CSOs Funding Saga: Was Minister Mwigulu Nchemba misquoted?

beth

JF-Expert Member
Aug 19, 2012
Here is what he just wrote in defense of his earlier 'misquoted' statement about the CSOs fund disbursement.

Note: The language shift is mine.
--

As the Minister in charge of Finance, I have a responsibility to inform Development Partners about our budget systems. That is what I did in our meeting with the USAID few days ago.

The government has no intention to collect the funds directed to CSOs, but we advise the funding to be in line with our goals.

I urge CSOs to align their activities with the National Development Vision 2025 and the 5-Year Development Plan so that the Government, Private Sector and Communities through CSOs can work together to bring about Development in our country. I also encourage DPs to provide more funds to our CSOs.

Funds that Development Partners send directly to CSOs are managed by CSO Boards in accordance with the NGOs Act. Similarly, the money spent by the Government must comply with the Budget Act and the Public Finance Act.

Basically, we did not imply that the CSOs funds should be deposited to the Treasury.

End of the quote.

My Take: With this elaborative clarification, I strongly believe that Dr Nchemba was either misquoted or there was a crisis of articulation in his tweet - which most news sources regard it as their point of reference.

What is your take?

Back
Top Bottom