British govt hails peaceful polls

Kishongo

JF-Expert Member
May 4, 2010
BRITISH government has congratulated the people of Tanzania for having peaceful multi-party general elections.

In a press statement issued on Thursday, the British Foreign Office Minister for Africa, Mr Henry Bellingham said UK was looking forward to building on its strong relationship with Tanzania promising to work together in order to advance prosperity and security throughout Africa.

''I congratulate the people of Tanzania on their largely peaceful multi-party elections which were proof of the growing maturity of Tanzanian democracy,'' Mr Bellingham observed.

Mr Bellingham said UK was acknowledging the European Union findings and Commonwealth Election Observation Missions which noted that the elections were a step forward for the country, despite some irregularities and lessons to be learnt.

He welcomed President Jakaya Kikwete's commitment in his inaugural address to take into account the positive and negative points to make improvements in coming elections.

''I congratulate President Kikwete on his re-election as President and I hope that under his leadership, the country will continue to be a model of peaceful development and stability,'' he said.

Mr Bellingham said UK was acknowledging the European Union findings and Commonwealth Election Observation Missions which noted that the elections were a step forward for the country, despite some irregularities and lessons to be learnt.

He welcomed President Jakaya Kikwete's commitment in his inaugural address to take into account the positive and negative points to make improvements in coming elections.

This is a lukewarm statement and these words have a meaning. The relationship will neve be the same as in the past 5 years. Arguably, they acknowledge presence of irregularities in the election process, however, they can not be sure if it was sufficient to change the outcome! Late congratulatory note, and NOT from David Cameroon himself!!!!!!

There are two things that cannot escape the attention of even the most untrained of observers; one, this congraturatory note is directed to the people of tanzania not to Kikwete himself as it has always been the case, and two, they has been an inordinate delay in expressing that congratulations. For those two reasons it's my contention that the British government has a lot reservation about our last election.

Back
Top Bottom