California history teacher suspended for comparing Donald Trump to Adolf Hitler

Informer

JF-Expert Member
Jul 29, 2006
3898fb5ec212cf313b87fc750510b961.jpg

MAREKANI: Mwalimu wa somo la Historia katika Shule ya Mountain View, Calif iliyopo Jijini California, aliyemfananisha kwa mifano kadhaa Rais Mteule, Donald Trump na aliyewahi kuwa Dikteta wa nchi ya Ujerumani, Adolf Hitler amesimamishwa kazi.

Hata hivyo uongozi wa shule utakutana siku ya leo ili kuangalia kama kuna uwezekano wa kumrudisha kazini Mwalimu huyo.

Aidha Mwalimu huyo amesema kuwa amepokea barua pepe kadhaa kutoka kwa Wazazi wa Wanafunzi wake wakimuunga mkono, huku yeye akidai kuwa alitoa kauli hiyo ili kuweka uhalisia katika somo lake.

=====

A Mountain View, Calif., history teacher has been suspended for comparing Republican President-elect Donald Trump to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler in a post-election history lesson.

Veteran teacher Frank Navarro, who has taught at Mountain View High School for 40 years, said he was suspended Thursday, after a student’s parent emailed the school to complain about his lecture.

Navarro said the parent accused him of saying, “Donald Trump grabs p---y.”

Navarro, a Holocaust scholar who has three daughters, said he never would have spoken that way. He argued that his lesson was not biased, but fact-based.

“I had a short lesson paralleling Hitler with Trump when Hitler was running from 1930 to 1933,” Navarro told the Daily News.

“Hitler said he would make Germany great again, and Donald Trump said he would make America great again,” Navarro said.

He also noted that both leaders vowed to deport foreigners.

“I told the principal as I told my students, that these are all factually based and that I am not making anything up,” he said.

Navarro hasn’t worked since Thursday — his classes have temporarily been taken over by a substitute teacher — but he hopes to return to the classroom next week.

84e61a2026d997deeb4fdf9474d04c40.jpg

In the meantime, he said he’s received a number of emails from parents who support him.

Nearly 10,000 people signed a change.org petition supporting Navarro as of Sunday afternoon.

“It is dangerous and disgusting that the administration has decided to punish him for drawing parallels between two similarly dangerous moments in history,” it reads.

Navarro said his aim in comparing Trump to Hitler was to “make the history relevant and show them that these issues have been around for a long time and are probably not going away.”

The school’s administration will meet on Monday to discuss Navarro’s return to the classroom.

Mountain View/Los Altos High School District Superintendent Jeff Harding said he’d like to restore Navarro to his teaching post.

“We are interested in getting Frank back in the classroom ... we’re just trying to maintain our due diligence,” he told The Mercury News. “We have a heightened environment right now with the election. It’s always a challenge to maintain a line in a classroom.”

Navarro thinks he is owed an apology before he returns.

“I am feeling a lot of stress on this and my wife is very unhappy about this too. But we’ll get through this. I think it will work itself out,” he said.

Source: Daily News

Back
Top Bottom