitu in the face of overwhelming evidence! Eti mna faith!!!

Ha ahha ahaha ahahaha ahahaa ahaha ahaha

You have failed to impugn my thread and decide to post your bogus argument at the wrong thread.

This is what I call JUISI YA PILIPILI, watu wakishindwa, basi wanaanza kuandika maneno yasiyo na kichwa wala miguu.

Darwin MTUME WAKO alikuwa racist. Hongera sana kwa kufuata racist na mtume aliyetabiri uongo kwa WAAFRIKA.

Utabiri wake wote umeshindwa, sasa tuna Raisi Mweusi hapa US of A. Inclusive Two Secretaries of State.

Ma CEO na wenye PHD kibao.

Ha ahha ahaha ahahaha ahahaa ahaha ahaha

You have failed to impugn my thread and decide to post your bogus argument at the wrong thread.

This is what I call JUISI YA PILIPILI, watu wakishindwa, basi wanaanza kuandika maneno yasiyo na kichwa wala miguu.

Darwin MTUME WAKO alikuwa racist. Hongera sana kwa kufuata racist na mtume aliyetabiri uongo kwa WAAFRIKA.

Utabiri wake wote umeshindwa, sasa tuna Raisi Mweusi hapa US of A. Inclusive Two Secretaries of State.

Ma CEO na wenye PHD kibao.

Hahahahaha bado unafunga macho sio!!! Aya bwana wapeleke tu watoto wako kwa hao wazee ila don't say I didn't warn you!

That is not bogus my friend, just google it for yourself, and you will see.

Last edited:
Hahahahaha bado unafunga macho sio!!! Aya bwana wapeleke tu watoto wako kwa hao wazee ila don't say I didn't warn you!

That is not bogus my friend, just google it for yourself, and you will see.

I don't need to google any thing. Tell me, do we have a Black President in the US of A; YES or NO

Do we have a Black Secretary of State in the US of A; YES or NO

Is CEO of CIT Bank NA an Indian; YES or NO

I can go on and on and on to infinity.

Nenda kwa Mke wako kama unaye, yeye ndie atakuwa na wakati na muda wa kusikiliza utumbo wako wa Darwin the White Racist. Not here in JF.

Neeeeeeext

Last edited:

'After 1859, the evolutionary scheme raised additional questions, particularly whether or not Afro-Americans could survive competition with their white near relations. The momentous answer [from the scientists] was a resounding no . .. The African was inferior-he represented the missing link between ape and Teuton. '

Darwin was keenly aware of the implications of his theory on race. In the sixth chapter of The Descent of Man, he speculated that survival of the fittest pressures would eventually eliminate both the black race, which he considered inferior, and other 'lower races'. In addition, he concluded:

'I could show [that war had] done and [is] doing [much] . . . for the progress of civilization . . . The more civilized so-called Caucasian races have beaten the Turkish hollow in the struggle for existence. Looking to the world at no very distant date . . . an endless number of lower races will have been eliminated by the higher civilized races throughout the world.' 77

I don't need to google any thing. Tell me, do we a Black President in the US of A; YES or NO

Nenda kwa Mke wako kama unaye, yeye ndie atakuwa na wakati na muda wa kusikiliza utumbo wako wa Darwin the White Racist. Not here in JF.

Neeeeeeext

Kang hawezi kukujibu. Lazima akimbie. Wewe subiri, utaona anakuja na mambo mengine na vimaswali vyao vya kingumbaru au kutoka google.

Jamaa wamefilisika kimawazo na kifikra. Hivi ninavyo andika jamaa yupo bizee kugoogle, anatafuta majibu lakini google ime mgoogle.

Kang hawezi kukujibu. Lazima akimbie. Wewe subiri, utaona anakuja na mambo mengine na vimaswali vyao vya kingumbaru au kutoka google.

Jamaa wamefilisika kimawazo na kifikra. Hivi ninavyo andika jamaa yupo bizee kugoogle, anatafuta majibu lakini google ime mgoogle.

Genesisi, asante.

Kwahiyo hawa jamaa wa upenzi wa darwin the racist ELIMU YAO INATOKA GOOGLE.

HAWANA CHOCHOTE NA SI LOLOTE, NDIO MAANA WAMESHINDWA KUMJIBU MAX SWALI LAKE LILOKAAA ZAIDI YA WIKI TANO SASA.

GOOGLE IMEWA DEBUNK.

WALIFIKIRI GOOGLE ITAWAPA JIBU.

HAHAH AHHA AHAHA AHAHA AAAAA

Darwin was a racist so as his followers.

You haven't explained why Darwin should be considered more racist than
other men of his time.

You haven't explained why, if he were, it would be problem for
evolutionary science.

You haven't explained why, when Hitler made no reference to Darwin or
evolution, it meant he was "an evolutionist", but when he said he was
doing God's will, it meant he wasn't a theist.

You don't have to explain why you are attacking the reputation of
Chas. Darwin rather than pointing out the scientific problems with
evolutionary theories.

Haha haha haha ahaha

Mpenzi wa Popobawa, jibu maswali bana. Acha kimbia bana.

You haven't explained why Darwin should be considered more racist than
other men of his time.

You haven't explained why, if he were, it would be problem for
evolutionary science.

You don't have to explain why you are attacking the reputation of
Chas. Darwin rather than pointing out the scientific problems with
evolutionary theories.

Darwin was a racist, more than any racist ever happened. He reached a point of calling Blacks and Indian that, akili zao ni fupi, pamoja na wewe.

Evolutionary science failed to predict the future. Wanacho juwa wao ni historia na kuigeuza kuwa sayansi.

About Hitler, go to German and ask them why he behave the way he behaved, or to Austria.

I don't need to google any thing. Tell me, do we have a Black President in the US of A; YES or NO

Neeeeeeext

Lol! mbona unajichanganya sasa wapi nimekataa kuwa US Prez is black(mixed actually so he is as much white as he is black) or Secreatary of state is black? Huyo indian simjui but il take ur word for it.

Unachoshindwa kuona ni kua Darwin ndo aliweka mwanzo wa ushahidi kuwa watu wa race tofauti wako sawa. DNA (ambapo evolution ndo inatokea) testing inaonyesha kuwa wote tumetoka sehemu mmoja na tofauti zetu ni very minor, so we should all thank Darwin for setting the stage. Evolution unites us all, because we all came out of the primordial soup!!

Kama unataka kuona ubaguzi isome hiyo Biblia vizuri ambayo ndo ilitumika kujustify utumwa enzi hizo. Unakataa?

Darwin was a Racist I have already admitted, but a scientific theory stands without the man, unlike religion.

They can never answer anything!! All they know is their gang mentality and repeatedly shouting the same thing like its gonna change anything!! We will not be bullied here!! Answer the questions!!!

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Back
Top Bottom