BREAKING NEWS: Pep Guardiola to end reign as Barcelona coach in summer

BabuK

JF-Expert Member
Jul 30, 2008
Pep Guardiola will stand down as Barcelona manager at the end of the season after deciding not to renew his rolling one-year contract.The 41-year-old, who was appointed in 2008 and has led the Catalan club to 13 trophies, will be succeeded by current assistant Tito Vilanova.
Barca look set to miss out to Real Madrid in La Liga and were knocked out of the Champions League by Chelsea.
"The reason is simple: four years is enough," said Guardiola.
"I'm drained and I need to fill up. The demand has been very high and a manager must be strong."
Who is new boss Tito Vilanova?

• Francesc 'Tito' Vilanova was a friend of Pep Guardiola at Barcelona's La Masia academy
  • After progressing to Barcelona B, the midfielder left the club, spending three years with Celta Vigo
  • Following retirement in 2002, the Spaniard joined lower league Barcelona-based side Terrassa FC as technical director
  • The 42-year-old was brought back to coach Barca B when Guardiola took control of the side in 2007
  • He moved up to the role of Guardiola's assistant coach at Barcelona when Pep moved up to the top job in 2008

It is understood the former Spain international will take a year away from football after relinquishing his duties to Vilanova.
"At the beginning of December I announced to the chairman that I was seeing the end of my era at Barcelona," Guardiola continued.
"Time has taken its toll - I rise each day and don't feel the same. I am going with the understanding that I have done my duty.
"You can only recover by resting and getting away from everything. It would have been a bad idea to continue. Perhaps it would not have gone wrong but I have the perception that it would. It is my time to go.
"Now we are out of the two main competitions it is a good time to announce this. I did not want to continue with the confusion.
"I want to thank my players who are responsible for everything that has happened here. I don't want to manage at the moment."
Guardiola was speaking at a news conference attended by many of his players and received rapturous applause at the end.
Guardiola's significance

"The technical relationships on the pitch are the result of years of indoctrination and feverishly practiced drills. That's exactly why the recapture of Gerard Pique from Manchester United and Cesc Fabregas from Arsenal was so important"

The likes of captain Carles Puyol, Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas looked emotional as their coach announced his departure.
Vilanova was not among the favourites to replace Guardiola once it emerged he would be leaving.
But Barca sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta said: "We've always said that if the team needs players, we look at home first. What do we have here at home? Tito.
"We chose Tito because he represents the idea and the image. He has commitment and personality."
Guardiola added: "Barca is making a great choice. He's very capable. The players know him. Even though I won't be here physically - if Tito needs me, I'm here."
Guardiola is the most successful coach in Barca history, with three league titles, two Champions Leagues and a Copa del Rey among his haul.
He has overseen the rise of three-time world player of the year Lionel Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, while signing Fabregas from Arsenal.
Guardiola was particularly close to Messi - describing him as "the best ever" player - while the Argentina forward suggested Guardiola was the main factor behind Barca's recent success.

[h=1]Pep Guardiola - what his players and peers say about him[/h]
[h=2]Guardiola in numbers[/h]Since being appointed as manager of Barcelona in 2008, Pep Guardiola has won 13 trophies: two Champions League crowns, three La Liga trophies, one Copa del Rey, three Supercopas, two Uefa Super Cups and two Fifa Club World Cups.
_59895153_pepguardiola2.jpg
Guardiola during his playing days at Barcelona
Guardiola was only 37 years old when he won his first Champions League trophy in 2009, becoming the youngest manager to lift the trophy.
Barcelona have gained a reputation as a free-flowing, attacking side under Guardiola. This season they have scored 170 goals in all competitions.
Guardiola is also a Barcelona legend from his playing days. He won 17 medals during his career, including six La Liga titles and an Olympic gold with Spain.
The Catalan has won 76.4% of his league games while in charge at the Nou Camp, compared to predecessor Frank Rijkaard's record of 58.9%.
The former central midfielder took charge of 15 "El Clasicos" against rivals Real Madrid as Barcelona manager, winning nine of them.
Barcelona have scored 363 points in 148 league games under the 41-year-old, nine more than Real Madrid (354) and over 100 more than any other side.
Of all the clubs Guardiola has faced in all competitions as Barca manager, he has only failed to register a single victory against one club - Chelsea - failing to beat them in four attempts.
[h=2]What they said about him[/h]"Guardiola is the best possible coach for Barcelona." - Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho.
"Pep is Barca. He lives for this club. That is what differentiates him from many coaches." - Barcelona president Sandro Rosell.
"Pep immediately transmitted an enormous amount of pride in our work, ambition and hunger. He won our confidence from the first day because we could see that things were being done correctly and then when results started to flow the confidence grew with them." - Barcelona striker Lionel Messi.
"He's one of the few intellectuals I have come across in a dressing room, intellectual in the sense he thinks about a lot of things. A lot about football, of course, but also about literature and other cultural things." - Former England coach Fabio Capello.
_59895484_pepandmessi.jpg
Pep Guardiola and Lionel Messi
"He doesn't give himself a minute's rest. He's pig-headed, football is his everything and he puts so much intensity into everything. Pep's almost got a sickness for football." - Barcelona midfielder Xavi.
"Pep Guardiola was a very intelligent player - I always felt that very strongly when I was on the pitch with him. He knew how to move and was very aware of the movement of others." - Former Italy defender Franco Baresi.
"Barca are the best team in the world. I already knew [that] when I got there, and when I left. Guardiola is a fantastic trainer, the problems between us were different." - Former Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
"He has shown that a young tactician can be successful at the highest level. It's my goal to become as successful at Ajax." - Ajax manager and former Barcelona defender Frank de Boer.
"Pep is the secret weapon of this group. Leaving aside the sheer quality of players, he is a very special talent, along with the rest of his coaching staff. Pep Guardiola is one of the best secrets and the most important member of the team." - Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes.
"In my time as manager, it's the best team I've faced." - Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, after Guardiola's Barcelona team beat United in the 2011 Champions League final.