By ROGER RUBIN and MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Monday, April 7th 2008, 1:46 PM
ewing4.jpg

ewing-723868.jpg

nba.jpg

EwingHigh.jpg

EwingLow.jpg

SAN ANTONIO - Knicks great Patrick Ewing was elected to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in his first appearance on the ballot.

Upon being summoned to the dais at the announcement ceremony here at the Final Four, Ewing smiled and said "this means a lot. I'm being recognized for all the blood, sweat and tears I put into a 17-year career.

"This is a dream come true," he added.

Ewing, now an assistant coach with the Orlando Magic, received a tribute and warm reception at the Garden Sunday night when the Magic and Knicks played. He is being enshrined with Adrian Dantley, Hakeem Olajuwon, former Knicks coach Pat Riley, Immaculata College coach Cathy Rush and announcer Dick Vitale.

Ewing will become the 13th Knick player to be inducted and first since Bob McAdoo in 2000. He finished his career in 2000 as the Knicks' No. 1 all-time scorer and rebounder and their leader in many other categories. He had his No. 33 retired in 2003 after a 17-year NBA career.

Ewing has been mentioned as a candidate to be an assistant coach with the Knicks if Mark Jackson is hired by new president Donnie Walsh.

Although he never led the Knicks to an NBA title in his 15 seasons playing in the Garden, Ewing left an indelible mark on New York. A former No. 1 overall pick in 1985 after a storied career at Georgetown, he led the Knicks to the postseason for 13 consecutive seasons, four Eastern Conference finals and two trips to the NBA Finals, in 1994 and 1999. Although he didn't fulfill expectations - he was expected to lead New York to at least one title - he was called by Willis Reed, among others, the greatest player in team annals.

"We got to the mountain but never got over the top," Ewing said Sunday night about failing to win an NBA title. "It's something I wish I could have done for New York."

Ewing's career in New York ended in Sept., 2000, when he was traded to the Seattle SuperSonics in a multi-player deal. Since Ewing's departure, the franchise has made the playoffs only twice and has not posted a playoff victory since 2001.

Ewing, who turns 46 in August, was selected to the NBA's prestigious 50 Top Players of All-time team in 1996. He was a seven-time All-NBA selection and 11-time All-Star. Since his career ended, he has been an assistant coach with Houston and the Magic.

The ceremony will be held in September in Springfield,
Ma.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...patrick_ewing_elected_to_hall_of_fame_in.html[/media]

Kudos to the big guy..... Jamaa kwa kweli pamoja na kwamba hakupata NBA Championship wengi walimkubali enzi zake kuwa one of the great in "The Garden"

Ewing ni moja kati ya vipaji NBA vilivyotoka kwa mungu.

ingawa mpaka sasa NBA kuna mvuto tena mkubwa tu, ila siku akisimama jamaa kwenye dimba la madison square basi watu watasimama huku wakimpigia makofi na kumvulia kofia.
dah game theory leo umenikumbusha moja kati ya mashujaa wa juu kabisa wa NBA...big up