Copy and Paste Anti-Covid 19 measures hit Hard East African Countries

blix22

JF-Expert Member
Jun 23, 2013
By: Kimathi Njoroge, Mombasa

April 20,2020

There is an old saying that a falcon cannot bear the falconer. The saying is compared to some East African countries that have copied and pasted Western countries anti-COVID 19 measures. Specifically, I write in the view of my lovely country, Kenya.

In academic sphere, Copy and Paste is academic suicide. This is no difference with copied and pasted measures against anti- COVID-19 measures in the World.

In East African Context, each country opted her measures against COVID-19. But most countries in the region excluding our neighbours Tanzania copied and pasted Lockdown Western style.

It is unfortunate that there has been no single coordinated formula in these countries to fight COVID-19.

Now western styles against COVID-19 in Eastern countries have started to backfire.

For example, Kenyan government has today told the public that it plans to re-open domestic flights and other travels to save the economy.

The statement posted by BBC news stated clearly that Kenyan economy has been badly hit by total lockdown. The statement went further by stating that the country is also set to open up local tourism to save its economy.

It should be noted that - Kenya is a middle income country that will not benefit the debt relief provided by World Bank and IMF to poor African countries. We have addresses this many times to Kenya government.

In our neighbours Rwanda, the situation is the same. Yesterday, the country lamented for lockdown effects while pledging to continue with it. The government said it was becoming tough to feed all Rwandese on the pretext that the number of needy people is too high compared with the government's capacity

In Uganda the situation is not different, Ugandans have been hit bitterly and hardly economically by the total lockdown.

I spoke to my friends in Uganda - the majority are asking the government to re-open up businesses.

President Kaguta Museveni has resisted his peoples call telling them that if you were poor before COVID-19 you will remain poor after COVID-19.

It should be noted that last week the World Bank warned some African countries including Kenya against their copy and paste anti-COVID 19 behaviours.

These countries were advised to use their think-tanks to plan best measures that suits their environment.

Few countries in Africa have not copied and pasted Western countries. These include among others our neighbours Burundi and Tanzania.

I researched over Tanzania’s measures and found despite the allegations against our neighbours, all World Health Organisation's anti- COVID-19 measures are in place but has not closed its borders. The country has neither halted domestic flights nor businesses shut down.

It is possible that Tanzania analysed anti western COVID-19 measures and concluded that they will not bearfruits in the region.

Recently, President John Magufuli told the congregation in the church that Tanzania is surrounded by eight countries that depend on it to survive adding that if we close the borders citizens in these countries will die. What kind of lovely gesture in our regional friendship!

This was a strong statement coming from the leader whose country is also fighting COVID-19.

If this is not enough, President Magufuli asked Tanzanian to hold three days prayers against Covid-19. Prayers lifted the souls and minds of many people despite the existing stressing virus.

It is said in Latin that _Gaudele cum gaudentibus_ meaning that enjoy with those who enjoy. In my opinion, God through Tanzanians prayers will cover all of us in the region so long as we are attached to them.

It seems, Tanzanian style is bearing fruits and interests other countries in Africa and World at large.

Today, President Nana Akufo Ado has ordered the lock down meaningless and told his citizens come out and work to save the economy.

At the same time, things are jumping from the pan to the fire in the US. Americans have flocked in the streets demanding the lock down orders in states to be lifted because they have badly hit them economically.

In Sweden, the government has ordered people to come out and work to save the economy while taking measures against COVID-19.

These are symptoms that most countries in the world will open up their economy while taking measures against COVID-19 because lockdown will no longer be a permanent solution.

I think, this should be the lesson to us, especially the East African countries that whenever something bad happens we must be united and put our efforts towards the solution that works for us and serve our region.

Thank you.

Hii inatokea pale ambapo kipaumbele cha serikali ni kodi na sio watu, hivi utapata vipi pesa kama watu wakiugua au kufa?

Back
Top Bottom