Bookworms of JF, what's your favorite book (s) and why?

Ron Chernow, "Alexander Hamilton".
20200128_222259.jpeg

Sent using Jamii Forums mobile app

I am almost halfway through Ron Chernow's "Alexander Hamilton". An instructive masterpiece.

I must say I slept on this book. I bought it at a midtown New York City Barnes& Nobles in 2004 when it first came out, then stocked it in my special bookshelf for Harvard Classics, US presidents and founders of the republic (US). The bookshelf has so many books it is very easy to forget any book. I forgot about this one.

Years and years passed. College. Roommates.Wall Street. A couple of suburban dad pants. Too many shoes. The book becomes invisible. Another iota on the fixtures of my household.

I entirely missed Lin Manuel Miranda's Broadway play " Hamilton" (based on the book). I had neither the right wallet nor the connections, I think,to get a ticket. I remember thinking I bought the book before Lin Manuel Miranda read his. An example of unrealized potential.

Being a student of the formative years of my adoptive nation, America, I thought this would be an interesting volume. Little did I know what I was getting into. The book is not merely a biography of Hamilton, Hamilton was so entrenched in the formation of what is now known as The United States if America, reading about his life in this book is very close to reading about the formatiin of America(The US).

I can now understand why Lin Manuel Miranda felt so compelled to adopt the book to a Broadway play. As a first generation permanent immigrant to the US, I can identify with "the outsider effect" of coming to America that Hamilton had. As a New Yorker, I can identify with the exhilaration of learning about early New York politics, the division between upstate and New York City, the history, down to the house where president George Washington first used in New York City. As a constitutional enthusiast, the history of "The Federalist Papers" is invaluable.

This book offers so much. Mr. Chernow, through meticulous research (Pulitzer prize winner for his 2011 "Washington, A Life", on the reading list, hopefully soon) transports you from the present to the colonial battles for the independence of the US, intrigues of the inner politics of the 1700s, some of which is just as relevant today, whether in Dodoma or Washington DC. There is so much I thought I knew, only to find out that I didn't, an examole is the politics behind the adoption of the US constitution, the adoption of the US capital (Washington DC), the unspiration of the US revolution on the French one (for some reason I thought it was the other way around, that the French Revolution inspired the American one, but this history corrects that misconception. I am not even done reading the book and I have filled so many gaps in my knowledge.

If the subjects of the formation of new nations, the United States, social revolutions, the struggle between the aristocracy and the hoi polloi, rhetoric refinement, establishment of financial syatems etc interests you enough, this book is a must read.

Mkuu, nakukubali sana.

My Favorites;

Brave New World
Little Women
Before I Fall
48 LOP
The Maze Runner Trilogy
The Kite Runner
Carrie White

I am grateful that you are back, I had planned to tell you how I and my heart feel about by the time you left. I never thought you will be back again, now you are here like you never left. It was one hell of the wait.

So, I am putting myself smart before I do an approach, collecting all beautiful lines there are to tell.
[/QU
yaan ww im so done with you😂😂😂

War and Peace kile kitabu kikubwa sana aisee. Ila nimeangalia movie yake juzi juzi tu hapa.

Hiyo Jack Reacher: the affairs ni kizuri kama unapenda action na mambo ya kijeshi. The Dogs of Wars sijakisoma bado, ila nimesoma vitabu kama vitatu vya Frederick Forsyth, yuko vizuri. Nimesoma “ the day of the Jackal” na “ the Odessa file” ni vitabu vizuri. Vipo
Detailed.

Mkuu nikwamba ukiongelea kitabu, jitahidi sana uweke angalau soft copy na sisi tusome pia.

Homo Deus nacho kimetulia, kuna mambo kapiga mulemule. Ila kajikita zaidi ku project dunia itakavyokuwa baadaye, kwa mfano, watu wanavyoweza kuingilia process ya evolution na kuiongoza wao badala ya kuachia natural selection ichukue mkondo.

Mwaka 1999 nilisoma kitabu cha Bill Gates cha "The Road Ahead". Niliposoma niliona kama utani tu.Alitabiri mambo mengi sana yanayotokea sasa. Tangu hapo nimekuwa na open mind sana na plausible predictions. Come to think of it, being a huge Science Fiction fan, a lot of science was inspired or predicted by authors such as H. G Wells, Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov

Ulimsoma Harari kuhusu "manufactured reality", "paper money" na Pablo Escobar alivyochoma mamilioni ya dola alivyokimbizwa milimani Colombia ili tu binti yake asipate baridi?

Sapiens is worth re-reading. Kuna sehemu alienda so deep kwenye anthropology, halafu kabla huja digest vizuri anakupiga mambo ya molecular biology na DNA.

I just finished Sean Carroll's "The Big Picture: On The Origins of Life, Meaning and The Universe Itself".

Fascinating stuff. I want to read his other books.

This book somehow reminds me of Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time: From The Big Bang To Black Holes".

A classic that opened my eyes a lot.
Nisaidie hiko kitabu inbox mkuu a brief history of time.. kuna mahala niliona uliweka link ila imenipotea aksante

DAE like Anti-love books?

Meet Me Unter the Ombu Tree~~Santa Montefiore.
The Last Girlfriend On Earth~~Simon Rich
Gone Girl~~ Gillian Flynn

Happy Valentine's day guys.

I just finished "On Human Nature" by Edward O. Wilson, fascinating and wide ranging.

Currently reading a historical novel, fact based fiction of family saga, harrowing life in the Spanish Civil War and redemption in emigration to Chile.

The book is called "A Long Petal of The Sea" by Isabel Allende.

Between this Allende book and the last one I read about Pinochet, I am reading a lot about Chile and Spain, I will be traveling there later in the year for work.

I am tiptoeing around a 1,000 page tome that could stop a bullet, let alone a door, professor Paul Preston's "Franco", a biography of the dictator of Spain.

Back
Top Bottom